RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Off day diversion: guess Chicago's starting 5 next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/18/05 8:51 am    ::: Off day diversion: guess Chicago's starting 5 next year Reply Reply with quote

Angelina Williams/Shereka Wright
Niele Ivey/Yolanda Paige
Barb Farris/Kayla Chones
Kristin Rassmussen/Ebony Hoffman
Olympia Scott-Richardson/LaKeshia Frett

...right off the top of my head
Wink

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/18/05 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could you give a little refresher on how the expansion draft works? That comes before the regular draft? When it comes to the regular draft, where will Chicago's picks fall?

styxfan22

PostPosted: 07/18/05 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, what happens with suspended players, like Erika Taylor and Aiysha Smith? Do they have to be protected if a team doesn't want to lose them?

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/18/05 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely the top 5 pick will start:

Augustus/Young/Currie/Pondexter/Grant
stever

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guessing: Chicago will get the first non-lottery pick in the college draft?
Speculation is teams will protect 6 players, unrestricted free agents will not count against that 6.
I think league economics will dictate Chicago takes a lot of younger, less expensive players, with 1 or 2 years of league experience at most.

LSUTigerFan

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="styxfan22"]Also, what happens with suspended players, like Erika Taylor and Aiysha Smith? Do they have to be protected if a team doesn't want to lose them?[/quote

why is Aiysha Smith suspended?

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSUTigerFan wrote:

She's on the suspended list because she's under contract but isn't playing this year (if wrong, anybody feel free to correct me).

Chicago has some decent perimeter players to look at but they probably won't get a look at a decent post in the expansion draft or the regular draft (where the best posts are Khara Smith and Shawntinice Polk). Oh well, they'll probably be frontrunners for Jessica Davenport in 2007.

Last edited by Keegan on 07/18/05 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
LSUTigerFan wrote:

She's on the suspended list because she's under contract but isn't playing this year (if wrong, anybody feel free to correct me).

Chicago has some decent perimeter players to look at but they probably won't get a look at a decent post in the expansion post or the regular draft (where the best posts are Khara Smith and Shawntinice Polk). Oh well, they'll probably be frontrunners for Jessica Davenport in 2007.

And if they don't get her, Tiffany Jackson isn't a bad second choice.

caune

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:27 am    ::: Re: Off day diversion: guess Chicago's starting 5 next year Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Angelina Williams/Shereka Wright
Niele Ivey/Yolanda Paige
Barb Farris/Kayla Chones
Kristin Rassmussen/Ebony Hoffman
Olympia Scott-Richardson/LaKeshia Frett

...right off the top of my head
Wink

hmm, how can they get THREE Mercury players?
You are going to have to pick just one greedy man Wink

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Adrian Williams and Ruthie Bolton?

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i dunno about the details of who gets whom, limits, blah blah blah. but these players - by city connection or regional connection or appeal by nationality, etc. - will pass through the chicago screening process. if donna o had to promise chicago anything to help it succeed, chitown may wind up with catch or yo. that would be some serious hardball. i don't expect it, but who knows? some of these are safe where they are unless they screw up and/or go unprotected (or in trudi's case, the coach is asleep at the wheel). if large marge weren't traded and having such a good run in conn, she'd have definitely been goin' to chicago. if there are any other polish connections available . . . ditto for brasilians.

currie
pondexter
d-train
brunson
feaster
wycoff
streimikyte
vangorp (returns)
tasha pointer (gets a shot in camp, anyway)
chones
tamika williams
stacey thomas
tangela smith
aiysha smith
k.b. sharp
rasmussen
tamara moore
pollyanna johns kimbrough
dalma ivanyi
helen darling
tauja catchings (gets a shot in camp, anyway)
alisa burras (gets a shot in camp, anyway)

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i dunno about the details of who gets whom, limits, blah blah blah. but these players - by city connection or regional connection or appeal by nationality, etc. - will pass through the chicago screening process. if donna o had to promise chicago anything to help it succeed, chitown may wind up with catch or yo. that would be some serious hardball. i don't expect it, but who knows? some of these are safe where they are unless they screw up and/or go unprotected (or in trudi's case, the coach is asleep at the wheel). if large marge weren't traded and having such a good run in conn, she'd have definitely been goin' to chicago. if there are any other polish connections available . . . ditto for brasilians.

currie
pondexter
d-train
brunson
feaster
wycoff
streimikyte
vangorp (returns)
tasha pointer (gets a shot in camp, anyway)
chones
tamika williams
stacey thomas
tangela smith
aiysha smith
k.b. sharp
rasmussen
tamara moore
pollyanna johns kimbrough
dalma ivanyi
helen darling
tauja catchings (gets a shot in camp, anyway)
alisa burras (gets a shot in camp, anyway)

Purdue is about two hours from Chicago and the closest successful college program besides DePaul, which has no W players yet. If we are looking at regional consideraitons, I would expect Shereka Wright and Stacey Lovelace to get some consideration.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wyckoff will be protected most likely; she is one of Mike T's absolute favorites.

Keegan

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Wyckoff will be protected most likely; she is one of Mike T's absolute favorites.

That would mean Asjha Jones or Margo Dydek would be unprotected, who Chicago would snap up straight away IMHO..
sambista

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Purdue is about two hours from Chicago and the closest successful college program besides DePaul, which has no W players yet.

well, it did . . . "prisoner number 8372948! you have a call from the wnba. five minutes!"

wasn't there a second player from depaul, someone fairly new?

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

Jenni Dant was drafted by the Comets in the third round this year and was waived.

Kim Williams played for Utah and tried out for the Miami Sol.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

That would mean Asjha Jones or Margo Dydek would be unprotected, who Chicago would snap up straight away IMHO..

You think Chicago would snap up max salary Margo for two more years at that amount as they build a team? I don't think so myself.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

You're probably thinking of Lenae Williams, shot-a-holic.

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Keegan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

You think Chicago would snap up max salary Margo for two more years at that amount as they build a team? I don't think so myself.

Possibly - it's not like they're going to get anybody better in the post (unless they manage to do something dodgy with Yo).
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/18/05 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Purdue is about two hours from Chicago and the closest successful college program besides DePaul, which has no W players yet.

well, it did . . . "prisoner number 8372948! you have a call from the wnba. five minutes!"

Yeah, they have had a couple. I meant yet as in, not this year without Khara Smith.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 07/18/05 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mfon Udoka played for Depaul. I know she's been in WNBA training camps and I think that she played some with Houston. I know she's been active, since she's been on the some of the teams that make the college exhibition circuit in November, and I think she's been playing in the WNBL (or whatever the winter US league is called). I bet she gets a try-out.

sambista

PostPosted: 07/18/05 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Mfon Udoka played for Depaul. I know she's been in WNBA training camps and I think that she played some with Houston. I know she's been active, since she's been on the some of the teams that make the college exhibition circuit in November, and I think she's been playing in the WNBL (or whatever the winter US league is called). I bet she gets a try-out.

that's who i was thinking of. yeah, she did play for houston for a time. i remember seeing her play in the garden.

as for dydek, are you kidding? you gotta think about chicago's demographics. if they can get dydek, she's in. for sure.

PostPosted: 07/18/05 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see any big name players like Yo being "placed" in Chicago ala 1997...I'm skeptical about a W team in this market, despite it's size...hope I'm wrong..it was refreshing to see Cowens named coach, instead of the first available ex-Bull.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/18/05 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:

I liked Mfon. I was mad at the comets when they kept Blue over her last season. But I see Udoka getting a shot. Heres my projected starting 5.

Pondexter/Ivey
Wright/Lewis
Pierson/wyckoff
Udoka/Enis
Sutton-Brown/Hoffman

**They will probably not get Tammy in the expansion draft but I think shes a free agent and one that should go after.

caune

PostPosted: 07/18/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:

I liked Mfon. I was mad at the comets when they kept Blue over her last season. But I see Udoka getting a shot. Heres my projected starting 5.

Pondexter/Ivey
Wright/Lewis
Pierson/wyckoff
Udoka/Enis
Sutton-Brown/Hoffman

**They will probably not get Tammy in the expansion draft but I think shes a free agent and one that should go after.

You only get one player per team, so unless the Mercury is trading for Chicagos pick, you need to give us back Wright or Ivey;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: