RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will the Kings leave Sacramento?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/14/10 6:26 pm    ::: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.inquisitr.com/90174/will-the-kings-leave-sacramento/

I have League Pass so I watch some Kings game when they play at Arco and the crowd doesn't even look 50% full. They're #24 in attendance with a average of 14,987. I wonder if they move to Kansas City will the Monarchs return?

PostPosted: 11/14/10 6:30 pm    ::: Re: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

I have League Pass so I watch some Kings game when they play at Arco and the crowd doesn't even look 50% full. They're #24 in attendance with a average of 14,987. I wonder if they move to Kansas City will the Monarchs return?

It worked good for Seattle. Wink

I really miss the Monarchs. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 11/14/10 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Stern talking about contraction? They look like they could be a candidate. Memphis never looks very full either.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 11/14/10 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there was a story around seattle last week that the kings were possibly relocating to seattle. that brought all kinds of 'hell no' from sacramento. Smile

BCBG25

PostPosted: 11/14/10 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am all for the NBA returning to Seattle, but if the Kings are losing money in Sacramento, why the hell would they move to Seattle where they wouldn't even get a decent arena deal much less a new one built?
I don't know how hot the market is for NBA teams these days, but I would suppose most cities wouldn't be offering a WNBA franchise on the side to sweeten the pot.
An NBA contraction/lockout would not be good for the W, so let's hope it doesn't happen. The owners who handed out ridiculous contracts this summer hurt their cases in a potential labor dispute, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them would offer their WNBA franchises as sacrificial lambs.

PostPosted: 11/14/10 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I am all for the NBA returning to Seattle, but if the Kings are losing money in Sacramento, why the hell would they move to Seattle where they wouldn't even get a decent arena deal much less a new one built?
I don't know how hot the market is for NBA teams these days, but I would suppose most cities wouldn't be offering a WNBA franchise on the side to sweeten the pot.
An NBA contraction/lockout would not be good for the W, so let's hope it doesn't happen. The owners who handed out ridiculous contracts this summer hurt their cases in a potential labor dispute, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them would offer their WNBA franchises as sacrificial lambs.

The original Seattle Supersonics didn't get a stadium deal because the owners were utter asswipes and mismanaged the team to the point where longtime Sonics fans just gave up (raising my hand). Seattle is a terrific sports town and a pro team with decent ownership gets loads of support there. The city is full of terrific sports venues and a basketball team that didn't alienate fans and politicians alike would likely be able to get a nice new place to play.

HOWEVER, I hate to see Sac lose their team. I hate to see anyone lose their team. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 11/15/10 4:35 am    ::: Re: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

ljohnverrell wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

The situation is a little bit different, the Storm were already a team and just split up from the Supersonics, if the Monarchs returned it would be an expansion team, not an already established team in the league looking for an owner.

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 11/15/10 7:02 am    ::: Re: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ljohnverrell wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

The situation is a little bit different, the Storm were already a team and just split up from the Supersonics, if the Monarchs returned it would be an expansion team, not an already established team in the league looking for an owner.

would it still be considered an expansion team though? it was already a team..i'd think if it reappeared it would just be resuming its place

JohnyK

PostPosted: 11/15/10 7:31 am    ::: Re: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
would it still be considered an expansion team though? it was already a team..i'd think if it reappeared it would just be resuming its place

No one would reverse the dispersal draft nor would they cancel the contracts that former Monarchs players who were free agents signed with other teams. So yeah, they'd need a expansion draft otherwise that team would consist of players that weren't worthy of even sitting on everyone else's benches.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 11/15/10 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

The original Seattle Supersonics didn't get a stadium deal because the owners were utter asswipes and mismanaged the team to the point where longtime Sonics fans just gave up (raising my hand). Seattle is a terrific sports town and a pro team with decent ownership gets loads of support there. The city is full of terrific sports venues and a basketball team that didn't alienate fans and politicians alike would likely be able to get a nice new place to play.

HOWEVER, I hate to see Sac lose their team. I hate to see anyone lose their team. Crying or Very sad

As shitty as that was, that's not what the Maloofs are looking for. They're not saying they're gonna sell the Kings, they're looking for handouts, which we saw Seattle was not willing to do with tax money (and good for them).

PostPosted: 11/15/10 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, the attendance numbers are lies, so the Kings are actually drawing around 10,000 a game, if that. They have a bad, boring team, built around a young star that no one's really familiar with.

Second, Arco is dropping its naming rights in February or something, so the Maloofs are going to have to shop around for some kind of a deal there, for an arena that everyone agrees needs to be replaced. (Losing the Monarchs doesn't help that negotiation, though it's not a huge factor.)

Third, the NBA is hurting and there could well be a lockout next year, which if the past is any guide, will cut into attendance for several years thereafter.

So clearly the Kings are losing big bucks, and the future isn't bright, so the Maloofs have some unpleasant choices to make:

1) Sell the team (but who would buy it?)

2) Relocate the team (but where would it go?)

3) Get a new arena built (but what California taxpayer would vote for it?)

If there is contraction, then, I think the Kings are target No. 1. And if they contract, there's even less chance of a WNBA team ever returning to Sacramento.

That said, Joe Lacob finally took over as owner of the Warriors, so now he could, if interested, start thinking about a Bay Area WNBA franchise.

PostPosted: 11/15/10 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Second, Arco is dropping its naming rights in February or something, so the Maloofs are going to have to shop around for some kind of a deal there, for an arena that everyone agrees needs to be replaced. (Losing the Monarchs doesn't help that negotiation, though it's not a huge factor.)

Why is Arco dropping its name rights? Is it a bad relationship, or money issues?

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/15/10 2:00 pm    ::: Re: Will the Kings leave Sacramento? Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ljohnverrell wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

What else would it be if it's not an expansion team. The Monarchs have already been out of the league for a year, if the just give the team back without making them an expansion team how would the team be made up, just make them sign free agents like any other team or make all the contracts of former Monarchs player go to the new team regardless if the players/coaches/new team wants those players.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/15/10 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How ironic that this discussion has come up; we're getting close to the one-year mark (Nov. 20) of the public announcement that the friggin' Maloofs' announced to fold the Monarchs. Crying or Very sad

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 11/16/10 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
How ironic that this discussion has come up; we're getting close to the one-year mark (Nov. 20) of the public announcement that the friggin' Maloofs' announced to fold the Monarchs. Crying or Very sad

Karma?

and btw... what is this NBA lockout people keep talking about?

toad455

PostPosted: 11/16/10 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

doesn't Stern want to contract a few teams(four I think) and then start up a European division. The Sacramento Kings should be on that list along with Memphis, Charlotte & Philadelphia.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 11/16/10 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Karma?

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement expires after this season. Most people expect the owners to lock the players out rather than continue under the old agreement while they negotiate.

PostPosted: 11/16/10 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Furthermore, presenting this as a bargaining ploy shows his hand. Guess what? League contraction is not a collective bargaining issue. If the NBA Board of Governors (the owners) want to lose a team or two, they figure out the buy-out and player redistribution logistics. They don't need the union's permission. They don't need to settle it during the CBA talks. If Stern wants to kill the Kings, the union has no say.

This threat has no teeth. This crisis is devoid of relevance. And yes, as a matter of fact I will be writing about it for the next week.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/10/23/1770047/contraction-in-the-nba-no-chance
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 11/16/10 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Karma?

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement expires after this season. Most people expect the owners to lock the players out rather than continue under the old agreement while they negotiate.

i'm showing my ignorance i know..but collective bargaining agreement? i don't understand. when i hear lock players out i literally think of locking them out of the arena. but, is this all about money? not wanting to pay them more money?

scullyfu

PostPosted: 11/17/10 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
pilight wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

Karma?

i'm showing my ignorance i know..but collective bargaining agreement? i don't understand. when i hear lock players out i literally think of locking them out of the arena. but, is this all about money? not wanting to pay them more money?

collective bargaining agreement = union contract. the women also have a cba. its how the pay structures, travel accomodations, health benefits, etc. are negotiated between the players' union and the league.

JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

PostPosted: 11/21/10 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one can only hope they leave....sorry still a bit bitter.

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: