RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2006 WNBA Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gownbago

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:49 am    ::: 2006 WNBA Draft Reply Reply with quote

I couldn't find the old thread on her after searching for a while about Top 5 players of the draft.

I have Augustus, Pondexter, Young and Currie. Who is the 5th best player in that top 5 list? I forgot? I know those five are head and shoulders among the rest. I do have a list from six to eleven that is strong 1st rounder, then its just the rest.

Any help, my mind is going blank here on the 5th name.

Thanks!

Four

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

could it be sophia young of baylor?

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say Shawntinice Polk from Arizona. Next years draft is going to be very deep. I mean you look at names like LaToya Davis, Tamara James, Liz Shimek, Candace Dupree, Erin Grant, and Ann Strother. Next years draft should be a good one!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/27/05 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm all for Duke taking it all this next year, but I have this nagging thought that Currie is going to wish she had come out to the W this year instead of next year once it is all said and done.

I think her foot needed time to heal, so that is a good reason to wait...but, I am not sure her stock is going to hold up in next year's draft.

BTW, that is not to say she will drop to the second round...just maybe not the top three, where she might have gone first this year...and then be stuck in Charlotte...another good reason for her to go back to Duke this year.

Nevermind...

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, looking to next year, San Antonio could improve greatly! Right now they're looking for a solid wing player and their are two in this years draft. I mean, their line up next year could be very tough!

Johnson
Ferdinand
Augustus/Currie
Thomas
Feenstra

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
You know, looking to next year, San Antonio could improve greatly! Right now they're looking for a solid wing player and their are two in this years draft. I mean, their line up next year could be very tough!

Johnson
Ferdinand
Augustus/Currie
Thomas
Feenstra

Let's not forget Wecker!

Wecker? Shocked

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Streaks wrote:

Johnson
Ferdinand
Augustus/Currie
Thomas
Feenstra

Let's not forget Wecker!

Wecker? Shocked

Wow. I forgot Wecker. Now I feel stupid Razz

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were SA, I would be hoping for Pondexter. Johnson just isnt working out.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
If I were SA, I would be hoping for Pondexter. Johnson just isnt working out.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Edna Campbell would be a better fit at PG but she played the 2 at Sacramento. So, i dont know.

Chicago will probably get the 4-5 pick next year and miss out on Cappie but still, if teams save who I think they will and Charlotte gives up on same, this could be a nice starting line-up for the Chicago ______'s!

Tamicha Jackson
Sheri Sam
Plenette Pierson
Shalonda Enis
Shawntinice Polk

barryi22

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:34 pm    ::: Re: 2006 WNBA Draft Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Blue could be a solid 5th overall pick. I think that Shanna Z will go in the first round or early 2nd round, she is an unbelievable shooter, and her defense and ball handling may be improved next season. Currie, Pondexter, Augustus and Young are pretty much shoe-in's in my mind for the top 4 picks, they are the 4 best players.

MamaBristow

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Edna Campbell would be a better fit at PG but she played the 2 at Sacramento. So, i dont know.

Edna played the point in Sac too. Whatever year it was where Ticha had the really bad ankle sprain (2001?), she was our PG. And on occasion was used as her backup the following seasons. The 2004 season she just didn't play much of anything, but she'd be a capable point. SA needs to look for a point for the future, Pee Wee isn't working out, and Edna would only be a temporary fix. They need to trade for or draft a PG, hopefully Charlotte doesn't steal the best draft pick and waste it!

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess for pick #5 is Tamara James. She'll be next year's Tan White, great player on a horrible team.

1-4: Seimone Augustus, Monique Currie, Cappie Pondexter, Sophia Young

5-14: Nikki Blue, Erin Grant, Tamara James, Shawntinice Polk, Liz Shimek, Khara Smith, Kim Smith, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner, Shanna Zolman

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probable First Rounders: not in any particular order

Cappie Pondexter, Rutgers
Nikki Blue, UCLA
Ann Strother, Connecticut
Shanna Zolman, Tennessee
Seimone Augustus, LSU
Monique Currie, Duke
Tamara James, Miami
Barbara Turner, Connecticut
Sophia Young, Baylor
Latoya Davis, Texas Tech
Liz Shimek, Michigan State
Shawntinice Polk, Arizona
Khara Smith, DePaul
Candice Dupree, Temple

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way LaToya Davis gets drafted before Erin Grant.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
No way LaToya Davis gets drafted before Erin Grant.

Actually, I was deciding between Erin and Liz Shimek. LaToya really impressed me but Erin has always impressed me. It was a tough choice but I think teams towards the end of the draft (where Shimek and Grant will probably be taken) will probably go after a post player.

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:48 pm    ::: 2006 Draft Reply Reply with quote

The top 4 are a shoe-in, but most of the other prospects have lots of questions.

Tamara James: amazing scorer, but she's 5'9, and scores most of her points inside ft line--she won't be able to do this in the league. Think Shareeka Wright, with probably a little better outside shot.

Barbara Turner: When healthy, outstanding player. Only problem is she's probably too small for the 4, and does she have enough skills to play the 3 (the deepest position in the league)?

Liz Shimek: Is she tall/fast enough?

Candace Smith/Khara Smith: Are they strong/big/fast enough?

Polk: Will she finally get herself in shape?

Erin Grant: Wonderful pure point, but can she score on this level (not that the wnba lacks in non-scoring succesful points)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

" I have this nagging thought that Currie is going to wish she had come out to the W this year instead of next year once it is all said and done. "

You could very well be right...but for the wrong reason. I was surprised by Mo's decision to stay another year, but now I'm excited about the very real possibility of finally winning the big prize. Look at it this way: with this decision, Mo got to 1) rest her foot, 2) play in the World University games, 3) take graduate courses without shelling out any dinero, 4) play without being a full time undergraduate student, 5) play on a pre-season #1 team loaded with talent at all positions, 6) go back to playing the wing for close to 100% of her minutes, 7) she might even get some minutes at power forward this season, a position she's not tall enough to play in the WNBA.

And, think of this: with Mo focused this summer on competing for the USA in the University games, the other returning players from last year's team are developing their leadership skills with the incoming frosh (except Abby Waner so far). While Monique is THE player everyone on the team looks to, there should be plenty of folks ready, willing and able to step up in a variety of situations for this team.

I could be biased (well, yeah I AM biased) but I think this is the year people see a lot more of what Mo can do. This could finally be the best stage for her talents.

We'll see, won't we?

~rAf

~rAf
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/27/05 4:58 pm    ::: Re: 2006 Draft Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:

Didnt someone on this board say Polk lost a lot of weight? If so, she could be another Vanessa Hayden!

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/27/05 5:41 pm    ::: Re: 2006 Draft Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
bbsamjj wrote:

Didnt someone on this board say Polk lost a lot of weight? If so, she could be another Vanessa Hayden!

Well she looked more unfit last season than in previous seasons. I don't know what she's doing in the offseason.

Polk has the skills (excellent post passer) but she needs somebody to push her.
stever

PostPosted: 07/27/05 5:42 pm    ::: Re: 2006 Draft Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
bbsamjj wrote:

here's an article on Polk from a few weeks ago, she's had a lot of injury issues:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/82250

caune

PostPosted: 07/27/05 5:58 pm    ::: Re: 2006 Draft Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
bbsamjj wrote:

Actually, I said IF she'd lose weight, she'll be a really good csnter

PostPosted: 07/27/05 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as much as i love strother, i can't see her going in the first round unless she develops some serious aggresion this year. she's too passive and unwilling to assert herself.

PostPosted: 07/27/05 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Strother will not be drafted in the first round unless if she adds more to her game offensively. She needs to prove that she can score somewhere else besides the 3 point line. IMO, what makes Zolman more appealing than Strother is that Shanna's game has developed every season, where Ann's has not. I think that Mistie Williams may be drafted in the first round if she has a breakout season, she is a great player and I think that she will be a player who will put up 10/7 on any level.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 07/27/05 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
" I have this nagging thought that Currie is going to wish she had come out to the W this year instead of next year once it is all said and done. "

You could very well be right...but for the wrong reason. I was surprised by Mo's decision to stay another year, but now I'm excited about the very real possibility of finally winning the big prize. Look at it this way: with this decision, Mo got to 1) rest her foot, 2) play in the World University games, 3) take graduate courses without shelling out any dinero, 4) play without being a full time undergraduate student, 5) play on a pre-season #1 team loaded with talent at all positions, 6) go back to playing the wing for close to 100% of her minutes, 7) she might even get some minutes at power forward this season, a position she's not tall enough to play in the WNBA.

And, think of this: with Mo focused this summer on competing for the USA in the University games, the other returning players from last year's team are developing their leadership skills with the incoming frosh (except Abby Waner so far). While Monique is THE player everyone on the team looks to, there should be plenty of folks ready, willing and able to step up in a variety of situations for this team.

I could be biased (well, yeah I AM biased) but I think this is the year people see a lot more of what Mo can do. This could finally be the best stage for her talents.

We'll see, won't we?

~rAf

You left out the best reason to stay in school: She didn't get drafted by Charlotte (though she's not out of the woods yet).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: