RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What is up with Katie Smith?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:43 pm    ::: What is up with Katie Smith? Reply Reply with quote

Another nothing night so far, 0-4 2pts total.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shes in a funk. And shes been in one for a while. You'd think she'd have a breakout game by now. But this is a critical game in the western conference for both teams and this is a tight game! Svet is having a nice night!

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three pointer by Taurasi ties the game! It'd be only fitting if this game goes in OT.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's effen great. She's in a funk? So is my RVGM.

How about getting in a funk in October or something? Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bleh! Svet was having a nice night, but that was an untimely shooting foul.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has been an awesome comeback by Phoenix
Lynx had us down by about 15 at one point not that long ago.

YES!! P-Money ices it from the stripe! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Choking Lynx, yuck.

Minnie is just about done for the year.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kt needs to get her head out her butt and stop thinking about her and start thinking about the team. this game was just poorly coached.sms might need to get her head out her butt as well and start to get her combo's right. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great comeback by Phoenix!! P-Money was great down the stretch, Vodi had some key rebounds, and Diana hit some key shots...including the game-tying 3.

jrh

PostPosted: 07/29/05 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynx players aren't choking coaches are choking. amazing Question Question Question Question

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does everyone always blame coaches. It's the players that play. Jeez.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
Why does everyone always blame coaches. It's the players that play. Jeez.

I agree it was the players...why they didn't give Sveta the last shot is beyond me..but, I'm kind of glad they didn't..And I blame Katie, not the coach for her slump...why she took the last shot when there were two other players that were hot is beyond me...

atlasshrugs

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Minnie is just about done for the year.

I think it's a bit early to make that prediction. They're only a game behind LA--provided LA wins tonight. Phoenix, LA, and Minn are all in there. It just depends on who catches fire in Aug.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot...Phoenix has been on fire. With as many games they have at home, they have a very realistic shot to do what I didn't think was possible a month ago.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor move by SMS for running that last play for KT when she has been playing like S*%T for the last few games. Shocked

Great comeback by Phoenix from being down by 15pts at one stage.

Seems like SMS was once again out coached.

jrh

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you are right it is the players that play . but who puts the combo's on the court and in this case who calls the plays . Im sorry but this game was poorly coached.Im not blaming the coaches for kt's slump , but why play her so much, maybe a bigger spell on the bench might do her good.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That one play itself, did not decide the WHOLE game. Minnesota was up by 15 at one point and should have never given that lead up. The Minnesota Lynx turned the ball over 19 times tonight. To blame a coach for a loss in which her players turned the ball over 19 times, is crazy. Come on people, I'm getting tired of the "Lets Fire _____!" threads every time a team loses.

atlasshrugs

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Suzy might have kept a hot-shooting Svet on the bench for too long. Phoenix went on a huge run while she was sitting.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's time that the Lynx take KT out of the starting 5 until she finds that hunger again. No big time player likes to be sitting on the bench, so it might help her not starting and I believe other players have been stepping it up in her absence so they should be rewarded.

KT is not producing in Offense and Defense and it's hurting the team, and it sounded like the Lynx panicked in the last 3 minutes.

Jimi3

PostPosted: 07/29/05 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx are not done for the year but I gotta agree with their radio announcer Brian Seimann. "The Lynx are officially in trouble".

After this heartbreaker there next game is? The Monarchs at Arco Areana. Would you like to predict a Lynx win for that match right now? The task could well be to fight back from sixth place real soon.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jimi3 wrote:
The Lynx are not done for the year but I gotta agree with their radio announcer Brian Seimann. "The Lynx are officially in trouble".

After this heartbreaker there next game is? The Monarchs at Arco Areana. Would you like to predict a Lynx win for that match right now? The task could well be to fight back from sixth place real soon.

That sounds about right, unfortunately.

I don't think that last play was drawn up for Katie: I think she discovered that the ball wasn't going where it was supposed to go and thought she had a chance to drive to the hoop. I thought she had one too. Lots of unselfish play in those last few minutes from the Lynx. Way too unselfish. Half the time Ohlde would rather pass out of the post than take a contested shot. And Amber Jacobs, who shot very well tonight, had difficulty directing our offense, not for the first time.

I've fallen out of love with Suzie's coaching, though the missed free throws weren't her fault.

Pilight may speak with such disconcerting certainty because he's been looking at the Lynx schedule. The team is 3-8 on the road, with six road games left, and 8-4 at home, with five home games left, of which the last three are Houston, Seattle, and Sacto.

There are a lot of reasons to keep watching this year's Lynx: I'm having fun watching Hayden develop, Lovelace turn into a shooter, Svet go bats (you take the good with the bad, and there's a lot of good right now) and Kristi Harrower be a competent, unspectacular point guard.

The good news is that this team came very close to beating a hot Merc squad even though Katie scored 2 points on 0-5 shooting. Next year we'll be able to let Katie go to dental school, if that's what she wants, or to win games without her on a regular basis, or to win games by 18 if she goes back to scoring 20 points a game. But after tonight I don't see the Lynx in this year's playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/29/05 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, the problem seems to be in SMS's offense, in which Katie is basically always playing off the ball. I believe she's trying to make Katie into a Rip Hamilton-type player that does a lot of running around, then catches the ball to shoot a relatively open jumper. That's what I've been noticing in the last few TV games.. Before, Katie used to play with the ball in her hands more, although she often slid over to more of a SF...

Now, MIN essentially has Svet as the secondary ball-handler behind Harrower, which is a lot to ask of Svet, to say the least... Shocked Moreover, with Katie's slumping, Svet basically has had to step up into the 2nd scorer behind Ohlde, which is even more to ask of Svet...

MIN of course doesn't have a good PG, so they need squeeze all they can out of Svet's pretty good assist-making abilities, but there's got to be a better gameplan out there... Idea So yes, I think it's time to make an offensive coaching adjustment... Confused

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/30/05 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
so they need squeeze all they can out of Svet's pretty good assist-making abilities

Assuming Svet doesn't turn it over. And Harrower, Smith, and Ohlde all average more assists than Svet, with Jacobs not far behind.

http://www.wnba.com/lynx/stats/

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 07/30/05 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
so they need squeeze all they can out of Svet's pretty good assist-making abilities

Assuming Svet doesn't turn it over. And Harrower, Smith, and Ohlde all average more assists than Svet, with Jacobs not far behind.

http://www.wnba.com/lynx/stats/

Svet doesn't have assist-making abilities. She has amazing field-goal-scoring abilities, but her passes are, um, interesting. Her assist-to-turnover ratio has been below 1 for all but one of her seasons (in 2004 it was almost exactly 1), though she compensates by getting about 1.5 steals per game.

Yes, Katie has been playing off the ball. But half the time she doesn't even move: she just stands at a 45-degree angle right outside the arc and lets people guard her. (She did this in the All-Star Game, too, but people stopped guarding her, so she hit some shots.)

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/30/05 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Svet doesn't have assist-making abilities. She has amazing field-goal-scoring abilities, but her passes are, um, interesting. Her assist-to-turnover ratio has been below 1 for all but one of her seasons (in 2004 it was almost exactly 1), though she compensates by getting about 1.5 steals per game.

Reminds me of Adrian Williams in Phoenix...she would get a steal...then turn it over by dribbling it off her foot, traveling, or throwing it away. Caune and I could count to three after one of Adrian's steals, and by the count of three, Adrian had turned it over!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: