RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So which UConn team shows up tonight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:28 pm    ::: Re: Damg again RK Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Damn Rebkell.

You sure carry a bigger stick on the home turf than I'm used to seeing ya wield on the ESPN Board.

*thinks - hehe -but you'll need a bigger stick than that*

FWIW, I think pilight does as good a job as anyone when it comes to discussing hoops.

But he did forget to add that SMS played LSU tougher than anyone this side of Baylor.

I'll remind you that Richmond did take out a decent SEC team on their home court. Rest assured I'll be paying very close attention to how y'all make out w/ the Gators.

Maybe you'd prefer it if I acted more like a Huskies fan? OMG -the Spiders are horrible! Had to go to double OT to beat Florida. I predict a 15-12 record...

BTW, does this qualify as a highjacking of a UConn thread?

I normally don't get in any kind of controversial/opinionated topics on this board, I better feel comfortable with the participants, mainly because a moderator shouldn't throw shit around, it can make the other posters a bit leery, and I don't want anyone to not cut loose with their opinions, I know everybody in this thread, so I'm not worried about any of them backing off Wink

I watched the Florida game, I wasn't impressed, Florida is one weird outfit in my book, they have never really impressed me, I don't know what the deal is, they seem to always have the capability/potential, but never follow through with it, they seem so sporadic, a decent game followed by a total putrid game.

Methinks pilight might be the master of disjointed facts, he can come up with conclusions on many occassions that don't compute, kind of like your little deal above, about SMS playing LSU closer than anyone this side of Baylor, those kind of little twists can usually result in a logical chain that has some RPI team in the 200's beating the #1 rpi team...

UCSB has the right idea, the conf is weak, but they schedule one bad ass out of conference schedule, and it helps in the long run, they could lose their conference and probably get in the dance, and they also get exposure to the higher seeded teams.

Of course it's really moot, because Richmond will be ending their out of conference schedule, and even though they are ranked in the top 10 in RPI right now, I don't see it holding up, because the scheduled teams will fade farther as the season progresses.

Maybe you can get some of those Silver Nitrate bullets, what movie was that in, Underworld? Kate Beckinsale is hot Wink

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:35 pm    ::: Re: Damg again RK Reply Reply with quote

yeah UCSB has the right idea, but even that backfires once in awhile (and the Big West is weak enough that I'm glad we haven't recently had to test the theory that we'd get in anyway)... this year we are down and it would take a miracle for us to get in without winning our little tourney down in Anaheim... I still have confidence in our ability to do that though, so I'm not too worried.

It'll be good to see Tomorrow how we respond to the shellacking we took from LSU the other day (worst loss or home loss or something like that for us in over 10 years)... Hopefully it fires us up to play closer to the Gaucho defense we've seen in recent years.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:37 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Guess what I'm saying is maybe all this playin' big games in November and December stuff ain't all that important?

Not playing them can bite you if you don't win your conference tournament. See Utah last season.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:47 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:

Gee, didn't some school go unbeaten in the regular season a few years ago only to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament? That can't be a good feeling. What school was that?

It may have been Liberty. They were undefeated, and the wonderful selection committee, set them up, they pitted them in the first round against the 39-0 Tennessee team at Knoxville in the first game, that was total BS by the committee, Tenn was without a doubt the #1 overall seed that year, and then to pit another undefeated team against them 1st round on their home court was a low blow.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Methinks pilight might be the master of disjointed facts, he can come up with conclusions on many occassions that don't compute

Often intentionally so, as you suggested before. Half the fun of stats is that you can twist them into nearly any shape you like.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 11:05 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Gaucho Don wrote:

Gee, didn't some school go unbeaten in the regular season a few years ago only to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament? That can't be a good feeling. What school was that?

It may have been Liberty. They were undefeated, and the wonderful selection committee, set them up, they pitted them in the first round against the 39-0 Tennessee team at Knoxville in the first game, that was total BS by the committee, Tenn was without a doubt the #1 overall seed that year, and then to pit another undefeated team against them 1st round on their home court was a low blow.

It happened to Liberty in 1998, in a total screw job by the committee as RebKell says. It also happened to Vermont in 1992 and 1993, losing to George Washington and Rutgers.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 11:17 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]It happened to Liberty in 1998, in a total screw job by the committee as RebKell says. It also happened to Vermont in 1992 and 1993, losing to George Washington and Rutgers.[/quote]

Vermont is the one I was thinking of, thanks!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/28/04 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If being there when it counts is part of the criteria, should we eliminate UNC in recent years?

I am on Richmond's bandwagon. Wins at Florida, at Virginia, undefeated with an RPI of 6? Of course the Spiders deserve to be in the top 25!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes common sense is what is lost in all the stat crap. Richmond may be solid, but are they really going to be there at the end as was asked above? WVU was solid last year, but hit the pavement early last year in the tourney.

Regarding scheduling big teams, remember all the "other" things that go with it. UConn has been trying to schedule Texas for several years, and it took until they had consecutive top teams for Texas to agree to it. Also, don't forget meaningless local rivalry games (ie UConn vs. Hartford this year) and the games to satisfy big name recruits (UConn to California last year for Dee and Colorado this year for Ann).

Teams that are in lesser conferences need to "find a hook" to get those big teams in to play them. Be it via local rivalry, personal friendships, or recruits. For example, Colorado was the first choice for UConn to play, to be close to Denver, but when they hesitated, my understanding is CSU called UConn and requested the game. The squeaky wheel I guess.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/28/04 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
remember all the "other" things that go with it. UConn has been trying to schedule Texas for several years, and it took until they had consecutive top teams for Texas to agree to it

Have to disagree. I interviewed Jody Conradt in March 2003. She stated, on the record, there were no previous discussions about a game with UConn.

There is message board lore about UConn's attempts to schedule Texas, but that is all I have seen from the UConn side.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/28/04 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I had read a quote where she had said they had been unable to make schedules match. Probably mistaken.

My bad then, I take that one back!

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/28/04 4:55 pm    ::: Re: Damg again RK Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Damn Rebkell.

You sure carry a bigger stick on the home turf than I'm used to seeing ya wield on the ESPN Board.

*thinks - hehe -but you'll need a bigger stick than that*

FWIW, I think pilight does as good a job as anyone when it comes to discussing hoops.

But he did forget to add that SMS played LSU tougher than anyone this side of Baylor.

I dunno how far Richmond will go - but I assure you those of us who are fans of teams that aren't Tennessee or UConn enjoy the rides every bit as much as y'all. Maybe not as long, but I'm sure just as much.

I think it was VW who had a really good post somewhere about how some fans may enjoy a season even if it doesn't end in a championship ring.

I'll remind you that Richmond did take out a decent SEC team on their home court. Rest assured I'll be paying very close attention to how y'all make out w/ the Gators.

Maybe you'd prefer it if I acted more like a Huskies fan? OMG -the Spiders are horrible! Had to go to double OT to beat Florida. I predict a 15-12 record...

No - no guns are blazin' yet. But I will start shining up those bullets.

BTW, does this qualify as a highjacking of a UConn thread?

I'm not sure what set me off on this one, but as of right now Richmond deserves to be ranked in the top 10, and should be ranked in the polls.

I guess the part that is sad, is that they deserve a good ranking, but if per chance, they complete the season and stay undefeated, they would actually start dropping in the rankings(RPI, and for this reason it will be hard to get recognition in the human polls, because of the road ahead), the schedule will catch up with them, it's very unfair, sort of, but you get penalized for the schedule, one way or the other. The RPI is the main determinant in seeding teams and determining at large bids.

So, really Richmond deserves to be ranked now, but they can win the rest of their games and will slip in the rankings

Human polls have a hard time doing that, so they probably look ahead and the road ahead determines how far you can rise in the earlier part of the year in the human polls, and if they do give you a lofty position, they will crucify for the slightest bobble, which would include things like not winning by enough, if you win it's expected, but if you barely win, it's a sign of weakness, and a loss is totally a killer.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 12/29/04 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For a school like Richmond, who plays in a weak conference, and isn't a traiditional Tourney team (see La Tech or UCSB as of late) I would say that their schedule to this point is respectable.

Virginia is a traditionally respectable program that I am sure is always tough on their home court.

SMS is in the same position as La Tech and UCSB as a school that plays a lesser conference schedule, but has done a respectable job making some noise year in and year out, thanks largely in part to Cheryl Burnett's efforts.

Florida last year was a mid to upper level SEC team who has since dropped after the loss of Hayden.

Liberty generally makes the tournament through winning their conference tourney and is a formidable opponent for a school like Richmond.

I would say that Richmond has clearly made a concerted effort to make something out of their schedule and the strength of the teams they are facing is down a tad from what they may have expected. Making some noise with this schedule will hopefully help them gain credibility and give them the capability to schedule even tougher teams in order to create a more stable RPI to aid them in a bid for the tourney.

PostPosted: 12/30/04 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richmond beat Dartmouth today and gets DePaul tomorrow in the Dartmouth tournament final. A win against the Blue Demons would be a good one for the Spiders.

PostPosted: 12/30/04 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richmond beat Dartmouth today and gets DePaul tomorrow in the Dartmouth tournament final. A win against the Blue Demons would be a good one for the Spiders.

Hell, I wish them well, like you said not too bad of a conference, I got the new RPI up, for next weeks games on, I'll start changing it weekly, it's pretty wild, have you checked it out?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/04 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
I got the new RPI up, for next weeks games on, I'll start changing it weekly, it's pretty wild, have you checked it out?

Not yet. I usually put my picks in for the whole week on Sunday.

PostPosted: 12/30/04 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
rebkell wrote:
I got the new RPI up, for next weeks games on, I'll start changing it weekly, it's pretty wild, have you checked it out?

Not yet. I usually put my picks in for the whole week on Sunday.

The rules for determining the winner are up, you might want to check them out, you are in good shape, I think you've got bonus points locked up for the 1st half ...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 12/30/04 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Methinks pilight might be the master of disjointed facts, he can come up with conclusions on many occassions that don't compute

Often intentionally so, as you suggested before. Half the fun of stats is that you can twist them into nearly any shape you like.

LOL!

I've often thought of hiring pilight as a "consultant"

"OK, how can I put a positive spin on Indy's trade/pick?"

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/30/04 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]Richmond beat Dartmouth today and gets DePaul tomorrow in the Dartmouth tournament final. A win against the Blue Demons would be a good one for the Spiders.[/quote]

Yeah it would... I have Richmond by 4. Hopefully it's a good game!!

pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/04 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
LOL!

Heh, I put a positive spin on the Nikki Mccray deal when it was made and many people thought I was serious. Wink

PostPosted: 12/30/04 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when she went to Indy or PHX?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/30/04 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
LOL!

Heh, I put a positive spin on the Nikki Mccray deal when it was made and many people thought I was serious. Wink

Hehe, I remember yesterday or the day before, cjavolfan(I think it was him) posted some link to tidbits about the Rutgers/Tenn game upcoming on the ESPN25 board. I started to post to not let you see it, because it was disjointed facts, and I felt confident that you could use those facts and make a case for St. John's taking it all or some other stunning revelation Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 12/30/04 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

I did both, but nobody took me seriously about her going to Phoenix.

PostPosted: 12/30/04 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

I did both, but nobody took me seriously about her going to Phoenix.

I have to admit, I thought her going to Phoenix would be good for the young team to have her experience.

She was amazing @ D.C. - in fact she was once my favorite W player.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/30/04 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't underestimate Nikki's contributions in Phoenix. She was EXCELLENT in the locker room and in practice. She really contributed to the development of a young team, though most of her contributions did not show up in a box score.

That being said, Phoenix needs more on-the-court help for next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: