RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm @ Comets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 06/29/05 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
But do you think Lauren may eventually say what it was she did that got her benched? I'm not sure if she will or not, but I hope we at least hear something.

if donovan gives her "the eye," like "you better keep this within our team," i dunnooooooooo . . . you've seen that look from donovan. it's usually innocent, but it can turn DEADLY!

PostPosted: 06/29/05 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh definitely, I've seen the look. What I'm hoping for, though, is that AD gives Lauren the choice. Basically like, I'm the coach, I'm keeping it in house. But you're the one who got in trouble, and if you want to go public with it, and tell the whole world what you did wrong, then that's your business. Because the punishment certainly wasn't in house. Everyone knows what the punishment was.

I just... I hope she starts to have fun again. I'm really worried she might want to leave. The country, not the team.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is is that the Stomr have more chemistry problems with Sheri Sam gone than they had when she was there?

PostPosted: 06/29/05 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Losing causes chemistry problems. Winning covers alot of them up.

Last year at this time they were 10-4. Had they been 7-7, with Sheri and with Betty being new to the team, I can see them having had MAJOR chemistry problems.

Remember after the Olympics, there were alot of problems with Sheri, and she ultimately lost her starting role for a few games. It would have been more, except that LJ went back to Austrailia for 3 games and AD didn't want to start Chelle AND Simone in the same games. LJ went home, Sheri lost her starting spot, and the Storm ended the year losing 6 of their last 9 games. Thankfully, the playoffs started, against a Lynx team playing without their superstar and without home court advantage. The adrenaline rush of playoff basketball covered up whatever chemistry issues they may have been having.

Luckily, they're about to spend an awful lot of time in Key Arena next month. That could solve alot of these problems.

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/29/05 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if you can't resolve things with Anne, LJ...

(always the opportunist Wink )

A lot less facetiously, I hope everything works itself out.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 06/29/05 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threefrom60 wrote:
the Storm ended the year losing 6 of their last 9 games. Thankfully, the playoffs started, against a Lynx team playing without their superstar and without home court advantage. The adrenaline rush of playoff basketball covered up whatever chemistry issues they may have been having.

Luckily, they're about to spend an awful lot of time in Key Arena next month. That could solve alot of these problems.

Wow. They lost six of their last nine games and went on to win the WNBA championship?

Now there's a fact the jammer can work with. Razz

PostPosted: 06/29/05 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Wow. They lost six of their last nine games and went on to win the WNBA championship?

They're the only team to have a losing record over their last nine regular season games and go on to win it all.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/29/05 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Time and space stood still that day,
With Victory's soul and mine,
We were running a race between heaven and hell,
And we could not find the finish line,
And when it was all over we won it in the end,
We were splittin' the prize when she opened her eyes,
And said Baby let's try it again

Chorus:
We were beatin' the odds, we were beatin' the odds,
We were beatin' the odds again,
We were gambling with our souls,
We were playing to win,
We were beatin' the odds again

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To put that stat in perspective, wasn't LJ missing for a decent chunk of those games?

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
To put that stat in perspective, wasn't LJ missing for a decent chunk of those games?

She only missed three, all Storm losses.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/29/05 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They lost 3 straight games when LJ was out, when she came back they went 3-3 the rest of the way.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 06/29/05 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

However. They lost all three, but they almost won one of them. In LA. With a full strength Sparks squad. Birdy had 25 I believe, and missed the 3 pointer at the buzzer that woulda tied it. Seriously, they lost by 3 on the road to LA without LJ. I have faith that in time, they woulda figured out how to win without her, just as they found a way to win a couple without Birdy this year.

But yeah, they were 0-3 without LJ, and 3-3 with her, to end the year.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought just occurred to me...probably laughable, but it's interesting that all this is timed the way it is.

Seattle's having LJ troubles apparently...Phoenix is having Taurasi problems...lots of Aussies in Phoenix...Sue Bird's in Seattle.

Follow my line of thinking?

I know it's stupid, but it did hit my mind earlier.

Carrie and Anne wouldn't pull THAT off, would they?? Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Thought just occurred to me...probably laughable, but it's interesting that all this is timed the way it is.

Seattle's having LJ troubles apparently...Phoenix is having Taurasi problems...lots of Aussies in Phoenix...Sue Bird's in Seattle.

Seattle playing Taurasi at the three? Or Betty Lennox on the bench? I don't see this happening.

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

Seattle is having LJ problems? You are solidifying my conception of you as the King of Overreaction.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, what's up with the extended pine time, and the near tears LJ in the locker room, with apparently no idea of why she was benched, about?

My first thought, was that AD wanted the team to toughen up on their own, sans LJ, but the LJ reaction left me with the impression if that was what she was doing, she didn't let LJ in on it.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

King of Overreaction? Nah. I was just thinking silly stuff more than anything else. I knew it wasn't ever gonna happen when I first thought of it. And besides, the whole LJ thing is probably over and done with now, so far as we know.

I'm not overreacting...heck, at least the Storm isn't 2-10 like my favorite Eastern Conference team is. Twisted Evil

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/29/05 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
So, what's up with the extended pine time, and the near tears LJ in the locker room, with apparently no idea of why she was benched, about?

My first thought, was that AD wanted the team to toughen up on their own, sans LJ, but the LJ reaction left me with the impression if that was what she was doing, she didn't let LJ in on it.

AD isn't saying a word about anything. I am told that the Storm came out for the second half very late, and that they looked like they'd been sucking on lemons...even Sue Bird looked like that. So it must have been something that happened in there.

My first thought after hearing about the LJ reaction was that she said something wrong and the team took it the wrong way, or, something happened at halftime that ticked off AD enough to where she announced to the team that LJ wouldn't play much in the second half, but wouldn't tell anyone why.

I know not, but you'd think she'd at least tell LJ why. That doesn't make sense.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/29/05 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But do you think Lauren may eventually say what it was she did that got her benched? I'm not sure if she will or not, but I hope we at least hear something.

SORF's account of why LJ was benched sounded convincing to me.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/29/05 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:

I don't think Phoenix is having Taurasi problems..But anytime Lauren wants to come to Phoenix, she's certainly welcome, and Sue Bird can come along as well....

The Blimp

PostPosted: 06/30/05 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well jimmy K you're about 6 months late with that conspiracy theory, it was discussed privately amongst a coterie of ne'erdowell stormfans way back. Laughing
The AD-LJ benching thing? Now a non-issue.
AD says its difficult to win conceding so many offensive boards.
AD says Storm would have won with another post presence (whilst LJ is benched!)
LJ makes point of saying in locker-room post-mortem that she felt she was trying to be aggressive.
Clearly the HC believed that she wasn't being aggressive enough in denying Comets the boards and makes the call.
To save LJ embarrassment, AD doesn't come out and say LJ wasn't boxing-out aggressively enough so I benched her ass.
Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: