RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA's Only Mormon Shooting For the Sky
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 01/19/09 2:40 am    ::: WNBA's Only Mormon Shooting For the Sky Reply Reply with quote

WNBA's only Mormon shooting for the Sky
By Amy Donaldson
Deseret News
Monday, Jan. 19, 2009

Quote:
OREM, Utah -- Erin Thorn knows her life isn't for everyone.

The former BYU star admits being a professional basketball player brings unique challenges to a person's life.

Drafted in the second round by the New York Liberty, Thorn is the only member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Women's National Basketball Association.

I always wondered how she dealt with this. The article also confirms that she wants to coach, which most of us knew, I guess.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/19/09 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I'm sure she'll get a nice round of applause in Sacto and LA when they play them. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/19/09 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin is a great example for her church! FWIW, I recall Kristen Rasmussen is LDS as well...

petrel

PostPosted: 01/19/09 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting quote from the article:

Thorn isn't worried about the solvency of the league, although it recently sent a memo saying there wouldn't be some player bonuses this year.

I wonder which bonuses they are. I know that there are end of the year bonuses that come for making the All-Star team or being Rookie of the Year and the like. But those bonuses can't be reduced without renegotiating the CBA - these are the Merit Bonuses on page 77. So what bonuses are they?

caune

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:

Thorn isn't worried about the solvency of the league, although it recently sent a memo saying there wouldn't be some player bonuses this year.

I wonder which bonuses they are. I know that there are end of the year bonuses that come for making the All-Star team or being Rookie of the Year and the like. But those bonuses can't be reduced without renegotiating the CBA - these are the Merit Bonuses on page 77. So what bonuses are they?

Bonuses like seats on the plane, bathrooms in their apartments and seat belts in their cars Laughing just little things Wink

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've known this for years...and well NY started the Mormon Movement she shouldnt have been TOO out of place...and well yes...her modesty about her faith is very well appreciated...She got hated on enough because she just happened to be straight, white and of a strong faith school.

But she knows her role and never crossed the line Feenstra, Crossley and Spencer have crossed. She is a credit and really made me re think my past prejudices about Mormons.

She is a great woman and I still say that any institution of faith (i'd KILL to have her at Seton Hall), in any sect, should strongly consider her as a coach. She is worth every penny. She can coach, she knows basketball, she knows how to develop woman, and yes she knows god without being hateful or beating people over the head with it.

I miss her not as a player, I'll be blunt, her value was NEVER as a player.

But as a leader, and a strong woman of good character...we lost a good one...She needed to go...it would be spendthrift to keep her and for the character angle we have Carson...but Still...all those Erin haters really need to put this in their pipes and smoke it. And don't be shocked if we struggle early with the lack of veteran leadership...first farris, now erin...there IS value in the "Clubhouse person" Carson needs to step up into this role more than any other. If not her, Battle, do not think anyone else is fit for that role but I don't know everyone off the court.

As an aside...and this is a small knock at SOME gay fans...why did this seem as odd as Sue and Van Gorp coming out of the closet. I knew she was mormon 100% confirmed when she brought up her diet habits. My grandma knew she was mormon just from the way she dressed and presented herself when she first joined the team...So yeah, gay fans...it works both ways...you shouldnt scare people to hide their faith...C'mon, it is as classless as some of the ways the fundies carry on!

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
petrel wrote:

Bonuses like seats on the plane, bathrooms in their apartments and seat belts in their cars Laughing just little things Wink

It reminds me of someone talking about working with B-Movie director Roger Corman. One of the actors asked for a water break. Corman replied, "we can't afford water." Very Happy

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
caune wrote:
petrel wrote:

It reminds me of someone talking about working with B-Movie director Roger Corman. One of the actors asked for a water break. Corman replied, "we can't afford water." Very Happy

Easy there, we aren't quite the WUSA...yet (Sorry, urban legend is that in the final season players brought their own gatorade cuz the WUSA lost their deal and were going with straight water. I know for a FACT I saw charge players mixing Crystal Light at the water fountain before games Razz )

PostPosted: 01/19/09 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Well, I'm sure she'll get a nice round of applause in Sacto and LA when they play them. Rolling Eyes

You mean Phoenix. We don't have any Mormons here in LA. Very Happy

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
braveniler58

PostPosted: 01/19/09 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

We definitely don't have any Mormons here in Phoenix either. Wink Laughing

PostPosted: 01/19/09 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

No way - it's been said for years that they are in Utah and slime into Arizona. Maybe that's just the northern part.

- Run-DMC
caune

PostPosted: 01/19/09 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Our Morman Merc fans are progressive and the bestest folks you'd ever want to know!

PostPosted: 01/19/09 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

But she knows her role and never crossed the line Feenstra, Crossley and Spencer have crossed. She is a credit and really made me re think my past prejudices about Mormons.

Okay I guess I'm out of the loop because I tend not to give a rat's patootie about this type of discussion, but what line are you talking about with Feenstra, Crossley and Spencer?

Quote:

But as a leader, and a strong woman of good character

You can be a man or woman of good character without being necessarily religious.
GEF34

PostPosted: 01/19/09 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

there are Mormons in LA, but I don't know if they go to Sparks games

BCBG25

PostPosted: 01/19/09 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Well, I know it's not fair to say this, but what I meant is that her Church had a major role in passing Proposition 8 and knowing the makeup of WNBA crowds, well, that's what I meant. Not that she should be to blame, but her affiliation is the Mormon's church and they suck.

PostPosted: 01/19/09 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! LOL!!! Do Mormons go door to door anymore? As for not having Mormons in LA, I doubt it. They're everywhere. There's plenty of them, even in PR!! Seriously!

Plus, I LOVE BCBG's avatar!!! LOL!!!!

Quote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Not that she should be to blame, but her affiliation is the Mormon's church and they suck.

PostPosted: 01/19/09 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Sass wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

Well, I know it's not fair to say this, but what I meant is that her Church had a major role in passing Proposition 8 and knowing the makeup of WNBA crowds, well, that's what I meant. Not that she should be to blame, but her affiliation is the Mormon's church and they suck.

Word to the mother.

- Run-DMC
shrrew

PostPosted: 01/19/09 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Word to the mother.

Shocked You are Vanilla Ice in real life?

PostPosted: 01/19/09 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
Sass wrote:

Word to the mother.

Shocked You are Vanilla Ice in real life?

No, no - Bel Biv DeVoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zuavRzx9U

Laughing

- Run-DMC
BallState1984

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gee, I love how some of us are so tolerant and respectful of other's differences here.

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Erin, I don't get caught up on who is what religion.

PostPosted: 01/20/09 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, there are differences and there's messin' with people's rights. (And I don't see anyone being intolerant of Erin's faith, just her supervising institution.)

And, just because an institution acts a certain way doesn't mean the people beneath its blanket think that way. (Note her willingness to play on Sundays)

Mormon Church used to think black people sucked, too. Then it because financially inconvenient, so they got a missive from on high. Funny how that works.

Would be nice if they'd get another missive right quick, but money is really the way to move institutions like that.

PostPosted: 01/20/09 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
petrel wrote:

What! No bathroom in the player's apartment? Well, that's a dealbreaker! Razz

PostPosted: 01/20/09 4:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once that supervising institution realizes there's money to be made off the people who are whacked over the head by Prop. 8, you think they'll change their stance? Not likely. Even the WNBA seems to have a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" mentality. The WNBA is more than ecstatic to have the All-American All-Star girl-next-door poster girl in Parker. So what if she's pregnant. She's pregnant and MARRIED TO A GUY. Yeah, they're happy with that.

As for Thorn, I'm glad she's able to buck the Mormon system (playing on Sundays) and follow her passion for basketball. Look at what Price had to do in her youth to play basketball. The skorts story is, pardon the pun, priceless.

Where can I find the current league contract for the players online?

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/20/09 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
I like Erin, I don't get caught up on who is what religion.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: