RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Taurasi's Tactics In Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:09 pm    ::: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Diana Taurasi's elbows are as sharp as her wit. Washington's DeLisha Milton-Jones found this out Tuesday, and a brawl nearly ensued at the MCI Center.

Having endured Taurasi's physical antics, then hitting the deck after the two tangled between plays, Milton-Jones charged Taurasi with a cocked fist. Milton-Jones' teammate, Chasity Melvin, held her back to prevent an ugly scene, but the benches still cleared and accusations flew. Milton-Jones said Taurasi and the Mercury too often resort to cheap elbows and intentional collisions.

Milton-Jones likely over-reacted, but Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible. Viewed as an angel in these parts for her work toward three national titles at UConn, Taurasi doesn't play like one. She doesn't have to, and there isn't anything wrong with what she does necessarily.

Taurasi and Milton-Jones are elite players, elite interviews. Milton-Jones is one of the most soft-spoken, engaging and thoughtful players in the league. Taurasi is a joker, a wise guy.

Many assume the frustration of losing has led Taurasi to employ dirty tactics on the court as a way to vent. Idea

And this is from a Connecticut newspaper! Exclamation Shocked

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:26 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Admiral_Needa"][quote][Many assume the frustration of losing has led Taurasi to employ dirty tactics on the court as a way to vent. Idea

Not sure why you chose to delete the last part of the sentence:
Many assume the frustration of losing has led Taurasi to employ dirty tactics on the court as a way to vent. But she has always played a tough game. It's part of what makes her great.

Which is saying, basically, anyone who assumes that is dead wrong. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:31 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure why you chose to delete the last part of the sentence:

Not sure huh?
Admiral has "issues"....nuff said Laughing

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:38 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

Well if you want the whole article quoted next time, let me know Razz BTW, here's the rest of the sentences:

Quote:
It's also not surprising an opponent would take exception. Tina Thompson has played rough for years, and she will go down as one of the best players in WNBA history.

Which is saying, basically, that Diana does employ dirty tactics, as highlighted in the article's title... Idea

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:49 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Well if you want the whole article quoted next time, let me know Razz BTW, here's the rest of the sentences:

Quote:
It's also not surprising an opponent would take exception. Tina Thompson has played rough for years, and she will go down as one of the best players in WNBA history.

Which is saying, basically, that Diana does employ dirty tactics, as highlighted in the article's title... Idea

Look up assume in the dictionary...then look up does, they aren't the same.

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:59 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

The author already established that Diana employs dirty tactics.

Some people assume her dirty tactics are being employed because of her grand-scale losing.

However, the author says that Diana has always been a rough player, and believes her dirty tactics is a part of being good.

Bottom line, Diana uses dirty tactics. Idea

Nice try though, better luck next time lol... Laughing Mike Anthony: "Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible."

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think everybody needs to go back and review the difference between "sentence" and "paragraph." :rolleyes

Anyhow, I read the paragraph in question differently. I thought that writer was saying that many people are assuming that DT's recently highly publicized rough play is something new, the result of the frustration from losing BUT the truth is that she's played that way for years.

Then I think he goes on to say that many of the best players in the league also play rough, and that it's part and parcel of what makes them great players.

However, the writer's overall assessment apparently is that DT's play is -- and always has been -- "rough", not "dirty".

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:04 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi's Tactics In Question Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
The author already established that Diana employs dirty tactics.

Some people assume her dirty tactics are being employed because of her grand-scale losing.

However, the author says that Diana has always been a rough player, and believes her dirty tactics is a part of being good.

Bottom line, Diana uses dirty tactics. Idea

Nice try though, better luck next time lol... Laughing Mike Anthony: "Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible."

And I quote:
"Milton-Jones likely over-reacted, but Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible. Viewed as an angel in these parts for her work toward three national titles at UConn, Taurasi doesn't play like one. She doesn't have to, and there isn't anything wrong with what she does necessarily. She's not dirty, but she's not soft. She's willing to mix it up, as she does with colorful comments."

Nice try, honestly..its really stupid to take quotes out of context, and then supply a link to the reader..who is eventually going to find out what you did...

Last edited by mercfan3 on 06/26/05 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Admiral, you're saying that "tough" is the same as "dirty" ??
To me they're two totally different things.

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
So, Admiral, you're saying that "tough" is the same as "dirty" ??
To me they're two totally different things.

Can we all pitch in and buy Admiral a dictionary?
Obviously n advanced degree doesn't help in the little things like reading comprehension Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
I think everybody needs to go back and review the difference between "sentence" and "paragraph." :rolleyes

Anyhow, I read the paragraph in question differently. I thought that writer was saying that many people are assuming that DT's recently highly publicized rough play is something new, the result of the frustration from losing BUT the truth is that she's played that way for years.

Then I think he goes on to say that many of the best players in the league also play rough, and that it's part and parcel of what makes them great players.

However, the writer's overall assessment apparently is that DT's play is -- and always has been -- "rough", not "dirty".

Once again, well said Vandy... Idea

Diana definitely plays rough, although certain 'unbiased' people would have you believe otherwise, even though a Connecticut writer even says that "Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible." Laughing

But the question is, is rough dirty? The author says that both players are elite, along with Tina Thompson, who is known to play rough. Well, if people are calling Milton-Jones "dirty", then by the author's reasoning, Taurasi is also "dirty". Idea

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:

Diana definitely plays rough, although certain 'unbiased' people would have you believe otherwise, even though a Connecticut writer even says that "Taurasi's contention of innocence is hardly credible." Laughing

But the question is, is rough dirty? The author says that both players are elite, along with Tina Thompson, who is known to play rough. Well, if people are calling Milton-Jones "dirty", then by the author's reasoning, Taurasi is also "dirty". Idea

oy Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:

Taurasi hasn't tried to throw a punch at anyone....At least in a game Very Happy

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi hasn't tried to throw a punch at anyone....At least in a game Very Happy

So you've been talking to Jessika, huh, LOL It's a wonder she survived being dee's sister Wink

No Dee hasn't thrown a punch, or tried to trip anyone, or choke anyone.... but to certain master baiters, she's evil, but you know what? I think she can deal with that Shocked

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haters are Haters!

It's not going to matter one ounce what we say or point out, or what Diana says or (acyually) does. They are just going to continue to take things out of context and over react to the physical nature of play of one of the best players to have played this game.

Don't get baited! It's not worth the argument!

Cool Wink

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Quote:

So you've been talking to Jessika, huh, LOL It's a wonder she survived being dee's sister Wink

No Dee hasn't thrown a punch, or tried to trip anyone, or choke anyone.... but to certain master baiters, she's evil, but you know what? I think she can deal with that Shocked

LOL, no I haven't, but it wouldn't have shocked me if Taurasi had thrown a punch or two in the past...She didn't try and punch Jessika did she?? Exclamation

I'm actually really starting to think this whole Taurasi is a dirty player thing is funny..but it's just annoying when certain posters take EVERY QUOTE out of context, and even to the extent of chopping up the quotes.

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm actually really starting to think this whole Taurasi is a dirty player thing is funny..but it's just annoying when certain posters take EVERY QUOTE out of context, and even to the extent of chopping up the quotes.

LOL, it's like toying with a one legged cat, you know it's wrong but how can you resist Rolling Eyes it's soooo easy Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 06/26/05 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Quote:

LOL, it's like toying with a one legged cat, you know it's wrong but how can you resist Rolling Eyes it's soooo easy Twisted Evil

LMAO!!!! Well if you put it that way, let the games begin!!!!

MamaBristow

PostPosted: 06/26/05 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi is a very physical player, and I personally think she's a big ass whiner, but that doesn't mean that she is dirty. She plays a rough game, but so do a lot of players.

Lauren Jackson is a VERY physical player. In 2002 she was the main reason that Penicheiro spent most of the season on the sideline with that severely damaged shoulder. But LJ didn't do it on purpose. It was just the result of two very physical plays. No ill intent to injure. A friend of mine that's just a casual observer of the league started calling LJ "Dumptruck" because everytime she saw her in action, she just seemed to plow right into people and send them flying. My friend could tell that she wasn't trying to injure people, she was just big and strong.

Yolanda Griffith is pretty fierce and physical too, but not dirty. DeMya Walker, another example, while she has been the cause of a few injuries, she's not out to hurt people. (Unless it says Leslie on the back, then she will fuck her up!) But even then, she didn't go after Lisa.

The debate can go on and on, there are many players in the league that are physical, but they aren't thugs. There are THUGS in the game, people that just look like they are out to injure others, but I don't think that any of the players I mentioned are part of that company. They are just focused on more than others because they are high profile.

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is a great avatar mamabristow, it certainly defines physical play, LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: