RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DiMauro to Schlussel: f-you, you Coulter-wannabe bigot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 06/26/05 8:37 am    ::: DiMauro to Schlussel: f-you, you Coulter-wannabe bigot Reply Reply with quote

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=9E646176-6392-4AC2-988A-1549F6D06588

this is the best response I've seen yet.

MJ7

PostPosted: 06/26/05 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I completely agree with that! Very well written!

If only I thought she was sitting there actually regretting having written what she had. my guess - no such luck!

SassyFemme

PostPosted: 06/26/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, great writing. She said what a lot of us are thinking!

caune

PostPosted: 06/26/05 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. Ten seconds left, game tied, who among us would ever think of shouting, “don't pass it to the lesbian!”

LOL< do not give people any ideas OK?

Good column

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great response by Mike DiMauno...Im going to e mail him and tell him so...very well written...we should all e mail him.

stever

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Methinks Lil' Debbie still bears the scars of an unfortunate encounter in high school PE class?

Wink

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

great book cover....LOL

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 06/26/05 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“don't pass it to the lesbian!”

that's all but a direct quote of Navratilova in the fabulous anti-homophobia video from the women's sport foundation. Against the background of game shots, finishing with Charlotte's thrilling 3pointer to win the NCAA championship, Martina says: (paraphrased BIG time) ...because, in the end, with the game on the line, you don't care if the person who's taking the shot is black, white, jewish, straight or gay. You only care if they make the shot."

It's a beautiful video. Think you can get it at the Women's Sports Foundation site.

PostPosted: 06/26/05 3:08 pm    ::: Re: DiMauro to Schlussel: f-you, you Coulter-wannabe bigot Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=9E646176-6392-4AC2-988A-1549F6D06588

this is the best response I've seen yet.

Thanks for posting. I just wrote him a thank you email. Now, I'm wondering - you said this was the 'best response...yet' -- were there others? do you have links? Thanks.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:09 pm    ::: Re: DiMauro to Schlussel: f-you, you Coulter-wannabe bigot Reply Reply with quote

other responses in the print media:

Kayte Christensen:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0621kayte0621.html

Mallory Greitzer

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050609/OPINION0105/506090379/1038

plus, ya know, all of the crap we've been saying... Cool

Keegan

PostPosted: 06/26/05 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lil' Deb's probably getting excited so many people have responded. More than one response is a good article for her!

Really she's like the master baiter, same old record playing.
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 06/26/05 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting comment in the Rocherster article:

"Although I don't consider myself a feminist, I fully support women doing what they love without having to compete on the same field as men, whom, as it has been proven, have an innate physical advantage over the female sex."

Sorry, author, tho it may horrify you, your statement suggests you ARE a feminist, just don't know it. Shocked of course, the statement:

"as it has been proven, have an innate physical advantage over the female sex..."

hmmm.... I haven't researched this, but have vague memories of doing some reading about sports where WOMEN might have the advantage - endurance running (ugh!). And, while women might not have the upper body strength of men, men don't have the flexilbity women have - I'd LOVE to see college men try and execute a women's floor routine. Smile

But, when it gets to a women athletes vs. men athletes (tho, hmmm, i just watch Girlfight late last night) I defer to a comment that has its origins in the WSF (i think). It goes something like this: Lennox Lewis would wipe Oscar de la Hoya in the boxing ring - why? because they're dfferent weight classes. This doesn't mean Oscar is any less an athlete or boxer, it just means he's a different kind of boxer that Lennox. (though I know some boxing fans would have some choice things to say about pretty boy Hoya. Smile

PostPosted: 06/26/05 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forget Lennox Lewis, even a mediocre heavyweight like Lawrence Clay-Bey would kill Oscar de la Hoya.

It should hardly be surprising that men are better at traditional sports than women. The sports in question were invented by men and designed to take advantage of the areas in which men excel.

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that the Mike DiMauro column is an excellent response.

This is late in the conversation, but I only wish he'd edited out this line, because besides being strained, it's the kind of demagoguery that many hard-right conservatives engage in:

"If you are a member of the SS (Schlussel Sympathizers, who, go figure, share the same initials with a rather infamous organization for intolerance). . . ."

I mean "Schlussel Sympathizers" is his creation, right? So now she can say something along the line "if you dare to criticize 'the gay lifestyle' [one of their favorite demagogic constructs], they'll call you a Nazi, even if members of your own family were murdered by the Nazis" etc.

More importantly, a lot of general readers might see it as a cheap shot and feel some sympathy for Schlussel that she certainly doesn't deserve.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
I agree that the Mike DiMauro column is an excellent response.

This is late in the conversation, but I only wish he'd edited out this line, because besides being strained, it's the kind of demagoguery that many hard-right conservatives engage in:

"If you are a member of the SS (Schlussel Sympathizers, who, go figure, share the same initials with a rather infamous organization for intolerance). . . ."

I mean "Schlussel Sympathizers" is his creation, right? So now she can say something along the line "if you dare to criticize 'the gay lifestyle' [one of their favorite demagogic constructs], they'll call you a Nazi, even if members of your own family were murdered by the Nazis" etc.

More importantly, a lot of general readers might see it as a cheap shot and feel some sympathy for Schlussel that she certainly doesn't deserve.

It is a cheap shot. You're right that it undermines his response, but Schlussel is so infuritating its a wonder that he didn't have MORE cheap shots like that one. It's pretty hard to keep the 'high road' when responding to trash like her.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is hard. I have trouble with it myself. But we've got to stay disciplined to beat them--figure out who our audience is (the general public, I think--not the demagogues and their fans) and address that audience in winning ways.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/26/05 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
It is hard. I have trouble with it myself. But we've got to stay disciplined to beat them--figure out who our audience is (the general public, I think--not the demagogues and their fans) and address that audience in winning ways.

can't argue with that. you're assuredly a better woman (man?) than i. i'd like to pummel the crap out of schlussel. she's a friggin' idiot.

dukemayo

PostPosted: 06/27/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
you're assuredly a better woman (man?) than i. i'd like to pummel the crap out of schlussel. she's a friggin' idiot.

Man.
I'm going to research her on google. My hunch is that she's a right-wing entrepreneur, looking to build a reputation so she can rake in lucrative speaking and writing contracts. Most of what she says she doesn't believe nearly as strongly as she says it. That's my early impression. Deliberately evil, in other words.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/27/05 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's just a hater. She's been around awhile. She believes strongly in what she says.

I don't hate her. I feel sad for her.

Hoopsta1415

PostPosted: 06/27/05 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can't access the link...did anyone get a bugmenot email address to work for them?

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 06/27/05 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:

Man.
I'm going to research her on google. My hunch is that she's a right-wing entrepreneur, looking to build a reputation so she can rake in lucrative speaking and writing contracts. Most of what she says she doesn't believe nearly as strongly as she says it. That's my early impression. Deliberately evil, in other words.

yeah, I think that's sort of right, though maybe "deliberately controversial" or "deliberately crazy" is more the point.

The problem for Debbie is that Coulter has that market cornered. You can say what you will about Coulter, but she's the best at what she does. You can't out-Coulter Coulter.

Michelle Malkin has managed to cut a marginally original path by taking a pseudo-intellectual turn. But most of the others like Debbie are left out in the cold. Her ridiculously self-aggrandizing bio on her site is a good indication of what sort of career she has.

Anyway, I think you made a good point about the DiMauro column -- the Nazi stuff was a bit over-the-top. Especially when combined with his reference to Debbie's bio (grandparents Holocaust survivors, or some such). Still, I think it's overall a good piece.

Keegan makes a good point to, that we only make the trolls stronger by feeding them. Sometimes things like that are better if we just don't respond.

On the other hand, we can't make bigotry disappear by ignoring it. And it's nice when the response -- especially a direct anti-anti-gay response like that -- comes from a big-time and widely-read general sports columnist like DiMauro.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/27/05 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

On the other hand, we can't make bigotry disappear by ignoring it. And it's nice when the response -- especially a direct anti-anti-gay response like that -- comes from a big-time and widely-read general sports columnist like DiMauro.

FYI - I wrote DiMauro a "thank you" email and he wrote back (!) thanking ME for it. Even asked me if I made it up to Mohegan much (I said I was a Liberty STH, so he was wondering if I followed the team on the road, i guess). So, not only did I get a response from him, but even some 'small talk!' I'm impressed, but concerned that he didn't get too many 'thank you' letters, so those of you still considering doing so, here's his email:
m.dimauro@theday.com

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/27/05 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here's a link to her column.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2005/06/lesbian_basketb.html

what a stupid b!tch.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/27/05 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if she'll respond to this. She responded (not very well though) to Kayte's...

gumption72

PostPosted: 06/27/05 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, I didn’t click onto this thread because I figured it was another one of those rightwingstupidpeopleintheredstates-hatefilled posts that I have to try to avoid… hey, at least there was warning in the title unlike some of the threads that start out to be about basketball, then turn into political agenda, but could turn back into interesting bb info, then will sadly be lost for me.

It amazes me that some of you know exactly how it feels to be a minority, but have no compassion for other minorities who you deem unworthy by your imposed standards, and it hurts. I try to be very respectful. There are many times I could jump in and say something, but I don’t. There are many hurtful things said, but I just bite my lip. How would you like it if it were the other way? I stay because I love and appreciate the info (freely given) and especially the humor. I guess I just have to live with the rest. Shit. I told myself I wouldn’t ever whine and say this stuff. Now I’ve gone and done it. But I digress.

But I’m glad I clicked on this thread. Believe me, even though I am a republichick (well, more libertarian, but I like the word with the chick in it) <ducking the tomatoes> I am horrified at the majority of my ‘friends’ (not all) and fellow political believers’ (again, not all) attitudes. I do my best proclaiming the truth about the WNBA and issues surrounding it. Can you admit that Schlussel is a complete asshole and ranks among the elite of idiots/trash? I/they don’t all believe the crap like Debbie does, just like none of you are bad people (well, most of you, Wink ), and I make sure people know that.

I have e-mailed Debbie a few times. I usually personally write to these types of idiots. I had never heard of Debbie before this article she wrote. These letters are coming from a fellow straight republican (I include that info only because I think that might actually help associate with her own 'kind', I know, pathetic) who happens to be a WNBA fan (me), and I have sent in my responses and copies of her article to Ms Orender, Sean Hannity (yep), Laura Ingraham, (WH reminded me of Michelle Malkin!), some local radio hosts, and local sports writers. I am sickened, but also glad that this has come to the light. There is so much more to this than the WNBA or feminism or even politics. I, like you, couldn’t have said it any better than Mr DiMauro, and I will tell him so.

And just so you know, we aren’t all complete rank and file haters, even though you may want to make that brush stroke nice and wide. Remember, lure with carrots, not beatings, like we have to beaten (beat them??? One of you did mention we/I need that).

Now I believe I have probably solidified my troll status. Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Last edited by gumption72 on 06/27/05 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: