RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Betty Lennox to the Sparks!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sass

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:05 pm    ::: Betty Lennox to the Sparks! Reply Reply with quote

Fresh off the Sparks HQ email wire:

SPARKS SIGN ALL-STAR GUARD BETTY LENNOX

LOS ANGELES – All-Star guard and 2000 WNBA Rookie of the Year Betty Lennox has signed with the Los Angeles Sparks it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Lennox was selected in the first round, (sixth overall), by the Minnesota Lynx in the 2000 WNBA draft. Her nine-year WNBA career includes stints with the Lynx, Miami Sol, Cleveland Rockers, Seattle Storm and Atlanta Dream. In 2004, after being selected by Seattle in the dispersal draft, she led the Storm to the WNBA Championship and was named the WNBA Finals MVP.

"Betty is a dynamic guard, both offensively and defensively, who brings instant toughness to our backcourt" said Sparks Vice President and General Manager Penny Toler. "Her championship experience will definitely help us in our quest to win the title in 2009."

After being selected in the expansion draft by the Atlanta Dream in February 2008, Lennox started 33 of 34 games and averaged 17.5 ppg for the season before being waived. For her career, she is averaging 12.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 2.1 apg in 202 career starts.

"I have to first thank God for this opportunity. This is a dream come true for me," said Lennox. "I'm happy and more than excited to be part of the Sparks organization."

In two years at Louisiana Tech, Lennox played in 67 games and averaged 13.7 ppg and 5.0 rpg. In her senior campaign, she was selected the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year, named to the Associated Press All-America Third Team, the USA Basketball Writers Association All-America First Team and the Women's Basketball News Service All-America First Team. Lennox played at Trinity Valley Community College (Athens, Texas) in 1996-97 and led the team to the Junior College National Championship as Trinity Valley posted a 34-2 record.

The Los Angeles Sparks tip-off the WNBA season on June 6th at the STAPLES Center against the Defending Champion Detroit Shock at 11:30 am. For more information on season or group tickets logon to www.lasparks.com or call 877-44-SPARKS.

WOOO!!!!

All my favorite players are now on the same team!! I'm so excited.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm now even more excited for the Sparks season to start, if that's even possible. Wink

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether they win the title or not, The Sparks should at least be fun to watc.

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

still waiting to see who the Sparks trade. MFH has been rumored, and I'd suspect a post or two to be moved as well.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FS02

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh hell yes, this will be interesting!

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Interesting" is a good word.

Michael Cooper may be longing for a college job after trying to get enough shots for Betty, Tina and Lisa. And DeLisha Milton-Jones has never been really happy with her diminished role, and now the only way she's going to get the ball is to steal it from another Spark.

PostPosted: 04/14/09 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
"Interesting" is a good word.

I'm thinking..or hoping, for somthing more then interesting...I'm going with train wreck Wink

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Los Angeles Sparks waived Murriel Page

...is the other, small-print line of this story. Don't know how the Sparks will cope now they're down to only 26 post players instead of 27.

bballequalslife

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Don't know how the Sparks will cope now they're down to only 26 post players instead of 27.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Don't know how the Sparks will cope now they're down to only 26 post players instead of 27.

We used to joke in LA that if you had a 310 area code, you were automatically invited to Sparks training camp.

Sass

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
bballequalslife wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

We used to joke in LA that if you had a 310 area code, you were automatically invited to Sparks training camp.

On the serious tip, I wonder if they're still going to have that open tryout the first weekend in May. Because they sure as hell don't need anyone else right now.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Sparks waived Murriel Page

...is the other, small-print line of this story. Don't know how the Sparks will cope now they're down to only 26 post players instead of 27.

I like Murriel Page, I'm kinda sad she got waived. I expected it though, especially with shorten role on the team last year.

Oh well, thanks for the great years with the team Murriel, I hope she continues to play well overseas and if she does sign with another team, I'll be sure to key an eye out for her.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm now even more excited for the Sparks season to start, if that's even possible. Wink

I think this is fabulous!! One of the best guards in the world to play with the best front line ever assembled!! Im getting chills Sparks fans..
Lisa must leave with another Championship!

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
still waiting to see who the Sparks trade. MFH has been rumored, and I'd suspect a post or two to be moved as well.

Im sure now that Penny has signed Betty her attention will turn to pulling the gun on a trade..

Pull it Penny, Pull it!

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Im sure now that Penny has signed Betty her attention will turn to pulling the gun on a trade..

Pull it Penny, Pull it!

Give us Noelle Quinn for Marie Ferdinand-Harris Minnesota. Wink

I wonder whats else is in store for the Sparks between now an the opening of training camp.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:45 pm    ::: Re: Betty Lennox to the Sparks! Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Fresh off the Sparks HQ email wire:

SPARKS SIGN ALL-STAR GUARD BETTY LENNOX

Isn't there an NBA player with mad skills who can't seem to find a team that can stomach his personality? AI...........great stats....no longer playing.....

~rAf
scrappy

PostPosted: 04/14/09 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can't believe cooper would pull such a move? totally not smart basketbal move.

coop has to know there is only one ball. now all the sparkletts have to have the ball to be good. with betty lennox...one even demands the ball more.

the old lakers were sucessful because it had kareem and magic. with you, worthy and rambis as good support players.

the more recent superstars lakers failed with shaq, kobe, mailman, and payton. too many supertars.

oh, coop, coop, coop. big bad bill is laughing at you now

PostPosted: 04/14/09 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ordinarily I would agree, but if the alternative is what Marie Ferdinand was last year, then Lennox will help. She has played with stars before and toned down her desire to score. I am not her biggest fan either, but they really needed to do something in the backcourt.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/09 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, in all honesty I like the move as well. Even with all the baggage that Betty may bring with Betty, she's still a significant upgrade at the 2 and almost certainly the best they were going to be able to get their hands on. Just having a legitimate offensive threat in the backcourt is a huge plus.

They're still in hideously desperate need of a point guard though. Seriously, if Dawn Staley shows up to their open tryout, she'd probably make the roster. Maybe start. So would Teresa Edwards. Or Michelle Timms. Or whoever the point guard was on those All-American Redheads...

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 04/14/09 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Pull it Penny, Pull it!

I wonder whats else is in store for the Sparks between now an the opening of training camp.

I agree that would be a great move..I also wanna see maybe Tamecka Dixon..She was a steady ball handler and played some point for us in the Championship years..

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/14/09 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Spark4Life"]
GEF34 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Pull it Penny, Pull it!

I agree that would be a great move..I also wanna see maybe Tamecka Dixon..She was a steady ball handler and played some point for us in the Championship years..[quote]

Even with Betty aboard in LALAnd, I dont think MFH str8 up for Quinn is even. I love Quinn, and have been in love with her since UCLA, but she's not a natural pg. She would be an upgrade over our current current 1s and I wouldnt mind having her on the team, but I would like a 2nd rd pick or something else if im Penny.

PostPosted: 04/14/09 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Pull it Penny, Pull it!

I agree that would be a great move..I also wanna see maybe Tamecka Dixon..She was a steady ball handler and played some point for us in the Championship years..

Even with Betty aboard in LALAnd, I dont think MFH str8 up for Quinn is even. I love Quinn, and have been in love with her since UCLA, but she's not a natural pg. She would be an upgrade over our current current 1s and I wouldnt mind having her on the team, but I would like a 2nd rd pick or something else if im Penny.

I think something else would have to be involved, because from what I understand Marie Ferdinand-Harris has a max contract and Noelle Quinn is still on her rookie contract so it can't just be player for player. But even if a draft pick is include, a 2nd round like you mentioned this year it would basically be just player for player. I'd like another 2010 first round draft pick though. Wink

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/14/09 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
We used to joke in L.A. that if you had a 310 area code, you were automatically invited to the Sparks training camp.

The way things are going, there might actually be some truth to that. It might not be a joke after all. Razz

PostPosted: 04/14/09 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in God's name would Minnesota want Ferdinand-Harris? For Quinn, for Navonda Moore, for a bag of balls, for a meatball sub, for a sweaty used sneaker...

Really, it's yet another one of these trades where people try to dump their unwanted junk on other teams. She hasn't been any good for four years, and she'd be especially pointless in Minnesota considering their roster.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/14/09 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
...They're still in hideously desperate need of a point guard though. Seriously, if Dawn Staley shows up to their open tryout, she'd probably make the roster. Maybe start. So would Teresa Edwards. Or Michelle Timms. Or whoever the point guard was on those All-American Redheads...

Well....HallOfFamer Nancy Lieberman is still available... Twisted Evil

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: