RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

EuroBasket Qualifying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/05/09 3:15 am    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

Round-robin play for the final two spots in EuroBasket 2009 began on Sunday, with the winners of this month's three-team pools advancing to Latvia in June. Croatia routed a Wauters- and Wambe-less Belgian side, while Ukraine took immediate control of Group A by winning on the road despite 19 points from recently-minted Bulgarian Noelle Quinn.

Group A

Ukraine 81, Bulgaria 76
BUL: Quinn 19, Branzova-Erdenay 18, Slavtcheva 15
UKR: Gorbunova 22, Biryuk 16, Dubrovina 10

Group B

Croatia 103, Belgium 81
CRO: Lelas 23, Jelavic 19, Vrsaljko 16
BEL: Leemans 29, Van Malderen 17, Michiels 10

Remaining Schedule:

Wednesday, Jan. 7
Group A -- Germany at Ukraine
Group B -- Italy at Belgium

Saturday, Jan. 10
Group A -- Bulgaria at Germany
Group B -- Croatia at Italy

Tuesday, Jan. 13
Group A -- Bulgaria at Ukraine
Group B -- Croatia at Belgium

Friday, Jan. 16
Group A -- Ukraine at Germany
Group B -- Belgium at Italy

Monday, Jan. 19
Group A -- Germany at Bulgaria
Group B -- Italy at Croatia

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/05/09 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Croatia routed a Wauters- and Wambe-less Belgian side, while Ukraine took immediate control of Group A by winning on the road despite 19 points from recently-minted Bulgarian Noelle Quinn.

When did this happen?? Is it a similar situation to what happened with Becky Hammon, as part of her contract she became a Bulgarian citizen?[/b]

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/05/09 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the hell? The most random thing I've heard in weeks.

Last edited by bullsky on 01/05/09 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/05/09 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy! Your girls won today! Congrats

PostPosted: 01/05/09 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Richyyy! Your girls won today! Congrats

Very Happy . The game was yesterday actually, but yeah, could be a big win for us on the road. Especially impressive considering we're missing several important players and were down 27-13 in the first quarter.

As for Noelle Quinn being Bulgarian, that's bizarre. I would presume there's some heritage link there, seeing as they're unlikely to spend big on women's basketball and I don't think she's ever played club basketball there either. If they've got decent coaches/administrators, most smaller European countries look for Americans with links to their country to naturalise (rather than just random top players they can buy like the Russians). Kim Butler top-scored for us yesterday, for example Smile.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/05/09 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

As for Noelle Quinn being Bulgarian, that's bizarre. I would presume there's some heritage link there, seeing as they're unlikely to spend big on women's basketball and I don't think she's ever played club basketball there either. If they've got decent coaches/administrators, most smaller European countries look for Americans with links to their country to naturalise (rather than just random top players they can buy like the Russians). Kim Butler top-scored for us yesterday, for example Smile.

that's true, for some reason I thought she was playing in Bulgaria when I asked the part about it being in the contract, but she is playing in Lithuania. I wonder if she is some part Bulgarian, or how she came about to be a part of the Bulgarian national team. Anyway good luck to her and the rest of the Bulgarian team in this tournament

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/07/09 6:30 pm    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

A pair of blowout wins on Wednesday, with Olexandra Gorbunova scoring 15 of her 20 points in the first quarter as Ukraine cruised past Germany. Meanwhile, Italy dropped Belgium to 0-2 behind Simona Ballardini's 17 points and seven assists.

Group A

Ukraine 73, Germany 47
UKR: Gorbunova 20, Zherzherunova 13, Ogorodnikova 12
GER: Bär 21, Koop 5, Barnert 4

Group B

Italy 81, Belgium 69
BEL: Van Malderen 21, Dubuc 14, Leemans 14
ITA: Ballardini 17, Macchi 12, Ress 12 (Masciadri 10)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/07/09 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and GB blew out Bosnia 91-58 to go to 2-0 in the Relegation Group. Y'know, just in case anyone cares Very Happy.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/09/09 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if Bulgaria were to qualify for EuroBasket, would Noelle Quinn miss part of the WNBA season?

eurobasket

PostPosted: 01/09/09 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really do not believe that Bulgaria will qualify. They lost at home to Ukraine in the first game and I cannot see them beating Ukraine on the road.

All the same Bulgaria and Germany play tomorrow.

However if Bulgaria qualify then I would expect that Noelle Quinn would play at EuroBasket, otherwise why would she play for Bulgaria.

She does not get anything extra for playing for Bulgaria except freedom to move around the 27 countries that make up the European Community.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/09/09 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eurobasket wrote:
I really do not believe that Bulgaria will qualify. They lost at home to Ukraine in the first game and I cannot see them beating Ukraine on the road.

All the same Bulgaria and Germany play tomorrow.

However if Bulgaria qualify then I would expect that Noelle Quinn would play at EuroBasket, otherwise why would she play for Bulgaria.

She does not get anything extra for playing for Bulgaria except freedom to move around the 27 countries that make up the European Community.

thanks, since Bulgaria had lost the 2 previous games I didn't think they would advance, but I just asked in the slight chance they did advance

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/10/09 6:10 pm    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

Italy took control of Group B on Saturday, routing Croatia in Venice as six players reached double figures. Meanwhile, Alexandra Müller's 16 points helped Germany keep its hopes alive with a win over visiting Bulgaria.

Group A

Germany 68, Bulgaria 60
GER: Müller 16, Gläser 12, Koop 11
BUL: Quinn 22, Slavtcheva 19, Kostova 7

Group B

Italy 83, Croatia 50
ITA: Ballardini 14, Sottana 14, Zanon 12 (Masciadri 11, Ress 10, Macchi 3)
CRO: Ivezic 12, Lelas 8, Vrsaljko 8

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/13/09 6:14 pm    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

Ukraine and Italy have hammerlocks on their respective groups following Tuesday's results. Olexandra Gorbunova fired in 32 points as Ukraine won its third in a row, while Belgium received 24 points and eight assists from Sara Leemans to avenge its opening-game loss to Croatia.

Group A

Ukraine 67, Bulgaria 61
UKR: Gorbunova 32, Dubrovina 13, Zherzherunova 12
BUL: Quinn 16, Perostiyska 10, Branzova-Erdenay 8 (Slavtcheva 2)

Group B

Belgium 86, Croatia 75
BEL: Leemans 24, Dubuc 20, Hendrickx 11
CRO: Jelavic 16, Lelas 15, Cakic 14

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/17/09 6:21 am    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

Ukraine and Italy buttoned down their respective groups on Friday, completing the 16-team field for June's tournament in Latvia. Simona Ballardini and Raffaella Masciadri scored 18 points apiece as Italy remained unbeaten, while Romy Bär's game-winning three-pointer wasn't enough to prevent Germany from being eliminated on differential.

Group A

Germany 48, Ukraine 45
GER: Bär 17, Bavendam 7, Koop 7
UKR: Zherzherunova 19, Biryuk 8, Gorbunova 7

Group B

Italy 75, Belgium 64
ITA: Ballardini 18, Masciadri 18, Macchi 8
BEL: Van Malderen 15, Leemans 13, Hendrickx 11

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/17/09 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Italy and Ukraine for advancing to EuroBasket.

So I guess that means Raffaella Masciadri is out for the first part of the WNBA season, if she was playing to return to the team at all in 2009 that is

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/17/09 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Congrats to Italy and Ukraine for advancing to EuroBasket.

So I guess that means Raffaella Masciadri is out for the first part of the WNBA season, if she was playing to return to the team at all in 2009 that is

Yeah, she'll be done quickly though. Italy won't make it pass the first round.

PostPosted: 01/19/09 7:18 pm    ::: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

Monday's academic finales saw Group B winner Italy suffer its first loss and Bulgaria end a three-game losing streak. Meanwhile, the Relegation pool saw Romania and Finland emerge victorious, putting a crimp in Great Britain's hopes for participating in the 2012 Olympics.

Group A

Bulgaria 67, Germany 66
BUL: Quinn 16, Branzova-Erdenay 15, Kostova 11 (Slavtcheva 9)
GER: Mersch 13, Austmann 11, Bär 10, Bavendam 10

Group B

Croatia 75, Italy 64
CRO: Lelas 19, Ivezic 15, Ivankovic 11
ITA: Ballardini 17, Pastore 9, Nadalin 8 (Masciadri 5, Macchi 4)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/19/09 8:20 pm    ::: Re: EuroBasket Qualifying Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Meanwhile, the Relegation pool saw Romania and Finland emerge victorious, putting a crimp in Great Britain's hopes for participating in the 2012 Olympics.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Crying or Very sad .

We were right in it as well. 3-point game with a minute left. Key losses were the home games against Romania and especially Finland last week though. Take care of business in either of those and today's game in Romania would've been moot.

Bah.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/19/09 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
Meanwhile, the Relegation pool saw Romania and Finland emerge victorious, putting a crimp in Great Britain's hopes for participating in the 2012 Olympics.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Crying or Very sad .

We were right in it as well. 3-point game with a minute left. Key losses were the home games against Romania and especially Finland last week though. Take care of business in either of those and today's game in Romania would've been moot.

Bah.

that sucks, hopefully Great Britain continues to work so they can play in the Olympics in front of their country.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/20/09 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could somebody please remind me what the requirements are for Great Britain to be eligible to compete in the Olympics? Or is it one of those discretional things?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/20/09 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Could somebody please remind me what the requirements are for Great Britain to be eligible to compete in the Olympics? Or is it one of those discretional things?

It's basically whether FIBA let us or not. Australia, Greece and China all qualified automatically for recent Olympics without any question or argument, but because we've been so wretched in recent times they wanted us to show at least a certain level of competence before allowing us to have that 'automatic' spot. It's also complicated slightly by a history of playing in international competition as England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (but mostly it's the wretchedness).

That expected level of competence was generally thought to be getting into and staying in Division A of European qualifying (although I'm not sure FIBA have ever actually specified that). Our men and women both successfully got promoted into Division A, but from there it went rather differently - the men qualified for EuroBasket for the first time in over 20 years; the women got relegated back to Division B.

So just at the minute, it looks like there might well be an extra spot available at the women's tournament in 2012 Sad. But as it's FIBA, that might still change.

bahanee

PostPosted: 01/20/09 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so it will be as great britain right, just like in football, I'm actually looking forward to watching football during the London Games, watching GB and not England , Wales , scotland and Ireland ... hope the basketball team makes it too..

It takes more than skill to play for the DETROIT SHOCK, it takes attitude and heart...
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/20/09 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any of our teams taking part in the Olympics in any sport has to be as Great Britain, yes. The football team may well end up pretty much being England in a Great Britain strip though, because the other national federations are worried about losing their independence in the future if they agreed to being part of a GB team in the Olympics.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/20/09 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

since the men have qualified for EuroBasket will they get their automatic bid or do they still have to prove themselves also?

eurobasket

PostPosted: 01/20/09 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

officially nothing is certain for Great Britain Basketball for the men or women.

The men have qualified for the finals in EuroBasket 2009 and who knows may qualify for the world championships.

I cannot seeing anybody keeping this team out of the Olympics

For the Women it has been difficult ride. In the summer if were the only team not to win a single match at home. If they had managed they would have avoided the relegation round.

Once again close losses at home see them finishing in third place. The one thing about the GB women is they keep everybody on the feet as most of their games have gone to the last quarter. They just need to learn as a group to close game out.

I believe that they will improve and will not bring down the standard of Basketball in the Olympics so they should be allowed to play in the Olympics as hosts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: