Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget Juwanna Mandelbaum! Wink

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beesting wrote:
I think Nancy Lieberman is Jewish, but I'm not sure.

I am not sure if Nancy is Jewish or Not (in Judaism, there are two religions...Jewish or Not...LOL)

If she is Jewish, we don't want her. Can we make a trade?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Nancy is, but I'm willing to trade

She is? Lets trade! Heck, I will take Blazejowski, if it means getting rid of NL!

sambista

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Don't forget Juwanna Mandelbaum! Wink

rotflmmfao!

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
threefrom60 wrote:
If you really want to be technical... Sue Bird is half Jewish. She says she celebrates Christmas and Hannukah both. It's her dad's half of the family.

If Sue Bird's mother isn't Jewish and if Sue Bird has not converted, then Sue Bird isn't Jewish. There is no "half."

Then you ought to tell the media people that write this stuff down. I certainly didn't make it up. I've read those exact words before, half Jewish, celebrating both holidays. If someone wanted to call themselves that, can we really argue against them? It's their indentification, not ours.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/20/05 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those are the covenants/tenets of Judaism. The fact the media ignores them...well, I am not surprised. The fact people choose to practice differently is their own business and I respect their privacy. But from a technical standpoint, there is no such thing as "half Jewish." It's like pregnancy...either you are or you aren't.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 07/21/05 10:08 am    ::: mi yehudi ("who is a jew") Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Those are the covenants/tenets of Judaism. The fact the media ignores them...well, I am not surprised. The fact people choose to practice differently is their own business and I respect their privacy. But from a technical standpoint, there is no such thing as "half Jewish." It's like pregnancy...either you are or you aren't.

I know people who have a Jewish dad and a Not mom and who consider themselves Jewish, attend synagogue, etc. without having undergone conversion by a rabbi. (Our child may grow up to be such a person.) I'm happy to consider these people Jewish, as are many other Reform and some Reconstructionist Jews, although no or almost no Orthodox Jews, and probably not many Conservative Jews, would.

Different branches of Judaism hold different beliefs as to these things. However, tthe official centuries-old Jewish law (halakhah) says these folks aren't Jewish, as does the Israeli law on who counts as Jewish for immigration purposes. So Cam is right about "technical standpoint" (and about "either you are or you aren't") if he's talking about Israeli law or about some branches or Judaism, but maybe slightly misleading about others.

Shay Doron is a superb player. I would support the Terps in ACC because of her (and because I'm from the area) except that Minnesota fans have to dislike the Terps until they get a new coach: this spring I really wanted a win from Green Bay.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/21/05 10:47 am    ::: Re: mi yehudi ("who is a jew") Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Shay Doron is a superb player. I would support the Terps in ACC because of her (and because I'm from the area) except that Minnesota fans have to dislike the Terps until they get a new coach: this spring I really wanted a win from Green Bay.

I can totally understand the betrayal that Minny fans feel towards Brenda. I'm not going try to defend her except to say I don't think it was personal...just a career move that might not come around again and she went for it. But it still stinks if you're a Minny player, recruit or fan. However, Minnesota's program seems to have done quite nicely without her...and that's probably your best revenge.

That being said, I have to confess I really like having her as the terps coach, and since her contract was recently extended, I don't think you'll get your wish for a new Md coach anytime soon.

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Terps! Very Happy yea Shay is an awesome player... congrats to her winning the gold and taking MVP @ the Maccabi games.. did anyone get to watch the Terps show "Under The Shell"? i think thats what it was called. it was a nice behind the scenes show.

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so, when you say that "being jewish is passed through the mother"
are you trying to tell me that a "religious belief" is passed on through heredity by the female? (unless of course my limited knowledge of this faith is skewed)
i dont understand that at all.
then that way, i would be a duke fan and lutheran.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

krvanch wrote:
so, when you say that "being jewish is passed through the mother"
are you trying to tell me that a "religious belief" is passed on through heredity by the female? (unless of course my limited knowledge of this faith is skewed)
i dont understand that at all.
then that way, i would be a duke fan and lutheran.

Not the "belief" the heritage. Cam is right, at least in Judaism, technically a child takes on the heritage (religion) of the mother. Of course you can practice a religion or not practice a religion, whether or not you are or aren't of that heritage.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/21/05 11:55 am    ::: Re: mi yehudi ("who is a jew") Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I can totally understand the betrayal that Minny fans feel towards Brenda. I'm not going try to defend her except to say I don't think it was personal...just a career move that might not come around again and she went for it. But it still stinks if you're a Minny player, recruit or fan. However, Minnesota's program seems to have done quite nicely without her...and that's probably your best revenge.

I am not a big Minnesota fan, but Frese is pretty much hated around the B11, so I am going to jump in. What I don't like about her isn't that she left, but how she did it. She bad-mouthed Minnesota saying you could never win a NC with the facilities there and the players you could recruit. Totally classless. Then she went to the Final Four those players got to and talked people up trying to take credit for their appearance in the Final Four. Even more classless.

Sorry if you are a Terp fan, but it would make me happy if they didn't win a single game.

As an aside, there was a discussion about her on the Purdue board a year or so ago, and a Maryland sports information person came on the board going off about how Minnesota was awful and the B11 was awful and anyone who couldn't see that Frese was too good for them was an idiot. It was very bizarre.

gopher5

PostPosted: 07/21/05 12:13 pm    ::: Re: mi yehudi ("who is a jew") Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I am not a big Minnesota fan, but Frese is pretty much hated around the B11, so I am going to jump in. What I don't like about her isn't that she left, but how she did it. She bad-mouthed Minnesota saying you could never win a NC with the facilities there and the players you could recruit. Totally classless. Then she went to the Final Four those players got to and talked people up trying to take credit for their appearance in the Final Four. Even more classless.

Sorry if you are a Terp fan, but it would make me happy if they didn't win a single game.

As an aside, there was a discussion about her on the Purdue board a year or so ago, and a Maryland sports information person came on the board going off about how Minnesota was awful and the B11 was awful and anyone who couldn't see that Frese was too good for them was an idiot. It was very bizarre.

Sorry to keep it off-topic, but thanks for posting that Matty. I think that is what most Minnesota fans (and I would assume the players at the time) are not happy about - the way she left and the comments that were made.

MN fans are happy with the change and feel the Gophers would not have gone to the Final Four with Brenda. It will be interesting to see how long fans will keep reacting to MD scores when they are announced during Gopher games. Comments like the sports information person made do not help the situation.

I also like Shay Doran as a player as well and it sounds like they have another good recruiting class coming in.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:21 pm    ::: Re: mi yehudi ("who is a jew") Reply Reply with quote

I should specify that the claimed to be an SIO for Maryland. I e-mailed the remarks to their athletic director, but have no idea if the looney actually did work for Maryland.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Lieberman.html

The trade has already been made, Cam. Editor says Nancy is a born again Christian.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

The trade has already been made, Cam. Editor says Nancy is a born again Christian.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hava Nagila, Hava Nagila, Hava Nagila, May L'smacha!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA commissioner Donna Orender is Jewish. She and M.G. were active in building the Beth El at the Beaches Synagogue when they lived in Jacksonville. “We feel very strongly about being able to have a Jewish focal point at the Beach,” said Donna.

From this dated but fascinating piece from womens digest, I also learned that Donna has an adopted Chinese brother and sister.

http://www.womensdigest.net/departments/career/car0302c.html

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
WNBA commissioner Donna Orender is Jewish. She and M.G. were active in building the Beth El at the Beaches Synagogue when they lived in Jacksonville. “We feel very strongly about being able to have a Jewish focal point at the Beach,” said Donna.

I also learned that Donna has an adopted Chinese brother and sister.

Makes sense; we Jews are always looking for a good place for Chinese food on Christmas Day!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Makes sense; we Jews are always looking for a good place for Chinese food on Christmas Day!

What about the Jewish-Mexican place, "Casa de Hadassah?" With the Tequila Sunrise Sunset? Smile

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

What about the Jewish-Mexican place, "Casa de Hadassah?" With the Tequila Sunrise Sunset? Smile

I found a great Teriyaki sauce called Soy Vay. Awesome stuff!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been to a Jewish-Mexican place.... Around dessert-time, everybody sung: Hava Tequila, Hava Tequila, Hava Tequila, May L'smacha!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hava Nagila, Hava Nagila, Hava Nagila, May L'smacha!

The trade almost fell through when the Rabbatical Council of America tried to toss in Deb Schlussel as an add-on. Twisted Evil

Barrister15

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I found a great Teriyaki sauce called Soy Vay. Awesome stuff!

And you can wash it all down with some HeBrew beer. (really, it exists)

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 07/21/05 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jewish humor is the best. It makes your brain work hard, too.

Sass

PostPosted: 07/21/05 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

This belongs on Chappelle's "racial draft" skit.

Very Happy

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: