Board Junkies Forums

Catchings MVP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:
Taj is the best player on the best team.

Is she? Are you sure? I would think that losing Whalen or Sales would be more damaging to the Sun than losing TMF.

I agree.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Are you sure? I would think that losing Whalen or Sales would be more damaging to the Sun than losing TMF.

I'm not at all sure. In terms of numbers, Taj is best overall. Sales has 1 ppg more of scoring. Taj has lots more rebounds and blocks, and a better FG%. They are about even in other categories.

As to who would be the most damaging loss... I can't answer a counterfactual like that. I'll leave it to the Sun fans.

But as I said in the subsequent post... this whole thing does present a problem. When someone says, "who's MVP right now?" the first thing I do is look at the Sun, since they're the best team. And look for the best player. But there are two, or possibly three players who can make a case. So it's a tough call.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the thing; Taj is somewhat replacable due to the presence of Asjha Jones, and to an extent, Le'Coe.

Nykesha and Lindsay bring things to the table that no one else on the team can do, in terms of scoring, defense, floor leadership, and threat to the opposition.

It is the sum of the pieces that makes the team effective though; I would not consider any of the three to be a season long viable candidate for MVP.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole "best player on best team" is really about who's having the best year on the best team, or who's having a much better than expected year on the best team. Taj may be having the best season of the Sun players, that doesn't necessarily make her the best player or even the most valuable player on the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: