RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comets Dispersal Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
recycledcomets

PostPosted: 12/03/08 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, if the Mystics were trading for Harding and Quinn, the trade would have to be with the Lynx . . .

PostPosted: 12/03/08 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the criticism that some posters have leveled at discussion of the dispersal draft is completely off base. The league has scheduled the dispersal draft for this coming Monday. It is a compelely valid, appropriate, and timely discussion topic. That such discussion is taking place does not mean that those having the discussion have not "mourned" the loss of the Comets or failed to express sympathies to the Comets fans. To the contrary, there is a completely separate thread devoted to exactly that which right now is up to five pages, longer even than this thread.

For those who think discussing the dispersal draft is not appropriate, the very simple solution is to stop clicking on this thread.

caune

PostPosted: 12/03/08 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

recycledcomets wrote:
Well, if the Mystics were trading for Harding and Quinn, the trade would have to be with the Lynx . . .

ah, but Guru thinks you'll trade one of them for Cathy Joens or some other bench player Wink

PostPosted: 12/03/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I think the criticism that some posters have leveled at discussion of the dispersal draft is completely off base. The league has scheduled the dispersal draft for this coming Monday. It is a compelely valid, appropriate, and timely discussion topic. That such discussion is taking place does not mean that those having the discussion have not "mourned" the loss of the Comets or failed to express sympathies to the Comets fans. To the contrary, there is a completely separate thread devoted to exactly that which right now is up to five pages, longer even than this thread.

For those who think discussing the dispersal draft is not appropriate, the very simple solution is to stop clicking on this thread.

EXACTLY!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 12/03/08 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
While this situation is unfortunate, I am focused on and excited about the 2009 WNBA season."

--Swoopes.

Looking forward, just as most of us are doing.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
SuziQ

PostPosted: 12/03/08 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it had been my team's demise, I'd try to find a small consolation in the continuance of the careers of players I love. Hoping they rise from the ashes and succeed wherever they land. But that's me, and others have a right to feel the way they feel. This is some painful shit.

Seeing TT in other than a Comets uni would be strange. But we dealt with it w/ Swoopes, and I'd say we all felt glad for her resurgence. I hope if TT decides to stay in the league, she picks a situation that makes her happy. She damn sure deserves it. ANY team would be thrilled to have her.

PostPosted: 12/03/08 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my picks:

1. Atlanta - S. Lyttle
2. Washington - M. Ajavon
3. Chicago - E. White
4. Minnesota - M. Williams
5. Phoenix - S. Holmes
6. Indiana - S. Johnson
7. Sacramento - R. Camino
8. New York - R. Hodges
9. Los Angeles - T. Dixon
10. Connecticut - L. Berthieu
11. Detroit - pass
12. Seattle - A. Valdemoro
13. San Antonio - pass

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
suemar

PostPosted: 12/03/08 4:37 pm    ::: Re: Comets' dispersal draft Reply Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
Wow, this is bad news for Comets' fans and for the league. I am so sorry that this is happening.

However, since it is, I am curious to see what the new brain trust here in DC will do with their second pick.

Im being just evil today cause of this team folding but, being my evil self,

The Washington Mystics Select ..TOT. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I would give my last born for Tina. Actually I wonder about Williams??

PostPosted: 12/03/08 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
when healthy Mwadi Mabika can still play and provide some decent minutes off the bench, unfortunately she hasn't been healthy and as I posted previous if her health doesn't improve I think she will retire

Then she hasn't been healthy since 2004 because her game has been flat-out awful since then.

FS02

PostPosted: 12/03/08 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. Even though her free-throw % is vomit-inducing, I really see Mistie Williams as a more valuable player than Erica White.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 12/03/08 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

recycledcomets wrote:

Well if I'm not mistaken the Lynx in the last 3 years have forced the Mystics to match free agent offers for Coco Miller and Nakia Sanford. The Lynx can have Miller, Sanford and a swap of 2nd rd picks for Harding or Quinn. Your guess is good as mines why the Lynx like Miller and Sanford so much, I'm sure Angela Taylor and Julie Plank know the answer.

By the way, reading Julie Plank's recent blog it appears the WNBA Lottery will be held sometime around December 10th.

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/pass_the_ball.html

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/08 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'll play...

1 ATLANTA Sancho Lyttle

2 WASHINGTON Matee Ajavon

3 CHICAGO Renae Camino

4 MINNESOTA Mistie Williams

5 PHOENIX Roneeka Hodges

6 INDIANA Shannon Johnson

7 SACRAMENTO Sequoia Holmes

8 NEW YORK Erica White

9 LOS ANGELES Tamecka Dixon

The rest pass

PostPosted: 12/03/08 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Erica White is all we get, I'd rather pass, too.

PostPosted: 12/03/08 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
it appears the WNBA Lottery will be held sometime around December 10th.

One day earlier...

abontorab9

PostPosted: 12/03/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So dispersal draft on the 8th, lottery on the 9th.

I wonder why the .com hasn't said anything about it yet...

mannman

PostPosted: 12/03/08 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
recycledcomets wrote:

Well if I'm not mistaken the Lynx in the last 3 years have forced the Mystics to match free agent offers for Coco Miller and Nakia Sanford. The Lynx can have Miller, Sanford and a swap of 2nd rd picks for Harding or Quinn. Your guess is good as mines why the Lynx like Miller and Sanford so much, I'm sure Angela Taylor and Julie Plank know the answer.

By the way, reading Julie Plank's recent blog it appears the WNBA Lottery will be held sometime around December 10th.

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/pass_the_ball.html

I guess I would not generalize Minnie offers during free agency to a continuing interest in a trade. A different situation exists for both teams. Personally, I would not make that trade. Now if you want to talk Langhorne or Humphrey. . .

FS02

PostPosted: 12/03/08 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Atlanta's decision as being cut-and-dried at all. Look at it from a marketing standpoint. Of course, everyone here knows that Lyttle is good, but I think Matee Ajavon has much more name recognition as far as most fans are concerned thanks to her time at Rutgers. She has a certain charisma or brash persona that fans seem to like. (There is a reason B-Money is a popular player besides her value to a basketball team).

Add to this the fact that Ajavon is a bargain, and won't be making the big $ for 3 more years, and Lyttle only has one year left on the rookie deal. Picking Ajavon could cover up the mistake of taking Young if she turns out to be a bust. Ajavon has 3 years to develop into a good player.

Ajavon is probably someone they scouted for the 2008 draft but she was gone by the time they picked. I would want Lyttle but wouldn't necessarily be completely shocked if they took Ajavon.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/08 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Ajavon is probably someone they scouted for the 2008 draft but she was gone by the time they picked.

Someone they wanted so badly they traded down rather than stay at #4 and select her.

Lyttle over Ajavon is a no-brainer.

PostPosted: 12/03/08 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm, Atlanta had a problem not having enough posts last summer, at least one lost to injury.

Unless they have a free agent in mind, I think they take Sancho cus my source thinks so lol, plus you usually take the big, they are harder to come by. And Sancho leaps like Spiderman and holds onto that rebound too. Someone mentioned Sancho may have a stamina problem, at least in 2007, not sure about now, I basically will always say it was not a lack of talent on her part that she was on the bench so much the last 2 years.

Isn't Matee kind of like Lennox inside anyway? If Lennox is leaving they might take Matee.

But good points about the salary difference. Who knows.

PostPosted: 12/03/08 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FS02 wrote:
Ajavon is probably someone they scouted for the 2008 draft but she was gone by the time they picked.

Someone they wanted so badly they traded down rather than stay at #4 and select her.

Lyttle over Ajavon is a no-brainer.

Yeah, that's a point. I just like to convince myself that I don't know what's going to happen.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/03/08 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
OK, I'll play...

1 ATLANTA Sancho Lyttle

2 WASHINGTON Matee Ajavon

3 CHICAGO Renae Camino

4 MINNESOTA Mistie Williams

5 PHOENIX Roneeka Hodges

6 INDIANA Shannon Johnson

7 SACRAMENTO Sequoia Holmes

8 NEW YORK Erica White

9 LOS ANGELES Tamecka Dixon

The rest pass

that sounds good to me, if it plays out

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/03/08 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In honesty, I'd like to see Mistie in a Chicago uniform. Won't though.

But if... (dream sequence begins here...) Chubby Checker and Michelle Williams perform the Star Spangled Banner in a duet...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/03/08 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Well if I'm not mistaken the Lynx in the last 3 years have forced the Mystics to match free agent offers for Coco Miller and Nakia Sanford.

Laughing Oh the power Cool

SportsGuru wrote:
... Your guess is good as mines why the Lynx like Miller and Sanford so much, ...

Apparently not more then the 'Stix Laughing

PostPosted: 12/03/08 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Add to this the fact that Ajavon is a bargain, and won't be making the big $ for 3 more years, and Lyttle only has one year left on the rookie deal. Picking Ajavon could cover up the mistake of taking Young if she turns out to be a bust. Ajavon has 3 years to develop into a good player.

Actually, Lyttle's rookie deal ended with the season we just had. She's only under contract (previously with Houston, now with whoever takes her) because she already signed an extension. You're right though that practically the only point in the 'pro' column for taking Ajavon over Lyttle is cost, but even with some of the extraordinary moves Meadors has already made she shouldn't be having cap issues. I can't see Ajavon's name selling enough extra tickets to balance out the gap in talent/impact.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/04/08 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

quick question: for the players who are not picked (if there are some that aren't) in the dispersal draft do they become unrestricted free agents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: