RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dad: Fans, media grew tired of Williams' success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 07/01/05 9:11 am    ::: Dad: Fans, media grew tired of Williams' success Reply Reply with quote

"When it was Steffi Graf or Chris Evert that won, or Monica Seles -- but when those two black girls came and beat up everyone, tennis was 'not exciting'," he told The Associated Press on Thursday after watching Venus beat Maria Sharapova in the Wimbledon semifinals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wimbledon-richardwilliams&prov=ap&type=lgns

PostPosted: 07/01/05 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In between Tracy Austin's flame out and the emergence of Graf as a champion, when Evert and Navratilova met in seemingly every GS final, many people said women's tennis had gotten boring.

PostPosted: 07/01/05 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I'm tired of Richard Williams and don't recall anyone being bored by Serena & Venus. They got distracted from tennis though. It's a great story that Venus is back in the finals.

hellcat24

PostPosted: 07/03/05 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to agree, I always love a great rivalry and simply put the William's sisters threw down a challenge. The other girls on the tour had to step up and rise to the next level.

Women's tennis seems to go through these cycles quite a lot however, as I said in another post, this year there seems to be more parity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: