RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Probability of being a #16 seed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 03/06/10 4:53 pm    ::: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

I saw the term sacrificial lamb being used for a tournament winner, and it got me thinking. Which conference has the sacrificial lamb? Well, we all know that if there is a surprise conference winner with a .500 record, they will end up there. But what about the other spots?

Lowest Ranked Conferences: Great West not included.
SWAC
MEAC
Summitt
Southland
Ohio Valley

The top 2 conferences on this list have at least a 50 percent chance of being a 16. Why? Because in the last 10 years, 4 conferences make up 20 of the 40 #16 seeds. Those are:
SWAC-8
MEAC-5
America East--4
Patriot-3
13 conferences make up the other 20.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/06/10 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course austin peay winning with a losing record should put them as the ALPO award winner (Husky food) although some strong non conference losses may just make the HuskER food instead. Either way pencil them in as one. Seesh!

PostPosted: 03/11/10 3:02 pm    ::: Summit not a 16 Reply Reply with quote

Jackrabbits didn't have a great year, but hung on to win Summit. Two wins over top 50 teams (Gonzaga and Mid TN St) should keep Jacks in 14th seed level.

Summit had three teams that were sub-320 this year. That really dragged down the CRPI.

I'l be a happier Summiter when U So Dak replaces Centenary in 2012.

PostPosted: 03/11/10 4:16 pm    ::: Re: Summit not a 16 Reply Reply with quote

rabidrabbit wrote:
Jackrabbits didn't have a great year, but hung on to win Summit. Two wins over top 50 teams (Gonzaga and Mid TN St) should keep Jacks in 14th seed level.

Summit had three teams that were sub-320 this year. That really dragged down the CRPI.

Good for them. Personally, I suspect that even one win over an RPI top 50 team would have saved them from 16th seed status.

colt13

PostPosted: 03/11/10 4:51 pm    ::: Re: Summit not a 16 Reply Reply with quote

rabidrabbit wrote:

It's not 31-2, but that's how good the program is getting. If they are hitting from 3, they can be dangerous.

Right now, I think the #16's are Austin Peay, SWAC, MEAC, and possibly the NEC if LIU doesn't win.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/11/10 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MEAC will probably not only be a #16, but be Husky food- in a conference like the MEAC, you don’t have your #1 seed lose in the quarters and do better than the worst seed available.

PostPosted: 03/11/10 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep in mind that a #16 seed did actually beat a #1 on #1's home floor...once! So it's possible.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 03/12/10 9:04 am    ::: Re: Summit not a 16 Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
rabidrabbit wrote:

It's not 31-2, but that's how good the program is getting. If they are hitting from 3, they can be dangerous.

Right now, I think the #16's are Austin Peay, SWAC, MEAC, and possibly the NEC if LIU doesn't win.

SDSU has been a good wbb program for years, yes it was DII, so I would just say that they are just finally getting noticed on a more national level since the move to DI

sbjules

PostPosted: 03/12/10 9:21 am    ::: Re: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
I saw the term sacrificial lamb being used for a tournament winner, and it got me thinking. Which conference has the sacrificial lamb? Well, we all know that if there is a surprise conference winner with a .500 record, they will end up there. But what about the other spots?

SWAC
MEAC
Summitt
Southland
Ohio Valley

The top 2 conferences on this list have at least a 50 percent chance of being a 16. Why? Because in the last 10 years, 4 conferences make up 20 of the 40 #16 seeds. Those are:
SWAC-8
MEAC-5
America East--4
Patriot-3

Do you mean the Big West?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/12/10 10:59 am    ::: Re: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
colt13 wrote:

SWAC
MEAC
Summitt
Southland
Ohio Valley

SWAC-8
MEAC-5
America East--4
Patriot-3

No, the Great West- the new conference that has Western teams like NJIT. Their name on the NCAA website is the Trans-America Athletic Conference, which makes a lot more sense. They're not eligible for the tourney yet, so they ought not be included.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 11:05 am    ::: Re: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
No, the Great West- the new conference that has Western teams like NJIT. Their name on the NCAA website is the Trans-America Athletic Conference, which makes a lot more sense. They're not eligible for the tourney yet, so they ought not be included.

I'm pretty sure the Atlantic Sun still owns the TAAC name, unless they've worked something out.

Most people hate poetry
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/12/10 11:45 am    ::: Re: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Atlantic Sun still owns the TAAC name, unless they've worked something out.

Dunno, but when I went to the scoreboard on the NCAA site, Trans-America is listed, as is Atlantic Sun, and Great West isn't. But the link's broken, so maybe they're still in negotiations. Which is good, because Trans-America makes a fuck of a lot more sense.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:57 pm    ::: Re: Probability of being a #16 seed Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
colt13 wrote:

SWAC
MEAC
Summitt
Southland
Ohio Valley

SWAC-8
MEAC-5
America East--4
Patriot-3

Great West is a conglomeration of transition and independents which give these schools a collection of schools to compete with. This is fledgling conference that will not survive as better options come along. But for the current time, it gives the 8 schools a place to play.

Schools in GW conference for all sports:
UT Valley
U South Dakota (joins Summit in 2011-12 school year)
U North Dakota (clear the nickname issue, into Summit)
Chicago St.
NJIT (Newark, NJ)
Texas - Pan American
Houston Baptist

The following independents skipped joining as want to get into more local conferences.

Seattle U.
Longwood
Savannah St.
Newest UCal move-up.

Great West is sponsoring league championships in X-Country, both tracks, tennis, soccer, golf, as well as BB.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 1:13 pm    ::: Bonvicini Reply Reply with quote

Bonvicini was willing to go to Seattle, so hopefully they can put some money behind her and build the program.

filbert

PostPosted: 03/13/10 1:13 pm    ::: South Dakota State vs. Nebraska in Minneapolis? Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State might be the first and only school in NCAA history to be delighted to be dropped down to a 16 seed, if it means that they'll only have to go to Minneapolis to play Nebraska. SDSU drew over 5,500 on a (semi-)neutral court in Sioux Falls (50 mi. from their campus) in the Summit League championship game. Jackrabbit fans will travel well, especially to Minneapolis, and would probably put at least a couple thousand fans into Williams Arena.

Nebraska, on the other hand, would probably not be quite so excited about that prospect. The last time SDSU played NU, the Jackrabbits beat the Huskers on their home floor by 19 the first game of the 2005-06 season, causing Nebraska to buy out the return portion of the home-and-home contract. Nebraska's obviously a very different team now, but I'd guess they still remember that game, and not fondly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: