RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My predictions for top 25 at end of the year:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryi22

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:30 pm    ::: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

1. Tennessee-6 pack+Zol+Tye+3 other great players+Pat=top ranking
2. Georgia-best post game in the nation, will cause major matchup problems
3. Ohio State-Merrill and Davenport will be monsters down low, they'll dominate the regular season in the big 11
4. Duke-they'll suffer a couple losses but still good enough for a #1 seed
5. Rutgers-dominate the big east, only question is if they can play offense
6. Maryland-Frese is a great coach, and they are loaded with talent
7. North Carolina-great Pg in latta, Little will have a great season
8. Baylor-Young and Niemann make Baylor the top team in the big12, they'll miss Blackmon and Whitaker a lot.
9. UCLA-Quinn and Blue make this team very dangerous, they also have good role players
10. Oklahoma-Paris twins will be even better than advertised, I don't know if there is a player in the nation who will be able to stop her
11. LSU-they lose 3 starters, including Johnson, they will badly miss her, White will need to have a HUGE season for them to be back in the final four
12. NCST-they will be a rock solid team next season. They were a 4 seed last year, and they return virtually everybody, and add in Gillian Goring who will be the goto player and scoring machine
13. Texas Tech-they'll have a solid season, Erin Grant is a great player
14. Purdue-they return Wysdom-Hilton(sp?), Geralds and Lawless
15. Connecticut-probably a little low, but they have point guard problems, and they are too small. Crockett will need to have a MONSTER season if Hunter isn't 100%.
16. Stanford-They lose a bunch of seniors but still return Wiggins and Smith.
17. Texas-they lose 2 of their best players. Norman will need to step up bigtime, and Arriaran will need to play like the best frosh in the nation.
18. Minnesota-return everybody but McCarville, Podominick and Broback will need to really step up.
19. Michigan State-possibly a little low, but they lose Haynie who was huge for them, and Roerhig who was a huge presence inside. A lot of responsibilty will be placed on Shives shoulers.
20. Temple-Staley is a great coach, and Dupree is a great player. They'll soar through the A10, and have another solid season
21. Vanderbilt-They'll have Davis, Thomas and now Wirth and Sherwood, they'll have a good season in the SEC and they could break into the top 10 at a point in the season.
22. Arizona State-add in Kristen Thompson inside, they'll be a tough team to beat
23. DePaul-Khara Smith will be back, they'll be a tough team to face
24.Notre Dame-Lavere, Schrader and Duffy will make this team tough to face
25. Boston College-return everybody but Droesch and Deveny.

Which teams am I missing and what are all of your top 25's?

Last edited by barryi22 on 07/28/05 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatValeska

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well done.

Really, I think I'll come up with the same 25 teams when I get around to putting my mind to it.

I don't, however, agree that the Paris twins will be enough to vault Oklahoma that high, especially given the loss of Dionnah Jackson. While the twins mpressed me very much when I was fortunate enough to see them play last year, I don't expect either will be quite as much a force this year as quicker big gals like Fowles or Tiffany Jackson.

Likewise, I don't expect Baylor to fall quite so much - if at all.

DblT81

PostPosted: 07/27/05 9:35 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:

8. Baylor-Young and Niemann make Baylor the top team in the big12, they'll miss Blackmon and Whitaker a lot.
9. UCLA-Quinn and Blue make this team very dangerous, they also have good role players
12. NCST-they will be a rock solid team next season. They were a 4 seed last year, and they return virtually everybody, and add in Gillian Goring who will be the goto player and scoring machine

The sophomore point guard that will play for Baylor is better than Whitaker. She split time with Whitaker for most of the season last year. But KMR went with the senior in the post season. Baylor will NOT miss Whitaker. Blackmon was OK but she was inconsistent. I don't see Blackmon or Whitaker anywhere in the WNBA. If they were so special shouldn't they still be playing?

Sophia Young is a star. She has that thing that special players have. That thing that Sheryl Swoopes has. Young is a winner. She is one of the top 3 players in the nation and she will carry Baylor a long way.

UCLA didn't play so great in Australia this summer. I won't put them in the Top 10 till they earn it.

NC State was a 5 seed last season, not a 4 seed. http://gopack.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031305aab.html

Was Gillian Goring a scoring machine in Junior College?

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/27/05 10:12 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

Was Gillian Goring a scoring machine in Junior College?[/quote]

Acutally, I'm not sure if she was, but she put up solid numbers in HS and is supposed to be a player with lots of potential. Geno once called her "the female Hakeem" so I think that she'll surprise a lot of people next season.

DblT81

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:20 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?sid=23&divid=1&gender=w&slid=11&menu=3

Goring wasn't in the Top 25 in NJCAA Div I Scoring or Shooting percentage. I would think that a scoring machine of Goring's height might fare better against JUCO competition.

I'm trying to figure out how she is going to do even better against DI NCAA competition.

I will agree that if she is any good at NC State, I'll certainly be surprised.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:34 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
1. Tennessee-6 pack+Zol+Tye+3 other great players+Pat=top ranking
2. Georgia-best post game in the nation, will cause major matchup problems
3. Ohio State-Merrill and Davenport will be monsters down low, they'll dominate the regular season in the big 11
4. Duke-they'll suffer a couple losses but still good enough for a #1 seed
5. Rutgers-dominate the big east, only question is if they can play offense
6. Maryland-Frese is a great coach, and they are loaded with talent
7. North Carolina-great Pg in latta, Little will have a great season
10. Oklahoma-Paris twins will be even better than advertised, I don't know if there is a player in the nation who will be able to stop her
11. LSU-they lose 3 starters, including Johnson, they will badly miss her, White will need to have a HUGE season for them to be back in the final four
13. Texas Tech-they'll have a solid season, Erin Grant is a great player
14. Purdue-they return Wysdom-Hilton(sp?), Geralds and Lawless
15. Connecticut-probably a little low, but they have point guard problems, and they are too small. Crockett will need to have a MONSTER season if Hunter isn't 100%.
16. Stanford-They lose a bunch of seniors but still return Wiggins and Smith.
17. Texas-they lose 2 of their best players. Norman will need to step up bigtime, and Arriaran will need to play like the best frosh in the nation.
18. Minnesota-return everybody but McCarville, Podominick and Broback will need to really step up.
19. Michigan State-possibly a little low, but they lose Haynie who was huge for them, and Roerhig who was a huge presence inside. A lot of responsibilty will be placed on Shives shoulers.
20. Temple-Staley is a great coach, and Dupree is a great player. They'll soar through the A10, and have another solid season
21. Vanderbilt-They'll have Davis, Thomas and now Wirth, they'll have a good season in the SEC.
22. Arizona State-add in Kristen Thompson inside, they'll be a tough team to beat
23. DePaul-Khara Smith will be back, they'll be a tough team to face
24.Notre Dame-Lavere, Schrader and Duffy will make this team tough to face
25. Boston College-return everybody but Droesch and Deveny.

Which teams am I missing and what are all of your top 25's?

I agree with what you said for the most part. I think Texas Tech should be higher though. They could have a good season in the Big 12. I think the Terps could finish first in the Nation and ACC. They are THAT tough. AS a big ten person, heres what I can say about the Big Ten. Ohio State will be unstopable. Jessica Davenport is making a name for herself as a SOPHMORE. Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa and Illinois could have good seasons for the Big Ten. Minnesota will not only miss what Janel did on the court, but her leadership. I dont think Minnesota will crack the top 25. Penn State will drop horribly after the transerring fiasco. Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Michigan...well...wont be good. Thats my take.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:30 am    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

I would swap UCLA and Stanford. UConn and Baylor will be higher. I don't believe UT is the shoo-in for NC; they will be challenged by teams with experience, such as LSU and Baylor.

PostPosted: 07/28/05 12:40 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="bballjunkee212"]I would swap UCLA and Stanford. UConn and Baylor will be higher. I don't believe UT is the shoo-in for NC; they will be challenged by teams with experience, such as LSU and Baylor.[/quote]

Tennessee has much more experience on its team than LSU or Baylor. Shanna Z and Tye Fluker have been to 3 straight final fours. LSU also will be more inexperienced than experienced, they'll have a new point guard so they don't have nearly as much experience as UT. Also, it is incredibly difficult to go back-to-back, especially when you lose your second best player and starting PG. When this happens and when your recruiting class isn't in the top 15, I don't see how your team can improve much. I think that Baylor will have a good season, and I think they will win the big 12, but I don't think they'll have a season like they did this last season. IMO, Goring will have a monster season in the ACC. She is a great defender and will provide the big presence in the middle that will put NCST in the top 15. I also don't think that Connecticut will have a typical UCONN season, I think it will be similar to last season. Strother has been a big bust, she is a good passer and shooter but she isn't clutch and doesn't create her own shot well. Barb Turner is a good 4, but she is 6-0 which isn't big enough when they'll face a tall team like Georgia or Tennessee in the NCAA's. Connecticut will not be able to rely on Hunter because she is JUST coming off an injury, and anything that she is able to provide is needed. Crockett needs to rebound well, and she needs to be consistent, or else they will be killed on the glass against some of the top 10 teams in the nation. Wolff also needs to step up. If she can have a breakout season then I think they make crack into the top 10. Then finally, they need a PG to step up. IMO Swanier isn't the answer, so that means they are left with Thomas and Montgomery. They'll need for a player to step up, or else they will have a season similar to last season.
Here is a list of what Connecticut needs in order for them to have any chance at going back to the final four:
1. Need a PG to step up
2. Need Crockett to be a consistent presence in the middle
3. Need Wolff, and Strother to step up their games
4. Need Houston to be consistent
5. Turner should work on her perimeter game because she doesn't have the height for a 4, but I think it would benefit UCONN most if she was moved to the 3.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 07/28/05 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice to see you put Purdue that far up. I sure hope you're right! I cannot wait for the basketball season to start so we can get this party started! LOL!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/28/05 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great list. I agree with Prof.Chaos that there's not much to disagree with in the teams on the list. Only quibbles are with placement.

Too High (IMHO):

2. Georgia-
3. Ohio State-
6. Maryland
9. UCLA-
10. Oklahoma-
12. NCST-
14. Purdue
17. Texas-
18. Minnesota-

Too Low (also IMHO):

Baylor
Stanford
USC

~rAf

~rAf
Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 07/28/05 5:46 pm    ::: Yeah Reply Reply with quote

I have a hard time thinking UCLA is likely to surpass Stanford as long as Stanford has Wiggins. I know UCLA has the talent, just don't buy that they'll actually be able to use it and be top 10 in the nation.

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we're favourites to win the Pac-10 again - Wiggins in awesome and we always find a way to pull it out. Arizona State is our biggest threat. UCLA will never flourish with Olivier at the helm and they don't have any posts either.
Grumps

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Great list. I agree with Prof.Chaos that there's not much to disagree with in the teams on the list. Only quibbles are with placement.

Too High (IMHO):

2. Georgia-
3. Ohio State-
6. Maryland
9. UCLA-
10. Oklahoma-
12. NCST-
14. Purdue
17. Texas-
18. Minnesota-

Too Low (also IMHO):

Baylor
Stanford
USC

~rAf

Whether GA is too high or not nationally I don't know, but I think GA will give TN it's biggest test in the SEC...Humphreys is a hoss and she will have help in the middle this year, plus they have all those dang pesky quick guards...

Grumps

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:
Whether GA is too high or not nationally I don't know, but I think GA will give TN it's biggest test in the SEC...Humphreys is a hoss and she will have help in the middle this year, plus they have all those dang pesky quick guards...

Grumps

Russell should be a very good compliment to Humphries in the paint. At least she will be if she can handle not being the focus of the offense.

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Russell should be a very good compliment to Humphries in the paint. At least she will be if she can handle not being the focus of the offense.

Not that Russell actually saw much of the offense in Penn State...

I'm aware she left because of her reduced role but after seeing her role, I would have left as well.
ucbart

PostPosted: 07/29/05 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN will struggle this seaosn I agree, but there is no way Rutgers will dominate us. Geno is too good of a coach, and he knows CViv and RU like the back of his hand. FWIW, our pg situation is better than it was last year.

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/29/05 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ucbart"]UCONN will struggle this seaosn I agree, but there is no way Rutgers will dominate us. Geno is too good of a coach, and he knows CViv and RU like the back of his hand. FWIW, our pg situation is better than it was last year.[/quote]

I don't think that Rutgers will dominate UCONN, but I think they will dominate the big east with only 1 or 2 losses. The PG situation is better for UCONN but the post situation isn't, and they lost Battle who was their spark off the bench and gave valueable minutes to the team.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/29/05 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
UCONN will struggle this seaosn I agree, but there is no way Rutgers will dominate us. Geno is too good of a coach, and he knows CViv and RU like the back of his hand. FWIW, our pg situation is better than it was last year.

I don't think that Rutgers will dominate UCONN, but I think they will dominate the big east with only 1 or 2 losses. The PG situation is better for UCONN but the post situation isn't, and they lost Battle who was their spark off the bench and gave valueable minutes to the team.

I'll give you one good reason Rugters will win the Big East : Matee Ajavon.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 08/19/05 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA won't be anywhere near the top 10, Nikki Blue has to much of the Diva in her personality for that team to function as smoothly as it needs to without a significant post presence. ASU will fall hard, not to the bottom of the Pac but most likely somewhere in the middle. You just can't replace 4 players with the experience their 4 seniors had with freshman and sophomores in the back-court and expect to excel. Much as it pains me to say it, Kylan Loney was an exceptional player and leader for them and even though they now have a standout senior post in Kovesdy and a highly ranked, though very poorly behaved recruit in Thompson, they don't have any proven guards that can get her the ball. USC accomplished what they did last year with smoke and mirrors, they'll be fairly strong again this year with that experience but the conference seemed to figure them out during the second half of the conference season. Here's a team that's gonna come from off the radar and go dancing: Washington. The UW was on fire towards the end of last season and they will continue to improve this year. A much softer non-conference schedule and a weaker conference will put them in the twenty win range this year. Their situation is much like the UW men's situation two years ago where the juniors and sophomores on the team are head and shoulders above some of their counterparts at other schools because of the amount of playing time they've had in their first two seasons. Further, the two seniors that returned from injury last year are going to be back to there level of excellence before the injuries now both are completely healthy and have the rust off.

John Wooden
MSUstudent31

PostPosted: 08/19/05 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

Yes Sir!! My home girl is going to do big things this year. Matee+Cappie=best backcourt in the nation.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/20/05 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FWIW, our pg situation is better than it was last year.

Well, let's see...last year at this time we were hearing about the two frosh studs who would both see lots of playing time at guard last season: Ketia Swanier and Mel Thomas. This year we're hearing that now that they've gone to point guard school, this year we'll REALLY see how good they are. Plus we're hearing that Renee Montgomery could very well be better than them.

I'm glad you're feeling optimistic about the PG situation at UConn. i wouldn't be.

By the same token, if you'd told me that Duke would only lose 5 games with no true point guard last season, I'd have asked you what Duke blue glasses you were looking through. Y'all might really have the right pg's to take the Huskies deeper this season. Or at least to win the Big East.

~rAf

~rAf
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/22/05 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSUstudent31 wrote:
Streaks wrote:

Yes Sir!! My home girl is going to do big things this year. Matee+Cappie=best backcourt in the nation.

I'll second this.

Mathies to LA 2013
gopher5

PostPosted: 08/22/05 1:16 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

AS a big ten person, heres what I can say about the Big Ten. Ohio State will be unstopable. Jessica Davenport is making a name for herself as a SOPHMORE. Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa and Illinois could have good seasons for the Big Ten. Minnesota will not only miss what Janel did on the court, but her leadership. I dont think Minnesota will crack the top 25. Penn State will drop horribly after the transerring fiasco. Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Michigan...well...wont be good. Thats my take.

Just a quick note about MN. I'm not sure where they will end up, but I expect them in the top four for sure. McCarville will be missed, but not as much from a leadership stand point. The Gophers have six seniors led by Schonrock, Bolden and Calhoun. Schoney struggled a little last year while she battled an injury but was second to none in terms of her leadership. Broback and Liz, along with sophomores Lacey and Williams and freshman Ellis-Milan should be able to fill the void left by McCarville.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 08/23/05 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that top 25 I will pick Georgia to win cause they are reppin my home state

but this year will be great for womens college basketball

stormfan13

PostPosted: 08/25/05 6:50 pm    ::: Re: My predictions for top 25 at end of the year: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:

WTF? Uconn will be at least top 5!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: