RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ann Meyers Says: Poor San Antonio...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/17/04 1:18 pm    ::: Ann Meyers Says: Poor San Antonio... Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not know what are the real rumors or not, but it would not surprise me to see several teams pull off some trades in the next few months. In the first few years, it was difficult to execute and take advantage of them, but going into the ninth season, I do not think teams are as bothered by trades at all.

Depending on what teams decide to do, there could be several big name players ending up as free agents as well - Dawn Staley and Yolanda Griffith just to name a few. Will teams stay with some of these older players who make more money but whose production could potentially begin to decline? That question will play a big part as far as what movement takes place.

Even when the Draft takes place, I am not so sure that these kids will stay where they were selected. Last year, a lot of rookies were kept on teams not only because they were good, but a lot had to do with the salary cap as well.

In no particular order, here are the top players I see as having the best chance of going high in the Draft and then making a roster:

Janell McCarville Tanisha Wright
Jacqueline Batteast Temeka Johnson
Kendra Wecker Jamie Carey
Shyra Ely Sandora Irvin
Tan White

http://www.wnba.com/features/countdown_draft_2005.html

Shocked Not a whole lot of praise for anybody...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/17/04 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ann Meyers' column is ridiculous. Basic research would prevent statements like this:

"[Dee Dee Wheeler] is about 5-10."

Having seen Dee Dee up close, there is a reason why Caune yelled to Betsy Boardman, "She can't guard you, Betsy; she's a midget!"

pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/04 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The chances of Yo becoming a FA are pretty much zero. Dawn's chances are probably less than that.

PostPosted: 12/17/04 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a couple weeks ago, I heard straight from the Monarch's assistant coach that Yolanda isn't going anywhere.
Oh well, it's Anne "I don't know what I'm talking about" Meyers.
What do you expect?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11792616p-12677277c.html

Whisenant plans to protect the Monarchs' rights to Griffith and Smith by designating them core players, then take his chances on the others.

"Yo is a foundation player, but she's not getting any younger," Whisenant said. "If we're going to get any value for her, now is the time. But I've got be to very careful in this attempt to get younger. It's a puzzle that will take a whole lot more work."

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general I've stayed out of the discussions about Ann. She's been annoying, but that's about it.

This column is outright WRONG. The info is weak, the players mentioned are incorrect, and there is no basis for statements like Currie and Polk should stay.

Cappie hasn't played yet this year so she can't comment? Everyone else acknowledges her as a Top 5, and Ann can't comment?

Ridiculous.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/18/04 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An honest question about the column. Ann says Batteast will be swing player like Swoopes or Sheri Sam. I haven't seen Jackie play enough to know -- anyone have any sense of what position she'll be in the W?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/18/04 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
In general I've stayed out of the discussions about Ann. She's been annoying, but that's about it.

This column is outright WRONG. The info is weak, the players mentioned are incorrect, and there is no basis for statements like Currie and Polk should stay.

Cappie hasn't played yet this year so she can't comment? Everyone else acknowledges her as a Top 5, and Ann can't comment?

Ridiculous.

How can anybody say Cappie is top 5, she hasn't played this year, is she definitely coming back at the start of the year? It has a hint of a Holdsclaw type problem, but she is supposed to be back at the start of the year, and that doesn't fit a Claw type scenario, does it?

I hope Cappie comes back strong, but how can anybody say much about her at this time, same as Claw, I love her game, but if she can't shake her demons, then it's hard to say she'll be anything.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/18/04 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Cappie:

According to the Star Ledger, in a story not online as of yet, Cappie will be returning to the team next week, in time for the Tennessee game.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/18/04 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Regarding Cappie:

According to the Star Ledger, in a story not online as of yet, Cappie will be returning to the team next week, in time for the Tennessee game.

Has she been practicing with the team, etc... whatever it is, is her business, but you can't just drop a player in the middle of the mix in the middle of the season, well I guess you can, but they normally need a bit of time, no matter who they are.

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/18/04 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
An honest question about the column. Ann says Batteast will be swing player like Swoopes or Sheri Sam. I haven't seen Jackie play enough to know -- anyone have any sense of what position she'll be in the W?

From what I've seen, I think she's a 3/4 forward as opposed to a 2/3 wing.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/19/04 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reb, maybe it's the weakness of the draft, or anticipation/absence makes the heart grow fonder, but Cappie is still listed by most that I've seen as Top 5.

I agree, she scares me at that high a pick. I think the draft is at least 7 strong, quality players, with nice upsides, and I would be nervous taking a chance on her Mique-esqe-capades.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/19/04 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't know if she has the same type of issues as Mique. Assuming the standard rumor is true -- and she just cheated on a test -- is it really that big a deal? It was a stupid mistake, and one that required a suspension, but not the sort of thing that shows some deep character flaws...

... or at least any flaws that will markedly impact her ability to get along with teammates, play basketball, etc.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/19/04 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
i don't know if she has the same type of issues as Mique. Assuming the standard rumor is true -- and she just cheated on a test -- is it really that big a deal? It was a stupid mistake, and one that required a suspension, but not the sort of thing that shows some deep character flaws...

... or at least any flaws that will markedly impact her ability to get along with teammates, play basketball, etc.

If that's the case, then no problem, but the problem is the unknown part, if it's known by the people in the draft, then it's really not a problem, but if they aren't aware of why she isn't playing ball for the first half of her senior season, then I'd consider it a risky pick at this point in time.

I might actually consider Tan White over Cappie, from my limited exposure, Tan is about as good on the Offensive end as Cappie to me, I can't comment on the Defensive end, because I haven't really watched either of them enough to say.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 12/19/04 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

I might actually consider Tan White over Cappie, from my limited exposure, Tan is about as good on the Offensive end as Cappie to me, I can't comment on the Defensive end, because I haven't really watched either of them enough to say.

yeah, I don't know. I just hope someone good is around at #11. Lord knows we need some damn guards up here.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/19/04 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

If that's the case, then no problem, but the problem is the unknown part, if it's known by the people in the draft, then it's really not a problem, but if they aren't aware of why she isn't playing ball for the first half of her senior season, then I'd consider it a risky pick at this point in time.

Playing Becky at the point is riskier. If she's available, which I think is really unlikely, we have to pick her. We ought to pick her.
I can't stand Lil' Monster anymore.

PostPosted: 12/19/04 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Playing Becky at the point is riskier. If she's available, which I think is really unlikely, we have to pick her. We ought to pick her.
I can't stand Lil' Monster anymore.

If she plays the 2nd half of the season, then she'll be back, and none of this discussion will even be relevant.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/19/04 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Reb, the sun did that to me lol...Of course Cappie will be long gone when we pick.
I'm sunburnt, baby, no sunscreen can beat the mighty mighty Brazilian sun. Oh, it's summer again, I love it!

PostPosted: 12/20/04 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Yes, Reb, the sun did that to me lol...Of course Cappie will be long gone when we pick.
I'm sunburnt, baby, no sunscreen can beat the mighty mighty Brazilian sun. Oh, it's summer again, I love it!

Anyone know exactly how she cheated? Shocked

Sorry about your sunburn BCBG. I wish I had the opportunity to get a nice tan, lol. Well maybe next weekend you can call Katie Smith and see if she can share any of her anti-sunburn secrets with you Wink

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/20/04 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Isn't that wonderful, it's a sunny 15 degrees here in East Tennessee this morning.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/20/04 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't that wonderful, it's a sunny 15 degrees here in East Tennessee this morning.

I'll take your 15 degrees, and raise you 3 inches of snow and -9 with the wind chill! Mad

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/20/04 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Quote:

I'll take your 15 degrees, and raise you 3 inches of snow and -9 with the wind chill! Mad

Check...

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/20/04 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Quote:

I'll take your 3 inches of snow and -9 wind chill and raise you 6 inches of snow, -12 with the windchill, and 3 hours with no power Evil or Very Mad .

Keegan

PostPosted: 12/20/04 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Quote:

I'll take your 3 inches of snow and -9 wind chill and raise you 6 inches of snow, -12 with the windchill, and 3 hours with no power Evil or Very Mad .

Hmmm should I mention our 100 degree heat? Laughing
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/21/04 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Quote:

Damn Bball! What part of the state are you in? CT is only so big, except for Litchfield county which I think is really part of Alaska.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: