RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sacramento (10-4) @ Detroit (6-5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sass

PostPosted: 07/02/05 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh shit! I'm dyin ovah heah! Laughing Streaks, do you have a link to that poster pic?

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 07/02/05 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
[color=darkblue]Final tally for Plenette: 22pts, 2rbs, 1ast, 2stls on a 8-13 Exclamation

Amazing for her 1st night on the job... Idea Not only that, but 1st game as a 3 too...

hey stat geek, you conveniently left out the only stat that actually matters in the game of basketball. It was the ELEVENTH time the team she is a member of has lost in 14 tries.

There is nothing "amazing" at all about her individual performance. Players who get traded are usually lights out in their first game as a member of their new team....usually for 2 reasons. 1.) They want to make an immediate favorable impression on their new teammates. 2.) The new teammates usually go out of their way to involve the new player and make them feel accepted as quickly as possible.

What would have been amazing, in Plenette's case, is if the team she plays for had actually won the game.

(btw.....yes, there ARE exceptions to my theory about player performances in a 1st game after a trade so you can give your mental illness a breather and spare us all the 19 links to box scores that you are sure to post in an attempt to prove me wrong while conveniently omitting the 47 various box scores that prove me right. We all concede the exceptions to you in advance.)

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
threefrom60

PostPosted: 07/02/05 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
hey stat geek, you conveniently left out the only stat that actually matters in the game of basketball. It was the ELEVENTH time the team she is a member of has lost in 14 tries.

Your whole post was said perfectly. That's just the best part.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/02/05 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do love how Admiral said she could play the three. Worked so well, Detroit lost with Plenette at that position. She cannot play the three effectively, and she never could.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/02/05 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
[color=darkblue]Final tally for Plenette: 22pts, 2rbs, 1ast, 2stls on a 8-13 Exclamation

Amazing for her 1st night on the job... Idea Not only that, but 1st game as a 3 too...

There is nothing "amazing" at all about her individual performance. Players who get traded are usually lights out in their first game as a member of their new team....usually for 2 reasons. 1.) They want to make an immediate favorable impression on their new teammates. 2.) The new teammates usually go out of their way to involve the new player and make them feel accepted as quickly as possible.

What would have been amazing, in Plenette's case, is if the team she plays for had actually won the game.

(btw.....yes, there ARE exceptions to my theory about player performances in a 1st game after a trade so you can give your mental illness a breather and spare us all the 19 links to box scores that you are sure to post in an attempt to prove me wrong while conveniently omitting the 47 various box scores that prove me right. We all concede the exceptions to you in advance.)

This is a little harsh. Mental illness and all that. Not to mention the fact that it's bullshit too. That's the other thing. Detroit lost 5 of 11 before tonight. They haven't been able to build any consistancy whatsoever this season. The troubles on that team are bizarre. How in the hell does Plenette Pierson have shit to do with it? She was a bit player on a perennial basement dweller, averaging 7 points per game, fourth leading scorer on the next to worst team in the league while Detroit was off losing 45% of its games.

In her first game with the most talent loaded team in the league now and possibly ever, the bit player from the sucky team leads ALL scorers? If that's not amazing to you then do a poll and see how that one turns out around here.

And you actually called that thing you typed to explain this a 'theory?' Dress to impress and make the new girl feel at home? Shocked

You must have shared these thoughts with Bill Laimbeer and the Shock coaching staff because it's amazing to me that Plenette even got significant minutes on a powerhouse team that's struggling to get itself going, that BL and his staff were so open to the idea of Plenette freaking Pierson coming onto their team of world beaters like Nolan and Ford and Riley to try to save the day by not only taking the minutes of others who are essential cogs in the system but actually taking more shots tonight than Ruth Riley and Cheryl Ford COMBINED.

Plenette Pierson? lol!

Come on, fellas. The truth is that you guys are so blinded by your distaste for the Admiral that, at least tonight, in this instance, you can't see amazing even when it's staring you in the face.

Let me wipe away your doubts. What's happening with the Detroit Shock of late is very surprising. Personally... I'm leaning towards calling it amazing. But what happened tonight, seeing a 2nd rate player like PP coming onto a team that already has more 1st rate players than it knows what to do with, is absolutely amazing if only for what it says about the current state of the Detroit Shock.

Now can the jammer get an amen?

PostPosted: 07/02/05 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amen! (For the Jammer!)

pilight

PostPosted: 07/02/05 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:

So when the Merc lose their next game Diana Taurasi will be deserving of the same derision that Pierson has been getting? What a curious position.

That having been said, I'm not "amazed" that Pierson had one good game. If she starts having them regularly, that will be amazing.

PostPosted: 07/02/05 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Oh shit! I'm dyin ovah heah! Laughing Streaks, do you have a link to that poster pic?

http://www.wnba.com/media/shock/BadGirlzPoster_img.jpg

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/02/05 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The truth is that you guys are so blinded by your distaste for the Admiral that, at least tonight, in this instance, you can't see amazing even when it's staring you in the face.

Plenette had a good game. But Admiral was so blinded by his hatred of the Brigade, he set out to declare that Plenette could turn water into wine and touching her garment could heal the sick. With her great game, Detroit got blown out at home by 17 to a team that had played on the road the night before and had to travel...and this was a rested Detroit squad. Yes, she played well...and Detroit still LOST.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 07/02/05 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That having been said, I'm not "amazed" that Pierson had one good game. If she starts having them regularly, that will be amazing.

When I say amazing (and I MEAN amazing) I'm not thinking so much of Plenette Pierson, her talents and potentials, the trade etc. I'm thinking of the context, pilight, in which she had this particular good game.

They have seriously 1st rate championship tested talent on the Shock and a system in place to exploit that talent, not Plenette Pierson's talent. lol!

This all reveals a much bigger and more interesting story.

Riley scored 27 pts to beat the Sparks in game 3 of the finals in 2003. This year she's averaging 7 PPG. Ford is averaging 9 PPG. Last year the Shock lost half of their games WITH Swin Cash. They got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round by the New York freakin' Liberty and yeah okay Swin was gone but still.

My point is that you have a WNBA champion in 2003, and WNBA championship talent on board, and yet NOTHING but overall team mediocrity since the 2003 finals.

Given those facts, PP's leading all scorers her first game with the Shock isn't only amazing to me it's revealing as all get out, in my opinion. The Shock has to right ITSELF with the proven talent it already has. That would be my thinking. The idea that you'd bring in a role player mid season from another (bad) team who's never even been IN a playoff game and just hand her so many minutes and shots is just FREAKY and I said so in this thread yesterday IN THE FIRST HALF! No disrespect to Bill, he's already won a WNBA title and done better for that team than any coach ever has in turning around a franchise.

But still. ???

This is all bizarre to me. What is up with that team is all I'm sayin'. lol!

So I guess I'm focusing more on the actual state of the Shock and PP's big game in that context and less on whatever the specifics are of this particular pissing contest over whether anyone (or who) got the better of this trade.

You know I'm thinking it's maybe time to drop the current 'state of the Shock' tone and maybe start to accept that THIS IS the real Detroit Shock. Yeah they got a lot of talent but you know what? Maybe it ain't gonna work for them any more.

PostPosted: 07/02/05 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
The truth is that you guys are so blinded by your distaste for the Admiral that, at least tonight, in this instance, you can't see amazing even when it's staring you in the face.

Plenette had a good game. But Admiral was so blinded by his hatred of the Brigade, he set out to declare that Plenette could turn water into wine and touching her garment could heal the sick. With her great game, Detroit got blown out at home by 17 to a team that had played on the road the night before and had to travel...and this was a rested Detroit squad. Yes, she played well...and Detroit still LOST.

Well the question IS... what the HELL is wrong with that team? How can they possibly be doing this poorly with the talent they have and why wouldn't you take this bit player and put her on the bench in case you need her and just continue to try to get your team untracked with all these very good players who already know the system?

This is like the guy in the outhouse story to me for some reason. I was already freaking amazed in the first half of the game when Plenette had 8 points and Ruth and Ford had none. Shocked

PostPosted: 07/02/05 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:

So when the Merc lose their next game Diana Taurasi will be deserving of the same derision that Pierson has been getting? What a curious position.

Well said Jammer, Vandy and Pilight... Exclamation Very curious indeed... Idea

This reminds me of the time I congratulated Laurie Koehn on a 'good game' and out came the usual suspects trying to do the same thing... Arrow

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/02/05 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral, I find it amazing you have absolutely no understanding of context...you take quotes consistently out of context and use them to make your points. The difference is, people can see your agenda...and see through your ignorant bullshit.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/02/05 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
Final tally for Plenette: 22pts, 2rbs, 1ast, 2stls on a 8-13 Exclamation

Quote:
Newcomer Plenette Pierson, acquired by Detroit (6-6) in a trade Wednesday with the Phoenix Mercury, had 22 points and Deanna Nolan added 14 for the Shock.

"Coming in here, I wanted to mesh with the girls as best as possible," said Pierson, who made 8-of-13 shots. "I was going to do what was asked of me. And I was asked to be aggressive and go to the basket and the girls helped me out with that."

Detroit was lethargic from the opening tip, committing 15 turnovers in the first half. But the Shock shot 10-of-20 from the floor to trail just 38-31 at the break. They finished with 22 turnovers.

Laimbeer liked what he saw from Pierson.

"We're looking for some scoring from the three position and it's clear that she can do that," he said. "We just need people to match her intensity now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/recap?gameId=250701003

Nice recovery for Powell too, after going without a FG for the second time this season vs NY, ending with one point..

And the papers weren't joking when they said busloads of people were coming to see Haynie Shocked Almost 11,000 attended...

I bet there was a mad-dash for the Bad Girl posters Laughing

lol, nice shot Cool They should put out a rap album a la 'The Super Bowl Shuffle'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: