RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2006 WNBA Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 07/27/05 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no doubt that Annie has shown flashes of greatness. Most of those flashes have come within the 3 point line. I just don't know if she'll ever be the go-to player UConn needs - I think she is the type of player that can shine in the backseat with a superstar, like when Dee was at UConn. We will see if she develops a passion to play this year, instead of just farting around on the 3 point line. If she does, she can be a heck of a player. A 6' 2" shooting guard? You don't see that very often...

wadethered

PostPosted: 07/28/05 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

Actually, I was deciding between Erin and Liz Shimek. LaToya really impressed me but Erin has always impressed me. It was a tough choice but I think teams towards the end of the draft (where Shimek and Grant will probably be taken) will probably go after a post player.

What makes you so high on LaToya Davis? At this point in her career she'd be a late 3rd rounder to me. Nothing she has aver done has even said "All-Conferece" player to me, and she's too short to play the 4. Shimek, on the other hand, who is also 6-1, can play the 3. That makes her more valuable.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched LaToya in the Big 12 tournament and she played well. She has nice post moves and nice touch around the basket. Shes undersized, but i think she has the skills to make it in the WNBA.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there should be more skepticism about Augustus as a top 5 pick. My impression of her game from a few televised contests is that it's heavily mid-range jumpers. Very few FTs and even fewer 3s.

Anyone else have some doubts about her potential in the W?

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
I think there should be more skepticism about Augustus as a top 5 pick. My impression of her game from a few televised contests is that it's heavily mid-range jumpers. Very few FTs and even fewer 3s.

She's certainly a top 5 pick - she has great athleticism and consistency from mid-range. She does need to improve her floor game and D though.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tamara James has really improved her outside game, but I wonder if she is going to be able to be effective when she isn't the first option. While she be closer to Tan White or to Chandi Jones?

Nikki Blue is an intriguing prospect, if she can play the point.

Erin Grant will go high, because of the need for point guards.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:

The draft isn't as deep as people are making it out to be.

Augustus is something of an enigma. There hasn't really been anyone like her that I can recall. The plight of 2-guards without a three point shot has been hashed over here on several occasions.

PostPosted: 07/28/05 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft is top heavy but lacking in depth.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
There's no doubt that Annie has shown flashes of greatness. Most of those flashes have come within the 3 point line. I just don't know if she'll ever be the go-to player UConn needs - I think she is the type of player that can shine in the backseat with a superstar, like when Dee was at UConn. We will see if she develops a passion to play this year, instead of just farting around on the 3 point line. If she does, she can be a heck of a player. A 6' 2" shooting guard? You don't see that very often...

I agree with what you said, her height and talent alone will make her higher in the draft...I personally think she'll have a better WNBA career than turner..because as feisty as Turner is, a 6'ft forward (and that is exagerating) just isn't as welcoming as a 6'2 guard. IMO, Strother gets drafted in the first round, depending upon how good she is this year, will decide where. Strother's defense is pretty good, and like you said, She's best when she has a star and she can be second in command..She likes to be Pippen not Jordan...which is okay, because teams need both.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
The draft is top heavy but lacking in depth.

Yeah, I see 10-15 players, that in their career could be solid players. But I don't see any 3rd rounders staying like Amber Jacobs....

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Streaks"][quote="Keegan"]The draft is top heavy but lacking in depth.[/quote]

Yeah, I see 10-15 players, that in their career could be solid players. But I don't see any 3rd rounders staying like Amber Jacobs....[/quote]

I agree with this. I think that there will be 5 players who will have double figures in their careers, 10-12 solid role players, and 5-7 players that will ride the bench with different teams over their 3-4 year career. I think that Strother could be a top round pick if she does improve her game and her effort. If she doesn't improve much, it would be a very risky pick IMO. 5 players who will be seniors next season who I'm anxious to see are:
Strother-is she more than a 1 trick pony behind the arc?
Zolman-will her defense and ball handling be improved?
Augustus-how will she do without one of the 5 best PG's in the WNBA?
Fluker-will she play like she did last season before her grandmother passed away?
Polk-will she be in better shape or improved?

All of these players have first round potential(besides SA who is a top pick potential) because they have all shown flashes of greatness, but can they add onto it and play consistently?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IF Strother, Zolman, or Fluker are major players in the W, we have proof that we shouldn't expand.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
IF Strother, Zolman, or Fluker are major players in the W, we have proof that we shouldn't expand.

I've never been impressed with Fluker. If she wasnt as tall as she is, she'd be nothing. A lot like Ashley Robinson (although A-Rob has improved over the offseason). Strother is a tough player to look at draft wise without looking at this upcoming season. Strother was great when Diana was at UCONN. But she never struck me as a very vocal player. Last year, we saw her lack confidence and thats what I'm worried about. I think she has the skills but she needs to show them. She needs to prove to her team that she can play without Diana Taurasi. But again, she is still good. Zolman will be a nice pick but do you think she'll play point in the WNBA? 'Cause she lacks a little size. Although, I shouldnt say that seeing as this years Rookie of the Year leader is a small woman herself Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ann Strother is Iciss Tillis waiting to happen. That's about the extent of career she'll have.

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ann Strother is Iciss Tillis waiting to happen. That's about the extent of career she'll have.

Good comparison. I never thought about that.

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Streaks"][quote="PUmatty"]IF Strother, Zolman, or Fluker are major players in the W, we have proof that we shouldn't expand.[/quote]

I've never been impressed with Fluker. If she wasnt as tall as she is, she'd be nothing. A lot like Ashley Robinson (although A-Rob has improved over the offseason). Strother is a tough player to look at draft wise without looking at this upcoming season. Strother was great when Diana was at UCONN. But she never struck me as a very vocal player. Last year, we saw her lack confidence and thats what I'm worried about. I think she has the skills but she needs to show them. She needs to prove to her team that she can play without Diana Taurasi. But again, she is still good. Zolman will be a nice pick but do you think she'll play point in the WNBA? 'Cause she lacks a little size. Although, I shouldnt say that seeing as this years Rookie of the Year leader is a small woman herself :P[/quote]

Fluker was playing great in the SEC before her grandmother died, she was averaging 13/8. I think she'd be a solid 2nd round pick. I think this season will answer alot of question about Strother. I don't think that Zolman can play the point, and she will not get the chance with SWG and AH playing. Zolman isn't huge, but if she can become a better defender and improve her ball handling, I think she should be a shoe-in for a first round draft pick. She could also play a role similar to one that Laurie Koehn has in Washington, but I think she is a much better player overall than Laurie Koehn and would be able to bring more than Koehn. She also has improved steadily over her career at UT. As a frosh, she wasn't really good at anything besides the 3 ball. Now she moves well without the ball, can create her own shot, and can get to the foul line. I think she'll have a solid career in the WNBA.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be very interested to see how Zolman does this year, she's much buffer than she was her first two years, she's solid as a rock now. She has improved her overall game, she reminds me of Katie Smith, she could be that good, if she applies herself and keeps her focus. She has amazing potential, it'll be interesting to see what she does this year.

But, she isn't a point guard, she might fake it for short spells, but not on a consistent basis. She's dynamite at the line, and has worked hard on getting to the line as much as possible, you got to respect that outside shot though or she can burn you all night long.

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zolman has a similar game to Sandy Brondello though I don't think she is at the same level. She's also bigger and chunkier than Brondello.

Last edited by Keegan on 07/28/05 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
stever

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
I'll be very interested to see how Zolman does this year, she's much buffer than she was her first two years, she's solid as a rock now. She has improved her overall game, she reminds me of Katie Smith, she could be that good, if she applies herself and keeps her focus. She has amazing potential, it'll be interesting to see what she does this year.

But, she isn't a point guard, she might fake it for short spells, but not on a consistent basis. She's dynamite at the line, and has worked hard on getting to the line as much as possible, you got to respect that outside shot though or she can burn you all night long.

Reb: I've been meaning to ask you, have you heard anything recently re: Sid Spencer's status?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Zolman has a similar game to Sandy Brondello though I'm not sure whether she's on the same level (I don't think she is). She's also bigger and chunkier than Brondello.

Give me your definition of chunkier?

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/28/05 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Give me your definition of chunkier?

Sandy is shorter and skinner (and quicker). Zolman has a bigger and stronger build. Which is better? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tillis is much more athletic than Strother and will still have a chance next year at 6-5. I think Kate Starbird is a closer comparison.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I think Kate Starbird is a closer comparison.

Except that Strother isn't nearly that good.

I was actually thinking that Augustis reminds me of Starbird a little. She's a little bigger and has less range, but she strikes me kind of the same way.

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say Katie Smith and certainly not Brondello... maybe I'd go for a shoot-happier Whalen, but for me, I'm reminded of Gordana Grubin in her prime. Idea

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/28/05 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CamrnCrz1974"][quote="pilight"]Ann Strother is Iciss Tillis waiting to happen. That's about the extent of career she'll have.[/quote]

Tillis is much more athletic than Strother and will still have a chance next year at 6-5. I think Kate Starbird is a closer comparison.[/quote]

Didn't Starbird have a couple good seasons in the ABL? Strother does remind me of Starbird a little bit, but Starbird has a better all around game as she was POY in 1997. When I saw the 97 semifinal between Stanford and ODU, I don't know if I've seen a game where 2 teams have wanted to win so badly. I was so impressed with Kate in the first half, then she couldn't hit anything in the second. While the game was being played, I thought that game was the championship game because the winner's next game would be against a team with 10 losses(and of course the 10 loss team ended up beating the 1 loss team).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: