RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So which UConn team shows up tonight?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/04 11:14 am    ::: So which UConn team shows up tonight? Reply Reply with quote

and can Geno finally get comfortable with a lineup before Mich State comes in on Wednesday! I doubt it.

Tonight may be a blow out, but Wed.'s going to be a barnburner!

KatValeska

PostPosted: 12/27/04 12:41 pm    ::: Re: So which UConn team shows up tonight? Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
and can Geno finally get comfortable with a lineup before Mich State comes in on Wednesday! I doubt it.

Tonight may be a blow out, but Wed.'s going to be a barnburner!

Ah heck I dunno. Personally, I'm pretty tired of hearing about/discussing
UConn and Tennessee. There are already two ESPN boards dedicated almost exclusively to the discussion of such. Not to mention the Bioneyard and Summitt.

Seems to me that this year there are 50 or more teams worthy of discussion as well.

Hopefully, we've all seen our last UConn/tenn final and this will evenetually led to more fans from other programs to join our discussions.

BTW, I'm not knocking yer post - Just that time of year when I start growing tired of the same ol, same ol.

How about them Spiders? or Mountaineers?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/04 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a Husky fan, you'll get used to me Laughing .

Seriously, when nothing else is being posted, I'm just bored looking for something to talk about. Feel free to start another topic, I won't object.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 12/27/04 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Sorry I'm a Husky fan, you'll get used to me Laughing .

Seriously, when nothing else is being posted, I'm just bored looking for something to talk about. Feel free to start another topic, I won't object.

No problem w/ that. Not much else going on at the moment, anyway.

Anyway, I expect y'all will spank George Mason tonight, and I've a hunch you'll get by the Spartans on Wednesday. Were this game being played in Michigan, however, I'd have to give the nod to MSU.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/04 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only time I saw MSU was the Notre Dame game. Theylooked very strong in that game. Inside posts are brutal. I'm not as sure; UConn could easily struggle and lose that one. MSU can take just about anyone on any given day.

What a coaching job out there; for those unaware, first the Coach (who's name escapes me) took Maine to the top of the east with Cindy Blodgett, now is out at MSU and built a budding program.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 1:26 pm    ::: Re: So which UConn team shows up tonight? Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:

How about them Spiders? or Mountaineers?

How about 'em: Who knows, with those milksops, they call schedules, I couldn't judge them for anything, I have no idea if they are worth the milk they sopped those schedules in...

In all honesty, if they want to be taken seriously, they have got to do something about those schedules, WV in particular is pathetic.

Code:

Richmond:
Date      Opponent           Opp. RPI  Results 
11-20     SMS                5-4   62   91-71  W
11-23   @ Liberty            3-4   65   65-45  W
11-27   @ Virginia           7-3   58   66-57  W
12-01     Georgetown         4-4   72   62-50  W
12-05   @ VA Common          3-4  146   76-67  W
12-15     Howard             5-3  145  101-57  W
12-18     Sacred Heart       3-5  250   78-43  W
12-21   @ Florida            6-4   49   79-77  W

West Virginia
Date      Opponent           Opp.  RPI Results 
11-19     N.C. Greensboro    3-6   153  67-39  W
11-22     Northwestern       3-10  143  89-55  W
11-26   @ Wichita St.        3-6   192  61-40  W
11-27   @ Florida Intl.      8-2    80  58-49  W
12-04     Duquesne           3-5   159  74-54  W
12-07     St. Francis (PA)   2-6   141  74-68  W
12-11     Coppin St.         6-3    82  67-53  W
12-21   @ East Carolina      2-8   241  76-54  W

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/27/04 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't worry about WVU until conference play. Remember, UConn crossed the century mark against them last year.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/27/04 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richmond is ranked 6th in RPI...pretty good.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I won't worry about WVU until conference play. Remember, UConn crossed the century mark against them last year.

Yeah, Not overly impressed with WVU... Richmond seems better, but would be nice to see them try some top competition. The GW / Richmond games this year should be pretty good though.

Bummed: Just found out Massey is not going to publicly release game predictions this year:
http://www.mratings.com/rate/cbw-w.htm

( I was really looking forward to seeing how his results were comparing to mine, guess I'll just have to do that work myself Sad )... No Public Margin of Victory included rankings either Sad

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Yeah, Not overly impressed with WVU... Richmond seems better, but would be nice to see them try some top competition. The GW / Richmond games this year should be pretty good though.

Bummed: Just found out Massey is not going to publicly release game predictions this year:
http://www.mratings.com/rate/cbw-w.htm

( I was really looking forward to seeing how his results were comparing to mine, guess I'll just have to do that work myself Sad )... No Public Margin of Victory included rankings either Sad

Saw that also(about Massey), I meant to tell you, I wonder why he isn't doing it this year? Sagarin is keeping his ratings fairly well up to date, I did check on getting an rpiratings subscription, which was supposed to include the sagarin ratings with it, and it was 200+ dollars for about 16 or 17 weeks, figured it wasn't that big of a deal, and so far the Sagarin ratings have been kept up to date, at least they are normally updated weekly.

Did you see the rules for the RPI Challenge? did anybody understand them enough to even ask questions Wink

BeKnighted likes the Palm RPI ratings, but in my mind the others are purer, I'm not convinced Palm's RPI ratings are any better because of the way he calculates them, it just doesn't feel right to me, how's that for a resounding argument, logic be damned.

Reb

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Saw that also(about Massey), I meant to tell you, I wonder why he isn't doing it this year? Sagarin is keeping his ratings fairly well up to date, I did check on getting an rpiratings subscription, which was supposed to include the sagarin ratings with it, and it was 200+ dollars for about 16 or 17 weeks, figured it wasn't that big of a deal, and so far the Sagarin ratings have been kept up to date, at least they are normally updated weekly.

Did you see the rules for the RPI Challenge? did anybody understand them enough to even ask questions Wink

BeKnighted likes the Palm RPI ratings, but in my mind the others are purer, I'm not convinced Palm's RPI ratings are any better because of the way he calculates them, it just doesn't feel right to me, how's that for a resounding argument, logic be damned.

Reb

I like the layout of Palm's site, but RPI is pretty much RPI... as arbitrary a tool as it is, I don't worry too much about which version is more accurate.
As for the instructions: I read them, but I'm not sure I understand... here's my guess: The bonuses are all added in the conference tourney round. What I'm not super clear on is are the additional points added to your average point/game (like 3.68/game in the conference round would be bonused to 3.80 for 1st overall) or to potential points for each game? (like for the first place person from the overall first game would have the game picks be worth 4.12 instead of just 4 points)... It's a slight difference on the first round as they'll get .12 points as opposed to 75% (or whatever they end up successfully picking in the tournament round) of the .12...

If I read right that the secound round is added to RPI the above difference becomes more significant... as for most people the RPI success percentages are even lower.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
As for the instructions: I read them, but I'm not sure I understand... here's my guess: The bonuses are all added in the conference tourney round. What I'm not super clear on is are the additional points added to your average point/game (like 3.68/game in the conference round would be bonused to 3.80 for 1st overall) or to potential points for each game? (like for the first place person from the overall first game would have the game picks be worth 4.12 instead of just 4 points)... It's a slight difference on the first round as they'll get .12 points as opposed to 75% (or whatever they end up successfully picking in the tournament round) of the .12...

If I read right that the secound round is added to RPI the above difference becomes more significant... as for most people the RPI success percentages are even lower.

I don't know if it even makes sense, but the 1st half which concludes at the end of next week, the .12 and .1 will be added to whatever a win is worth in the conference Round. Your second half average per pick will determine what a win is worth in the conference round, if for instance you averaged 4.08 in the 2nd half, then in the conference round, any wins you gather will be worth 4.08 points, if I averaged 3.92 points in the 2nd half then my winning picks would only be worth 3.92 points for a win. Now if you win one of the conference tournaments contests or Top50 games or are the highest in one of the categories, in the 1st half, you get to add the bonus points on to the 4.08 average you carried for the 2nd half of the season. For instance if you won the Top50 contest in the 1st half and carried a 4.08 avg per pick in the 2nd half, then in the conference round your winning picks would be worth 4.20 points (4.08 + .12) ... you do gain a benefit for winning your division, but the main object would be to carry as high an average as you can in the 2nd half.

The winners of the 2nd half categories, will get to add the .12 and .1 to their RPI value, as it is now, you can risk 1 or 2 points on the RPI points(the spread) in the conference round, the winners of the 2nd half will get to add their bonus points to their RPI value(the amount you want to risk/bet on the game) so if you win the Top50 contest in the 2nd half, you will have the ability to risk 2.12 points on the games in the RPI portion...

I don't know how well it will work out, and I might change the way the points are distributed in the conf round for the RPI wagers possibly. as in I may make it non-fractional, as in you can wager/risk 3 points on 8 games (this would add up to the 8 bonus points you accumulated from winning one of the conferences or individual categories, the Top50 winner will get 10 extra points and would have the ability to risk 3 points in 10 contests in the conf round, of course it could backfire on you too, Wink and you can lose 3 points, but there will probably be some solid picks and it would be your main objective to not waste those bonus points.

And if its not clear, the scoring for the 2nd half/round whatever you want to call it, has the identical scoring as the 1st half contests, 4 for a win and 0,1 or 2 to risk on the RPI/spread part.

Last edited by rebkell on 12/28/04 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
KatValeska

PostPosted: 12/27/04 7:43 pm    ::: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

"How about 'em: Who knows, with those milksops, they call schedules, I couldn't judge them for anything, I have no idea if they are worth the milk they sopped those schedules in...

In all honesty, if they want to be taken seriously, they have got to do something about those schedules, WV in particular is pathetic."

Damg - have you been hangin' out w/ Voloptuous or something?

Richmond's RPI speaks for itself.

WVU's schedule ain't been great, but they have beaten the Red Flash and the Duchesses.

Believe me -I'm very much looking forward to the Mountaineer's game of MAGNITUDE against Boston College in a few days. Then we'll talk again, O.K.?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 8:07 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
"How about 'em: Who knows, with those milksops, they call schedules, I couldn't judge them for anything, I have no idea if they are worth the milk they sopped those schedules in...

In all honesty, if they want to be taken seriously, they have got to do something about those schedules, WV in particular is pathetic."

Damg - have you been hangin' out w/ Voloptuous or something?

Richmond's RPI speaks for itself.

WVU's schedule ain't been great, but they have beaten the Red Flash and the Duchesses.

Believe me -I'm very much looking forward to the Mountaineer's game of MAGNITUDE against Boston College in a few days. Then we'll talk again, O.K.?

Sure, I was worried, I would have been disappointed if you didn't come back guns ablazin, after that attack on your teams. Wink But, I still ain't impressed, sorry, but they got to play somebody that counts, otherwise they won't get any better, I do believe you gotta play the best to be the best, you don't have to make a steady diet, but you do have to have a few helpings shoved down your throat to appreciate the competition and go up to that next level, imho.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/04 8:26 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
How about 'em: Who knows, with those milksops, they call schedules, I couldn't judge them for anything, I have no idea if they are worth the milk they sopped those schedules in...

Richmond's isn't so bad. They beat SMS, who has been to the F4 more recently than anyone Tennessee has beaten, they have three wins over major conference foes (that's more than Tennessee, and two of them were on the road), and they thumped a Liberty team that decimated the Othercats.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 8:47 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:

Richmond's isn't so bad. They beat SMS, who has been to the F4 more recently than anyone Tennessee has beaten, they have three wins over major conference foes (that's more than Tennessee, and two of them were on the road), and they thumped a Liberty team that decimated the Othercats.

Oh please, give me a break, you are as full of it as anyone I've ever been around, you are the master manipulator of facts... do you believe half the crap you spew? or is it mostly to get a rise, because your logic is totally beyond belief, you think Richmond will be there when it counts? Of course you don't, you just like to argue with anyone on the net, you would rather spout off useless factoids, that have no bearing on the situation, if you can come up with anything negative, no matter how unrelated it is, you will.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/04 9:04 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Oh please, give me a break, you are as full of it as anyone I've ever been around, you are the master manipulator of facts... do you believe half the crap you spew? or is it mostly to get a rise, because your logic is totally beyond belief, you think Richmond will be there when it counts? Of course you don't, you just like to argue with anyone on the net, you would rather spout off useless factoids, that have no bearing on the situation, if you can come up with anything negative, no matter how unrelated it is, you will.

Methinks someone needs a mint.

I don't know whether Richmond will hold up in March. It happens every once in a while that a Xavier or a GW or somebody makes a little run. My guess would be that they'll be out by the end of round two, unless they get an especially good/bad draw. The only real questions for the Spiders (and everybody, really, at the end of December) are whether they've done enough to get in the tournament if they blow a game in the conference tournament and what kind of a seed will they get if they make it. The rest will be settled on the court.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 9:36 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Methinks someone needs a mint.

Zantac would probably work better, too much codeine, abscess tooth, been driving me over the edge... Wink

Of course, I still think Richmond needs to toughen up the schedule, I truly believe it will benefit them in the long run. If they would just can the Va. Commonwealths, Howards and Sacred Hearts(now that has got to be one tough outfit Wink

Mainly, because they have no control over their conference schedule and it will bring them way down in RPI land. I guess I've lived in Big Orange land too long, but I gotta believe a couple of losses to a Texas or a Tennessee or any of the normally top RPI teams won't hurt that much, and we both know RPI is based more on the schedule than anything, and if you want that special consideration, if you can manage a win over a major, it will go farther in getting consideration than a run over some semi decent teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/04 9:52 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Mainly, because they have no control over their conference schedule and it will bring them way down in RPI land. I guess I've lived in Big Orange land too long, but I gotta believe a couple of losses to a Texas or a Tennessee or any of the normally top RPI teams won't hurt that much, and we both know RPI is based more on the schedule than anything, and if you want that special consideration, if you can manage a win over a major, it will go farther in getting consideration than a run over some semi decent teams.

The A10 won't hurt them as much as some conferences would. They've got GW twice and Temple once, plus a game at Virginia Tech.

Scheduling perennial top 10 teams isn't easy. There aren't that many and they usually won't schedule a team that hasn't shown something. That having been said, they should toughen it up some. My general feeling is that any team that goes undefeated in non-con play either played too weak of a schedule or is so good that it doesn't matter who they play (like Tennessee in 97-98 or UConn in 01-02). I don't think Richmond belongs in the second category.

PostPosted: 12/27/04 9:57 pm    ::: Damg again RK Reply Reply with quote

Damn Rebkell.

You sure carry a bigger stick on the home turf than I'm used to seeing ya wield on the ESPN Board.

*thinks - hehe -but you'll need a bigger stick than that*

FWIW, I think pilight does as good a job as anyone when it comes to discussing hoops.

But he did forget to add that SMS played LSU tougher than anyone this side of Baylor.

I dunno how far Richmond will go - but I assure you those of us who are fans of teams that aren't Tennessee or UConn enjoy the rides every bit as much as y'all. Maybe not as long, but I'm sure just as much.

I think it was VW who had a really good post somewhere about how some fans may enjoy a season even if it doesn't end in a championship ring.

I'll remind you that Richmond did take out a decent SEC team on their home court. Rest assured I'll be paying very close attention to how y'all make out w/ the Gators.

Maybe you'd prefer it if I acted more like a Huskies fan? OMG -the Spiders are horrible! Had to go to double OT to beat Florida. I predict a 15-12 record...

No - no guns are blazin' yet. But I will start shining up those bullets.

BTW, does this qualify as a highjacking of a UConn thread?

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:05 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Scheduling perennial top 10 teams isn't easy. There aren't that many and they usually won't schedule a team that hasn't shown something. That having been said, they should toughen it up some. My general feeling is that any team that goes undefeated in non-con play either played too weak of a schedule or is so good that it doesn't matter who they play (like Tennessee in 97-98 or UConn in 01-02). I don't think Richmond belongs in the second category.

Yep, I agree. If you don't lose a game in Non-conference than you blew it scheduling (especially if you play in a weaker conference). You need to play a few teams that you aren't sure whether or not you'll beat them to really see how good you are or aren't as the case may be (and one of them will probably beat you).

Course sometimes that means if you have an off year early, for whatever reason, you can end up with a pretty ugly record pretty easily. But who plays the game to do well in the off years? (So far UCSB is tracking perfectly to my preseason worst-case scenario which if it continues means a loss at Long Beach State tomorrow, ending a 29 game winning streak over them)... then we'll get the easy games and hopefully still coast to 20 wins and the tournament bid Smile

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:05 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
rebkell wrote:

The A10 won't hurt them as much as some conferences would. They've got GW twice and Temple once, plus a game at Virginia Tech.

I agree about scheduling top 10 teams, it can't be done, everybody can't schedule them, there isn't enough to go around. I guess a lot of it is like the conversation on the ESPN board, about what are you satifisfied with, are you content to make the tourney and win a couple of games, maybe make a mini-run like you alluded to, or are you hungry for the Big time, if the latter, you really got to schedule the toughest you can imagine and that you can get, and I do believe you need your ass handed to you a few times before you can get to that next level, if that is your objective.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:13 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
I agree about scheduling top 10 teams, it can't be done, everybody can't schedule them, there isn't enough to go around. I guess a lot of it is like the conversation on the ESPN board, about what are you satifisfied with, are you content to make the tourney and win a couple of games, maybe make a mini-run like you alluded to, or are you hungry for the Big time, if the latter, you really got to schedule the toughest you can imagine and that you can get, and I do believe you need your ass handed to you a few times before you can get to that next level, if that is your objective.

Yep, Richmond has been on the upswing for a bit now and they are probably happy just taking another step, which is just making the tournament right? either that or they just didn't realize how good they'd be... As long as Richmond has the SB native Gil on the team, I hope they do well Smile

KatValeska

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:14 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

GD wrote:

"Yep, I agree. If you don't lose a game in Non-conference than you blew it scheduling (especially if you play in a weaker conference). You need to play a few teams that you aren't sure whether or not you'll beat them to really see how good you are or aren't as the case may be (and one of them will probably beat you)."

So basically what yer saying is the Red Flash are in better shape atm than WVU?

Maybe I don't think things out as much as y'all, but I'm sure enjoying WVU's season so far more than the Red Flash'.

It will be very interesting now to see how WVU's non-con schedule hurts or doesn't hurt them in Big East play.

Guess what I'm saying is maybe all this playin' big games in November and December stuff ain't all that important?

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 12/27/04 10:25 pm    ::: Re: RK- Spiders, WVU Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
So basically what yer saying is the Red Flash are in better shape atm than WVU?

Maybe I don't think things out as much as y'all, but I'm sure enjoying WVU's season so far more than the Red Flash'.

It will be very interesting now to see how WVU's non-con schedule hurts or doesn't hurt them in Big East play.

Guess what I'm saying is maybe all this playin' big games in November and December stuff ain't all that important?

Naw, that's not what I'm saying at all... all I'm saying is if you wen't unbeaten then you probably missed out on an opportunity to truly test yourself against your own caliber opponent... I'm not saying it precludes postseason play or anything of the sort. I'm saying you need to try and put a couple teams on the schedule (if possible) that you think you have a very very slim chance of beating so you can guage how far away you are and get a better idea of what you need to work on to get there. This is especially necessary if you have a conference that doesn't really give you much of a test after January 1. I'm saying I'd rather find out that there is still some things to work on against the tough teams in December than in March.

Gee, didn't some school go unbeaten in the regular season a few years ago only to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament? That can't be a good feeling. What school was that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: