RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Berkeley Final: Stanford vs. Iowa State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
So, will Stanford take out UConn again? Let the debate begin! Laughing

Hell to the no.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford's outside shooting sucks tonight. Hope they get it out of their systems before next weekend.

To be fair, it's hard to stay focused and locked in when one player is getting so many of the shots and points.

A similar thing happened to Vanderbilt in the NCAAs when Chantelle Anderson played there. Tennessee let Anderson get her shots and points, and I think she scored close to 40 points that night, but no one else got in the flow. I think the rest of the team combined for less than 30 points.

Last edited by njjosh on 03/30/09 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

46!!

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW ...

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford's outside shooting sucks tonight. Hope they get it out of their systems before next weekend.

Yep harmon and Pohlen definitely gotta shoot much better against uconn. Appel is not going to score 46 against the huskies.

CB

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very Happy Laughing Have to smile huge at Appel, she's so happy.

Appel, 46 points for #3 most points in a tournament game. Behind Swoopes at 47 in the 90s and Bauman(sp) at 50 points in the 80s.

Congrats Tara, Appel and Stanford!

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woo hoo! Congrats to Stanford!

They're so fun to watch!

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bricklayer wrote:

Yep harmon and Pohlen definitely gotta shoot much better against uconn. Appel is not going to score 46 against the huskies.

Its not Uconn yet. Very Happy

Jesse C

PostPosted: 03/30/09 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think Stanford is the only team with a chance at the Huskies. I know C. Paris would beg to differ, but I just don't see Ok hanging with them. And we know what UConn can do to 'Ville.

bricklayer

mekanos wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Its not Uconn yet. Very Happy

As much as i'd love for asu to win tomorrow, I'm not getting my hopes up for the devs. That'd make the upset sweeter Smile

NOLAbballgirl

Jayne Appel - you are my hero! Very Happy

National Championship baby! (even though I picked UCONN...Embarassed )

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesse C wrote:
I really think Stanford is the only team with a chance at the Huskies. I know C. Paris would beg to differ, but I just don't see Ok hanging with them. And we know what UConn can do to 'Ville.

What about Purdue?

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheesh no respect for Appel. How far into sportscenter do we have to go for Appel highlights? They've already shown louisville highlights.

mekanos

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bricklayer wrote:
Sheesh no respect for Appel. How far into sportscenter do we have to go for Appel highlights? They've already shown louisville highlights.

LOL ... they always run home before the end of Stanford's games.
You won't see Lawson & Co. analysis until tomorrow.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesse C wrote:

Agreed.

While Appel is certainly not going to be breaking any sprint records, she's at least able to run some. And Stanford has good, reliable guards.

Paris is pretty much useless in a full-court game, and for a player of her size she doesn't shoot a very high percentage from the field. And Oklahoma's guards are far less reliable, especially when it comes to protecting the ball.

Beating Oklahoma is a simple formula - get in their guards' grills and make Courtney Paris run a lot. Most Big 12 teams don't have the speed to do it, which is why Oklahoma has played so well in that league. But that certainly won't be the case for Oklahoma the rest of the way.

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mekanos wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Meh, those lazy east coasters can go to bed. But at least show us highlights! (still waiting ...) (although the guy who got in trouble by shooting himself in the leg was pretty funny)

slats-59's

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
ISU sucks.

No they don't. Stanford's just an awful matchup with them. ISU usually out-smarts teams, and it's not cliche to say the girls from Stanford are smart. It's just fact.

Ah, well. Still a great season for the Cyclones.

It's a shame Connecticut and Stanford will have to face each other in the semis again. That could easily be for the title. Hopefully they change the bracket some time soon.

Let's assume the Huskies beat ASU and OU makes it. I absolutely guarantee that the UConn-Stanford winner obliterates the OU-Louisville winner by 20 points at a naked minimum. Zero doubt in my mind.

NOLAbballgirl

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bricklayer wrote:
mekanos wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Meh, those lazy east coasters can go to bed. But at least show us highlights! (still waiting ...) (although the guy who got in trouble by shooting himself in the leg was pretty funny)

It's not even THAT late. Rolling Eyes Even the Oscars go past this time...

NOLAbballgirl

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

slats-59's wrote:
bullsky wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
ISU sucks.

No they don't. Stanford's just an awful matchup with them. ISU usually out-smarts teams, and it's not cliche to say the girls from Stanford are smart. It's just fact.

Ah, well. Still a great season for the Cyclones.

It's a shame Connecticut and Stanford will have to face each other in the semis again. That could easily be for the title. Hopefully they change the bracket some time soon.

Let's assume the Huskies beat ASU and OU makes it. I absolutely guarantee that the UConn-Stanford winner obliterates the OU-Louisville winner by 20 points at a naked minimum. Zero doubt in my mind.

X___________
Yeah, I'm feeling that action too.

slats-59's

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:

As a UConn fan, I seriously fear Stanford. None of their other potential opponents have a prayer of beating them, but the Huskies will have to play confident and play their best to beat Stanford.

I think this Huskies team and this Stanford team both would have beaten the Parker-Anosike Vols from last year.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So last season was an unforgettable one. Wiggins seemed to be a lightning rod that sparked her team to play absolutely unbelievable basketball. Stanford was one of the most exciting and viewer-friendly teams to watch the entire tournament, and they had a face with a smile bigger than any other.

This season, you won't see smiles on the court. Not many anyhow. The demeanor of Stanford has changed, but the beauty of their game and their strategy has not. With Jeanette, Jayne, Jill, Jayla, Joslyn, Jeka, and Jindy there is a passion for defense and for making life a living hell for their opponents. Stanford has down right demoralized opponents with their relentless defense. Stanford also appears to be the deepest 8 player team in the country with Tara remaining incredibly mindful of match ups and giving the big minutes to the right people.

The smile, this season, comes at the end of the game, and today you could see the stoic Pedersen, the bulldog Pohlen, and the bully Appel smile with a sense of complete joy Stanford fans came to expect from Wiggins on court. But this is just a sense of the difference between this season's Cardinal and last season's team. While in 08, there was much to prove, there was a sense that no matter what happened in the tournament, the career of Candice Wiggins would go down in the record books, an absolute monster of a star and All-American from her first day at Stanford.

In 09, however, adversity set in, and helped develop the fierce mentality the team called upon to start beating up on opponents. First, the season begins with a sub-100% Jayne Appel, the player expected to carry the team on her broad and capable shoulders from day one. Next, JJ Hones, perhaps the best floor commander in the country, goes out for the season with an ACL injury that has become all too familiar within the Stanford family. Then, the team endures one of the most difficult schedules in the country, battling Rutgers, Duke, Purdue, Iowa State, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Baylor to name just a few.

Injuries, on-court battles, and the graduation of perhaps the greatest Stanford Cardinal in history just could not stop what has turned into the next generation of Stanford excellence, and a team that is changing the shape and size of women's basketball.

Four years ago, Jillian Harmon never would have imagined that her key position was as a 2 guard who had the green light to shoot the three on a consistent basis. Last season, while Kayla Pedersen showed flashes of the skill set that eventually turned her into the starting wing at Stanford, she also was met with some critics who said she was too slow and wasn't ready for the college game - boy were they wrong. In October, Jeanette Pohlen was worried about how she would replace the offense of one of the most dynamic scorers in the history of the collegiate game, and in December she was trying to figure out how she could replace one of the most steady point guard options in Maples since Jen Azzi. Three years ago, Rosalyn Gold-Onwude looked to be the point guard of promise before an ACL took her down, and now she has emerged as a defensive stopper and a three point shooter who has come up huge down the stretch of what was at one point slated to be her senior season.

The Cardinal now start 5 players over six foot, a feat no WNBA team accomplishes. Still, they win games by beating teams down the court, stifling perimeter shooting, but of course owning the glass. The deceptive speed of Pohlen, the ability to do anything and everything of Harmon, the defense and surprising ball-control of Pedersen, the Wiggins-esque joy of Ogwumike, and the absolute stardom of Appel have created a team that Tara calls a bunch of cogs.

Stanford Cardinal - thank you, again, for an incredibly memorable season. Thank you to FSN to doing a tremendous job documenting it. Thank you to Tara for orchestrating it, in a way only Tara could.

Now, you special team, let's go do something even more special. Let's win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not even ready to right okie into the final four yet. Malone can be a pesky defender and wisdom-hylton and Campbell can bang with the sooners inside. Rayburn's a game changer off the bench and with howell gives them a serious outside threat. And kiki freeman went off against rutgers - something I didn't expect from what I've seen of purdue this year. I'm even taking vacation again tomorrow expecting that to be a good game!

bricklayer

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

great post, eyevolley, and LOL at the j's!

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

slats-59's wrote:
njjosh wrote:

As a UConn fan, I seriously fear Stanford. None of their other potential opponents have a prayer of beating them, but the Huskies will have to play confident and play their best to beat Stanford.

I think this Huskies team and this Stanford team both would have beaten the Parker-Anosike Vols from last year.

The biggest thing Stanford has going for it is that you know it won't be intimidated because it beat UConn last year. Yes, both teams are slightly different now. But UConn (and Tennessee too, for that matter) wins a lot of games before they start because the other side sees the famous uniform and soils itself (only figuratively, I hope!!! Laughing ) Or UConn goes on a run and the other team says "oh s&%t, here we go again," and a winnable game gets away.

Had Maryland not crapped the bed itself tonight, I would have had a similar feeling about them because Coleman, Tolliver and Frese won a championship. Of course, I would have also said that they would have to play far better defense to have a shot.

slats-59's

PostPosted: 03/30/09 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jesse C wrote:

What about Purdue?

Um, no.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: