RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft Prospects Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/10 6:22 pm    ::: Draft Prospects Discussion Reply Reply with quote

I’m hoping others will add comments /thoughts/observations on these players.
A brief look at what we’ve seen so far from our potential 2010 draftees specifically (but not exclusively) in the tournament:

Appel continues to look injured. Hard to assess how this affects her draft stock but probably won't.
Amber Harris appears to be leaning toward another year in college.
Jenna Smith – One of the most consistent double double players in the college game. Her defense at the next level is a question, and she’s been struggling with injuries this year. A nice player to watch, but not spectacular.
Jacinta Monroe -Very athletic yet pretty inconsistent too.
Marginean (Drexel) great numbers all year but I have no idea if she is/isn’t a potential W player.
Rachele Fitz (Marist) also great numbers and obviously has done a fantastic job in the MAAC but I don’t see a translation to the W.
Bridgette Ardossi (GT) – Assume she will get a look somewhere?
Nicole Michael – athletic but all her shooting percentages suck.
Alyssa DeHaan – the more I see of her, the less I can imagine a W team even drafting her. She’s very tall and has a nice touch but if she can’t even be competitive in many college games, how can she possibly be considered a W prospect.

Almost Posts/Wings:
Alysha Clark looked really good – and for me her stock went up. She showed she could dribble and drive which is what she will be expected to do at the next level. She is good enough at what she does that I think she will learn what it is she needs to learn to make it in the W. She has a very quick first step. Defense is a question.
Kelsey Griffin continues to look solid, if undersized. In a way she’s similar to Clark – a bit taller but not as athletic. Her defense will help her but I’m not sure she can overcome the size issue.
Vivian Freisen (Gonazaga) – Has been spectacular in the tourney. We will see if she can continue to do so. Agler was probably hoping to keep her a Washington state secret but it didn’t turn out that way. She showed the whole kit and caboodle, from playing point forward to blocking shots of taller players. If she plays like that next weekend she will be a first round pick. Bowman has gotten the press, but I wonder if her numbers would look so good without Freisen and Vandersloot.
T. Cunningham (OkState) – Can stroke the ball but doubtful for the next level.

Guards/Wings:
Monica Wright held up her team as best she could but couldn’t carry them all by herself.
Alison Lacey – Pneumonia has definitely affected her play. It may well affect her position in the draft too. I still think she can contribute.
Kalana Greene – Kind of inconsistent and not too spectacular. Not sure where she goes or if she sticks but she will def get an opportunity. Hard to assess how she would have been in college without Maya and Tina. But she does play defense.
Amanda Thompson (OU) – One of this draft’s wildcards. Has always been very athletic and persistent, but inconsistent. She plays hard but doesn’t always make the best decisions. Lately she has definitely made a case for herself and has been rising in the draft.
Pilyapaitas – I didn’t get to see their games. Any comments? Any Possibilities? And what about Kotsopoulos?
Brittainey Raven (Texas) – I have always expected more from her. She’s always ok and makes some nice plays and then disappears.
Tanisha Smith (A&M) – See Raven above but I think Smith is slightly better

Guards:
Andrea Riley – Enough talk about her in other thread.
Ashley Houts – She plays hard and actually plays defense. Quietly goes about her bizness and gets it done. Quickness could be an issue.
Allison Hightower (LSU) – continues to be one of the top guards in the draft.
Bianca Thomas (Miss) – dynamic scorer.
Alexis Rack (Miss St.) Small but very very quick and can really shoot the ball when she gets hot. Not a great ATO ratio but it’s at least positive.
Merideth Marsh Small but great shooter and brings lots of intangibles.
Tyra Grant (PSU) – I haven’t seen enough of her to offer an opinion (anybody?)
Jene Morris – (San Diego St) Has looked great. One of the most athletic. But she gets a lot of TOs -you have to think the jump to the W is a big one, but it looks like she will go fairly high.
Brittany Ray (Rutgers) - Like Raven and Smith only smaller.
Lexi Gray-Lawson(Cal) Her middle name should be inconsistent - can look great one day and terrible the next. I don’t see a lot of room for a guard who shoots lots of threes at 30%, isn’t good from the FT and has more TOs than assists.
Taylor Lilley (Ore) – small but quick and very consistent long range shooter. Less touted but similar to Merideth Marsh. Probably not W quality.
Marandola (Providence) is in the WNIT. I haven’t seen her but her numbers have been solid all year. Anybody?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/24/10 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johannah Leedham continuing to light it up for Franklin Pierce in the DII tournament, and fill practically every column of the boxscore. Semi-finals tonight (live on ESPNU in the US, for anyone who cares).

FS02

PostPosted: 03/24/10 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't heard much talk about Rack but her numbers in the tourney are impressive. What about the other Mississippi St. player?

Taylor Lilley is a fun player with unlimited range... I'd like to see her at least get to play in a preseason game.

Ashley Houts sounds like Tully Bevilaqua.

PostPosted: 03/24/10 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle: I agree with all your assessments. Lots of questions on some of the possible players.

Questionable:

DeHaan: she's 6'9" and practically worthless, except for blocks and getting the ball in from out of bounds. Her height will get her drafted and could hang on, i.e., Brooke Smith, Misty Williams (Bass?), etc.

Raven: Not sure what her bag is. Tulsa might take her in the 3rd round for 40 minutes of Hell but she could go in the 2nd to someone

Pilyapaitas: Wasn't that impressed with her but only saw her play one game so.......

Marsh: Don't see her making it.

Ray: Don't see her making it but there's always mediocre players that hang on.

Jenna Smith: Plays in the Big 10, plays hard but unspectacular. Should get drafted and could hold on somewhere. Big 10 players are hard to assess well.

Tyra Grant of Penn State. Saw her play a few times and she looked good but it's hard for me to assess as she plays in the Big 10.

A. Clark. If she can play the 2 or 3 position, as she claims, she should be good. At the 4 I don't think she has it.

CRASH

PostPosted: 03/24/10 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
I haven't heard much talk about Rack but her numbers in the tourney are impressive. What about the other Mississippi St. player?

Taylor Lilley is a fun player with unlimited range... I'd like to see her at least get to play in a preseason game.

Ashley Houts sounds like Tully Bevilaqua.

Rack is a lot like Riley, except Rack can pass the ball!

Houts is a lot like Tully! good comparison!

PostPosted: 03/24/10 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Con- Tina Charles
2. Min- Jayne Appel
3. Min- Monica Wright
4. Chi- Epiphanny Prince
5. SA- Allison Hightower
6. Was- Kelsey Griffin
7. Tul- Andrea Riley
8. LA- Jacinta Monroe
9. ATL- Kalana Greene
10. Sea- Allison Lacey
11. Ind- Alysha Clark
12. LA- Daniell Mccray

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/24/10 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must've missed it. Did Amber Harris mention on TV or through print Media that she would be returning to Xavier for a 5th season or is it someone on this board posting their own thoughts ?

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/24/10 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I must've missed it. Did Amber Harris mention on TV or through print Media that she would be returning to Xavier for a 5th season or is it someone on this board posting their own thoughts ?

I think Katie Smith said something about it in her press conference for signing with the Mystics. Not sure tho...

PostPosted: 03/25/10 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I think Katie Smith said something about it in her press conference for signing with the Mystics. Not sure tho...

That's odd why would Katie Smith mention Amber Harris name during a press conference concerning the Mystics, if that's true ?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/10 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

That's odd why would Katie Smith mention Amber Harris name during a press conference concerning the Mystics, if that's true ?

Obviously, Washington wants her if she comes out. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
colt13

PostPosted: 03/25/10 10:19 am    ::: 2010 Draft Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle has already hit on most everything so there isn't much for me to say so I will only add a little.

Leedham has been on tv 4-5 times this year, and yesterday is the first time I have seen her have a bad game. As the leading D-2 scorer in history, I want a 3rd rounder used on her.

DeHaan-I like her. I know it pisses people off that she's a 6-9 finess player, but a good outside shot and 80% form the line makes her worth a look.

Frieson can have a 10 yr career as a 6th woman. Solid all around game.

Monroe is interesting because she rarely stands out when I watch her, and that reminds me that I should consider...

Dowdell- she's 6-2 and I think she goes in the same category as Clark, where i'm not sure what position they are going to play, but they are skilled winners.

Houts and Rack I can't get good reads of because they play poorly every time I watch them. Edited to say after the Stanford game, Houts will not make it on the next level.

Last edited by colt13 on 03/28/10 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
colt13

PostPosted: 03/25/10 10:23 am    ::: Draft Reply Reply with quote

Since Prince's name was brought up, that reminds me of the good leagues overseas. So are there any foreign players on the radar for this draft?

justynkarr

PostPosted: 03/26/10 12:09 am    ::: Re: Draft Prospects Discussion Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Amanda Thompson (OU) – One of this draft’s wildcards. Has always been very athletic and persistent, but inconsistent. She plays hard but doesn’t always make the best decisions. Lately she has definitely made a case for herself and has been rising in the draft.

I definitely agree. I think her play in the next game(s) could really help her continue to catch the eye of GMs. Hopefully she will come out stronger than she did against UALR. Smile

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/26/10 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Johannah Leedham continuing to light it up for Franklin Pierce in the DII tournament, and fill practically every column of the boxscore. Semi-finals tonight (live on ESPNU in the US, for anyone who cares).

I haven't had the opportunity to watch he play, do you think she had done enough to get drafted or invited to a training camp?

Chilly1948

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chanel Mokongo of Miss. State - 1st round post(?)

scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/27/10 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

viv's last name is spelled 'frieson', no second 'r'. i just heard doris burke say it with the 2nd 'r' as well. it is 'frieson'.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/gonz-w-baskbl-mtt.html

PostPosted: 03/28/10 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chilly1948 wrote:
Chanel Mokongo of Miss. State - 1st round post(?)

1st round might be a stretch but I hope she gets a look

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/10 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder will Alison Lacey's draft stock drop after the UConn/Iowa St game.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

There's only one team dumb enough to consider her in the first round anyway. Let's see if they're watching. She's sucked the entire tournament, so it's not like today is any exception.

Mathies to LA 2013
scullyfu

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

There's only one team dumb enough to consider her in the first round anyway. Let's see if they're watching. She's sucked the entire tournament, so it's not like today is any exception.

i know you have serious concerns/issues with her game, but to be fair, she has been extremely ill with pneumonia since before the conference tourney. not that it would really make any difference against uconn, but i think maybe a little slack needs to be cut for her. Wink

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, UConn has made Lacey look slow and uncoordinated. She won't be a WNBA PG, even off the bench, that is for sure.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

i know you have serious concerns/issues with her game, but to be fair, she has been extremely ill with pneumonia since before the conference tourney. not that it would really make any difference against uconn, but i think maybe a little slack needs to be cut for her. Wink

This is my only extended viewing of her. I guess maybe I should withhold judgment.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

This one game shouldn't have much effect. She's not a lottery pick in any event, but she's no worse than the other soon-to-be-scrubs that are likely to go late first.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

Point well taken re pneumonia and production in NCAA Tourney, but to be fair she looked slow and uncoordinated long before contracting the illness. Systems player...

Mathies to LA 2013
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/10 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'll keep an eye on Jacinta Monroe during the FSU/Miss St. game. The Mystics probably will pick a post player with the 6th pick in the upcoming draft.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-florida-state-miss-state-032.artmar28,0,7150513.story

Quote:
Florida State's 6-foot-5 senior forward will step onto a bigger stage as a highly regarded prospect, perhaps becoming the third frontcourt player drafted after UConn's Tina Charles and Stanford's Jayne Appel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: