RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty @ Sun
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're rightm, but if Patty wants to REALLY shake things up, she will put Amisha back on the IR and activate Jen Smith....What a fool! LOL!

[quote="Queenie"]
FudPucked wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:
Something different? WTF does that mean?? Oh so we're starting Thorn, Jen Smith, L-Moore, Kraayveld and Frett on Sunday???

PROBABLY Rolling Eyes

We can't start Jen. She's on IR. It would have to be Amisha.

/deadpan

I vote for keelhauling whoever's in charge of making the decisiosn.

FudPucked

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only sense I can make of any of it is the crack pipe Confused

PostPosted: 07/29/05 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess so. Apparently rational thought goes out the window in the Liberty organization! Ugh!

FudPucked wrote:
The only sense I can make of any of it is the crack pipe Confused

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/29/05 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I'm just generally interested in why coaches do the things they do.

After listening to Coyle's postgame comments (thanks for the heads up on that, btw) on the msgnetwork.com and looking at the play-by-play for the game, here's my take on it.

At halftime, NY held a 10-point lead. When asked, what happened, Coyle's main point was the Connecticut zone. She said it took "us" a while to figure out what worked against it. She's obviously referring to the first part of the second half, when the Sun caught up. At 14:13 a basket by Douglas tied the game:

(14:13) [CON 39-39] Douglas Jump Shot: Made (11 PTS) Assist: Whalen (4 AST)
(13:40) [NYL] Team Turnover: 24 Second Violation ( TO)
(13:40) [NYL] Team Timeout: Regular
(13:40) [NYL] Johnson Substitution replaced by Thorn
(13:21) [CON 41-39] Jones Hook Shot: Made (4 PTS) Assist: McWilliams-Franklin (
(12:54) [NYL 42-41] Thorn Jump Shot: Made (7 PTS) Assist: Christon (6 AST)

Right afterwards, NY had a shot clock violation. Coyle called time out. During that timeout, Thorn went in for Johnson. Less than a minute later, she hit a 3-pointer on an assist from Christon to put NY back in the lead.

Altogether, I think that means that Coyle wasn't happy with how Johnson was playing against the zone (for whatever reason) and put Thorn in as a "zone buster." Since Thorn immediately responded with a 3, she stayed in. I thought the comment about "needing somebody different" in there referred specifically to this situation in the second half, where NYL had lost the lead and struggled against CT's zone, not a general comment about who would play in the next game.

As to whether it was the right decision, who knows. However, if you look at the facts . . . NY lost the lead spectacularly BEFORE Thorn went in, Thorn's basket stopped the bleeding and from there on the teams played toe-to-toe. "What ifs" can drive you crazy, but in terms of what actually happened, I think it's hard to put too much of the blame for the loss on Coyle's decision to put Thorn in the game.

If somebody really wanted to understand that decision and evaluate it, I think the two keys would be (1) breaking down the shot clock violation just before Coyle took VJ out, and (2) looking at the different defenses that CT used. From her comments, it sounded like CT hadn't been in the zone the whole game, but when they started the 2nd half with it, it threw NY off. I honestly don't remember whether that's what happened or not. Then the other question is how CT reacted defensively after Thorn went in.

Maybe after looking at it that way, the decision would still seem just as much a bonehead decision as some of you think it was, but if anybody wanted to make a fair and serious evaluation, I think it'd be worth looking at.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/29/05 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post! Sorry!

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/29/05 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well as someone who has no "dog" you made some interesting points. However, there's NO way that VJ is worse at breaking a zone than Erin Thorn is. If I had a choice and the game was on the line, I'd go to war w/ VJ at my side.

Also, if Erin is in and so is Becky or Loree, who should handle the ball? Certainly not Erin. Lindsay picked her pocket left & right. Also, with VJ on Lindsay, she had ZERO points the first half. Without VJ on Lindsay, she went off for 10 pts. Without seven of those points, the Libs win the game.

That's MY rationale since my dog is certainly in the fight Wink

[quote="VandyWhit"]Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I'm just generally interested in why coaches do the things they do.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 07/29/05 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Not that I have a dog in the fight, but I'm just generally interested in why coaches do the things they do.

After listening to Coyle's postgame comments (thanks for the heads up on that, btw) on the msgnetwork.com and looking at the play-by-play for the game, here's my take on it.

At halftime, NY held a 10-point lead. When asked, what happened, Coyle's main point was the Connecticut zone. She said it took "us" a while to figure out what worked against it. She's obviously referring to the first part of the second half, when the Sun caught up. At 14:13 a basket by Douglas tied the game:

Right afterwards, NY had a shot clock violation. Coyle called time out. During that timeout, Thorn went in for Johnson. Less than a minute later, she hit a 3-pointer on an assist from Christon to put NY back in the lead.

Altogether, I think that means that Coyle wasn't happy with how Johnson was playing against the zone (for whatever reason) and put Thorn in as a "zone buster." Since Thorn immediately responded with a 3, she stayed in. I thought the comment about "needing somebody different" in there referred specifically to this situation in the second half, where NYL had lost the lead and struggled against CT's zone, not a general comment about who would play in the next game.

As to whether it was the right decision, who knows. However, if you look at the facts . . . NY lost the lead spectacularly BEFORE Thorn went in, Thorn's basket stopped the bleeding and from there on the teams played toe-to-toe. "What ifs" can drive you crazy, but in terms of what actually happened, I think it's hard to put too much of the blame for the loss on Coyle's decision to put Thorn in the game.

If somebody really wanted to understand that decision and evaluate it, I think the two keys would be (1) breaking down the shot clock violation just before Coyle took VJ out, and (2) looking at the different defenses that CT used. From her comments, it sounded like CT hadn't been in the zone the whole game, but when they started the 2nd half with it, it threw NY off. I honestly don't remember whether that's what happened or not. Then the other question is how CT reacted defensively after Thorn went in.

Maybe after looking at it that way, the decision would still seem just as much a bonehead decision as some of you think it was, but if anybody wanted to make a fair and serious evaluation, I think it'd be worth looking at.

regarding Erin Thorn - when she missed those first 3 shots, i was thinking, 'crap, you're a shooter, if you can't land them, get the F out of the game.' but then she DID land them (what, 3 3-pointers?) and so my guess is it's that simple as to why she stayed in the game. she was producing in the way they expect her to. i seriously doubt patty expects thorn's defense to be as good as VJ's, unless she is smoking something, so i don't know if we should give her as much "analytical" credit as Vandy is (good post, Vandy!) to me, they put Erin in to hit some threes, and she hit some threes, so they kept her in.

CT is a stronger team than we are. Unfortunate, but true. Can we beat them? Sure. Obviously - - we have. But will we dominate the record against them this year? Doubtful, unless we're all playing our very best bball FOR 40 MINUTES, and that is hard for ANY team, and apparently, particularly hard for NY (what else is new?)

another thought - maybe VJ was tired? erin is about 10 years younger, i think, and VJ played a lot of minutes the night before, right?

i don't want to complain about ann wauters, because overall she's doing really, really well and i'm thrilled with her progress, but when the ball was stolen from her in the final minute of the game, she barely got up off the floor, and if you watch the tape, she had a chance to fight to get it back - it will still right near her on our side of the floor, not passed yet; she could have tried to tip it back out of CT's (ashja jones'?) hands...maybe fought for a jump ball, but she just laid there, defeated-like. where's the hunger? can you see swoopes -- or even becky -- doing that? she needs to work on that.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 07/29/05 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oops. double post.

Last edited by thesixthwoman on 07/29/05 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 07/29/05 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vandywhit, you offer a good scenario, but did vj not contribute to that 10-point lead? she had a 3pointer, a rebound, 2 assist, a steal . . . my first reaction to patty's comments was that something happened - maybe an attitude, ill-advised words - that prompted patty to bench vj, and patty just couldn't think fast enough or cleverly enough to come up with a cover story (or foolishly wasn't anticipating the question, or all of the above). i could be way off, but that was my reaction.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
my first reaction to patty's comments was that something happened - maybe an attitude, ill-advised words - that prompted patty to bench vj

bibb, that was my feeling too. sitting there watching all this go down, my first thought was: crystal and vj mutinied, and patty is asserting her authority.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
You're rightm, but if Patty wants to REALLY shake things up, she will put Amisha back on the IR and activate Jen Smith....What a fool! LOL!

Why doesn't she REALLY shake things up and let Marianne coach? Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/29/05 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:

That's what it looked like to me... that and they needed somebody to rest some starters.. but of course, hindsight is 20-20...

BTW, how was Faith & Family Night? Question

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/29/05 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
vandywhit, you offer a good scenario, but did vj not contribute to that 10-point lead? she had a 3pointer, a rebound, 2 assist, a steal . . . my first reaction to patty's comments was that something happened - maybe an attitude, ill-advised words - that prompted patty to bench vj, and patty just couldn't think fast enough or cleverly enough to come up with a cover story (or foolishly wasn't anticipating the question, or all of the above). i could be way off, but that was my reaction.

Yeah, that definitely could have been part of it. It wouldn't have been the first tme something like that happened in that kind of a situation. Given the facts of the situation, it's possible that Coyle thought that VJ carried a big share of the responsibility for the shot clock violation and said something about it, VJ responded, and Coyle reacted. Just speculation, but it certainly seems plausible to me.

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/29/05 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
CT is a stronger team than we are. Unfortunate, but true.

Tara, you of all people.....are you giving up on the Libs already...

CT has better coaching....but a stronger team....not yet

NY was on the road, on the back end of a backtoback, without their BEST DEFENSIVE starter and the SUN won by 3points

I congratulate the Sun and their fans on the victory, and the fact that their team hung in to bring it home

But at the same time, I should hope that the SUN have been put on notice that NY is not to be taken lightly, and might present the biggest obstacle to their making it to the finals this year.

Of course NY`s biggest obstacle is the asshole they have for a coach, and getting to the playoffs in spite of her.

PostPosted: 07/29/05 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few observations to add to this thread (fuel to the fire?).....for all those minutes that Crystal and VJ were sitting, they were together, as far down the bench from the coaches as possible, and din't look "tired" to me......as for Faith and Family Night it was (thankfully!) decidedly low-key....a video thing during a time-out with some Sun players talking about what their family means to them....Sweet Adelines group singing "One day you're gonna want me for your girl" at half-time.....

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 07/29/05 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nah, that would mean logic and FFO doesn't do logic!! Shame on you DTS Wink

dtsnms wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Why doesn't she REALLY shake things up and let Marianne coach? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: