Holt/turner
whitmore/raymond
jones/gruda

1st rd pick
FA?

lots of work to do here--lots!

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/14/09 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

since Jamie Carey is on a training camp contract again, will she be able to make the roster with the new setup of 11 players?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/09 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen/Carey
Phillips/Jekobsene
Holt/Gardin/[maybe Turner]
Whitmore/[?]
Jones/Gruda

Maybe one of Phillips/holt/Gardin gets traded for a Big. Swanier and Williams don't make the shortened roster. I think Abrosimova is gone but if she stays, Turner is for sure gone. seattle might be happy to have her again.

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Whalen/Carey
Phillips/Jekobsene
Holt/Gardin/[maybe Turner]
Whitmore/[?]
Jones/Gruda

Maybe one of Phillips/holt/Gardin gets traded for a Big. Swanier and Williams don't make the shortened roster. I think Abrosimova is gone but if she stays, Turner is for sure gone. seattle might be happy to have her again.

Pretty much agreed. Svet was really useful at some points during the playoffs, and at other times really... not.

I'd rather keep Phillips than Holt or Gardin, and between those two I'd want to know what they learned over the winter -- which obviously we won't have the privilege of seeing ourselves -- but I'm sure there's probably more bargaining power in Phillips or Holt. But really, I think Erin still has room to develop, and I want to see more of her and Whalen on the court together.

As far as Carey or Swanier, I think they are evenly matched to an extent. Carey has the experience with Coach T's system and with the league in general, but she plays at a very slow and even tempo a lot of the time. Swanier really pushes the tempo -- almost too much at times -- and it'd be nice to have that option in a point guard without having to keep Lindsay in the game. Phillips can handle point too, but she moves at a pace somewhere in between those two, and her ball handling isn't as solid. (Not bad, just very average for a point guard.)

PostPosted: 01/14/09 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen/Carey
Jekabsone/Phillips
Holt/Turner/Gardin
Jones/Ervin
Whitmore/Gruda

eye510

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a little surprised that thibault is going to do the "add a late starter again scenario" as he did last season with svet,

it seemed to screw up their chemistry down the stretch--maybe cost them the east championship

if the sun dont want jamie carey im sure there are other wnba teams that could use her as a backup, seattle?

swinfan8187

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well i would take swanier over carey anyday. sure ketia does not have the experience but i would rather have a PG who can play fast as well as under control. id rather have a more athletic PG than less athletic. it helps that swanier is cheaper, younger, and a UConn alum.

oh and i really doubt that a 8-10 ppg scorer and energy player.. and again, uconn alum, will be cut

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eye510 wrote:
a little surprised that thibault is going to do the "add a late starter again scenario" as he did last season with svet,

it seemed to screw up their chemistry down the stretch--maybe cost them the east championship

The season starts June 6 and EuroBasket ends around June 20, so Jekabsone would only miss the first three weeks or so of the season.

eye510 wrote:
if the sun dont want jamie carey im sure there are other wnba teams that could use her as a backup, seattle?

That's what I've been thinking, too. I wonder why she even bothered fooling around with the Sun in the first place. Connecticut knows they screwed up by taking Swanier, and now they've got to show that somehow she was actually the 12th best player in this class. More politics.

On Jim Fuller's blog, he writes that Barb Turner is negotiating a contract extension with the Sun. I'd expect to see her back with the team in 2009.

eye510

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i prefer carey to swanier;

still think jekabosone's aquisiton is a risk; could be disruptive to holt-gardin-turner-phillips, can she speak any english?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eye510 wrote:
i prefer carey to swanier;

Me too. She can actually run a team, and her 3-point shot is an added bonus.

eye510 wrote:
still think jekabosone's aquisiton is a risk; could be disruptive to holt-gardin-turner-phillips, can she speak any english?

I think she can speak enough English to communicate on the court.

I'm not convinced that either Holt or Gardin (both college power forwards) is a full-time wing in the WNBA in 2009. I think Holt as more upside than Gardin (who was lucky to catch on last year), but neither is worth starting ahead of an Olympian. Presumably, Phillips would work her way from starting SG with few back-up PG minutes to full-time back-up PG once Anete arrives.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I've said it before, but really, I can't see how or why Holt, Gardin and Turner all make the same 11-player roster. They're all undersized power forwards who've had to become wings at this level, and they all do the same stuff with decidedly minor differences. When you're only allowed 11 players, diversity is going to be important. That's both diversity across the roster - i.e. a mix of players who offer different options - and players who offer diversity as individuals - i.e. extra value placed on players who can legitimately play multiple positions.

For all her many deficiencies, even re-signing a veteran post like Tamika Raymond would be more worthwhile than carrying all three of Holt/Turner/Gardin.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/14/09 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Holt markedly over the other two. Holt is more fluid than either Turner or Gardin and is much more comfortable handling the ball in open space. She is also an intelligent player on both ends of the court. She makes good decisions and is a smart passer, particularly for a first-year player.

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 01/14/09 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eye510 wrote:

Woah woah woah. Are you suggesting that that Seattle would add a back-up point guard to their roster with the intention of playing her while Wright still has two good legs to stand on? What madness is this!

PostPosted: 01/14/09 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woah woah woa. Are you suggesting that Seattle would add a back-up point guard to their roster?

That's about all you needed to say. Wink

sportsfanswhine

PostPosted: 01/14/09 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
Woah woah woa. Are you suggesting that Seattle would add a back-up point guard to their roster?

That's about all you needed to say. Wink

Laughing

They did sign Beck last year. Twice even, if I recall.

Average though she might be, I can't imagine what could have possibly made her appear to be a worse ball handler than Tanisha Wright in Agler's eyes. She must have called him names at practice or something.

PostPosted: 01/15/09 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pee wee would be a good backup for sue; played for agler; can defend,

Roofpage

PostPosted: 01/16/09 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG : Whalen / Phillips
SG : Jekabsone / Holt
SF : Abrosimova / Gardin / Turner
PF : Jones / Whitmore
C : ??? / Gruda

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/16/09 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eye510 wrote:
still think jekabosone's aquisiton is a risk; could be disruptive to holt-gardin-turner-phillips

Disruptive to three borderline WNBA players and somebody who should really be playing the point? I see little downside risk in Connecticut taking on a legit 2 guard.
appletree

PostPosted: 01/16/09 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wasnt svet a legit 2 guard when they added her to the roster after the olympics?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/16/09 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Gardin's gone. She can defend but Holt and Turner are both better than her. And either Carey or Swanier are gone. And if I'm Jamie Carey, I'd be a little pissed I was only offered a training camp contract AGAIN. She'd make a great backup in Seattle. Ticha could use a decent backup as well.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/16/09 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
I think Gardin's gone. She can defend but Holt and Turner are both better than her. And either Carey or Swanier are gone. And if I'm Jamie Carey, I'd be a little pissed I was only offered a training camp contract AGAIN. She'd make a great backup in Seattle. Ticha could use a decent backup as well.

Shit, she's better than any PG option Washington has at this point.

PostPosted: 01/16/09 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:

I agree about Carey. I'm surprised she's not shopping if CT keeps wanting to make her a contingency. While Phillips is good, she's an Aussie, meaning that every year you have to wait to see if she's going to decide to play that year. Gardin could definitely find a nice home in Chicago...or Washington.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 01/16/09 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thibault said him and Sienko sent an offer to Raymond to see what she wanted to do. She has not responded yet most likely because of her coaching commitments. Why would they want to take her back and keep her over Ervin? I mean she was great for the veteran stuff, but with only 11 people, we need all the talent we can get.

Maybe it will go...

Whalen/Carey
Jekabsone/Holt
Turner
Jones/Ervin/Raymond
Whitmore/Gruda

If I were Thibault and had the lineup above, I could/would start Whit at 3 and Gruda at 5.

appletree

PostPosted: 01/16/09 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we would all love to see whit try to guard christian, catchings, price, ksmith, currie, !!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/16/09 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

appletree wrote:
we would all love to see whit try to guard christian, catchings, price, ksmith, currie, !!

It's called zone defense Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: