RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lindsay Whalen is Grounded & Calls Going to Conn a Bless
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 12/28/04 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I think if we don't get her, we'll get a lot of abuse," McConnell Serio said. "If we don't get Lindsay, I hope they will embrace the two players we do get in the draft and not hold it against them that they're not Lindsay. We made every effort to make it happen."

This is probably not a Sun-specific quote. Phoenix, Washington and Connecticut were unwilling to trade their respective picks, and ultimately Charlotte -- the only real possibility out of all these scenarios -- chose to decline Minnesota's offer for #3 as well.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Quote:
"I think if we don't get her, we'll get a lot of abuse," McConnell Serio said. "If we don't get Lindsay, I hope they will embrace the two players we do get in the draft and not hold it against them that they're not Lindsay. We made every effort to make it happen."

This is probably not a Sun-specific quote. Phoenix, Washington and Connecticut were unwilling to trade their respective picks, and ultimately Charlotte -- the only real possibility out of all these scenarios -- chose to decline Minnesota's offer for #3 as well.

Agreed. However it was made in the context of trades with the Sun in that article I believe.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
All Mike said was to say you've done everything is not correct.

The problem is, that's not all he said.

I could have lived with this quote: "no, they haven't done everything. I wouldn't have accepted any trade without Katie Smith, but they wouldn't give her up, so there's no deal."

That would have been a fine reaction. Or, if you want to be more discreet and more vague, you could just respond to saying: "Well, I can't really comment on whether they've done everything possible, but all I can tell you is that we were unable to get a deal done because they didn't offer enough for us to give up our picks."

And remember, that is exactly how Charlotte responded. Charlotte was actually closer to doing the deal, so as P_D said, the "we've done everything possible" quotes (if they were directed at anyone) were directed just as much or more at Charlotte as Connecticut.

And Charlotte (unlike Thibault) didn't respond by criticizing the Lynx. They just said: the Lynx didn't offer us quite enough, if they give more we'll still listen, but at this point, we haven't been able to reach a deal.

I've always heard that the Lynx were willing to give up 6 and 7 and Tamika.... but assume what you say is true, that the Lynx weren't willing to give up Tamika either, and that the best they offered was picks 6 and 7 plus Darling.

So it would have been fair to say that the Lynx didn't do everything. If that was "all mike said," and if he would have left it at that, fine. That would have been a fair response.

But was it also fair to go on to say that the Lynx "haven't made anything that resembles a good trade offer"?

Maybe 6-7-Darling wasn't worth it for CT, but wasn't that at least something that resembled a good trade offer?

Was it fair to go on to say that the Lynx hadn't offered any players of "pretty good stature"?

Maybe that trade wasn't worth it, and maybe (definitely!) Darling's not that great, but weren't the players available at 6-7 (Ohlde, Hayden, Jones, Brunson) at least players who you could call players of "pretty good stature"?

And why say to the Courant that Lynx "didn't step up"?

Maybe the trade wasn't worth it, but 6-7-Darling was at least a reasonable offer by a team making a good faith effort to get a deal done. T-Bone's statement's to the contrary were misleading, unnecessary, borderline malicious.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good discussion, but at this point, let's agree to disagree. I don't think he was as obnoxious as you do (course I don't think Geno's that bad either), and I think SMS led on the press in Minnesota a lot more than she should have too.

Anyway, both teams should be happy with what they have, and I know I'm looking forward to this upcoming season. Mike has said he's not through changing the team, so let's see what the Sun looks like next year.

Wendy's going to be gone, possibly Debbie as well, and who knows what else pops up. I'm still in favor of trading KT Douglas in the right package. Are you listening Indiana? KT and our pick for your pick and Schumacher perhaps?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. However it was made in the context of trades with the Sun in that article I believe.

No, it wasn't. Here's the link to that April 16 article.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1296/4725105.html

As the article said, a deal with Charlotte was the Lynx's best hope, and that was where most of the efforts were focused. That article didn't even mention the possibility of a trade with the Sun.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yep, pretty neutral article about trading partners. My mistake.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Good discussion, but at this point, let's agree to disagree. I don't think he was as obnoxious as you do (course I don't think Geno's that bad either), and I think SMS led on the press in Minnesota a lot more than she should have too.

Anyway, both teams should be happy with what they have, and I know I'm looking forward to this upcoming season.

Yeah, that's all good. Obviously nothing personal toward you, dtsnms. I like Geno a lot, actually, and I like the Sun as a team. I just think Thibault's a big jackass for the things he says in the press, both with the Whalen trade and other things.

And yeah, SMS may have been playing the press too. Maybe she was one of the many people who didn't think Whalen would succeed in the W. Moreoever, she made one suggestion about how "Glen Taylor wouldn't allow me to trade the whole team away," which was probably a misleading account of the behind-the-scenes dynamic.

The whole thing worked out more-or-less fine for both teams anyway. The Lynx have no point guard, but with Katie and the posts, they're a good team. They didn't have the fan support they would have with Whalen, but they'll survive anyway. So they should be able to move on...

... until we go through the same thing next April with McCarville. Luckily, Janel (not a Minnesotan, not quite so cute) isn't as popular is Lindsay was, so it shouldn't be as bad.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't worry hoops, nothing was ever considered personal! It was good, clean discussion and it has helped a slow Tuesday go by faster.

We're all entitled to our personal faves and dislikes. I like Mike, he's always been nice to me and my family, so that's it more than his quotes, etc.

SMS isn't as much a favorite of mine, but she's a tremendous coach, and certainly seems to be a good person. I hope they both get future opportunities to succeed, and I wouldn't mind seeing either or both as assistants in 2008 to Anne Donovan on the Olympic team.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 12/29/04 7:08 pm    ::: Whalen WNBA draft day Reply Reply with quote

frist off i just want to say hello. I can see that this draft still leaves a sour taste in you guys mouth i am glad that i am not the only one that feels that way. But i do think blaming Mike is not the answer we are looking for. The lynxs had there chance they can only blame there self for "supposably" trying. Yes i am still mad about this. I strongly dislike Suzie McConnell Serio i think her coment on "If we don't get Lindsay, I hope they will embrace the two players we do get in the draft and not hold it against them that they're not Lindsay. We made every effort to make it happen. " I think that is a load of crap she only said that so she could save her own ass from being screwed by the media and the fans. Even if the lynxs pick 11th this year in the draft they have no Intention on going for Janel McCarville.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:07 pm    ::: And life goes on Reply Reply with quote

Well, gopherfan welcome.
I must say though, its to bad you seem to still have such bitter feelings but thats your perogative. I don't know that most folks here have quite the same sour taste you do.

Anyway I think it has been somed up quite well in that both camps at various times spoke what various parties may have wanted/needed to hear & the truth is very much somewhere in the middle. (A place that none of us will really ever get to know Laughing ). Both teams are happy & got what they needed.

gopherfan wrote:
Even if the lynxs pick 11th this year in the draft they have no Intention on going for Janel McCarville.

Agreed. It won't be a crime or the end of the world. Just means there will be another team for Gopher fans to cheer for.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:43 pm    ::: Missing all the fun Reply Reply with quote

Dang, you guys have all the fun, interesting discusions while some of us are at work & can't join in.

Not to stir things up but p d has stamped this whole deal perfectly. Lots of fog for outsiders with things said to peoples face, things put in print, things heard/seen in interviews & somewhere in the middle is the real. Anyway Johnny come lately wants to add my 2 cents of fun & speculation:

Now interesting thing is I caught a radio interview w/ Mikey T. here on one of the sport talk shows the Tue after the draft. I didn't hear the 1st part but from what I heard, he said T Dub was never really an option, why ? Unsigned players could not be part of a trade. (which I believe is correct, plight or someone can U confirm) At the time of the draft Tamika had not signed her contract. Neither had Katie by the way. The last few season she has signed just before camp so that was not unusual.

Picks 6, 7 and Tamika is not 1 of the offers I heard. I can't imagine anyone from the Lynx offering that. Someone asking sure but offer put out by the Lynx..., no way I can't see it Confused ... (but who am I)

My thought:
Think about it. Post help was one of the team needs. The Lynx best, most consistent & productive post was T-dub. Remember Janel Burse was part of the trade to get the 6th pick.

So if you tell me the Lynx would essentially offer up Tamika Williams, Janel Burse and/or Nicole Ohlde, Vanessa Haden & Christie Thomas for Lindsay Whalen, I have some ocean front property here in Minnesota I can sell you. I'll go to my grave not believing this deal. (I aint ready to go yet by the way)

That would have left them w/VanGorp who was a non factor in 2004 & was not healthy going into camp anyway, Jordan Adams, less than 100% healthy in camp & Gwen Slaughter Shocked
They could have picked up Tara Bjorklund, another MN native & looked at some FA's or cast offs from other teams but, & no offense to any of these players, but for a Western conf team or any for that matter could you paint a more bleak picture ? Embarassed

Yikes, I don't think so ....

MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/29/04 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

...Yeah, Minnesota fans need to learn to love someone other than their local white girls. We have, after all, one of the 5 or 10 best women's basketball players in the world on our team already. But to some of the so-called fans around here, there's only one women's basketball player in the world who matters, and she's now on the Sun.

... If our attendance doesn't pick up, we don't deserve a team.

hoops hope you don't mind but I cut & pasted this earlier post to some up my thoughts as well. Its my hope this area will step up & prove that they have become fans of Women's basketball ball because of a 'player' who exposed them to the gm & not just fans of the 'player'. If they don't & G.T. feels the need to move on thanks to him for trying & the area be damned.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/30/04 1:30 pm    ::: Re: Missing all the fun Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:

Picks 6, 7 and Tamika is not 1 of the offers I heard. I can't imagine anyone from the Lynx offering that. Someone asking sure but offer put out by the Lynx..., no way I can't see it Confused ... (but who am I)

You know, I've talked to a couple more people about this the last couple days, and I think you're right.

(Incidentally, T-Dub signed on the 15th or 16th, so she probably would have been available.)

Anyway, after talking to a few more people, I think the basic deal was that the Lynx were willing to offer anyone -- Washington, Charlotte, or CT -- picks 6 and 7 plus someone else.

The talks with Charlotte progressed the furthest, and they got specific about who that third player would be (Darling). But then Lacey decided not to do it (stupid!).

The talks with CT didn't even get far enough to talk about who it would be, because CT said simply they wouldn't do the deal unless they got "four starters," and MN basically said that's too much, and plus MN was thinking they'd get the deal done with Charlotte anyway. And people in MN basically got the impression that Sienko/T-Bone were just trying to extort them and didn't have any interest in hammering out a fair trade.

So Tamika was never really on the table because it just didn't even progress that far.

Would the Lynx have given her up as part of the three-player deal? I have no idea. Katie Smith was obviously completely off-limits. Just about anyone else was probably available, including Darling certainly, Svet probably. T-Dub... I don't know. I think you're right -- that if they were going to lose the 6-7 picks, and so lose their chance at new posts, they probably would have been very reluctant to lose Tamika too.

Shaqfan

PostPosted: 12/30/04 11:18 pm    ::: Tamika offlimits Reply Reply with quote

Tamika was definately off limits last year. Glen Taylor was quite adamant that anyone could be traded EXCEPT Katie and Tamika. He said either one of them was off limits. I can remember reading that. Several times.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: