RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Biden Speaking Gaffes Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker_12

PostPosted: 09/19/08 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jersey_stupka wrote:
Lurker_12 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Lurker_12 wrote:
...With his history of gaffes...this could turn into a long thread... Wink

This may be long before your time, but Joe Biden has indeed made lots of speaking gaffes, as far back as the late 1980's!

I remember when he was actually running for the Democratic nomination of President in 1988, he was taken to task for plagiarizing a speech from a British politician named Neil Kinnock, almost word-for-word. Shocked

More recently, Biden, when he was still candidate for the nomination in this election season, referred to Obama as being "bright and clean".

From the website, "The Skeleton Closet":
http://www.realchange.org/biden.htm

I wish it was before my time... Smile I remember that speech stealing deal, ...thanks for the link, there's some over interesting stuff on there as well

Hey! the 1980s were awesome!!! Laughing
I, too, remember. And then there were the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings that Biden presided over. Hella, he's been running for president for decades.

Yeah they were...one of my favorite channels on XM (other than Fox News Wink )is the 80's... loved the music. Clarence Thomas Shocked ...it took me decades to quit hating on Arlen Specter... Laughing

*flashbacks of a Biden with more and darker hair... Laughing

Well behaved women seldom make history...

Eer's & Hoo's & Huskies & me Libbie's !

Last edited by Lurker_12 on 09/19/08 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lurker_12

PostPosted: 09/19/08 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
Biden in Hot Water With Some Ohioans

Quote:
Speaking to members of the University of Delaware football team Friday morning, the Democratic VP candidate said he thinks the Fightin Blue Hens (1-1 this season) could thrash a certain team from Ohio.

"I was out in Ohio," he said while fiddling with a football in his hands. "I told the folks in Ohio that we'd kick Ohio State's ass!"

Quote:
"As if his comments about it being a patriotic duty for Ohioans to pay higher taxes weren't bad enough, now Biden is taking pot shots at the Buckeyes," GOP State chair Bob Bennett said. "Barack Obama and Joe Biden must really think they can win this election without Ohio, because they're doing their best to lose it with stupid comments like these. Keep talking, Joe."

David Wade, a spokesman for Biden said, “I think this episode explains exactly why we’ll win Ohio: Joe Biden is loyal to his home team, and John McCain is loyal to President Bush."

Um, nice try Mr. Wade. I know the talking points insist you link McCain and Bush every chance you get, but that's quite the non sequitur you've got there. Rolling Eyes

Shocked Hopefully they aint playing Miami or Penn State any time soon... Razz

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 09/19/08 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
thesixthwoman wrote:
And if Biden had said something like, "Hey, those Buckeyes are really good - I don't know how you can beat the #1 team in the country ... " to the Delaware team, THAT would be a gaffe too, because he wouldn't be rooting for his home team -- Right?
Please. Rolling Eyes

Here's a novel idea, one can give a pep talk without trash talking another team. I know it's a difficult concept for some of you Obama folks to comprehend, but it is, indeed, possible.
And um, Delaware and Ohio don't actually play each other. He was just trashing Ohio for the sake of trashing them. Rolling Eyes

I'm gonna let that one go...

Barrister15

PostPosted: 09/19/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lurker_12 wrote:
Shocked Hopefully they aint playing Miami or Penn State any time soon... Razz

Hopefully they are! Wink

Barrister15

PostPosted: 09/23/08 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this should be a sticky thread...

So the latest from Senator Biden... not necessarily a gaffe, but it's definitely getting him closer and closer to the wheels on the bus.

Biden Calls Ad Mocking McCain 'Terrible'

Quote:
Barack Obama's running mate says a campaign ad that mocked Republican presidential candidate John McCain as an out-of-touch, out-of-date computer illiterate was "terrible" and would not have been done had he known about it.

I suppose it IS Barack Obama's voice that says, "I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message" but one would think that Biden would at least be made aware of the ads that are running. Poor Biden, it's almost like he gets set up for stuff like this.

I tell you, though, the more he says stuff like this, the more I like him and wish he were at the top of his ticket.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/23/08 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys aren't keeping up with old Joe.

Biden Walks Back Remarks on Ad

CHICAGO – Democratic vice-presidential nominee Joseph R. Biden Jr. was on the defensive Monday night, issuing a statement of clarification after saying that he thought an Obama campaign ad tweaking Senator John McCain’s computer skills was “terrible.”

PostPosted: 09/23/08 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll see you one Joe Gaffe and raise you one. First, the AIG bailout. Turns out Biden agreed with McCain's initial response, not Obama's. As you've probably heard by now, Obama says "Joe should have waited"

Now, the latest. Contradicting his boss, Joe says no to clean coal plants in Ohio.

“We're not supporting clean coal,” Biden said. “Guess what? China is building two every week, two dirty coal plants. And it's polluting the United States, it's causing people to die.”

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/08 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://cbs2.com/politics/joe.biden.interview.2.823202.html

Quote:
"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'look, here's what happened.'"

If that had happened, the dozen or so people who owned televisions in 1929 would have undoubtedly said "Who is this guy? What happened to President Hoover?"

PostPosted: 09/23/08 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed. He said, 'look, here's what happened.'"

If that had happened, the dozen or so people who owned televisions in 1929 would have undoubtedly said "Who is this guy? What happened to President Hoover?"

Good thing Joe Biden wasn't on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

CRASH

PostPosted: 09/23/08 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Good thing Joe Biden wasn't on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

Good thing it wasn't Palin who said this....

We'd NEVER hear the end of it!
But since it was good ole' Joe, all is right with the world!
Never underestimate the Power of Hypocrisy in the Democratic Party!

PostPosted: 09/23/08 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have already heard the end of it. Ratings tell you no one watches CBS! They are in 3rd place after all! Laughing

[quote="CRASH"]

Good thing it wasn't Palin who said this....

We'd NEVER hear the end of it!

PostPosted: 09/23/08 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Biden, the wheels on the bus are leaving tire tracks on him...

Obama Chides Biden for Off-Message Interview

pilight

PostPosted: 09/23/08 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

Biden is right. The bailout is a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: 09/24/08 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, That Joe! (No. 17 in a Series) -- First Thing We Do, Let's Retain All the Lawyers

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/24/08 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

Biden is right. The bailout is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bush is getting involved with something..

Is there anything that he's gotten involved with that hasn't turned into a disaster?

I agree with Biden too.

PostPosted: 09/25/08 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sen. Biden's recent comments in Ohio regarding clean coal were big news last night on several of the WV/VA news stations...obviously not playing well with those that work in the coal industry.

Barrister15

PostPosted: 09/30/08 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if Joe has ever been to Bosnia...

Unlike Clinton, Biden Gets Pass for Saying He Was 'Shot At' in Iraq

Quote:
"Let's start telling the truth," Biden said during a presidential primary debate sponsored by YouTube last year. "Number one, you take all the troops out - you better have helicopters ready to take those 3,000 civilians inside the Green Zone, where I have been seven times and shot at. You better make sure you have protection for them, or let them die."

But when questioned about the episode afterward by the Hill newspaper, Biden backpedaled from his claim of being "shot at" and instead allowed: "I was near where a shot landed."

Lurker_12

PostPosted: 09/30/08 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Barrister15 wrote:
Wonder if Joe has ever been to Bosnia...

Unlike Clinton, Biden Gets Pass for Saying He Was 'Shot At' in Iraq

Quote:
"Let's start telling the truth," Biden said during a presidential primary debate sponsored by YouTube last year. "Number one, you take all the troops out - you better have helicopters ready to take those 3,000 civilians inside the Green Zone, where I have been seven times and shot at. You better make sure you have protection for them, or let them die."

But when questioned about the episode afterward by the Hill newspaper, Biden backpedaled from his claim of being "shot at" and instead allowed: "I was near where a shot landed."

Quote:
Meanwhile, the gaffe-prone Biden has again raised eyebrows with another story about his exploits in war zone

Quote:
But it turns out that inclement weather, not terrorists, prompted the chopper to land in an open field during Biden's visit to Afghanistan in February. Fighter jets kept watch overhead while a convoy of security vehicles was dispatched to retrieve Biden and fellow Senators Chuck Hagel and John Kerry.

"We were going to send Biden out to fight the Taliban with snowballs, but we didn't have to," joked Kerry, a Democrat, to the AP. "Other than getting a little cold, it was fine."

Shocked Laughing

jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 10/01/08 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden gaffes leave Democrats with mixed emotions
Some worry about missteps in Palin debate

WASHINGTON - Joe Biden began his remarks to the National Jewish Democratic Council last week with a joke about how Jews like to argue.

The Yeshiva crew team, he said, sent a spy to Cambridge find out why the Harvard rowers always beat them. The informant called his coach from alongside the river. "He said, 'They've got eight guys rowing and only one yelling!' " he said, to laughter.

Biden can get away with this sort of mild ethnic humor - he is a four-decade veteran of political banter, an Irish Catholic from working class Scranton, Pa., and a politician who sometimes runs a little hot.

---

relations with Russia could spin "literally, literally, literally beyond our control for the better part of a generation." (He also uses the word "literally" with almost felonious frequency.)

---

At an intimate, $2 million fund-raiser put on by a group of trial lawyers in a private home in Washington, D.C. last week, he boasted that he had "done more than any other senator" for trial lawyers. There are "two groups that stand between us and the barbarians at the gate," he professed. "It's you and organized labor."

---

"He's authentic," said Janice Gorman-Weiss, a 48-year-old marketer and activist from Wyoming, Ohio, who came to hear Biden's foreign policy speech in Cincinnati last week. "I'm sick of people being perfectly polished so you're not even seeing the real person. If he says things that aren't exactly a perfect fit with what the campaign wants him to say, that's OK."

LaVerne Mitchell, a 58-year-old teacher and the former mayor of Lincoln Heights, Ohio, shrugged at the flap over Biden's criticism of the ad targeting McCain.

"You know what?" she said. "I don't want Obama and Biden to completely think alike - if they both think alike, they're going to miss something."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/10/01/biden_gaffes_leave_democrats_with_mixed_emotions/

PostPosted: 08/14/12 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess it is time to bring this back...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/14/biden-romneys-wall-street-will-put-yall-back-in-chains/?on.cnn=2

Quote:
Biden said at a campaign event in Danville, Virginia. "He is going to put y'all back in chains."

PostPosted: 08/14/12 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I guess it is time to bring this back...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/14/biden-romneys-wall-street-will-put-yall-back-in-chains/?on.cnn=2

Quote:
Biden said at a campaign event in Danville, Virginia. "He is going to put y'all back in chains."

Interesting to review the 4-year-old posts with the benefit of hindsight, and see how LITTLE the 'gaffes' mattered, in the final analysis. Very Happy

Re: His latest? I love it, cuz it really IS metaphorically correct: Corporate Banking relies on financial servitude of the masses now, doesn't it?

PostPosted: 08/14/12 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting to review the 4-year-old posts with the benefit of hindsight, and see how LITTLE the 'gaffes' mattered, in the final analysis. Very Happy

Running mates don't matter. Never have, never will.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

I dunno....there are those who would defiantly argue that point (either way) when it came to Palin. Razz

PostPosted: 08/14/12 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

I dunno....there are those who would defiantly argue that point (either way) when it came to Palin. Razz

They would be wrong. McCain was losing when he named her and he kept on losing.

PostPosted: 08/14/12 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, joe. love you, but you really stepped in it.

why? mostly, because you would never have said "y'all" to a different audience. that was major card playing there. get real. and stay real, no matter whom you're talking to.

we can get past this, but not if you keep acting like you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: