RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

3 days away...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 06/27/05 7:40 am    ::: 3 days away... Reply Reply with quote

And all hell breaks loose...my comp finally died and the thing is not even 1 year-old!
Don't ever buy Toshibas, they are cute, but they suck as much as the Lib against bad teams.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, bcbg. i really do feel your pain. my brother's bum computer is a toshiba, too.

for what it's worth and i can't speak for every brand of computer, at work we use one brand of desktop computer - compaq (several hundred of them). right now we're using the evo. switched from dell after they started falling apart way too soon, too easily. as for laptops, we've always used one brand exclusively because they are amazingly durable and lightweight - ibm thinkpads (several hundred of them). from the 240s years ago to the r30s we have now. our computers are used (and abused) roughly 12 to 16 hours a day, 365 days a year. i'd say that's a pretty solid endorsement. if i had to buy a pc, it would be a thinkpad. and instead of getting a heavy model, i'd get a souped-up docking station (for cds, dvds, zip drive, etc.) for it so i could have a choice about traveling lightly.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 8:34 am    ::: Re: 3 days away... Reply Reply with quote

HA! I just have a new Toshiba machine at work!!! Don't jinx it! I've had computer problems on & off ever since I got this job!!! LOL!!

BCBG25 wrote:
And all hell breaks loose...my comp finally died and the thing is not even 1 year-old!
Don't ever buy Toshibas, they are cute, but they suck as much as the Lib against bad teams.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 06/27/05 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got mine last year (July, to be exact). Back then I got their top of line, the Satellite P25, that was supposed to be the ultimate gaming machine and also dance Macarena.
I've been having the cooling fan problem ever since I got back from the US in May and had to wipe off all my personal files and restore system original configurations.
In short, it finally died on me on Friday night just as I was getting ready to savour the webcasts with my new kick-ass internet connection.
It might as well be having sympathy pains as I didn't have to listent to the Libs get killed in Charlotte either. Who knows, maybe it was for the best Rolling Eyes
But Toshiba is definitely gonna hear from me, this is my second Satellite that dies before their first year purchase anniversary.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummer!
Our company has used nothing but Toshiba Satellites for the last 10 years, and they have been outstanding. Never had a single problem, and these get used in really hot & dusty environments too.
I have noticed that the build quality in recent years is not nearly what it used to be though, which is a concern because of what we put them through. I've gotten very complacent with backing up too (the only thing that made me start doing it regularly again was when our building was broken into after Christmas & my laptop stolen from my office - boy was that a kick in the ass).

Anyway what I'm trying to say is thanks for the warning. Your speaking up may just save my ass some time in the future Smile
Hope you didn't lose too much!

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I got mine last year (July, to be exact). Back then I got their top of line, the Satellite P25, that was supposed to be the ultimate gaming machine and also dance Macarena.

that's exactly the machine my brother has. he got it for the same reason - sexy. but sexy don't cut it when you have to send it back to the factory (or wherever ailing toshibas go). and a warranty isn't much comfort either.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, what with the 17" bright screen, Haarman Kardon sound system, kick ass internet connection, damn, it should be perfect for a webcast!
That's why I am sooooo annoyed.
So everyone, wise up, stay away from sexy and expensive. They are great in the beginning, but the backlash is more than you can take... Very Happy

PostPosted: 06/27/05 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you know i wanna say "once you go mac, you'll never go back," but i dunno what kinda mac support you'd have in sampa.

i have a feeling this thread's gonna get booted outta here.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
you know i wanna say "once you go mac, you'll never go back," but i dunno what kinda mac support you'd have in sampa.

in my experience, macs rarely need hardware service, so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue! i've done IT support for maybe 100 or more macs, and i'd say only one or two ever had serious hardware problems. any software/os that comes up is pretty easy to address on your own.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe there's something to do with the difference between desktops and laptops.. For me, Dell has always been the consensus best desktop PC since back in the days of the P133.

I remember my 1st year, the college campus store sold me a I think a Mac IIsi and although I never had any problems with it, it was antiquated within 3 months Exclamation It couldn't even handle Netscape 1.0 even though it was on a LAN... Then throw in the whole iMac debacle and the fact that Steve Jobs has a reputation here as being an ass, and it's gotten to the point where if it's Mac, I'm throwing it back Twisted Evil

But for laptops, the same comp sci experts who recommend Dell, also say they make terrible laptops, but that info is about a year old, which coincidentally, was something I first mentioned last summer before your Toshiba purchase! Razz

BCBG25 wrote:
So everyone, wise up, stay away from sexy and expensive. They are great in the beginning, but the backlash is more than you can take... Very Happy

Wait, we're still talking about computers, right? Wink Rolling Eyes

sambista

PostPosted: 06/27/05 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not by our record with desktop dells. i wouldn't pay a nickel for a desktop dell. seriously. even the inconsequential "hardware" - doors, buttons, hinges and whatnot - fall apart. the ports in the back often aren't properly seated . . . they are a mess. the only beef i have with the compaq evo is that the two front usb ports aren't always reliable and/or don't have as much juice as the rear ones. we've got people using voice-recognition software with elaborate headset units, and others with mouse alternatives such as the fingerworks gesture pad, and those front usb ports just can't drive them sometimes.

as for the mac, the only prob i've had with the four is the one with the bad logic board, which turned out to be a total recall. i couldn't have fixed that one on my own.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, now we're really going off-topic here lol...
The reason why I got my second Toshiba, besides being mesmerized with its looks and power (am I not always?), was that despite having problems with the first one, I thought I had caused them since I spilled coke all over the keyboard. So since it didn't have that special warranty for such "accidents", I went ahead and got another Toshiba.
I'm with Bibb on the desktop assessment for Compaq. I have one of the latest EVO's at work and have had a Thinkpad at work too, both very reliable, true workhorses, since I run SAP R/3 and BW development tools, so anyone who's even a user already knows that takes real perfomance to work well.
Going back on topic, I hope to get it fixed soon so as not to miss another couple of webcasts coming up this week.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you say it died, BCBG what do you mean?
Did it post? Any beeps?

Less than one year old? Do you have on site warranty? Or did you have to take it back where you bought it?

herrade

PostPosted: 06/27/05 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

I'm with Bibb on the desktop assessment for Compaq. I have one of the latest EVO's at work and have had a Thinkpad at work too, both very reliable, true workhorses...

We also go with desktop Compaqs and laptop IBMs. Had a nightmare with the 5 Dells in our office, but IBMs have been smooth -- worth the price.

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 06/27/05 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcbg25...

i recommend getting an apple ibook or a powerbook...

however if you can't take the plunge...

i've only had a thinkpad from work, but not sure what is happening since ibm sold their pc biz to the chinese...

get the toshiba fixed, and have two...

if you get a router for your internet connection you can have both connected and use them without the wires...

i've had the drive go on the thinkpad, but it was after 3 years of pretty heavy use. my ibook's ethernet port went but meaning to follow bibb's advice and get airport extreme.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't remember that advice . . . but then again, i don't remember much of anything . . . actually, unless you need to network your puters, get the airport express, so you can play itunes through your stereo. wirelessly! yeah! plus, the little brick is perfect for traveling.

let's just see a pc laptop do that.

PostPosted: 06/28/05 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thinkpad. Go Thinkpad. Tough as a Tari pick, reliable as Elena at the line, able to log more time than VJ and Stint put together. I've had mine since before the league started. I don't ask much of her, I grant you, but she does what I need of her. She's given me some drama occasionally, but she's come back from the dead too.

Or take the plunge and go to the Mac side of the Force.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: