RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A question for Comets fans...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/23/05 11:37 pm    ::: A question for Comets fans... Reply Reply with quote

Kind of a two part thingy...

Is there anyone here who thought that, after the Comets sharp play against SAC, and given the news that Tina was ready to suit up, that a) we would see Van pull his starter, Raz, and immediately start Tina first game and play her 32 minutes against the Sparks in her second game, and, in the process, take both Raz and Tari, who both played brilliantly against the Monarchs, down to 9 combined minutes of playing time against Washington and 16 combined minutes against the Sparks?

And b) without limiting yourselves to the laughable specifics I've put forth, tell me if you thought that, in general, this course of action was the wise choice for the team to implement.

Because I'm just really ready to pack it in as a Comets fan. My feelings regarding the above questions are probably too vitriolic at this point. I almost can't think of both taking the time and effort to clearly articulate such passionately held opinions and ALSO be expected to control the impulse to pound ALL CAPS curse words or even take my ever loving keyboard and just crash it against the effen wall here.

I'm gonna blow. It's just so quiet around here in terms of the Comets faithful and I'm wondering what my fellow buds are thinking about this. Maybe people can talk the jammer off the ceiling before I come down and make a fool out of myself with some emotional rant that crosses over every line there is to cross.

On a related note. It's too too dead here in terms of Comets fans talking these issues out. ESPN too. What's up with that?

What a difference from the old days.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not at all surprised that Van started TT and has been playing her a bunch of minutes. I was so hoping she would decide to sit out the whole year to spare us all this.

As for whether I think it's a wise choice, perhaps you missed several months of me trying to tell the Cometheads that TT wasn't going to be anywhere near her old self this season. All I got back was "she's in great shape" and "she didn't gain much weight" and "she's different from every other pregnant woman that's tried to come back". Denial is hot and heavy in H-Town.

Van really ought to know better. He played SS very sparingly when she returned in 1997. Then, as now, The Comets were in second place when the star came back.

Even Van should be able to see that TT isn't ready to play at her highest capacity. If we miss the playoffs because he's riding her 30+ minutes a game, it should be the end of him.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I am not at all surprised that Van started TT and has been playing her a bunch of minutes. I was so hoping she would decide to sit out the whole year to spare us all this.

As for whether I think it's a wise choice, perhaps you missed several months of me trying to tell the Cometheads that TT wasn't going to be anywhere near her old self this season. All I got back was "she's in great shape" and "she didn't gain much weight" and "she's different from every other pregnant woman that's tried to come back". Denial is hot and heavy in H-Town.

Van really ought to know better. He played SS very sparingly when she returned in 1997. Then, as now, The Comets were in second place when the star came back.

Even Van should be able to see that TT isn't ready to play at her highest capacity. If we miss the playoffs because he's riding her 30+ minutes a game, it should be the end of him.

Thanks, pilight. Thought maybe it was just me.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeez I've got to start reading the Chron again! FReak it all. Why didn't someone post this regarding the Mystics loss?

Swoopes pointed to Thompson's return as the biggest reason the Comets sputtered and wheezed their way through Thursday's game against Washington.

Not that Swoopes was blaming Thompson — or Chancellor for starting her even though the five-time All-Star had not played in almost a year. Swoopes was pointing out that while Thompson's return certainly made a big splash, the ripples from that splash were felt up and down the lineup in terms of playing time and shot distribution.

Take, for example, Kristen Rasmussen. The rugged 6-2 forward went from averaging 24 minutes as a starter to playing only three minutes off the bench Thursday.

"I don't really think (the players) knew what to expect," said Swoopes, who scored 14 points on 6-of-15 shooting. "We looked very unorganized and very confused at times instead of just going out and playing basketball. It's one thing for me to say that to my teammates — 'We don't change anything. We continue to play the way we've been playing.' But I can only say that so many times.

HOLY SHIT!

Not only am I not alone, MY QUEEN is all over the situation! Jeez!

I wish I were in Houston covering the Comets for someone because THIS is now some INTERESTING shit. There seems to be some confusion about the course the Comets should be taking in H-Town. If this is the way they felt after losing to the Mystics, you can imagine what they're thinking of this chemistry stuff after today's fiasco.

That is some comfort. Maybe there's hope.

I do kind of doubt it though.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3277343

Note to Swoopes, if you're listening. If you change the ingredients, you change the chemistry. It's not going to work and you can't blame the other players like they just don't get it because they're not the ones who aren't getting it.

Shocked

PostPosted: 07/24/05 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More from the Chron. This Michael Murphy cat is on it. I let him know that.

"Even with the added boost of having former All-Star Tina Thompson back in the lineup for the second straight game, the Comets' offense usually degenerated into a series of one-on-one confrontations, without even a thought of passing to open teammates."

That's about the size of it. (And it looked very familiar and that's a whole different subject. Has Tina and Sheryl EVER had any real offensive chemistry between them besides the damn pick and roll? We won't even go there.)

"When we scored nine points in the first 11 minutes, it was because we weren't sharing the ball," Chancellor said. "If we don't share the ball any better than we're sharing the ball right now, this is going to be a long summer."

That man has a lot of nerve. Mad

He's lost his mind. He's going to complain about the play on the floor? Mad Mad Mad

PostPosted: 07/24/05 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OKAY!

From the Chron. This is the shit I'm talking about and now I know why it pisses me off. Because I've seen it before with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Bill Cowher.

But Chancellor gave no thought to easing Thompson back into action by bringing her off the bench.

"With us, it's always been that when you come back, if you've been a starter you're a starter," he said.

Okay I'm wrapping this horseshit up now if you're as sick of this thread as I am. Bear with me for a moment longer. I'm not researching this it's from memory so don't hold me to the facts.

Three years ago the Steelers went into the playoffs with the NFL's number 1 rushing offense. Amos Zerowe (I told you I wasn't researching it) had stepped in mid season for Jerome Bettis and had found a big time groove and was leading a backfield that was the NFL's most productive.

PLayoffs came. Bettis was ready to go. Cowher pulls Amos for Bettis. Bettis has NOTHING. Steelers lose. End of season.

It was also the end of one of Bill Cowher's special little working class rules:

If you're a starter, you can't lose your job because of an injury.

That's the way I think it went. And boy do I HATE shit like that. HATE IT!

You can see he ammended that position this past season and when Tommy Maddox got well NOBODY was taking Ben Rothlisburger's job. Huh?

So Van has the same rule... but guess what? He extends the job security coverage not just to include those players who are out due to injury, but maternity as well.

Come on. Tina chose to be a mom this year. God Bless her I love her and am happy for her. But this is something seperate from that. Raz and Tari chose to PLAY BALL.

This coach is a dinosaur. Get him out of there. It's not about being nice to Tina regarding basketball. Her health and the health of her child, that's important.

But the Comets season is, in its own right, ALSO IMPORTANT, and is a seperate thing entirely from Tina's situation and moves taken to facilitate its success should be distinct from Tina's situation entirely with the sole motivation being to improve the team's chances of winning.

Let Tina be the one to worry about working her way back into the starting line-up.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi, frst time poster but a long time reader. Jammer you are somewhat right about TT's return. However, yesterday her defense on LL was better than both RAZ and Tari. Tari should have been in there for Snow to guard Whitmore.

I was one that felt Tina should come in off the bench to get reacquintated with the team. I actually think TT and Swoopes can and have played well together in the past. So I do think they can co-exist on the offensive end. Tina is rusty right now. I just don't want them to fall into pattern of nobody but TT and SS can shoot. Everybody needs to touch that rock.

Right now the other players are not the only one's making adjustments. Swoopes is too. She is really trying get TT more touches also. I would like to see her to continue on offense as if she is the only true constant offensive presence. Be it with her assist making or going to the basket.

Tina has said she should be the one to mesh in with the other players. I think the only person that really needs convincing is Van. I looked at their record since the all-star break. They are only 2-4. Its not just TT's presence. I believe they became a little laxed after going on that winning streak. They just need to get back on track or they will be staying at home.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/24/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My take...

First, and it is a difficult thing for me to say, but Tina should have to earn her starting position back from Raz. She should in no way be playing over 20 minutes a game. Coming back from an absence on a professional sports team is far different from other jobs. It is a process and in this case, a process of fitting in to what has been working, and working pretty well for two months.

Second, Tina and Sheryl play very well together...but, there are a host of other players that have proven themselves effective in the Comets success this season, compared to the last four years. It is not the SS & TT show this year...thank you so much, Tom Cross.

Someone tell me whether or not they agree with this: The Comets played like a team playing their second "preseason" game yesterday. They were uncertain about everything they were doing...most of their scoring was by accident...and they are lacking desparately on the offensive end of the floor...just like a bunch of new players getting used to each other.

Lastly, the team that has appeared in Toyota Center for the last two games is not the same team that won against the Monarchs. I am sorry to see that team pack it up and leave town...but, I fear it's days are over. Regarding the losses since the ASG, the losses against NY and Conn are not ones to be ashamed of...those were the better teams that day and the games were hotly contested. Now these last two, they expose the primary problem many have noted for the last two or three years...the Comets need a new head coach.

Van is exposing the tender underbelly of the Big Red Machine...and it is him. I even screamed out during the second half when the Comets were down 15 or so, that he should be fired on the spot...right there in the middle of the game. He had no game plan, again, and it was ridiculous to watch a team working like mad on defense, not have a clue what to do on offense to reap the reward for their hard work.

Othere might have a better take, but that is mine...and most frustrating it is indeed. Now Comets fans might understand why I wear a Storm cap from time to time.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/24/05 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
My take...

Second, Tina and Sheryl play very well together...

4ever_bball_fan, there are, of course, two sides of the floor. On the one side, Tina and Sheryl will always play well together. They're both sterling defenders. But on the other side... I don't believe they've ever played the kind of basketball I think of as great winning smart offensive ball. Not since Cooper left. They just don't approach the game that way. It's either, "I'm going to do some one on one thing and shoot or maybe pass to someone... or YOU will do the same. We'll take turns."

With offensive players as great as Swoopes and Tina, that can very often come together and carry them over many teams on many nights. But it hasn't ever been the level of team basketball that we've seen the Comets producing many times this season. Even in the FIRST GAME against the SASS, I said that. I called Houston the Medusa Comets, etc. The other day against the Monarchs, watching Swoopes throw the ball to Sancho and her touch passing the ball down low to Tari for an easy bucket... I thought WOW is that a change from the way things have been the last 4 seasons. Swoopes can pass the ball and OTHER Comets players can run games and make key passes, etc.

This, honestly, has been my little not so secret nightmare scenario all season long. I can't go back and dig up the posts but I was expressing here back in early June my concerns that Tina's return would eff up the Comets team chemistry this year.

Quote:
Someone tell me whether or not they agree with this: The Comets played like a team playing their second "preseason" game yesterday. They were uncertain about everything they were doing...most of their scoring was by accident...and they are lacking desparately on the offensive end of the floor...just like a bunch of new players getting used to each other.

Absolutely agree with that. Look. My opinion. The old adage: Five less talented players playing TOGETHER will beat five super talented players not playing together every time. I've seen it many times in my life starting, most painfully, in high school. 5 somewhat sorry short dudes from some stupid farm high school beating super talented teams of slam dunking city superstars. Just like the movie Hoosiers. Happened to Aliquippa just about every post season.

Quote:
Lastly, the team that has appeared in Toyota Center for the last two games is not the same team that won against the Monarchs. I am sorry to see that team pack it up and leave town...but, I fear it's days are over.

Well that's the thing. It IS over. Tina's not going anywhere. (Sheryl played in lots of games in 1997. Sparingly. But she DIDN'T PLAY ONE MINUTE in the finals!) Whatever boogers I see in the offense of Sheryl and Tina together... I'm going to be seeing for the rest of the year IN PLACE of the Celtics-like team offense that this team was STARTING to establish for itself. That's over. And THAT is why Van Chancellor is a bad coach.

Imagine some RULE he has in place that is actually detrimental to the team's chances of winning but is there only as some arcaic principle from his notion of fairness. Hey it's NOT FAIR to the players who worked and sweated to get the team this far and it's not fair to Comets fans.

Quote:
Regarding the losses since the ASG, the losses against NY and Conn are not ones to be ashamed of...those were the better teams that day and the games were hotly contested.

ABSOLUTELY! The Connecticut game was a one point game in the final minute, on the road, and is actually an indicator of how far this team has come. It's not a strike against them it's the opposite. And NY just blew out SAC. Maybe the Comets took them a little lightly, who knows. But they played well enough to win, if my memory serves me, they just faltered at the very end which is pretty much a problem with many teams this season.

Quote:
Van is exposing the tender underbelly of the Big Red Machine...and it is him. I even screamed out during the second half when the Comets were down 15 or so, that he should be fired on the spot...right there in the middle of the game. He had no game plan, again, and it was ridiculous to watch a team working like mad on defense, not have a clue what to do on offense to reap the reward for their hard work.

Amen. The worst thing is that it's not likely to change. The only good news is that this, for once, is a problem that those on the team are TRULY cognizant of. It was all over the paper, with quotes from Swoopes, after Tina's very first game. Sheryl going after Lisa, that's frustration. I know my girl's brain. People, I knew about the Swoopes/Cooper problem before I EVER EVEN HEARD OR READ OF IT just from watching her on TV the first game that year against the Liberty and I picked that vibe up in the first mintues of that game. Swoopes's psyche is my field of expertise and I'm tellin you THAT level of frustration in her does not come from a game situation it comes ONLY from some displeasure within the Royal cranium due to a situation on her own team.

That's what we have here, folks. We've got ourselves a situation. Wink

Her Majesty was happy and proud and on her way to a record third MVP just a week ago. Now there's this. She sees it and you better believe someone is hearing about it.

At least that's the hope I'm clinging to.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 07/24/05 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/24/05 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Amen. The worst thing is that it's not likely to change. The only good news is that this, for once, is a problem that those on the team are TRULY cognizant of. It was all over the paper, with quotes from Swoopes, after Tina's very first game. Sheryl going after Lisa, that's frustration. I know my girl's brain. People, I knew about the Swoopes/Cooper problem before I EVER EVEN HEARD OR READ OF IT just from watching her on TV the first game that year against the Liberty and I picked that vibe up in the first mintues of that game. Swoopes's psyche is my field of expertise and I'm tellin you THAT level of frustration in her does not come from a game situation it comes ONLY from some displeasure within the Royal cranium due to a situation on her own team.

That's what we have here, folks. We've got ourselves a situation. Wink

Her Majesty was happy and proud and on her way to a record third MVP just a week ago. Now there's this. She sees it and you better believe someone is hearing about it.

At least that's the hope I'm clinging to.

But if Swoopes is ALSO trying to ram this shit down the throats of the rest of her teammates not named Sheryl or Tina, then it IS a hopeless situation. And there is some evidence of that in her own words.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is truth to what Sheryl is saying though. I've thought the same thing all along. Tina's return would effect the whole entire team, because everyone is going to be tentative to shoot.

Tina was the leading scorer last year, and they might try a little too hard to pass the ball to Tina, and thats what has happened.

HtownsFinest

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Sheryl said, the didnt know what to expect, and there is much confusion out on the floor.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The offense has never been a strong point this season, but the confusion out there in the last two games is ridiculous. Goody seemed to be the only one that didn't know what was going on in the past, but boy can she work out a busted up play.

I noticed immediately that the Comets have gone back to that stupid double screen play at the free throw line that puts Tina and Snow at the top of the paint. That is fine to make room for the shooter, but it is whiz-poor if somebody needs to be under the basket rebounding. I didn't like that play last year and will never like it.

What happened to all this offensive insight and creativity that Van was supposed to have picked up while calling the NBA games last season? Can you tell I am hacked off about the Comets' offense?

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whenever I saw her interviewed, Tina seemed a little reluctant to get back to the court, too quickly......kinda pacing herself.....

I was wondering if the Comets organization rushed her back, because, knowing she`s such a fan favorite, it would sell tickets.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sheryl played in lots of games in 1997. Sparingly. But she DIDN'T PLAY ONE MINUTE in the finals!

She played nine regular season games in 1997. She played five unremarkable minutes in the finals.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigsportsbabe, I think TT was reluctant because of the reason that she stated. Her legs were heavy. Definitely something that will affect her shooting. She also saw how good the team was playing and did not won't to mess with chemistry. She also knew they would expect her to be her old. She alluded to that. Which we all can clearly see she is not, yet.

I think the Comet's organization was happy she return to the game not for tickets; but like us fans and the media thought, it could add nothing but depth to the team. I believe nobody anticipated TT starting and therein really lies the problem. She should have eased back into the flow of the game and allowed to mesh with the team. Before the first game, according to some, she had never even practiced with the starting unit. It was like adding a total new person to the scheme.

DUMB COACHING BY VAN. JUST MY OPINION!!

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/24/05 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
Sheryl played in lots of games in 1997. Sparingly. But she DIDN'T PLAY ONE MINUTE in the finals!

She played nine regular season games in 1997. She played five unremarkable minutes in the finals.

Well nine of 28 is a what I meant by a lot. lol! And God I don't know why I remember her not playing a minute in the final but I see she's in a box score. I remember an article on her ex-husband being completely irate that she didn't play in the final. Hmmmm.

Nevertheless, he sure didn't sacrifice team chemistry at that time, was my point.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HtownsFinest wrote:
I think there is truth to what Sheryl is saying though. I've thought the same thing all along. Tina's return would effect the whole entire team, because everyone is going to be tentative to shoot.

Tina was the leading scorer last year, and they might try a little too hard to pass the ball to Tina, and thats what has happened.

The thing is, you don't have to score a lot of points to win a championship. You have to shut down the opposition and team chemistry begins, in my opinion, on the defensive side. Watch the scoreless portion of the SAC game. It's a defensive clinic, as someone here said. The intensity, the rotation. The Comets played like they were a single organism. Look at Raz's play on D. Walker.

That's what you lost. Tina did do some great things against Leslie yesterday. But that doesn't compare to the team defense that the Comets had established. In it's total effect on the game, Tina's play was pedestrian in comparison to that.

And the offense is just a total mess. Someone says that the offense hasn't been the strong suit all season. Well statstically speaking that looks to be the case. But when the Comets have it together, and it's not easy with the way Van shuffles these players in together, but when they DO have it together, they play such a oppressive style of ball that the games are kind of weird anyway. It's like they come out and put a mojo on other teams with a great defense and then that sparks a real nice unpredictable offense.

So my point is that you can't look at the team and judge them in comparison to a team like the Sun, out in front of the league with a high-power offense or the Monarchs with the number one defense, etc.

I contend that the Comets were establishing themselves as a squad that could compete with those teams, regardless of what their stats look like. They were developing an offense that at times was as unstoppable as anyone's.

And look. They played the Sun to being within a point in the final minute and handily beat the Monarchs.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was with you until you said that about the great defensive team the Comets have been this year. Wrong!! The post defense is one of the key problems of the Comets. Snow gets pushed off the block or fails to show on the pic and roll. Choosing to stay instead in the paint. Sancho is very athletic and shows a lot of hustle but loses her man often. Tari is a pretty good defensive presence because she will bang; but she too gets beat on the base line.

I like Raz and she showed great promise but the fact is her defense is not all that good and she can't rebound. She is usually hitting the floor. Nobody was checking Demya. She really got off against the Comets.

I like my team and they played great defense against the Monarchs. (Tari, Swoopes, Sancho) were a force pressing their opponent. But really Jammer you are going overboard with how great the Comets have been. They have been as good as any team in the league this season. The real truth of the matter is all the teams are suspect and just about any team can win on any given night.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 07/24/05 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The real truth of the matter is all the teams are suspect and just about any team can win on any given night.

So true, right now, the Libs are probably the best team in the league, but I doubt it will last. Seems like every team has had small streaks where they are arguably the best in the league, Washington has been playing some good ball too, Conn is by far the most consistent team this year.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/24/05 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
I was with you until you said that about the great defensive team the Comets have been this year. Wrong!! The post defense is one of the key problems of the Comets. Snow gets pushed off the block or fails to show on the pic and roll. Choosing to stay instead in the paint. Sancho is very athletic and shows a lot of hustle but loses her man often. Tari is a pretty good defensive presence because she will bang; but she too gets beat on the base line.

I like Raz and she showed great promise but the fact is her defense is not all that good and she can't rebound. She is usually hitting the floor. Nobody was checking Demya. She really got off against the Comets.

I like my team and they played great defense against the Monarchs. (Tari, Swoopes, Sancho) were a force pressing their opponent. But really Jammer you are going overboard with how great the Comets have been. They have been as good as any team in the league this season. The real truth of the matter is all the teams are suspect and just about any team can win on any given night.

cherrystreet, the WNBA season is 30 something games long. (pilight knows the exact figure. Wink) For almost every team, each short wildly scheduled season is like one long staging area to develop a cohesive and productive offense and defense. That's really the way I look at it. I don't really put much stock in how a team plays when things fall apart because things seem to fall apart for most teams left and right and to varying degrees all season long.

The exceptions are the Comets two seasons, the Sparks maybe a couple of seasons, the Shock one year, and now MAYBE the Sun. Right or wrong that's the way I look at it.

So the issue of consistancy aside, I've SEEN the Comets playing some of the best defense I've ever seen them play this year and that includes in the post. Raz shut Walker down. But Van took her out and put Tari in and Tari was playing so well offensively that he basically ran with Tari and Sancho the rest of that game. Raz only played 6 minutes in that game and Walker's only points scored in that time were a pair of free throws. So Dmya ends up having a pretty good game. It was a trade off. No one else on that team had a good game and hey... Yo Griffith scored 6 points. That's some pretty good post defense.

Quote:

I'm sorry. Raz's defense is better than good it's tremendous. Watch her six minutes against the Monarchs. Dmya is her assignment. Watch it and come back and tell me her defense isn't all that good. Forget stats and just use your eyes. Raz is a classic player who does the things that don't end up in a box score. Some of those are things like helping to set a tone on defense. Intensity was the tone she helped set against the Monarchs. That's priceless. I can't tell you how high I am on Raz but like I said... if you subscribe to the staging area theory I put forth in the first paragraph then you're already going to accept the fact that the good and potentially great play will very often be overshadowed by the stinky and disorganized play.

Quote:
But really Jammer you are going overboard with how great the Comets have been. They have been as good as any team in the league this season. The real truth of the matter is all the teams are suspect and just about any team can win on any given night.

Well I agree with your last statement but that's the context we play in and I discuss that in my first paragraph.

As far as me going overboard about how great the Comets have been... I don't agree. The Comets HAVE the makings of a championship THIS season. When they've been good they've been amazingly good. So I guess what I'm really discussing when I talk about how good the Comets are is how they play when they have it together and why they have it together at those times and, unfortunately, exactly why they no longer have it together now.

That's not the same issue as why they didn't have it together against LA a month ago or why they got beat by SAC and Seattle in June. That was then this is now. As a serious fan I'm trying to isolate instances of great play and figure out why it happened and why it's not happening now and I think I'm pretty much balls on, thank you very much.

Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/24/05 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
And God I don't know why I remember her not playing a minute in the final but I see she's in a box score.

As you can tell from the box, she had very little impact. Watching the game, you might not have noticed her at all.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
And God I don't know why I remember her not playing a minute in the final but I see she's in a box score.

As you can tell from the box, she had very little impact. Watching the game, you might not have noticed her at all.

Well the story there is ethat a) she wasn't ready, which she wasn't, that much I DO remember, and b) Van, at that time, knew the difference between a great player coming off a baby and some pretty good players who'd been playing basketball as a unit all season long.

It's absurd, really.

PostPosted: 07/24/05 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
My take...

First, and it is a difficult thing for me to say, but Tina should have to earn her starting position back from Raz. She should in no way be playing over 20 minutes a game. Coming back from an absence on a professional sports team is far different from other jobs.

Fascinating thoughts on the Comets Jammer, and everyone else... I very much agree with the above thoughts. Didn't think about it that way, but it sure makes sense. I also wonder about what you were saying, Jammer, about what Swoopes has now publicly said about Tina having so much playing time really screwing their game against Washington. Hmmmm.

Though even Tina thought she might have been played too long (or maybe too early?), Sheryl saying that has to affect their relationship and/or the team's chemistry/feelings. Wow. That's a pretty big deal to come out and say something like that, even though it might be true... could have big consequences.

HtownsFinest

PostPosted: 07/24/05 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gumption72 wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:
My take...

First, and it is a difficult thing for me to say, but Tina should have to earn her starting position back from Raz. She should in no way be playing over 20 minutes a game. Coming back from an absence on a professional sports team is far different from other jobs.

Fascinating thoughts on the Comets Jammer, and everyone else... I very much agree with the above thoughts. Didn't think about it that way, but it sure makes sense. I also wonder about what you were saying, Jammer, about what Swoopes has now publicly said about Tina having so much playing time really screwing their game against Washington. Hmmmm.

Though even Tina thought she might have been played too long (or maybe too early?), Sheryl saying that has to affect their relationship and/or the team's chemistry/feelings. Wow. That's a pretty big deal to come out and say something like that, even though it might be true... could have big consequences.
Did Sheryl actually come out and say Tina played too many minutes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: