RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comets Stir Up Winning Formula...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/27/05 3:19 am    ::: Comets Stir Up Winning Formula... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Comets (13-9) shot a franchise-record 65 percent from the field, moved the basketball inside and out crisply and played enough defense to snap a two-game skid.

"I thought we needed a little continuity and (needed) to bring back our team cohesiveness," Chancellor said.

Ahem.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkw/3283783

PostPosted: 07/27/05 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

in other words, not play Tina 32 minutes and let the players that got ya there play.

right van?

wow, he's a genious!

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 07/27/05 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer you are all over this story. Now everyone can finally agree. In the article, Tina stated that she is only about 50% right now. She said every game her legs are getting stronger and stronger. She also said she just wants the team to keep winning and keep building up their chemistry. Great mindset to have.

We knew, SS knew, even TT and the rest knew. Now Van knows, also. Tina was never ready to play all those minutes. Bringing her around slowly and getting her ready for playoffs(hopefully) is the best way to go.

I hope the Comets can parlay all of these good feelings into three more wins for the month of July. Tonight should be a good game but will be a challenge. It was always tought for the Comets in New York even in their winning days.

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT COMETS!!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/27/05 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the great Darrell Royal used to say, "You dance with who brung you"

...and that means that the Comets need to stick with what was working.

PostPosted: 07/27/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
Jammer you are all over this story. Now everyone can finally agree. In the article, Tina stated that she is only about 50% right now. She said every game her legs are getting stronger and stronger. She also said she just wants the team to keep winning and keep building up their chemistry. Great mindset to have.

We knew, SS knew, even TT and the rest knew. Now Van knows, also. Tina was never ready to play all those minutes. Bringing her around slowly and getting her ready for playoffs(hopefully) is the best way to go.

I hope the Comets can parlay all of these good feelings into three more wins for the month of July. Tonight should be a good game but will be a challenge. It was always tought for the Comets in New York even in their winning days.

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT COMETS!!

Thank you, cherry. Very Happy

I guess the reason I reacted so strongly was because I've been concerned about Tina's return all season along and precisely for these probable negative effects that we unfortunately were forced to experience. While most fans and otherwise normal people were looking forward Tina's comeback to the lineup with positive anticipation, I was, quite honestly, looking forward to it with dread. Sorry to say that, but my view is that cohesive team play is more important than talent and replacing your budding but impressive team cohesiveness with a supertalented player who isn't half ready to play at the top of her game anyway looked, to me at least, as something that could tank the Comets chances going into the final third of the season.

I said essentially the same thing about Mabika's return to the Sparks, even though LA has been at times painfully short on players and needed all the help they could get. But they had Lisa freaking Leslie, Chamique freaking Holdsclaw, Mabika, and Whitmore (that's a LOT of talent) but in the first half last night they still got their dogs walked by Phoenix because Phoenix has jelled big time.

But for the Comets, who, in my opinion have developed some horrible offensive tendencies in the past four years between Tina and Sheryl, it's critical that they take advantage of the good fortune that has landed on their heads with the good team chemistry that they, at times, have shown to possess on both sides of the floor and not throw it away looking for Tina Thompson to come along and save our season.

Our season doesn't need saved it needs to be sustained.

I need a nap. Shocked

PostPosted: 07/27/05 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Our season doesn't need saved it needs to be sustained.

amen brother! Laughing

from your lips to Van's ears!

I LOVE Tina ... I was among those excited to see her come back. But I never DREAMED he would play her 20 & 32 minutes in the first 2 games back. I was thinking 10 max. MAX.

I just hope he continues easing her in. I still think he shouldn't start her - that crap about "always a starter" is just bull. Tina at 100% should be a starter - THAT I agree with. Tina at 50% trying to get her legs, shot & wind back comes off the bench.

I just think it's too critical to get off to a great start in games. Does anyone think it's coincidental that we've had horrible starts to each of the 3 games that Tina has been back? We've gotten into holes early. Now we got out of the hole against the Mystics, but wouldn't better idea be to not get into one in the first place? Start someone else, get the team going - put Tina in later.

yeesh ... the guy is so freakin' stubborn sometimes.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/27/05 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, 2207!

PostPosted: 07/27/05 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Thanks! I've been on the ESPN message board for quite a while, but thought I'd sign up here as well Smile

I see many people that I don't see over there much anymore (like Jammer), so that's fun!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/27/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It can get a little "nutty" around here, too.

PostPosted: 07/27/05 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comets2207 wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Thanks! I've been on the ESPN message board for quite a while, but thought I'd sign up here as well Smile

I see many people that I don't see over there much anymore (like Jammer), so that's fun!

Thanks and welcome and I agree with your excellent point about the starting of games business. We set the tone against SAC with a hellacious start on defense. Yesterday the Mystics jumped out on us though.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: