RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Vince Carter About to be Traded to the Nets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/17/04 3:31 pm    ::: Vince Carter About to be Traded to the Nets? Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks in exchange for Carter. According to those same sources, the talks have moved to the point that they could be finalized before the end of the day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

What a hose by New Jersey... didn't even have to take Jalen Rose's contract... What is Toronto thinking? All that for 2 1st round picks, presumably low considering NJ and DEN should be at least pretty good over the next 2 years, and $4mil salary cap relief 2 years from now with $10mil more coming a year after that? Mourning will retire first than play for Toronto, Aaron is no good and Eric is a role player. Top it off with the fact that you're trading Carter to another Eastern Conference team. Confused

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bizarre; the Raptors would suck even worse, and the Nets would still suck.

RJ, Kidd and Vinsanity? Not enough shots, plus you still have the breathing basket post Collins at center, and Brian Scalabrine (although I love yelling his name) at PF?

So, is Eris Williams becoming the Todd Zeile of the NBA? This makes Boston (twice), NJ, Cleveland, Denver, and then Toronto.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well Kidd hardly takes any shots, so it should be OK. And considering NJ got Shareef Abdur-Rahim excited about playing for the Nets by dangling Kidd, knowing full well that Kidd wouldn't report to Portland, you now have SAR as a likely free agent pickup next year when his contract expires. And with Kidd, VC and Jefferson, SAR will probably sign for less than he could get elsewhere.

So for New Jersey, I like it, but I can't believe that this is the best deal Toronto can get.. Confused They're basically trading VC for 2 low 1st round draft picks and Eric Williams. They're initial plan was to piggyback Jalen Rose's $45mil/3 yr contract with VC for total salary cap relief next year with SAR and Van Exel ($27mil). Or maybe they think that no FA would want to goto Toronto, so they're better off building through the draft. Shocked

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:23 pm    ::: It's Official... Vinsanity to the Nets Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Raptors await approval to send Carter to Nets

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

The two first-round picks the Raptors are to receive in the trade were obtained by the Nets from Denver in the Kenyon Martin trade.

One of the pickes, which was Denver's first-round pick in 2005, is protected if it is pick one through three in the 2005 lottery.

The other, which Denver obtained from Philadelphia before trading it to the Nets is protected if it is pick one through eight in the 2005 lottery and one through five in the 2006 lottery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/17/04 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now answer me this Admiral. Where do the Nets cap wise set after this move, vs. signing K-Mart and Kittles.

Does this move make the team better than resiging those two? I don't think so.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/17/04 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Now answer me this Admiral. Where do the Nets cap wise set after this move, vs. signing K-Mart and Kittles.

Does this move make the team better than resiging those two? I don't think so.

For this year, the Nets' cap would be at $50mil with Carter and K-Mart. I believe the last year of the $14mil Mutumbo contract counts against their cap, although they are not paying the salary. And I would have not resigned Kittles. Backup SGs are a dime a dozen Razz

Yes, it would make the team better. You'd have a starting 4 of VC, Kidd, Kenyon and Jefferson.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/17/04 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummer, no Vinsanity at the Garden???
It looks good for the Nets if VC can find the motivation to play for 8k every night, he just might be a nice addition indeed.
Now, just imagine how many highlights with alley-oop dunks?
They might not become a winning team, but they sure as hell will be an exciting one...

PostPosted: 12/17/04 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official: Vinsanity to the Meadowlands.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpZmFlcXBpBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-raptors-nets-cartertraded&prov=ap&type=lgns

PostPosted: 12/17/04 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should be fun to watch... but does this mean the end of the Kidd to Dallas trade talks? Shocked No wonder they're starting Terry... Nelson must be trying to get used to him now that they're likely stuck with him as their PG Razz

I also feel sorry for all those who took Eric Williams as their SF tonight in VGM lol... Unfortunately my Bobby Simmons pick isn't looking like much of an upgrade Confused

http://www.arsiva.com/nba/fastbreak/showpicks.aspx?type=group&id=49764

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: