RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LPGA: A look back at the 50's and 60's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 03/04/10 8:14 am    ::: LPGA: A look back at the 50's and 60's Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Once the tournament was over, the women would pack up the paint, the hazard stakes, and the scoreboard and head on down the road. That's right. They traveled with their own scoreboard.

“We all felt like we should have a scoreboard or something to show the public,” said Spork, “so somehow we got one and Betty Hicks attached it to the roof of her car and carried it from tournament to tournament.”

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=23063&mid=2

This is an excellent read. When you think about the WNBA and it's fledgling status. Read this look back at the early days of the LPGA.

PostPosted: 03/05/10 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This link brings up memories of the 1971(?) Women's LPGA Championship played at LaGrange Country Club (IL).

My Dad, (an avid golfer) took me (teenaged 'women's rights advocate') to the Friday round. I wasn't and still am not into golf.

I remember Dad pointing out Patti Berg and Carole Mann, mentioning that they were 'pioneering something great for women in sports'. I believe this was one of the first years for Laura Berg, first of an era I considered the 'Sweater-class' Wink of women's professional golfers.

At any rate, seeing two of the all-time greats of the game was a special treat....even when Mann's drive down the 16th(?) fairway hit a tree about five feet from where we were standing Shocked ......that got a bunch of us fans moving pretty quickly....and also put us in close proximity to her on her subsequent shot...... Cool

vanyogan

PostPosted: 03/05/10 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
This link brings up memories of the 1971(?) Women's LPGA Championship played at LaGrange Country Club (IL).

My Dad, (an avid golfer) took me (teenaged 'women's rights advocate') to the Friday round. I wasn't and still am not into golf.

I remember Dad pointing out Patti Berg and Carole Mann, mentioning that they were 'pioneering something great for women in sports'. I believe this was one of the first years for Laura Berg, first of an era I considered the 'Sweater-class' Wink of women's professional golfers.

At any rate, seeing two of the all-time greats of the game was a special treat....even when Mann's drive down the 16th(?) fairway hit a tree about five feet from where we were standing Shocked ......that got a bunch of us fans moving pretty quickly....and also put us in close proximity to her on her subsequent shot...... Cool

I'm sure they were all great back then, but these girls today are amazing. I had probably seen at least a dozen PGA Tour events, and one Champions event, before I saw the LPGA. These days I'd rather see the LPGA. Not only are they good, many are quite nice to look at, and some pretty good personalities out there as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: