RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Monarchs banners spark mystery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/09 7:34 am    ::: Monarchs banners spark mystery Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/629/story/2356075.html

Quote:
If you were at the Kings' victory Friday over the Nets, you may have noticed the Monarchs' title banners and retired numbers have been removed from the Arco Arena rafters.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 7:52 am    ::: Re: Monarchs banners spark mystery Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/629/story/2356075.html

Quote:
If you were at the Kings' victory Friday over the Nets, you may have noticed the Monarchs' title banners and retired numbers have been removed from the Arco Arena rafters.

At least ole Les Alexander didn't do that!! You can go to a Rockets game, or rock concert and see all the Comets banners...

PostPosted: 11/29/09 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's give them a week to put them back up as per the article...but yeah that was NOT cool and if they don't...Well you thought I was pissed when they folded the team... Wink no excuse.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading between the lines of that article... you notice that they never say that Gavin Maloof doesn't know where the banners are? Mama Maloof doesn't know and is pissed, the GM of the Kings doesn't know... but the guy in the middle, they don't say.

The only acceptable reason for those banners to be missing is because Ticha Penicheiro, Ruthie Bolton, and Yolanda Griffith sneaked into the arena in the middle of the night and claimed them by right of "we earned these, they're ours, piss off".

(now with spelling variations)
Huskie

PostPosted: 11/29/09 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you are on Facebook, please join this cause:
'Bring the Monarchs to the Bay Area'

On their page is this link to an interview with Ticha:

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?aid=85967

Huskie

PostPosted: 11/29/09 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

The only acceptable reason for those banners to be missing is because Ticha Penicheiro, Ruthie Bolton, and Yolanda Griffith sneaked into the arena in the middle of the night and claimed them by right of "we earned these, they're ours, piss off".

^________________x

JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they have actually been missing since the 2nd game after they folded the team. I have been in talks with some of the sths and we were actually really pissed about this.

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'cause the point is to wipe out women's basketball history 'cause no one will notice if you use an eraser.

(can you tell I had another thanksgiving conversation about the history of women's basketball - a GOOD one, mind you, but wow....)

PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JRae wrote:
they have actually been missing since the 2nd game after they folded the team. I have been in talks with some of the sths and we were actually really pissed about this.

If the Maloofs cared about the opinion of Monarchs STHs, they wouldn't have folded the team in the first place.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The visibly misffed matrirch" should ask her sons why they were so stupid to kill The Monachs ... and not show how upset she is worry about banners...she is as bad as her sons in my opinion!

jimmyk

PostPosted: 11/29/09 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That brings up a question I've had for a while. Whatever happened to the Sting's eastern conference championship banner from (I think) '99?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/09 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
That brings up a question I've had for a while. Whatever happened to the Sting's eastern conference championship banner from (I think) '99?

I wonder about Andrea Stinson's retired jersey.

If I were the Bobcats owner, I would donate both to the Women's basketball Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: 11/29/09 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Maloofs' cared even a little bit about the Monarchs, they would have given the league more notice about folding the team, send out personal calls to all the coaches & players & not taken deposits foe 2010 season tickets. I just hope the Monarchs find a home for 2010 so those banners can be moved into a new home.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PistonShockFan0318

PostPosted: 11/29/09 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does anyone know if they took the Shock banners down at the Palace?

And since the Shock is a bought franchise would the banners move with them?

PostPosted: 11/30/09 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think the banners belong to the owner of the team at the time of the championship. The Davidsons don't have to give up those banners and should keep them just like Alexander did with the Comets. The Maloofs should understand the history is theirs not just the Monarchs. The problem for them is probably how big of a reminder it is that the ladies got it done but their men's team can't. The Piston nor Rockets have that problem.

DTP

PostPosted: 12/01/09 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people are being a little too harsh on the Maloofs here. They have owned that team for what, 12-13 years now? Don't tell me they didn't care about that team and their season ticket holders. Obviously though, they have bigger fish to fry....aka need to focus on their bigger investment which is the Kings. Its a business decision, nothing personal. Sure, I do wish there was more of a warning or whatever but we don't know what happen, so really can't judge too much.

Guess you can somewhat call me a hypocrite because I still dislike Karen very much for selling the shock but my reasons are kind of different. If Mr. D was still alive, I still think the Shock would be in Detroit which is why I thought she should have kept them there. The team won, economy in Michigan as a whole is hell, the team plays out in the middle of nowhere....I just thought what she did in this timing was very bad which pissed me off.

JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

PostPosted: 12/01/09 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtp, you realize the monarchs did the same for sacramento right? they played in the middle of no where, they ALMOST broke even this year and probably could have turned a profit next year. sacramento as a whole right now is the worst place to be if you are unemployed.

and the reason we say we dont like the maloofs is because just two months ago, when the STHs were all renewing our tickets for next season, they were saying how the Monarchs werent going anywhere and blah blah blah. So personally, i think as a STH who put out the money for the Monarchs the last 5 years, I think I have a right to be pissed off

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
sactowndiva

PostPosted: 12/01/09 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Reading between the lines of that article... you notice that they never say that Gavin Maloof doesn't know where the banners are? Mama Maloof doesn't know and is pissed, the GM of the Kings doesn't know... but the guy in the middle, they don't say.

Laughing LMAO...
Thats classic, nice! Well as you know the Banners are flying high in the rafters once again. My pride is with those banners. I'm not angry with MSE, dissapointed yes, for not giving us a chance to say good-bye & the way they went about it.
I appreciate the 13 seasons they did give us. Now we are trying to keep the team together.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: