RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pondexter to NY?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/24/10 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY's system is of the "Baywatch" variety. The other players get into trouble and wait around until someone bails them out. I guess that makes Christon "David Hasselhoff".

Mathies to LA 2013
BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/24/10 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
NY's system is of the "Baywatch" variety. The other players get into trouble and wait around until someone bails them out. I guess that makes Christon "David Hasselhoff".

There's a special place in hell for you for going there. Laughing
Yes, that's our "system". It consists in a lot of cutting, setting screens, ball movement, and, after passing up on several good looks, ultimately passing the ball to Christon with 3 seconds left in the shot clock, hoping for a miracle shot against double teams. Yup, it worked wonders.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe a full season of Donovan will change things.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or a season with a playmaker who has the ability to score one-on-one aka cappie pondexter

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/24/10 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

Only if there's footage of a drunken Shameka Christon eating a cheeseburger off a floor, just like David has. Razz

And does she run in slo-mo too? Wink

FFO

PostPosted: 02/24/10 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Only if there's footage of a drunken Shameka Christon eating a cheeseburger off a floor, just like David has. Razz

No, but I caught her singing this "I've been lookin' for freedom, I've been lookin' so long, I've been lookin' for freedom, Still the search goes on".

PostPosted: 02/24/10 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Mercury fan I would worry about this thread except for a few things.

1. Cappie likes the limelight but she she is very much a team player as well. All this supposition that Cappie would make this "demand" so she can be the #1 player seems very far stretched and out of charactor for her (that is extreme selfish - something Cappie is not). As for her role on the team and "second fiddle" to Taurasi, Cappie got her props in Phoenix.

2.) Cappie is a restricted free agent which gives the Mercury some control over her rights. I don't know what the rules are about retaining rights if she decided to sit out a year out but Phoenix could have some options to still keep her if they get others signed.

3.) CB does not like Phoenix. I find it interesting that CB has not commented in this thread other than the initial post. This might be more wishful thinking than reality. CB may have a fairly good track record when it comes to some things but the track record for predicting Mercury news has not been so good.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/24/10 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
3.) CB does not like Phoenix. I find it interesting that CB has not commented in this thread other than the initial post. This might be more wishful thinking than reality. CB may have a fairly good track record when it comes to some things but the track record for predicting Mercury news has not been so good.

CB is not the first person with sources to explore this possibility, which was brought up several times by someone else (beeball) about a month ago.

Mathies to LA 2013
stats47

PostPosted: 02/24/10 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
five_to_the_third wrote:
LOL @thesixthwoman . Don't forget the good beer stand near sec. 126, also merely a tease for Liberty fans (since 2006 when I swear it was open once).

Also, off-topic but misstated above: NYC is not the largest city in the world. It's #5. For largest in the world, Ms. Pondexter would need to go play in Tokyo.

oh no no i didnt say largest but thanks

Are you sure?

snlMINAJ wrote:
3. biggest city in the world

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn I think I just piddled my pants!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
FFO wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

No, but I caught her singing this "I've been lookin' for freedom, I've been lookin' so long, I've been lookin' for freedom, Still the search goes on".

PostPosted: 02/24/10 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stats47 wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:
five_to_the_third wrote:
LOL @thesixthwoman . Don't forget the good beer stand near sec. 126, also merely a tease for Liberty fans (since 2006 when I swear it was open once).

Also, off-topic but misstated above: NYC is not the largest city in the world. It's #5. For largest in the world, Ms. Pondexter would need to go play in Tokyo.

oh no no i didnt say largest but thanks

Are you sure?

snlMINAJ wrote:
3. biggest city in the world

its right in your face is it not? clearly i did not say NYC is the largest. its the biggest. way more publicity in NYC than in tokyo if you are a wnba player.

it may not be LARGER but its bigger

SuziQ

PostPosted: 02/24/10 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not every Merc fan "threw Cappie under the bus". It takes a team to win, and a team to lose. And one FACT - her teammates never did at all, which is much more crucial than anything any fan could ever say on a message board.

Diana has always given credit to Cappie, as has Penny and everyone else on that team.

I'll believe all this when I hear something from Cappie or the Mercury. 'Till then, it's unproven rumor, no matter how much stock you may or may not put in the veracity of the people who brought it out.

We learned from the LJ experience that you don't know exactly what will happen until the incredibly talented woman in question puts pen to contract.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well of course not all Merc fans blamed Cappie. MOST did not. And of course the players didn't blame her. And of course Taurasi values Cappie and loves playing with her. That doesn't erase the fact that Cappie is a player who is quite capable of being the #1 face of a team but will never be that while playing with Taurasi in Phoenix.

And is it selfish to want to be THE star of a team when you have the ability to be that? I don't think it is. Cappie Pondexter has worked her ass off in Phoenix and has handled playing with one of the biggest stars in the league with grace and good humor. She doesn't owe the Mercury anything. She should stay or go, play or not play, based on her own desires. And I don't think that is selfish.

That being said, I do understand Phoenix fans anguish at hearing this rumor. But some of y'all were gloating about possibly getting LJ away from Seattle last year . . .guess you know how Storm fans felt about that rumor, now.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't necessarily get the criticism for Cappie to want to be the #1 option on a team. If you were a VP with an opportunity to change companies for a CEO position, would you turn it down?

And this isn't even close to the same situation as LJ. LJ basically held 2 teams hostage while she took her time deciding what she wanted to do (still well within her rights though I personally found it annoying as hell). If the rumors are true, Cappie has spoken her peace and the ball is in Phoenix's court to decide on how to proceed.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is actually a question, and not veiled comment ...

Was it CB who said Lauren Jackson was leaving Seattle last year, or someone else?

PostPosted: 02/25/10 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JumpMan23 wrote:
If NY is the only place Cappie wants to play, then it's more than just a 'I want my own team' situation. Phoenix is definitely DT's team, but Cappie's not Pippen to Taurasi's Jordan. That's giving too much credit to Taurasi, and not enough to Pondexter. In other words, I think it has a lot more to do with location. If the Mercury was located in New York, I don't think Cappie would want out.

I think the "pippen to Jordan" reference has become a "Batman and Robin" type senario.

Dee and Cappie are a a great duo, but there is no question whose team it is.

And I guess all I was saying was that Cappie is certainly capable of "being her own Jordan" But Cappie alone, and DT alone, aren't as good as Cappie and DT together.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bluff? It could be but I was told she is one of the few who make enough overseas to actually walk away from the WNBA salary as well.

At any rate, I think it takes lots of guts to make the demand and so I personally think she is serious, and of course I believe my source that she is demanding it.

I also think it would be good for NY and they might still get in the Moore lottery since they have a good excuse with all the new faces and new coach and I don't think the fans would be that upset since they got Pondexter. Laughing

Get it done, NY!

I haven't heard anymore on this since my original post, though I'm sure everyone realizes there would be discussions going on. I was told I would be told if it looks like it is close to getting done, so maybe it's not so close yet.

PostPosted: 02/25/10 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this is true, I hope the love for NYC is enough for Cappie because as long as Blaze is the GM the only thing NY will ever win is the #1 pick in a WNBA draft and even Blaze learned how to fuck that one up.

beeball

PostPosted: 02/25/10 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To those that won't believe the rumor until they hear it from Cappie, why would you hear from Cappie? It's not something that any player would disclose to the public. So for her, it's either NY or NL (No League). I mentioned this a while ago. The feeling is mutual by a few others.

coffy73

PostPosted: 02/25/10 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beeball wrote:
To those that won't believe the rumor until they hear it from Cappie, why would you hear from Cappie? It's not something that any player would disclose to the public. So for her, it's either NY or NL (No League). I mentioned this a while ago. The feeling is mutual by a few others.

Well, we heard from Penny Taylor through unofficial means that she was coming back to Phoenix, so I guess it's not far off to hear something from Cap that way.

caune

PostPosted: 02/25/10 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beeball wrote:

But the W doesn't play the way the NBA does.
Sales isn't in the W, it survived, Holdsclaw "retired" the world still turned, so hey, if Cappie thinks her overseas salary will pay her two mortgages than by all means, skip the 90 grand and rest this summer........
but honestly this all seems so un Cappie like that I still have a hard time wraping my brain around the whole idea of demanding to be traded to NY.

PostPosted: 02/26/10 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Taurasi cored by Phoenix, or do they still have their core designation available?

caune

PostPosted: 02/26/10 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Is Taurasi cored by Phoenix, or do they still have their core designation available?

Taurasi is under contract for 2 more seasons, no need to core her

PostPosted: 02/26/10 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes when you're young, spending time somewhere or with someone is more important than $. If it's true, I would guess that is more the case than her wanting to have her 'own' team. And maybe 'demand' and 'threaten' are too strong for the reality of what is happening for her. Perhaps she just feels strongly about spending time in NY this summer and has told the Mercury that she does and hopes they can accomodate a desire to be able to play there as well as be there. At any rate, her personal business should be her personal business. If she comes to NY for whatever reason, we will be ecstatic to have her.

edit: sometimes when you're old too! Very Happy

Last edited by myrtle on 02/26/10 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Knighthawk

PostPosted: 02/26/10 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beeball wrote:
To those that won't believe the rumor until they hear it from Cappie, why would you hear from Cappie? It's not something that any player would disclose to the public.

Players go public with trade demands all the time.

If this is true, and she's not going to reveal this to the public, what is she going to do if Phoenix calls her bluff? She's going to have to say something when she doesn't show up for the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 5 of 30

Jump to: