RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Catchings MVP?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/21/05 5:32 am    ::: Catchings MVP? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050721/SPORTS05/507210424/1004/SPORTS

At first glance, it might seem implausible for Catchings to challenge for MVP honors in a season in which she has career lows in field goal percentage (.351) and scoring (15.3). But Catchings has averaged 19.4 points over the past five games. And her strengths are not confined to scoring.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Tamika. Belated Happy Birthday Tully! Very Happy

-Tamika Catchings
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/21/05 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think you are too far off, Pilight. Her scoring is down, but no one is putting up as well-rounded numbers this year. Her assists and steals are both very impressive for someone who plays the 3 and 4.

And even though her scoring is down, her team's record is much better, so she is doiong what is needed from her.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/21/05 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i give it to Taj or Swoopes right now. Catchings third. That FG% is just too damn low...

pilight

PostPosted: 07/21/05 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
i give it to Taj or Swoopes right now. Catchings third. That FG% is just too damn low...

Taj is fading. Over the first 12 games she scored 15 or more points 8 times and was in double digits every game. Over the last 8 she's scored 15 or more 0 times and scored 10 or less four times.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

Taj is fading. Over the first 12 games she scored 15 or more points 8 times and was in double digits every game. Over the last 8 she's scored 15 or more 0 times and scored 10 or less four times.

Back problems. Hasn't been practicing all the time to try to get relief.

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

Why are you basing it all on that? Have you looked at her percentage the last 4 or 5 games?

-Tamika Catchings
Alepp03

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be in love with giving the MVP to a player with a sub-40 shooting percentage, but if there was ever to be an exception, I think Catch would have to be it. With the rest of her numbers so strong, and her shooting efficiency increasing, she is a good candidate for MVP. At this point, I think Sheryl has the best combination of strongest case plus good press, not to mention a team that at least to some appears to be overachieving. Taj is All-WNBA caliber, but MVP probably not with her recent play. She is still putting up strong numbers, but not MVP. Too many MVPs in Mohegan to really pick one.

DeMya Walker is a sleeper for some MVP votes.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, you have to consider these points when voting for an MVP:

Stats-people say that stats don't mean much, but you have to have good stats to win MVP

Success of the team-you have to atleast make the playoffs

Consistency-you need to put up good numbers or make an impact in pretty much all but one or 2 games

What you bring to the team-If you are a hard worker, and if you improve over the course of the season, I think it helps.]

PT-the more playing time, the better. But more importantly, did you play a full season.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a fair assumption Barry.
In reality, I think the second half of the season weighs a lot more heavily in the minds of voters than the first half, so the race is well and truly wide open IMO.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
That's a fair assumption Barry.
In reality, I think the second half of the season weighs a lot more heavily in the minds of voters than the first half, so the race is well and truly wide open IMO.

You also need to be a forward or a center or Cynthia Cooper.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ILuvCatch wrote:

Why are you basing it all on that? Have you looked at her percentage the last 4 or 5 games?

i don't know what the number is, but i know it's getting better. But you don't give the MVP out based on the most recent 4-5 games. You give it based on the whole season's performance.

Listen, the season isn't over yet. There are lots of important games left to be played, and the MVP race is still to be won.

Catch is one of the leading candidates, no doubt. I'm just saying that if I had to give it today, I'd give it to one of those other two.

Taj is the best player on the best team. Swoopes plays on a team with a similar record to Indy's; Sheryl is (once again) one of the best couple defenders in the league, and she's a better offensive player than Catch.

Between Catch and Swoopes -- Catch is a better rebounder, but Swoopes is a better shooter and passer. Both are fabulous defenders. Overall, a slight edge to Swoopes this year.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed Luuuc, perhaps one of the more important points made thus far. As a fan, I would think that Sheryl can sustain her play.

A clear issue will be who can turn it up as the season winds down.

If DT continues on at this pace, and then makes a strong push at the end to forge the Mercury into the playoffs somehow, then she could become the frontrunner.

A similar statement could be made about Lauren Jackson.

Holdsclaw could be lucky to battle her standard annual injury now, as she may still have a chance to make a final push for LA to get to the playoffs, and for her to make her mark. I still think that there just isn't enough stats to go around with Mabika, Leslie, Miko, and Claw.

Again, in terms of factors such as stats, team success, and press, I think Sheryl is the frontrunner at this point, but there is just too much time left to indicate a clear winner. Let's see who makes the playoffs.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here are the other efficiency ratings for some top candidates...

ACC Efficiency Formula:

Jackson — 1.11
Holdsclaw — 1.02
Swoopes — 1.01
McWilliams — 0.99
Catchings — 0.98

Prouty Rating:

McWilliams — 0.471
Swoopes — 0.469
Catchings — 0.455
Jackson — 0.453
Holdsclaw — 0.439

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings is the only player in the Top 10 in scoring, rebounding and assists for the league. Her team, after not making the playoffs is a strong 2nd place contender.

I think those overshadow her FG Pct easily. I mean, why isn't Snow or Margo a candidate if we're going to put so much emphasis on FG Pct?

How many of those missed shots are shot clock bailouts when no one else can get the shot off?

To dismiss her because of a percentage is silly to me.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Catchings is the only player in the Top 10 in scoring, rebounding and assists for the league. Her team, after not making the playoffs is a strong 2nd place contender.

I think those overshadow her FG Pct easily. I mean, why isn't Snow or Margo a candidate if we're going to put so much emphasis on FG Pct?

How many of those missed shots are shot clock bailouts when no one else can get the shot off?

Well said, Dts. Right now, I have a hard time chosing between Swoopes and Catchings. However, if Catchings recent upswing is a lasting trend, it could be an easy choice by the end of the season.

I also have to think the league would love for Catchings to be named MVP, for what that would end up being worth.

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thinks that Yo Griffith should be a top candidate as well? yea she's had a couple of quiet games this yr. But she is what makes this team go, she is the leader of the Monarchs and w/out her I don't think that we would be #1 in the west and #2 in the league right now.

Last edited by dwalkfan22 on 07/21/05 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Nobody is dimissing her because of her shooting percentage. But it is one strike against her.

Just like Swoopes's relative lack of rebounding is one strike against her. Just like Taj's relative weakness of late is one strike against her.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Nobody is dimissing her because of her shooting percentage. But it is one strike against her.

seems like Pilight is kind of dismissing her.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dwalkfan22 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that Yo Griffith should be a top candidate as well?

I think Yo has a similar problem to Taj.

Sacramento is one of the league's best teams, so you have to look at them and put someone in the mix.

But they have two players who are legit MVP candidates: Yo and DeMya. Same for the Sun, who have Taj and Sales (and Whalen?). It's hard to choose between them, so sometimes then you end up looking at someone from another team...

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer to argue these things after the season is over but it's good message board fodder.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
I prefer to argue these things after the season is over but it's good message board fodder.

Kills time on a lazy day; better than arguing who was more boorish yesterday, Laimbeer or Mike T!

Alepp03

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past few Monarch games I have seen, I have been significantly more impressed with DeMya than Yolanda. DeMya is aggressive on offense and takes charge with the ball. Her defense is strong, and she seems to be the emotional leader of the team, and gives them an edge that Yo used to provide. Yo is a good player, but one of her teammates has out-shined her as of late.

With regards to Catch, FG% is a biggie to me when comparing two players with similar scoring. Essentially, Sheryl is scoring more efficiently and more total points. Also, Catch is scoring very inefficiently, even though that is improving. If no one else were scoring the way Tamika was at a more efficient percentage, then I wouldn't consider it. But Sheryl is, so I have to.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
But they have two players who are legit MVP candidates: Yo and DeMya... It's hard to choose between them, so sometimes then you end up looking at someone from another team...

So should I tell Yo to not play good so DWalk can get MVP? Laughing jk jk. I agree with what someone said earlier.. DeMya is the sleeper... but its ok.. her time will come. Good things come to those who wait. Wink

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Taj is the best player on the best team.

Is she? Are you sure? I would think that losing Whalen or Sales would be more damaging to the Sun than losing TMF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: