RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

C'mon Charlotte, It's Time Already...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/19/05 2:29 pm    ::: C'mon Charlotte, It's Time Already... Reply Reply with quote

to pull the plug on Trudi. Look at the minutes in today's game:

Staley - 37
Feaster - 34
Smith - 36
Sam - 33
TSB - 29

and more importantly:

Perkins - 13
Miller - 11
McCarville - 4
Mazzante - DNP
Walker - DNP

In case they weren't sure, THEY'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! But Trudi is officially coaching to win every game and save her job. That is no way to build a team. You've got to start getting some time for Janel and Jia and see if they can be players. Mazzante and Miller have to get the opportunity to see if they can contribute.

This is a sad and ridiculous state of affairs. There's no way Trudi is going to play the youth; she has to go, and I mean NOW.

stever

PostPosted: 07/19/05 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...no doubt!...they're up by 6 with 5:00 left, and lose by 9?
Can you say "out of gas?"
Sadly, I expect Mr. Johnson & co. to let her finish out the year...does holding the GM job also give her more security?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 07/19/05 3:11 pm    ::: firing Reply Reply with quote

If Charlotte had a GM who wasn't the coach, it would be part of the GM's job description to advise the owners to fire the coach, so, yeah, having Trudi be the GM contributes to her unwarranted job security.

After reading that News Tribune article about Bibby and thinking about Bibby's (and Toler's) personnel decisions I'm thinking that an unwillingness to play rookies (because you have to tell them what to do, they don't show up knowing it) might be one sign of a lousy coach. What do you-all think?

In sort-of defense of Charlotte's owners: while it could be that they don't give a rat's @#$ about how their team does on the court, it could also be that they don't want to devote any time to hiring an interim coach when the candidate pool is larger and stronger for a fresh start next year. Gee whiz, what an ugly situation. At least they broke 10K reported attendance-- Camp Day is a wonderful thing for the league, financially speaking.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/19/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
while it could be that they don't give a rat's @#$ about how their team does on the court

This is what I am hearing.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WTH 4 mins for McCarville?Evil or Very Mad She should of at least got more min then that. How do you expect her learn any thing by slashing her mins down to nothing. Pretty soon she going to be on DNP list.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
WTH 4 mins for McCarville?Evil or Very Mad She should of at least got more min then that. How do you expect her learn any thing by slashing her mins down to nothing. Pretty soon she going to be on DNP list.

After the game, there was a full team autograph session, so that all of the YMCA campers got two autographs. A young boy asked Janel how many points she scored. She laughed and said she didn't play enough to score any today. Another boy was quick to her defense, explaining, "She's just a rookie." Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

After the game, there was a full team autograph session, so that all of the YMCA campers got two autographs. A young boy asked Janel how many points she scored. She laughed and said she didn't play enough to score any today. Another boy was quick to her defense, explaining, "She's just a rookie." Very Happy

Good thing that boy wasn't in line to get Mazzante's autograph! Razz

gopher5

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner wrote:
gopherfan wrote:

Thanks Ballwinner. I appreciate hearing about McCarville. Smile

Trudi - please set her free!

stever

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:23 pm    ::: Ballwinner Reply Reply with quote

Ballwinner I imagine you're not at liberty to say much here, but how is player morale holding up...any chance of a "mutiny" or have they just shut Trudi out?

icey23

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet Trudi could make the Sparks win.

PostPosted: 07/19/05 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
After the game, there was a full team autograph session, so that all of the YMCA campers got two autographs. A young boy asked Janel how many points she scored. She laughed and said she didn't play enough to score any today. Another boy was quick to her defense, explaining, "She's just a rookie."

Smile Typical of Janel to add humor to lighten the situation. Thanks Ballwinner.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
Hoopsta1415

PostPosted: 07/19/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish Janel didn't end up in Charlotte Sad

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/19/05 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it's a bit late to salvage the season. I agree with accommodatingly, it would make sense to hold onto her till the end of the season and then let her go.

Then again, there is that owner apathy thing...
Ballwinner

PostPosted: 07/19/05 8:08 pm    ::: Re: Ballwinner Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Ballwinner I imagine you're not at liberty to say much here, but how is player morale holding up...any chance of a "mutiny" or have they just shut Trudi out?

I can tell you that our team has been wonderful at our recent community events.

Many have questioned how Dawn Staley was voted an All-Star. Logistically, the Sting may only have 50 fans, but we have 65 interns. But the reason why is repeatedly revealed through her every interaction. At our Family Fun Day (http://www.wnba.com/sting/community/Sting_Celebrate_Families-147016-683.html), Dawn was one of the several players that stuck around longer than she had to. Dawn seemed to truly be there to play with the kids and sought to involve as many as possible. Dawn didn't seek attention. Few, if any, of the kids probably had a clue about her three Olympic Gold medals; they just saw her as the very kind lady who was interested in them. If you have a young, talented daughter, I would send her to Coach Staley's school.

At Camp Day today (http://www.wnba.com/sting/community/Fun_Is_The_Word_At_Camp_Day-147073-683.html), the players seemed to have stepped it up for the kids. Despite the loss, the team was very outgoing during the full team autograph session. Before the gates opened, Tangela Smith took the mic (as she had at Saturday's event) to wish the athletic trainer intern a happy birthday.

I realize this post dances around the subject. Away from the locker room (and Trudi), the team seems to be in strong spirits.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: