RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trade Katie Smith?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/25/05 6:30 am    ::: Trade Katie Smith? Reply Reply with quote

Lynx COO Roger Griffith says it's an option:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/basketball/wnba/minnesota_lynx/12214837.htm

I'm not sure whether the circumstances are that dire, but we need to do something. At some point we need to decide: are we really still trying to win this year, or is it time to look forward to next year and beyond?

Is there really a chance that we'll beat LA or Seattle for the 4th playoff spot? Even if we do, do we really have a chance of competing in the playoffs?

If not, what do we do?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/05 6:41 am    ::: Re: Trade Katie Smith? Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx are only a game from second place. I think it would be premature to deal Katie Smith.

The team ahead of Minnie in the west that they have a losing record against is Sacto, so there's no reason to think they couldn't be competitive.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it a wee bit early to start panicking?

Any potential Katie trade should be done in the offseason. I think it would be too jarring for the Lynx to trade away such a key piece when they're still very much in the playoff hunt.
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/25/05 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Isn't it a wee bit early to start panicking?

definitely no need to panic.

But I wonder if Roger has the sense that (a) we are worse than our record indicates, and (b) we are heading in the wrong direction.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/25/05 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or he's trying to rattle everyone's cages so they maybe start playing well? I can see the idea of trading Katie being disconcerting to more than just Katie.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Or he's trying to rattle everyone's cages so they maybe start playing well?

that may very well be right.

Or it may even be that it was just an emotional comment made out of frustration following an ugly and depressing loss.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/05 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if the Lynx were sellers, who could take on Katie? The salary cap is too tight for any of the contenders to add another max salary without giving a top quality player back.

Who could use her?

The Sparks are completely capped out and don't have prospects to give back anyway.

The Comets are also close to the cap edge and don't have what the Lynx need in return.

The Storm certainly don't have the prospects for Minnie.

The Lib could be a possibility if the Lynx are really high on Loree Moore.

The Mystics could also be buyers, although Charlotte Smith-Taylor is playing well enough that they might not bother.

The Shock are also a possibility, even though they're the same distance from the playoffs that the Lynx are from first place. If they decide to shut down Swin Cash, Smith would be an adequate replacement.

I just don't see a workable deal anywhere here. Confused

PostPosted: 07/25/05 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA is in cap trouble, but hasn't the league given them some sort of exemption again? Remeber, the salary cap rules apply to everyone BUT the Sparks.

LA could send Teasley, then either go get another variance from the league, or just dump some rookie or foreigner.

Or Charlotte could send, oh I don't know... McCarville and Staley.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx could get a great player in the lottery, so they might want to see their draft position before deciding if they need to make a deal. Mo, Seimone or Cappie would all be great picks for them, and would be great teamed with Katie.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't trading Tamika Williams be a more viable option? I mean she's become excess on this team now with the twin towers.

How about to Charlotte for McCarville and a draft pick?

herrade

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

highway robbery! i like it, tho, and trudi is just crazy enough to go for it. anything to get janel out of charlotte!

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Or Charlotte could send, oh I don't know... McCarville and Staley.

I was thinking a contender making a move for the stretch run.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Wouldn't trading Tamika Williams be a more viable option? I mean she's become excess on this team now with the twin towers.

I would send Tamika Williams to Charlotte for McCarville and a draft pick in about two seconds, if Lacey & co. would actually make that trade. I doubt Lacey would. though you never know with her. Williams is as good now as she's going to get.

Isn't Staley retiring after this year?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/25/05 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Face it, the Lynx will never get fair value for Katie. Their chance was last year when they didn't want to trade her for Whalen (and I wouldn't have either).
Right now, she's expensive for just about everyone. Sac would be the best fit for her and they are a legit contender, but all they can send in return is prospects and/or post players, something the Lynx don't really need.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
How about [TW] to Charlotte for McCarville and a draft pick?

i would even be willing to forgo the draft pick...

I agree that Tamika is a much more viable trade candidate than Katie. Maybe Svet is on the block too.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You cna't get fair value for Katie Smith, and I simply can't imagine a team with her on it trading her and being better for it. It's like trading Swoopes -- you just don't do it.

Williams and Svet would probably be on the block, but I don't think either one of them are going to make a big enough difference to make the team improve much. Whose going to give up a point guard better than Harrower for Tamika Williams? I wouldn't.

I am pretty much left with Ohlde and Hayden being the only players you can probably trade to be worth your while if you are Minnesota. Williams is a good power forward and can take back the starting spot if one of the others goes.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
You cna't get fair value for Katie Smith, and I simply can't imagine a team with her on it trading her and being better for it. It's like trading Swoopes -- you just don't do it.

Williams and Svet would probably be on the block, but I don't think either one of them are going to make a big enough difference to make the team improve much. Whose going to give up a point guard better than Harrower for Tamika Williams? I wouldn't.

I am pretty much left with Ohlde and Hayden being the only players you can probably trade to be worth your while if you are Minnesota. Williams is a good power forward and can take back the starting spot if one of the others goes.

Ohlde and Hayden are the team's future. Neither should be traded under any circumstances I can imagine. Trading one of them is what Agler would have done.

The Lynx need a healthy, motivated, energetic Katie, or a player of equivalent value, and a backcourt capable of scoring without her if need be. I'm not sure any trade this season could accomplish that. A high draft pick (say, Cappie) might.

If Katie comes back to the Lynx next year, and I think she will, she should be healthier, more aggressive and better (unless she gets hurt again, or loses the will to play aggressively).

I'm inclined to regard Roger Griffith's remark as a product of frustration or an attempt at motivation, rather than a serious sign of an inclination to trade The Franchise.

As for trading Tamika and/or Svet, let's see what the Lynx might get in return.

sambista

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

oh, no, no, no . . . uh-uh . . . nyet. don't be trying to lose our one true point guard so we can have an ego battle of the twos - one of whom doesn't even know anymore what position she plays.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

oh, no, no, no . . . uh-uh . . . nyet. don't be trying to lose our one true point guard so we can have an ego battle of the twos - one of whom doesn't even know anymore what position she plays.

i could see the mystics. might light a fire under beard, if in fact her poor shooting is not because of her recovery.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best news in the story was this...

Quote:
The Lynx signed point guard Tynesha Lewis for the remainder of the season. Her second seven-day contract expired before Sunday's game.

Go Tyger!

---

Griffith didn't say he was actively looking to trade Smith, only that he would listen to offers. Given the W's history of deadline day blockbusters, I wouldn't expect Smith to be anywhere but Minnie the rest of this season.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I just don't see a workable deal anywhere here. Confused

Just for kicks, how about Connecticut? Brooke Wyckoff and either Le'Coe Willingham or Jen D/Jamie Carey?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
pilight wrote:

i could see the mystics. might light a fire under beard, if in fact her poor shooting is not because of her recovery.

How many 2s can we have, BTW?
Also, I think FFO is trying to trade Erin Thorn. No other reason for playing her that much, not even the road trip because we played her against Seattle.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Ohlde and Hayden are the team's future. Neither should be traded under any circumstances I can imagine. Trading one of them is what Agler would have done."

That may be, but can't see them making any other trade that is going to help them much.

IMO, the idea of getting McCarville and a draft pick for Tamika Williams is laughable.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Just for kicks, how about Connecticut? Brooke Wyckoff and either Le'Coe Willingham or Jen D/Jamie Carey?

I don't see the sun sitting Douglas or Sales for Smith.

PostPosted: 07/25/05 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They'd be dumb to trade either Hayden or Ohlde. Hayden has potential superstar written all over her, she just needs to drop a few pounds, and learn how to stay out of foul trouble and she'll be one of the best post players in the west. Ohlde is also a great player who will continue to improve. I'd see who is interested in the 2 UCONN grads. Williams is a good player, but I don't think that she will get much better as time goes one. Abrosimova's numbers have steadily dropped over her 5 seasons(not counting last year when she came off the bench.) She also has some issues with TO's, but I bet they could get a solid player for her, she is a good player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: