RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA in Tulsa? (Again?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 07/17/09 6:41 pm    ::: WNBA in Tulsa? (Again?) Reply Reply with quote

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=226&articleid=20090717_226_0_AWNBAf704187

Quote:
A WNBA franchise might be coming to Tulsa

By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor

Published: 7/17/2009 6:02 PM
Last Modified: 7/17/2009 6:35 PM

A group of investors from Oklahoma City and Tulsa are expected to have a press conference Wednesday announcing an effort to bring a team from the Women’s National Basketball Association to Tulsa, according to a source familiar with the situation.

WNBA commissioner Donna Orender is expected to attend a press conference that will reveal investors and the remaining issues they face in bringing a team to Tulsa, the source said.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 07/17/09 6:49 pm    ::: Re: WNBA in Tulsa? (Again?) Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=226&articleid=20090717_226_0_AWNBAf704187

Quote:
A WNBA franchise might be coming to Tulsa

By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor

Published: 7/17/2009 6:02 PM
Last Modified: 7/17/2009 6:35 PM

A group of investors from Oklahoma City and Tulsa are expected to have a press conference Wednesday announcing an effort to bring a team from the Women’s National Basketball Association to Tulsa, according to a source familiar with the situation.

WNBA commissioner Donna Orender is expected to attend a press conference that will reveal investors and the remaining issues they face in bringing a team to Tulsa, the source said.

Shocked No Comets, but a team in TULSA! Shocked

who would've thought.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/17/09 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused here.

The press conference is intended to announce the "effort" to bring a franchise there? What exactly does "effort" mean? Are they setting up a franchise or not? Shocked Confused

If so, then I hope it'll be a relocation not an expansion. Detroit is in serious crisis, and may benefit from this.

PostPosted: 07/17/09 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any insiders? How likely is this to go down?
scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/17/09 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

doubt we'll be seeing any involvement by clay bennett and his pack of homophobes.

PostPosted: 07/17/09 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who has a press conference to talk about their business "issues"? Odd.

apocolocyntosis

PostPosted: 07/18/09 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
doubt we'll be seeing any involvement by clay bennett and his pack of homophobes.

not that anyone would want it! arghh bennett still makes my blood boil. first trying to steal our teams and then "we don't want those types of women"... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ...dumb-butt (that's the worst I can actually allow myself to write, even for charming Sir Moron & his minions haha)

ok, Force10 is wonderful, best wishes to the league & tulsa!

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/18/09 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big XII consistently leads the nation in attendence. I think this is a market worth pursuing. I wish them luck.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

looks like i was wrong:

Cameron, the president and CEO of American Fidelity Assurance Co., is part of an Oklahoma City-based group
that owns the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder.

and does this woman even know wtf she's saying half the time?:

“If the investors choose to bring a franchise to Oklahoma I think it would be absolutely phenomenal,” said ESPN women’s basketball analyst Nancy Lieberman. “Oklahoma is passionate about sports, they are avid sports fans. I think it would be a great partnership. If the (Oklahoma City) Thunder are involved, that’s pretty good franchise right there.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homophobes and WBB DO mix, there is ample evidence of that.

I'd like to see the 11-player roster go away before expansion.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 07/18/09 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused here.

The press conference is intended to announce the "effort" to bring a franchise there? What exactly does "effort" mean? Are they setting up a franchise or not? Shocked Confused

Well you know like back in the day, a city would announce they wanted to bring a W team to town & started w/the drive to get the 5,000 season ticket holders to commit. So if they really have investors in place, the sooner they start this drive to see if the area is interested the better. Then by Nov/Dec things may be in place for the 2010 season.

braveniler58 wrote:
If so, then I hope it'll be a relocation not an expansion. Detroit is in serious crisis, and may benefit from this.

Think I heard on the news last night that Michigan is the first state to have unemployment hit over 15% in don't know how long. (something like that) Very tough times there.

Everyone's focusing on 'expansion' but it could very easily turn out to be a relocation situation. Which I’d prefer too. It's bad enough when a city of fans has to lose a team but also double disruptive to constantly be flipping between “expantion drafts” & then a 'contraction draft" every other yr. It’s just so dang sloppy.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
If so, then I hope it'll be a relocation not an expansion.

Why? I think, like a fan of wnba, that the league will be more interesting if there are more clubs. In this way, there'll be more competitiveness to reach Playoffs and there'll be more games.
Are there any problems i didn't think about?

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/18/09 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

moleman wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

Why? I think, like a fan of wnba, that the league will be more interesting if there are more clubs. In this way, there'll be more competitiveness to reach Playoffs and there'll be more games.

Because there are several teams that could fold. Detroit is the biggest issue here. Rumor out of Indiana is, if they don't win the championship this year, they're folding. Chicago always has such a small attendance, though I don't know if they're in danger of folding or not. Minnesota has been rumored as well.

I would prefer a relocation over one folding and another expansion.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Minnesota, that is all it is-a rumor. Minnesota will not fold unless the TimberWolves fold. What you are hearing are people expecting the Lynx to fold because of average attendance and the non playoff factor. But the owner has committed to both the Wolves and the Lynx for the long haul.

moleman

PostPosted: 07/18/09 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:

Because there are several teams that could fold. Detroit is the biggest issue here. Rumor out of Indiana is, if they don't win the championship this year, they're folding. Chicago always has such a small attendance, though I don't know if they're in danger of folding or not. Minnesota has been rumored as well.

When you talked about Detroit (in the previous post) i supposed you're thinking about money problems of many clubs.
If that's the situation, i agree with your opinion...but, maybe, the league has to understand if expansion could bring more money in the wnba (do you think is hard it happens?)

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/18/09 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

moleman wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

When you talked about Detroit (in the previous post) i supposed you're thinking about money problems of many clubs.
If that's the situation, i agree with your opinion...but, maybe, the league has to understand if expansion could bring more money in the wnba (do you think is hard it happens?)

It doesn't make a single difference if you have a new expansion, but another team folds. We've already lost Houston, who won the WNBA's first four championships. I don't want to also lose Detroit, and another three WNBA championships. I don't like Detroit, but I want them to survive. I would prefer them relocate to Tulsa than fold and a new franchise be formed.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:

It doesn't make a single difference if you have a new expansion, but another team folds. We've already lost Houston, who won the WNBA's first four championships. I don't want to also lose Detroit, and another three WNBA championships. I don't like Detroit, but I want them to survive. I would prefer them relocate to Tulsa than fold and a new franchise be formed.

Ok, now i understand. And i agree with you 100%

scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/18/09 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Homophobes and WBB DO mix, there is ample evidence of that.

have you forgotten that clayclay's pal came right out publicly and announced that 'we don't want *those* kind of women...'? that's what i'm talking about; not the negative recruiting type. this guy just flat out said 'those women' and i don't think it takes a lot of brain power to figure out what he meant.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

moleman wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

because the more teams you add, the more you dilute the talent pool. the current talent pool is not deep enough that it can stand diluting.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I Still dont understand why this post says...Tulsa (AGAIN) like the W has already had a team in Oklahoma...??? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
moleman wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:

because the more teams you add, the more you dilute the talent pool. the current talent pool is not deep enough that it can stand diluting.

That's an overrated argument.

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think that there would probably be enough talent for a 14 team league.

Fifteen would definitely be too many, but 14 is good, I believe.

Think about last season. Who was untalented? The Mystics, basically.

Hell, the Dream were talented, they just had a moronic coach.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
I also think that there would probably be enough talent for a 14 team league.

Fifteen would definitely be too many, but 14 is good, I believe.

Think about last season. Who was untalented? The Mystics, basically.

Hell, the Dream were talented, they just had a moronic coach.

I think the WNBA can honestly be good with 16 teams. It's just sometimes the GMs are dumb, thus keeping players like Wyckoff, Robinson and Spencer around...

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
I think the WNBA can honestly be good with 16 teams. It's just sometimes the GMs are dumb, thus keeping players like Wyckoff, Robinson and Spencer around...

That's the main issue--individual GMs. Some teams look as though they can support 12 or more players while others look like they can only support six. That's not going to change through expansion, especially if teams can protect more than two players. The only way to see if the league truly could support more than 14 teams is by redistributing the talent. This way, LA doesn't have five Beijing Olympians while NY has at least one.

Mathies to LA 2013
FS02

PostPosted: 07/18/09 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think every team needs 5 or 6 stars. 3 will suffice. If you fill in the rest of the roster intelligently, and have a good coaching staff, you've got a good team. So yeah, I think the current pool could support at least 14-16 teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: