Board Junkies Forums

Pondexter to NY?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/28/10 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO!

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not going to argue with an infant who's been around on and off, is a fair weather fan who mysteriously disappears when their team is sucking (now who needs to wear their big boy pants?) and is trying to get the best of me without offering any insight as to why this trade works other than saying it's Cappie. Well, DUH! Of course it's Cappie, who doesn't want Cappie on their team?
I don't know what the deal is. Or maybe I do know and I can't say. Now do you know if we kept the pick? No, you don't, yet you ASSume we did and it'll be a consolation prize for sucking. Sucking with Cappie, sucking with Christon, doesn't make the slightest difference. We needed both not to suck. That's what you don't get and never will because you're just trying get a rise out of Liberty fans, not analyze the options if Christon is included in this deal. You're just VeProf's honor student.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the worst case scenario standing still would be to go 17-17 or 18-16....and mediocrity along with the resulting draft position would truly be worst-case. Given a diluted Eastern Conference and the addition of Powell, I think that would be enough for a 4 game improvement. The odds of getting Maya Moore next year appear rather slim with the way Tulsa is looking right now. The rest of the East is not too dominant either. Connecticut has a second year point guard. Chicago has point guard questions, even if they acquire Meka. Washington has questionable interior defense and an exciting but at times erratic offense. Atlanta has PG questions and Marynell Meadors. Tulsa has a rookie head coach and a dilapidated team. The only team that is an odds-on favorite to finish ahead of us is Indy. I am not saying we will finish second...but it is certainly possible. Cappie would be the best offensive player in the conference, and Powell would be no slouch, especially with a player like Cappie setting her up. Whatever defensive problems we might have, couldn't be all that much worse on the perimeter than we were the last two seasons. This idea of sitting here and hoping for Maya Moore is not likely to work even by standing pat. May as well go for it and get the top-notch player we have always lacked.

You add a superstar like Cappie for a player like Christon, you do it. Cappie has a domino effect on other players. She makes them better, which is something Christon doesn't do. To say we are "settling" is not really the case.

DTP, I was the one who mentioned Powell over Meka...and believe me, I am still excited about the chance to get Cappie. I think the problem with Powell is probably that teams started talking about that 2011 R1 pick in addition...or whatever else in addition. Me personally, I'd rather that. But I am not really whining or all that broken up over it. Cappie is one of a handful of franchise players in the women's game. I'll take it.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 03/28/10 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if given the choice of trading the Libs 2011 1st rd pick & Powell or Christon & Kraayveld which deal would please the Libs fans.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG, can we get a news ticker rolling here somewhere?
NY DIDN'T NEED TO TRADE CHRISTON. DEAL WOULD GET DONE REGARDLESS.
Admins?

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Usually teams in the same conference play each other four times so I'm sure that's why Beard said that...I'm sure she didn't go through any schedules and count individually the times Washington plays New York or Chicago. It was more of a damn, your in my conference now type of thing and I have to see you 4 times instead of 2.

I definitely agree that some people need to grow up. Going to a player's personal page to harass them because their favorite player is getting traded for them is just completely ridiculous imo. If I was ever a professional athlete, I definitely would keep all of my things like myspace, facebook, twitter and whatever else it is private...just because of idiot fans like whoever that was. This is a freakin business, its professional sports...players are going to do what's best for them, teams will do the same, and people need to freakin live with it. If you can't accept it, don't watch/support professional sports.

As for the upset Liberty fans...umm newsflash, to get a little you have to receive a little....unless of course your the Detroit Shock and SFO is your GM but those days are no longer. Christon is a great player...is a nice All-Star...BUT Cappie is a superstar and will give NY some things Christon can't offensively. For the longest NY has been needing a guard who can create their own shot...hmm Cappie is that. She significantly upgrades their backcourt offensively, which has held them back the last few years imo. Lets remember, you also have Nicole Powell who isn't no scrub herself, so even though you lose Christon...I'll take a combination of Pondexter and Powell over Christon any day. Some of you are whining that NY could have dealt Powell over Christon...I'm pretty sure NY tried that option first and the other teams wouldn't take it. Once again, have to give to receive.... Sure she was probably nice to fans, a fan favorite, and all that good stuff but still...as a General Manager you make moves to improve your team, to give your team the best chance to win. I have no problem with her shipping off the "face of the franchise" to get better. Cappie will be the new face of the franchise.

NY was absolutely horrible last season...and for the longest you guys have been crying for Blaze to do something, and no she finally does and you guys bitch and whine some more. Like CB said...the woman can never win. I'm very interested to see how this deal will work out, hopefully it'll be completed very soon....like tomorrow!

"Whoever that was" went on a Twitter rant about this mess, accidentally used Pondexter's handle, got her attention, and made an apology to her through the same medium (and also got a thwack upside the head as someone else worked out her frustration with the whole mess). Just for the sake of clarification so people will stop piling on.

And it's not just that Shameka is the "face of the franchise". It's that she gave up half an overseas season, with the money that would bring in, to come back to New York and sell tickets for this team. That she called people personally to get them to renew. That she made sure she made personal contact with them, talked to them and had them respond instead of just leaving a message or a recorded call. That at least one poster here credits his/her renewal exclusively and explicitly to Shameka reaching out. To turn around and trade her because other players on other teams want out... why should we? We're not the ones presented with the ultimatum, so why are we bending over for Phoenix, Chicago, and whoever else might be involved?

If we have two players who are very close in talent, except that one has busted her ass to market this team and the other has worn the uniform for one exhibition event, why are we keeping the new one and offering up the one who's established herself? Why, when the two teams we KNOW are involved are both against the wall? Why, when both Shameka and Powell would play the same role in either Phoenix's offense-heavy system or Chicago's no-one-knows-what-the-fuck's-going-on-here "system"? Why, when Powell could bring playoff and championship experience to Chicago or wherever, when the furthest Meka's gone has been losing in the ECF? Why, when fucking this up could lose more ticket sales than gaining Pondexter? (Could. Not sure, hence not using would.) Why, when sending Shameka off- especially if her end is to Chicago- falls into the pattern of fucking over damn near EVERY SINGLE player who has put in time for the Liberty?

Have we forgotten Tari-gate? Non-tendering VJ and lying about it? "Shove your Robinson and Baranova jerseys to the back of the closet"? The way Spoon's departure was handled, how long it took for that major bridge to be mended, the fact that she showed up to one game a few years back in opposing colors to cheer on someone on the opposing team? The fact that the 2010 NCAA tournament was the first time I've heard Rebecca Lobo acknowledge that at some point she was affiliated with the Liberty since she retired after the 2003 season? Hell, even the handling of the Hammon trade was fucked up, and y'all know my distaste for Hammon.

I'm not thrilled about Pondexter demanding a deal to a specific team, but I wouldn't object to making a fair trade for her- but fair for ALL parties in the situation in which they find themselves. If Pondexter has forced Phoenix's hand, Phoenix doesn't get to force ours in response, and Chicago certainly doesn't.

Sorry to unload on you, DTP, I know you're still hurtin' about the way things went down in Detroit and the way Mr. Davidson's relict stabbed the Shock and its fans in the back, and at least we have a team to bitch about.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
I think the worst case scenario standing still would be to go 17-17 or 18-16....and mediocrity along with the resulting draft position would truly be worst-case. Given a diluted Eastern Conference and the addition of Powell, I think that would be enough for a 4 game improvement. The odds of getting Maya Moore next year appear rather slim with the way Tulsa is looking right now. The rest of the East is not too dominant either. Connecticut has a second year point guard. Chicago has point guard questions, even if they acquire Meka. Washington has questionable interior defense and an exciting but at times erratic offense. Atlanta has PG questions and Marynell Meadors. Tulsa has a rookie head coach and a dilapidated team. The only team that is an odds-on favorite to finish ahead of us is Indy. I am not saying we will finish second...but it is certainly possible. Cappie would be the best offensive player in the conference, and Powell would be no slouch, especially with a player like Cappie setting her up. Whatever defensive problems we might have, couldn't be all that much worse on the perimeter than we were the last two seasons. This idea of sitting here and hoping for Maya Moore is not likely to work even by standing pat. May as well go for it and get the top-notch player we have always lacked.

You add a superstar like Cappie for a player like Christon, you do it. Cappie has a domino effect on other players. She makes them better, which is something Christon doesn't do. To say we are "settling" is not really the case.

DTP, I was the one who mentioned Powell over Meka...and believe me, I am still excited about the chance to get Cappie. I think the problem with Powell is probably that teams started talking about that 2011 R1 pick in addition...or whatever else in addition. Me personally, I'd rather that. But I am not really whining or all that broken up over it. Cappie is one of a handful of franchise players in the women's game. I'll take it.

I'll have to agree with you here. Definitely getting Cappie far outweighs MAYBE getting Maya Moore. As good as Moore is, she is not a whiz with the ball in her hands like Cappie is--not even close.

Mathies to LA 2013
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I wonder if given the choice of trading the Libs 2011 1st rd pick & Powell or Christon & Kraayveld which deal would please the Libs fans.

For some it is clearly neither.

I'd rather Powell and a 1...or Powell and a flip-flop of 1s with Jackson involved.

But Christon/Kraay is still good for Cappie as the return.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Admins?

Apparently the Mercury didn't want Christon or Powell that's why it seems Dupree is headed to Phoenix and Chicago wanted Christon over Powell.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Admins?

What would you propose that you feel would get a deal done?

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
DTP wrote:
Usually teams in the same conference play each other four times so I'm sure that's why Beard said that...I'm sure she didn't go through any schedules and count individually the times Washington plays New York or Chicago. It was more of a damn, your in my conference now type of thing and I have to see you 4 times instead of 2.

I definitely agree that some people need to grow up. Going to a player's personal page to harass them because their favorite player is getting traded for them is just completely ridiculous imo. If I was ever a professional athlete, I definitely would keep all of my things like myspace, facebook, twitter and whatever else it is private...just because of idiot fans like whoever that was. This is a freakin business, its professional sports...players are going to do what's best for them, teams will do the same, and people need to freakin live with it. If you can't accept it, don't watch/support professional sports.

As for the upset Liberty fans...umm newsflash, to get a little you have to receive a little....unless of course your the Detroit Shock and SFO is your GM but those days are no longer. Christon is a great player...is a nice All-Star...BUT Cappie is a superstar and will give NY some things Christon can't offensively. For the longest NY has been needing a guard who can create their own shot...hmm Cappie is that. She significantly upgrades their backcourt offensively, which has held them back the last few years imo. Lets remember, you also have Nicole Powell who isn't no scrub herself, so even though you lose Christon...I'll take a combination of Pondexter and Powell over Christon any day. Some of you are whining that NY could have dealt Powell over Christon...I'm pretty sure NY tried that option first and the other teams wouldn't take it. Once again, have to give to receive.... Sure she was probably nice to fans, a fan favorite, and all that good stuff but still...as a General Manager you make moves to improve your team, to give your team the best chance to win. I have no problem with her shipping off the "face of the franchise" to get better. Cappie will be the new face of the franchise.

NY was absolutely horrible last season...and for the longest you guys have been crying for Blaze to do something, and no she finally does and you guys bitch and whine some more. Like CB said...the woman can never win. I'm very interested to see how this deal will work out, hopefully it'll be completed very soon....like tomorrow!

"Whoever that was" went on a Twitter rant about this mess, accidentally used Pondexter's handle, got her attention, and made an apology to her through the same medium (and also got a thwack upside the head as someone else worked out her frustration with the whole mess). Just for the sake of clarification so people will stop piling on.

I Just want to make it 100% clear that IT WAS NOT ME WHO DID THAT, it's not my style. I don't blame Cappie, hell I haven't even written to the Liberty on there about this. I have not commented on the Liberty and this trade anywhere but here, and that's no lie!

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

I Just want to make it 100% clear that IT WAS NOT ME WHO DID THAT, it's not my style. I don't blame Cappie, hell I haven't even written to the Liberty on there about this. I have not commented on the Liberty and this trade anywhere but here, and that's no lie!

For what it might be worth coming from a total stranger, I didn't think that was you either given your posting style, which is usually pretty even-keeled.

shontay33

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
Just read cappie's twitter page and she was upset that some fan totally dissed her. I just wanted to know where is the actual proof that Cappie wanted to be traded because she did not say that on twitter or anywhere else. People have to understand that business is busines. Obivously she takes this to heart. We need to remember that she is arestricted free agent and that if NY or any other team then phoenix has to match the offer. Phoenix does not want cappie to go to another team but they might not be able to match the offers of other teams. Can somebody please prove that cappie wants a trade. Or like someone said earlier she should speak about this issue even though she is probably advised not to by her agentm

I have the word of a person associated with another team who I respect.
If they say Cappie demanded a trade I believe it

Well tell that person to put it out there then or prove it. Till cappie says it which she nor any others who are involved say anthing then this socalled infomation is just a rumor.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:

For what it might be worth coming from a total stranger, I didn't think that was you either given your posting style, which is usually pretty even-keeled.

Thank you! I only saw the tweet because Cappie re-tweeted it (only after reading about it here did I see it), I hate being accused of something that I had nothing to do with..

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

Vouching for this. I'm surprised anyone thought it WAS you. You're an even-keeled sort of fellow, and I didn't even think you had a Twitter.

If I could be sure there wouldn't be a witch-hunt in response, I'd ask the ranter to say who he was, but I really, really, really, really am not in the mood to mod the hell out of the personal attacks that people would think were justified because of what he said.

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I'm not going to argue with an infant who's been around on and off, is a fair weather fan who mysteriously disappears when their team is sucking (now who needs to wear their big boy pants?) and is trying to get the best of me without offering any insight as to why this trade works other than saying it's Cappie. Well, DUH! Of course it's Cappie, who doesn't want Cappie on their team?
I don't know what the deal is. Or maybe I do know and I can't say. Now do you know if we kept the pick? No, you don't, yet you ASSume we did and it'll be a consolation prize for sucking. Sucking with Cappie, sucking with Christon, doesn't make the slightest difference. We needed both not to suck. That's what you don't get and never will because you're just trying get a rise out of Liberty fans, not analyze the options if Christon is included in this deal. You're just VeProf's honor student.

Haha...when have I ever mysteriously disappeared or ever been a fair weather fan? Pleaaaaaaaase let me in on that one because I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

And no I don't know what the deal is and I'm not going to sit here and front like most of you and act like I do. I know adding Cappie and Powell at the loss of Christon is an upgrade for 2010. The East isn't that damn strong, adding another piece or whatever and who knows...they may be right back in the conference finals battling to get in the Finals and possibly win another championship, which I believe some of you forget....that's the ultimate goal!

Say New York stands pat, doesn't do anything but suck next year again....and then gets the 2nd or 3rd overall pick instead of the 1st? Then Cappie isn't available again...so missed out on a superstar, twice! In this day, especially with the way this league is on rocky grounds...have to think about today, not tomorrow. You need three really good offensive players to be somewhat decent in this league, adding Cappie would give them Cappie, Powell, and McCarville. Cappie...the guard that can play either one or two, create her own shot, create for others when she needs to, and take over games at the end. Powell who can shoot the ball and use her size to put points on the board. And then McCarville who's a beast inside when healthy...I like the looks of that and can't see how anyone could complain about that.

And I didn't assume anything about any picks involved or not. What I said was, Cappie is better then anyone not named Maya Moore in the 2011 draft. So bottom line, if you don't make this deal and you don't show up with Moore next season, you failed twice. Sitting back year after year, wishing and hoping to get the first pick so someone can come "save" your franchise isn't going to get you very far....isn't going to put butts in the seats. If you have a chance to immediately improve your team, adding two All-Stars...one that happens to be a Superstar..and only lose one All-Star in the process, do it.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

Well that's good to hear...still don't like you, though.

Mathies to LA 2013
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:

Well that's good to hear...still don't like you, though.

Feeling is mutual...

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Str8_Butta wrote:

Vouching for this. I'm surprised anyone thought it WAS you. You're an even-keeled sort of fellow, and I didn't even think you had a Twitter.

If I could be sure there wouldn't be a witch-hunt in response, I'd ask the ranter to say who he was, but I really, really, really, really am not in the mood to mod the hell out of the personal attacks that people would think were justified because of what he said.

Thank You!

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is so shocking about Liberty fans wanting Shameka and Cappie. Some of us were willing to give up pretty much everything else, so its not like NY fans were under valuing Cappie. I personally suggested Powell, Jackson and next years first rounder for Cappie (about 100 times), becuase I so desperately wanted Cappie on the Liberty, I still do, but in my imigination it was going to be Cappie and Shameka which as a Liberty fan would have been thrilling. Maybe we want are cake and to eat it too, but last year we didn't even get cake, we got like under cooked organic carob cookies that had mold on them, so maybe were greedy, or just hungry for something good. Cappie if you're reading this pleae come to New York we'll Love you no matter what. And Shameka if you're getting tradeed we'll miss you, your the best thing to happen to the Liberty since T-Spoon, you are the defintion of a fan favorite, and you'll always get love at the Garden.

OK since we won't hear until draft day here's my latest guess

Chicago gets Loree Moore and Shameka Christon
Phx. gets Dupree and #4 (pending it being Prince, based on DT quote about her being an immediate impact player) or Toliver
Ny gets Cappie and Mazz

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
Feeling is mutual...

Good. Now run along and be a fanboy while your favorite player is still on your favorite team.

Mathies to LA 2013
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:

Say New York stands pat, doesn't do anything but suck next year again....and then gets the 2nd or 3rd overall pick instead of the 1st? Then Cappie isn't available again...so missed out on a superstar, twice! In this day, especially with the way this league is on rocky grounds...have to think about today, not tomorrow.

And since the MSG renovations are scheduled to begin in the summer of 2011, this is the summer where we absolutely cannot afford to mess around. We have to try to be good. Next year we might be playing in New Jersey. We need to try and do something to spark a playoff run...something that might add an aura of excitement to the team.

DTP

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

And it's not just that Shameka is the "face of the franchise". It's that she gave up half an overseas season, with the money that would bring in, to come back to New York and sell tickets for this team. That she called people personally to get them to renew. That she made sure she made personal contact with them, talked to them and had them respond instead of just leaving a message or a recorded call. That at least one poster here credits his/her renewal exclusively and explicitly to Shameka reaching out. To turn around and trade her because other players on other teams want out... why should we? We're not the ones presented with the ultimatum, so why are we bending over for Phoenix, Chicago, and whoever else might be involved?

If we have two players who are very close in talent, except that one has busted her ass to market this team and the other has worn the uniform for one exhibition event, why are we keeping the new one and offering up the one who's established herself? Why, when the two teams we KNOW are involved are both against the wall? Why, when both Shameka and Powell would play the same role in either Phoenix's offense-heavy system or Chicago's no-one-knows-what-the-fuck's-going-on-here "system"? Why, when Powell could bring playoff and championship experience to Chicago or wherever, when the furthest Meka's gone has been losing in the ECF? Why, when fucking this up could lose more ticket sales than gaining Pondexter? (Could. Not sure, hence not using would.) Why, when sending Shameka off- especially if her end is to Chicago- falls into the pattern of fucking over damn near EVERY SINGLE player who has put in time for the Liberty?

Have we forgotten Tari-gate? Non-tendering VJ and lying about it? "Shove your Robinson and Baranova jerseys to the back of the closet"? The way Spoon's departure was handled, how long it took for that major bridge to be mended, the fact that she showed up to one game a few years back in opposing colors to cheer on someone on the opposing team? The fact that the 2010 NCAA tournament was the first time I've heard Rebecca Lobo acknowledge that at some point she was affiliated with the Liberty since she retired after the 2003 season? Hell, even the handling of the Hammon trade was fucked up, and y'all know my distaste for Hammon.

I'm not thrilled about Pondexter demanding a deal to a specific team, but I wouldn't object to making a fair trade for her- but fair for ALL parties in the situation in which they find themselves. If Pondexter has forced Phoenix's hand, Phoenix doesn't get to force ours in response, and Chicago certainly doesn't.

Sorry to unload on you, DTP, I know you're still hurtin' about the way things went down in Detroit and the way Mr. Davidson's relict stabbed the Shock and its fans in the back, and at least we have a team to bitch about.

When Christon agreed to give up half the season overseas and all that good stuff, she still had to understand that this is a business and if the right offer comes along, she could be dealt. I'm pretty sure she didn't stay back and do all that work for free...so she got paid to do a job and did it. Does she get a untouchable pass because of that? Elaine Powell did community stuff with the Shock after the 2008 season and didn't return in 2009...that's just how it is sometimes.

I'm sure the plan going into the off season and everything wasn't to trade Christon, NY probably never seen this coming. Its one of those, oh this unexpected great deal came across the table and I have to take it. I don't see how fans can be upset with a General Manager improving their roster...which is their job. I understand it would have been more ideal for Powell to be sent instead of Christon but like I said, how do we know Blaze didn't try that? It takes two (or in this case three) to make a deal...not just one team saying here's what we'll take, here's what we'll give, live with it.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

OK since we won't hear until draft day here's my latest guess

Chicago gets Loree Moore and Shameka Christon
Phx. gets Dupree and #4 (pending it being Prince, based on DT quote about her being an immediate impact player) or Toliver
Ny gets Cappie and Mazz

You got to be kidding me, the Sky give up Dupree and the #4 pick and all they get back is Moore and Christon, no way Jose. I don't think the #4 pick or Moore is involve in the trade but I do think Tangela Smith and Shameka Christon are moving to Chicago.

DTP

PostPosted: 03/28/10 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

Exactly my point pretty much, glad someone sees it the way I do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: