RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MONARCHS FOLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/20/09 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling given the timing, lack of notice and issues with the Shock's move to tulsa that the league will run the team one season if it goes down to that...not a dispersal...normally they start putting together the schedule after the draft lottery so that is a major issue...also with players not knowing after the release...remember the Thompson lawsuit...and if it can be proven that there were interests available for 2 years...folks I'd sue there is good cause here.

Given how fast the W released that they're going to sell to a bay area owner I would not be shocked if the team runs a season in oracle run by the league.

And yeah 500,000 is one of the lowest losses in the league...i say to Maloof if you want to save $500,000 so badly TAKE AWAY YOUR MID LEVEL EXCEPTION!!!

PostPosted: 11/20/09 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladeeda wrote:
PRballer wrote:
I'm sorry, but no one - not even in the league office - thought to notify the Sacramento players before they put out a release? Renee Brown, Donna Orender, that's on you.

Most players were notified this morning...not sure why brunson wasn't

Aaah, okay. Thanks.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monarchs facebook page:

Quote:
Sacramento Monarchs

We enjoyed our time with the WNBA and the Monarchs. We are extremely proud of an amazing run that included six straight playoff appearances and the 2005 WNBA Championship. All of our resources are now dedicated to bringing the Sacramento Kings back to championship caliber form.

My response:

Slovydal O'Brien
The Kings will never have the positive LIFE CHANGING impact on young people's lives that the Monarchs players have had.
This is a dark day in history...

http://www.facebook.com/slovydal?ref=profile#/sacramentomonarchs?v=feed&story_fbid=193461098440

miller40

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be something annoyingly attention grabbing. Like, "Monarchs fold.......laundry for the elderly" or "Monarchs fold........in area celebrity poker tournament.

I wish I was right. I'm sorry Monarchs fans.
Confused

lostinhoopsland

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
WTF DAMN I FEEL LIKE SOMEBODY JUST SHOT ME

Wow I am just seeing this and I feel the same way!!!! I am so sorry Monarch fans. (Tear) Crying or Very sad

braveniler58

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the flying fuck?

Seriously?

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First - my condolences to the Monarchs fans. I do hope that the league keeps the team in the Bay Area, so hopefully there is some fandom maintained.

My hope:

That the WNBA is the winners here, already having their ducks in a row in the Bay Area, but let the Maloofs fold as to not have the team purchased from them, instead, have the team purchased from the league, bringing revenue to the league as a whole instead of the departing ownership group.

My expectation:

That we are going to see a dispersal draft - Kara Lawson to Minnesota, please, for some true veteran leadership - and she won't even have to play point.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
JRae wrote:
wow. imma cry

sorry for your loss. just terrible for SAC fans. Sad

I feel terrible for most of them.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. This sucks, especially for Monarchs fans. And to not tell the players - that's just chicken sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a relo.

Maloofs, you can't absorb the 'Narchs loosing half a mill. You really think that amount of $$ will even scratch the surface of the gaping black hole of $$ that is an NBA team? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. Rolling Eyes

LOL...true, they've got bums riding the bench making that kind of money in just a hand full of games.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

That we are going to see a dispersal draft - Kara Lawson to Minnesota, please, for some true veteran leadership - and she won't even have to play point.

If they have #2 pick, they better take Powell

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olnezi wrote:
Really I think WNBA owners should be fined for sudden opting out of ownership without forwarning the league. The Monarch owners should have informed the league immediately after the WNBA championship series that departure was ahead. Hopefully, policies will be passed to warn future wnba owners about not giving a franchise enough time to find another investor.

Don't worry, hopefully, they'll find another investor soon. I heard rumors that there are many potential investors looking to embrace a WNBA team.

Isn't that what happened with Robert Johnson, who owned the Charlotte Sting until he decided to opt out of the Sting until mid-December 2006? Not only did he NOT give advance notice, but it didn't give the league much of a chance to look for a new owner.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

If they have #2 pick, they better take Powell

YES!!!^^^ she is one of FAVORITE players in the league. Truly underrated in my opinion. If this board had a dancing banana emoticon, i'd use it right now. Laughing

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One by one the league and the NBA are distancing itself from each other. Who will be the next casualty?

FS02

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really hope somehow, some way they move them to the bay area.

FS02

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
One by one the league and the NBA are distancing itself from each other. Who will be the next casualty?

Indiana almost was, and then we would have been looking at four teams in two years. Shocked doesn't really quite do it, we need an "I'm scared shitless" emoticon.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Glen Taylor is having trouble getting people into Target Center for Wolves games... it concerns me a little. But, he's made his billions elsewhere, he seems to keep his basketball teams as hobbies... profitable or not.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cui7 wrote:
(T)wo teams either relocating or folding in one year is not as bad as the league itself folding. But, then again that could still happen.

That's what really worries me. Is this the last piece of bad news, or are other owners going to follow the Maloofs' example? I was just starting to feel confident that the league would play next season, and then this comes seemingly out of nowhere. I just hope this isn't the start of a cascade of events that ends the league.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I used to go to Grateful dead concerts at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland - does anyone know what the seating capacity is?

I can't remember for some reason...

That reminds me of the old Robin Williams joke: "If you can actually remember the Sixties, then you weren't really there." Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Olnezi wrote:
Really I think WNBA owners should be fined for sudden opting out of ownership without forwarning the league. The Monarch owners should have informed the league immediately after the WNBA championship series that departure was ahead. Hopefully, policies will be passed to warn future wnba owners about not giving a franchise enough time to find another investor.

Don't worry, hopefully, they'll find another investor soon. I heard rumors that there are many potential investors looking to embrace a WNBA team.

Isn't that what happened with Robert Johnson, who owned the Charlotte Sting until he decided to opt out of the Sting until mid-December 2006? Not only did he NOT give advance notice, but it didn't give the league much of a chance to look for a new owner.

I remember that vividly, mainly because I was overjoyed at the thought of Charlotte possibly relocating to KC. But there never really was a chance of that happening. The very first thing I thought of after hearing about the Monarchs was the Sting. Just a terrible situation..

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Glen Taylor is having trouble getting people into Target Center for Wolves games... it concerns me a little. But, he's made his billions elsewhere, he seems to keep his basketball teams as hobbies... profitable or not.

Considering how long he's already stuck around, it's starting to make sense for Taylor to stick around for at least one more year. If the Monarchs fold rather than relocate, they'll get whichever of Brunson/Powell the Liberty don't take, plus their pick of Appel/Charles, and move up to third in the draft (probably for Prince or whatever someone will trade them for Prince). All that, combined with the return of Augustus, would make me hopeful that the Lynx are at least safe for 2010 (although in this economy, nothing is remotely certain).

jfhst18

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first game I ever saw was one of the championship games in the Shock-Monarch series. The place was packed and the new kind of athletic excitement was palpable. I remember feeling like it was a new world.

If you would would have told me that five years later those franchises would be history I would have bet my life that you were wrong.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sacramento Kings ticket sales: 1 888 915-4647 email: tickets@arcoarena.com

I just called and spoke to "Michael" He promised to pass my message on to the Maloofs.

Somehow I managed to get through my statement without the use of profanity...

Email: tickets@arcoarena.com

I posted this on the monarchs facebook page and it's already been deleted...

Last edited by Slovydal on 11/20/09 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jfhst18 wrote:
The first game I ever saw was one of the championship games in the Shock-Monarch series. The place was packed and the new kind of athletic excitement was palpable. I remember feeling like it was a new world.

If you would would have told me that five years later those franchises would be history I would have bet my life that you were wrong.

It is difficult to believe.

My last game there was a playoff win over Seattle (who went on to win) in 2004.

It was one of the best WNBA games I aver attended. Absolutely unforgettable experience.

Ironically, I was living in Indiana the following year when they won it all - Doh!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@deuceswild99

Sitting with my team and we have decided a local investor group should buy us and keep us in sacramento!! Any takers?? Let me hear u SAC!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/20/09 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just read the news. The most shocking thing I've read in a while especially since no one was expecting it. I hope they can be relocated. It does not bode well for the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: