RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn dominance bad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/11/10 3:28 pm    ::: UConn dominance bad? Reply Reply with quote

What does Nykesha Sales think?

http://chas44.com/?p=437

PostPosted: 03/11/10 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only person who thinks that it may be good for the game that the UConn women are on Sportscenter all the time but their dominance makes for some pretty boring games. I find myself just changing the channel half way through the game.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/11/10 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chasity Melvin said it all here:

Quote:
So some are saying this isnt good for womens basketball. Really? If UConns womens basketball program isnt good for womens basketball then what is? UConn to me is elevating the womens game and paving the way for womens basketball to become stronger across the board.

There is nothing wrong with women basketball players dominating the college game the way they do.

In short, this team is playing ahead of its time. In the future, more teams will play at similar levels of efficiency as the current UConn team. Of course, they could always keep improving...

Mathies to LA 2013
IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 03/11/10 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a quote in the paper from Auriemma along the lines that if people think it's boring, then they don't have to watch.

Probably not the best thing to say when your sport really needs as many folks to watch as possible.

PostPosted: 03/11/10 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was UNLV bad for the men's game? Was Indiana?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/11/10 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

To the media, it's always questionable when women do something well.

PostPosted: 03/11/10 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Chasity Melvin said it all here:

Quote:
So some are saying this isnt good for womens basketball. Really? If UConns womens basketball program isnt good for womens basketball then what is? UConn to me is elevating the womens game and paving the way for womens basketball to become stronger across the board.

There is nothing wrong with women basketball players dominating the college game the way they do.

In short, this team is playing ahead of its time. In the future, more teams will play at similar levels of efficiency as the current UConn team. Of course, they could always keep improving...

I agree with Chasity, UConn's dominance is just gonna make women's bball better and stronger for the future. I love watching UConn, yeah it can get boring, but I can't get enough of how they play the game Smile

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/11/10 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a national writer's standpoint, the state of NCAA women's basketball focuses almost solely on UConn. It's the Huskies vs. the field, really, and so there are a limited number of topics (again for a more general audience).

The "dominance" issue is as much an issue of media laziness/lack of other subjects as it is an important story.

PostPosted: 03/11/10 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN's brilliance is a thing of beauty, much like Secretariat's running away from the field in his heyday.

Count me among those who would much rather watch a 30 point UCONN blowout win over anyone than one of those hotly contested, 48-46 final score games where no one could finish at the rim, the teams combined for 42 turnovers and shooting percentages were below 33%. That kind of game is incredibly boring even with a last second winning shot.

I'll take great basketball played beautifully and with precision any day.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/11/10 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cujo wrote:
UCONN's brilliance is a thing of beauty, much like Secretariat's running away from the field in his heyday.

Count me among those who would much rather watch a 30 point UCONN blowout win over anyone than one of those hotly contested, 48-46 final score games where no one could finish at the rim, the teams combined for 42 turnovers and shooting percentages were below 33%. That kind of game is incredibly boring even with a last second winning shot.

I'll take great basketball played beautifully and with precision any day.

I don't know, one of my favorite games ever was 48-42.

Seriously, though, I can admire the way UConn plays on both ends of the court. Teams that have greatness on defense and offense are very rare.

Cui7

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly do not mind watching UCONN's play. I do not like watching their games though because they are not competitive but UCONN's play is a thing of beauty. They are dominant because they have the talent concentrated on that one team. The past two seasons the talent pool has not been deep. Skylar D., the heralded freshman class of C. Viv's, Tennessee's, etc. are not anywhere as talented or deep as '08. UCONN's dominance, in terms of viewership and tournament attendance, has been bad for women's basketball. The '09 championship game had a 1.1 rating Shocked . Which is pretty fuckin terrible. I think that this year's will be worst Shocked .

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

depends on the opponent.

People that talk about last year forget that no one (1) cared about Louisville or (2) thought they had a chance after UConn beat them already

Stanford (revenge), Nebraska (unbeatens), Tennessee (duh!), and even Baylor (duh again) would produce a decent rating IMO.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
People that talk about last year forget that no one (1) cared about Louisville or (2) thought they had a chance after UConn beat them already

Of teams that actually had a chance to get there, Louisville was the worst possible opponent for UConn in terms of ratings and interest.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Of teams that actually had a chance to get there, Louisville was the worst possible opponent for UConn in terms of ratings and interest.

Agreed. I remember from the Sweet 16 on you kept saying please spare us from a UConn/Louisville final.

Cui7

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN WOMEN TALLY RECORD BREAKING STREAK OF 71 WINS

Quote:
JUDY WOODRUFF: Now, it wasn't so long ago that there were several women's college teams that were doing well. What changed? I mean, what happened?

CHRISTINE BRENNAN: Yes, it's a great question. And it concerns me.

I must admit, I'm a little worried about women's basketball, when you have got this kind of dominance. It would be one thing, Judy, to say this in 1990. Title IX was signed by Richard Nixon in June of 1972. That opened the playing fields of America to girls, as well as boys.

So, I would say 1990, even 2000, you would expect this kind of dominance. I'm surprised that, in 2010, we're seeing one team being so strong, where there's no one getting within 10 points, 12 points -- Stanford was in December. That's as close as anyone has gotten.

This team has only been behind in three games in the second half of the 71-game streak. And I'm surprised, and I think it's a little worrisome, that, in the depth, with all these girls, you know, hundreds of thousands of girls playing basketball in our country, where is another team rising to the challenge? Right now, we don't see it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports/jan-june10/uconn_03-09.html

Last edited by Cui7 on 03/12/10 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cui7

PostPosted: 03/12/10 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
depends on the opponent.

Stanford (revenge), Nebraska (unbeatens), Tennessee (duh!), and even Baylor (duh again) would produce a decent rating IMO.

Honestly, Stanford (west coast team who has lost to UCONN two times in a row by double digits) and Nebraska will not make people tune in. A championship game between UCONN and Tennessee won't happen because Tennessee will be on the same side of the bracket as UCONN. I think people would tune in to a championship between UCONN and the Brittney Griners.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/10 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cui7 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
depends on the opponent.

Honestly, Stanford (west coast team who has lost to UCONN two times in a row by double digits) and Nebraska will not make people tune in. A championship game between UCONN and Tennessee won't happen because Tennessee will be on the same side of the bracket as UCONN. I think people would tune in to a championship between UCONN and the Brittney Griners.

If Nebraska gets there undefeated it will bring people in. Lots of them will tune out by the half, when the Hussies will be up by 20 or so, but it would draw some eyeballs.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cui7 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
depends on the opponent.

If Nebraska gets there undefeated it will bring people in. Lots of them will tune out by the half, when the Hussies will be up by 20 or so, but it would draw some eyeballs.

True. But that is why I believe a championship game between UCONN and Nebraska will not be a ratings winner -- rating of 2.0 in the first half, then people change the channel, and it is a rating of 1.5 the second half. That could analogous for a championship game between Baylor and UCONN.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 03/12/10 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ratings wise I don't know how it would be, but the best chance to see Connecticut lose would be to Stanford. Especially since it seems that Stanford is a much better team than they were the first time. Bur ratings wise I'm not so sure since they aren't really talked about.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 03/12/10 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cui7 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
depends on the opponent.

This is why I have a problem with what Geno said: if you don't like it, don't watch.

Not to worry, Geno........most people probably won't be watcihng, even the diehards. When their streak hits 78 or so and the season is over, will anyone even notice? Doubtful, but according to geno that's not a big deal.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, please, what did you expect him to say?

People'd be pissed if he said, oh watch my team they are a thing of beauty. Then he'd be arrogant and obnoxious.

So he stated the obvious, if you don't like it dont' watch, and now people have a problem with that.

The guy can't win.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/10 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
The guy can't win.

That's all he does. Hence, the problem.

PostPosted: 03/12/10 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
The guy can't win.

That's all he does. Hence, the problem.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/12/10 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Agreed. I remember from the Sweet 16 on you kept saying please spare us from a UConn/Louisville final.

But Mikey, Louisville spared us from having to see RQ's thunder clapping expo. I'm forever indebted to Jeff Walz, Angel McCoughtry, and Desiree Byrd for that marvelous performance! Very Happy

But yeah, that game sucked big ones.

Mathies to LA 2013
stats47

PostPosted: 03/12/10 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Did those teams win 72 consecutive games by 30+ points while making their opponents look like fourth graders in a sport that hasn't established its niche in the United States?

I'm not saying that UConn is bad for the game, because I don't think they are, but those situations aren't completely comparable, and those who say that UConn is bad for the game make a solid argument.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: