Board Junkies Forums

Plenette to Detroit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smenko

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Transactions on dot.com:

June 29
The Phoenix Mercury traded forward Plenette Pierson to the Detroit Shock for Andrea Stinson and Detroit's 2006 second round Draft pick.
The Phoenix Mercury have waiver Andrea Stinson.

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That really sucks. Twisted Evil

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what was the point in Stinson being part of the trade? Why didn't Detroit just waive her?

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Phoenix Mercury traded forward Plenette Pierson to the Detroit Shock for Andrea Stinson and Detroit's 2006 second round Draft pick.

Is this wierd? In terms of who ends up where, it accomplishes the same thing as trading Pierson for the second round draft pick, and Detroit waiving Stinson.

Is there something to it that doesn't meet the eye?

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/29/05 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Quote:

Is this wierd? In terms of who ends up where, it accomplishes the same thing as trading Pierson for the second round draft pick, and Detroit waiving Stinson.

Is there something to it that doesn't meet the eye?

I assume it is related to the CBA if the W is close to what the NBA is. On the men's side, it is quite common for players to be thrown into a trade just so contract amounts match up and then players get waived immediately. Best example is when Boston "traded" Gary Payton to Atlanta for Antoine Walker and then the Hawks promptly waived Payton the next day.

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/29/05 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's little things like this that make me wonder why in the holy hell Stint didn't stay in Charlotte- if not as a player, as a booster. Being trade equalizer and waiver bait is NOT the way her career should end.

Now, if it turns out that they waived her not only to clear roster space but to give her a chance to go to another team *coughCharlottecough*, that would be somewhat more symmetrical.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suggest Stint was traded for salary cap purposes.

I think we should have kept her though - she's a vet guard who could provide some leadership but I guess we're going to keep Gwen and Kayte.

Plenette has some potential but she was infuriatingly inconsistent and when she was off, she was REALLY off. She was also way too fond of that mid-range jumper, considering the percentage she hits them at.
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, frankly, i don't care who has plenette (as long as it's not NY, since we don't need her) but i'm REALLY bummed now about ms. jordan. i LOVE andrea stinson. i know she's gettin' old, and this league is getting better and better, but i hate this. first, BL cuts off her streak, and now this.

WWWAAAAHHHHH! Crying or Very sad

sambista

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
okay, frankly, i don't care who has plenette (as long as it's not NY, since we don't need her) but i'm REALLY bummed now about ms. jordan. i LOVE andrea stinson. i know she's gettin' old, and this league is getting better and better, but i hate this. first, BL cuts off her streak, and now this.

WWWAAAAHHHHH! Crying or Very sad

i hear you. that shit stinks. i wanna know if stint was given an opportunity to retire (not that we woulda bought that shit either, but still). the way this went down shows no respect whatsoever for one of the greats of this league. they wouldn't have let that happen to precious little fill-in-the-blank!

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't have all the facts about how it went down with stint, but i think i've just become an unfan of bill laimbeer. and of phoenix, on general principle.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bibb, shouldn't your anger be directed at Charlotte?

sambista

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

why the hell not?

but seriously, i'm not sure i'd have wished charlotte's season on stint. yeah, she could've still been playing (maybe) and been allowed to retire with dignity with her inaugural team (maybe). but in a way, BL taking her was an empty promise, as was phoenix taking her. to me, that's more raw.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Stint will sign with another team. Since she wasn't getting much playing time in Detroit this could end up being better for her as well. I don't know where she would go though. Minnesota?

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

Charlotte was up front about it. They said right from the jump that they weren't going to re-sign her. They gave her plenty of time to sign with some other team.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the second i read your post, alepp, i thought minny. or sass. they're kinda slow anyway. they could at least use some style!

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seriously doubt Phoenix promised her anything Rolling Eyes
Alepp03

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope not SASS, McCray, Edna, and Uvanyi is enough blast from the past for one team.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

but do you think they said, "we really don't need you, so don't get comfortable - you're about to be waived." ???

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel for her Bibb, but it is a business and a tightly run one at that, at least money wise, there isn't much room to keep players with the money the way it is, the CBA was a double edged sword, it guarantees more money for more years of service, so it really hurts players later in their career, doesn't it, the money situation will cause a 4th year starter to be cut over a younger player if their skills are fairly comparable.

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
Keegan wrote:

but do you think they said, "we really don't need you, so don't get comfortable - you're about to be waived." ???

It's possible.

As I said, Detroit probably needed to offload a salary to make room for Plenette.

It's been reported on Gotnext that Stint may have a knee injury.
sambista

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reb, i'm reacting emotionally here. i changed my tune about ruthie, for example, when it became clear that she just outright refused to retire and take whatever else came. that could be the case with stint - the handwriting might have been TRACED ON THE WALL by trudi, bill and phoenix. however, if that was not the case, i wish she had been given every opportunity to bow out gracefully, rather than be bandied about like someone cared.

i pray that we learn she wanted to keep trying for a role, even in phoenix, no matter what. then i'll shut up.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
reb, i'm reacting emotionally here. i changed my tune about ruthie, for example, when it became clear that she just outright refused to retire and take whatever else came. that could be the case with stint - the handwriting might have been TRACED ON THE WALL by trudi, bill and phoenix. however, if that was not the case, i wish she had been given every opportunity to bow out gracefully, rather than be bandied about like someone cared.

i pray that we learn she wanted to keep trying for a role, even in phoenix, no matter what. then i'll shut up.

I agree bibb. let this run its course. stranger things have happened

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/29/05 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RM619 wrote:
sebibb wrote:

I agree bibb. let this run its course. stranger things have happened

i think the salary issue is the most likely here. it's sad, but if i had a cap to think about, would i want to spend 80K on Andrea? probably not - not if i wanted to keep my job...but if she WERE still on my squad, barring injury, i would have put her in for 2 minutes a game to keep her streak alive.

what i don't understand is what phoenix got out of this. i mean, if they didn't want plenette, they could have waived her to make room for stepanova. why would they trade for someone they had no intention of using? what am i missing?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/05 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only strong feeling on this trade is that the Merc should have been able to get more for Pierson.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
what i don't understand is what phoenix got out of this. i mean, if they didn't want plenette, they could have waived her to make room for stepanova. why would they trade for someone they had no intention of using? what am i missing?

Well they got a second round pick out of it. Better than nothing I guess Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: