RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MONARCHS FOLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so sad. The league is falling apart before our eyes in my opinion. It's not only the attendance. How many teams last season could you say played with the heart and soul exhibited by the old school players? Yeah, the new breed can generally run faster and jump a little higher, but I think it is harder to find players with the passion for playing the sport here in the US. To the WNBA's old guard, playing in the US was special because it was something they never had. Too many of the new breed take it for granted...again, that is just my opinion. That is not true of everyone. But it certainly showed itself on the court with the Liberty for a lot of last year, and they were not alone. There's at least 4 or 5 other teams who looked like they were going through the motions for long stretches of the regular season. My love for the WNBA is slowly fading.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
It's so sad. The league is falling apart before our eyes in my opinion. It's not only the attendance. How many teams last season could you say played with the heart and soul exhibited by the old school players?

In my opinion several of the teams did.

Not just the two that made it to the [best ever] Finals but here in Indy, I was impressed with the performance and passion of many of my team's opponents. Particularly Wash, Conn, DET, ATL, Minn, and Sac.

Come to think of it, the game vs Sac was one of the best all season.

Last edited by Slovydal on 11/20/09 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
It's so sad. The league is falling apart before our eyes in my opinion. It's not only the attendance. How many teams last season could you say played with the heart and soul exhibited by the old school players? Yeah, the new breed can generally run faster and jump a little higher, but I think it is harder to find players with the passion for playing the sport here in the US. To the WNBA's old guard, playing in the US was special because it was something they never had. Too many of the new breed take it for granted...again, that is just my opinion. That is not true of everyone. But it certainly showed itself on the court with the Liberty for a lot of last year, and they were not alone. There's at least 4 or 5 other teams who looked like they were going through the motions for long stretches of the regular season. My love for the WNBA is slowly fading.

X______________________________

Well said.

Mathies to LA 2013
FS02

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

Really? I thought last season was the best so far. Of course, that matters not if the finances aren't there. Confused

Cui7

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Cui7 wrote:
(T)wo teams either relocating or folding in one year is not as bad as the league itself folding. But, then again that could still happen.

That's what really worries me. Is this the last piece of bad news, or are other owners going to follow the Maloofs' example? I was just starting to feel confident that the league would play next season, and then this comes seemingly out of nowhere. I just hope this isn't the start of a cascade of events that ends the league.

It is a cascade of events but a cascade of events as a function of the overall economy. Why do people keep saying the Lynx will choose Prince? They do not need anymore guards. They will more than likely go for a Amber Harris type player.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Really? I thought last season was the best so far. Of course, that matters not if the finances aren't there. Confused

I agree. Aside from New York, Sacramento, and at times Connecticut, San Antonio, and Minnesota, I thought most of the teams were passionate and exciting.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 11/20/09 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

I so don't agree with you here. I see a lot of passion in current players and I think they very much want to play in the U.S. full-time! They would love to have a longer season here that paid them enough so that they could take time off and not go overseas.

I think the lack of emotion you see sometimes is simply exhaustion. These ladies play hard almost year around, traveling all over, constantly dealing with jet lag and new places and situations. Bleah. Also I think it is easy to look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cui7 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:
Cui7 wrote:
(T)wo teams either relocating or folding in one year is not as bad as the league itself folding. But, then again that could still happen.

That's what really worries me. Is this the last piece of bad news, or are other owners going to follow the Maloofs' example? I was just starting to feel confident that the league would play next season, and then this comes seemingly out of nowhere. I just hope this isn't the start of a cascade of events that ends the league.

It is a cascade of events but a cascade of events as a function of the overall economy. Why do people keep saying the Lynx will choose Prince? They do not need anymore guards. They will more than likely go for a Amber Harris type player.

exactly, the LPGA is losing tournaments because sponsers are withdrawing, hell if you look closely, the NBA is losing a shit ton of money..I'm sure football and Baseball have a few teams that are struggling too.

It's the economy.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

some have said it is because of sth not buying in this year and attendance. i can't really agree with that. detroit moved and weren't their games very well attended ? indiana was on the brink and they have a great fan base. is there a link or somewhere that one could find the number of sth for each team?

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
some have said it is because of sth not buying in this year and attendance. i can't really agree with that. detroit moved and weren't their games very well attended ? indiana was on the brink and they have a great fan base. is there a link or somewhere that one could find the number of sth for each team?

Detroit's box scores listed big attendance numbers when there were only 3000 people in the stands. Those attendance numbers were fiction.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there's no relocation for the Monarchs I believe it seals the deal for Tulsa moving to the West, each conference will then have 6 teams.

WNBA Western Conference

Lynx
Mercury
Silver Stars
Sparks
Storm
Tulsa

WNBA Eastern Conference

Dream
Fever
Liberty
Mystics
Sky
Sun

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel for you Monarch fans, no warning at all, the only hope is that the rumors of an Oakland franchise will save the team. It's not that much further to the Bay Area. We have friends that are STH, and they make a 6 hour RT to come over the mountain pass to see the Storm. Sac to Oak is 1 hr 20 minutes, in decent traffic that is.

If that happens that is where we will be going for our first Storm RT, my sister and husband just moved to Vallejo into a 4,000 sq ft home, plenty of room for a couple of Storm fans.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's too bad for Sac fans, but I get to watch the WNBA Champions this year.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^ Not sure they can do it this year with Augustus coming right back from injury, Wiggins coming off a tough year, all the new faces, and still no real veteran (unless that changes with the dispersal draft).....but I look for them to be favorites in 2011 and probably even two (or three) years after that.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:
It's too bad for Sac fans, but I get to watch the WNBA Champions this year.

Do I see a prediction for the Lynx to capture the 2010 WNBA Championship Question

MNfan22

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
^^ Not sure they can do it this year with Augustus coming right back from injury, Wiggins coming off a tough year, all the new faces, and still no real veteran (unless that changes with the dispersal draft).....but I look for them to be favorites in 2011 and probably even two (or three) years after that.

Live in the present my friend, live in the present & hope for the best (at least I will) Cuz 2012 or '13 let alone 2011 aren't promised to anyone Sad

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
nickv1025 wrote:

Live in the present my friend, live in the present & hope for the best (at least I will) Cuz 2012 or '13 let alone 2011 aren't promised to anyone Sad

I have GOT to make a trip to a Lynx home game this summer!

Like when they're playing PHX...

MNfan22

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very sorry hear this news Sac fans Sad

Hope some folks in the Bay area can come thru w/ some $$$ & will to make re-location happen for 2010.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

Yes U do need to make a trip. Make it happen Wink
You can still come when we play the Fever. But remember alls fair in love & war. You'll be on your own during the gm, tip to buzzer but before & after the game, nothing but love Laughing

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here and at other newer WNBA sites(Q-Swish, Left Coast) the articles conjectured that we had reached the turning point in terms of acceptance and an established presence, albeit not high% viewership or attendance. The arguement being that with the no# of 24hr sports stations, and all viewer percentages are not relevant in the old terms, and that the WNBA Championship viewership was significantly up, in this new, dispersed market. Lack of "bottoms in the seat" was more attributed to the economy.
There were also arguements that the WNBA was poised to take full advantage of the emerging tech market, ie PC viewing and its tech purchasing features. Is the WNBA/NBA still experiencing the lack of trust in that type of long term, media future-generating income, by the more conservative 'good old boy network', show me the big money now vs the longer term investments the "shoe type" companies exhibit in early, younger product branding, knowing the financial profits will be there in the end? Demographically, for years, but a more delayed pay-off? Either they cannot or they choose not to wait for the delayed financial gratification of investment in one of the few growth sports markets; female sports.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

Yes U do need to make a trip. Make it happen Wink
You can still come when we play the Fever. But remember alls fair in love & war. You'll be on your own during the gm, tip to buzzer but before & after the game, nothing but love Laughing

No, I want to be able to root for Nicky's team Wink

I can't show up when they're playing the Fever Very Happy

lilcrc

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll always have this....

Nicole enjoying her moment with the trophy

Thanks for the memories, ladies. You will truly be missed.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not happy to read this. Sorry for the Monarhs fans and really for all of us WNBA fans. The possibility of another team folding is quite depressing. It makes me nervous for the future of the league. Someone on here said maybe the league would run the team. They didn't do it for Houston and they won 4 championships.

These guys who own both WNBA and NBA Teams do this a lot. We lost our team here in Cleveland because the Gund brothers didn't want the team anymore after Lebron came here. Sad

irk

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

That we are going to see a dispersal draft - Kara Lawson to Minnesota, please, for some true veteran leadership - and she won't even have to play point.

If they have #2 pick, they better take Powell

I'd take Powell. In a heartbeat. Would she want to come here?

PostPosted: 11/20/09 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

irk wrote:
I'd take Powell. In a heartbeat. Would she want to come here?

As long as she's getting paid a high salary and is starting (and winning), I don't think it matters much to her.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: