RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

League expansion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 01/15/09 2:58 pm    ::: League expansion Reply Reply with quote

Considering the current economy, does anyone else think the league is jumping the gun a little? I mean the old WUSA never expanded and look what happened. The league is already targeting Dallas, Philadelphia & Atlanta for 2010 with the possibility of expanding the league to 12 teams for the 2011 season. Thoughts??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/15/09 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the cities they're "targetting" have already come forth with money and support, so I don't think it's like they're throwing all their money in a bucket and hoping it works.

PostPosted: 01/19/09 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
I think the cities they're "targetting" have already come forth with money and support, so I don't think it's like they're throwing all their money in a bucket and hoping it works.

I'm looking forward to women's soccer returning to Philly. Smile The old Philadelphia Charge used to play up at Villanova Stadium (about an hour from home). They had a pretty good team with Jenny Benson and Heather Mitts playing defense, Lorrie Fair in the midfield, and Marinette Pichon at forward (Pichon was a dynamic player!). I'm hoping some of the Charge players play for the new Philly team. Smile
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 01/19/09 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used to commute 2 hours every weekend to see the Charge...it's where Pia got discovered as a coach and they were the anti establishment team of the WUSA (I remember Kirkorian benching his founders in the opener just to prove a point)...Dunno if I'd do THAT again but they had some dedicated fans (Hey Mattin, I was the guy in the ski cap and scarf and "welcome to charge country" sign in those days FYI) We also had a group who went to every game, home and away...they are dedicated and should have had a charter franchise....With the NY/NJ team in New Brunswick it may water it down a little...but Philly is a strong market and the only WUSA team to grow their attendance every year...yeah we could have kept going, EASY.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: