RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Parker's not queen of the world, just yet.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:07 pm    ::: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-08-14-parker_N.htm

Quote:
Maher, the China coach, thinks Australia's Lauren Jackson, his former pupil, is the best women's basketball player in the world. He also thinks Parker is destined to ascend that throne one day soon.

"She's the whole package," Maher says. "She's smart. She's bloody gorgeous. It's just not fair. God picks and chooses."

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Asked if playing here is a first step to becoming a global icon, like Mia Hamm, she replied, "It is. It's something I have looked forward to forever."

Which is precisely why she is never likely to reach the level of a Mia Hamm, whose genuine humility people found captivating.

At least she doesn't try to fake it.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:19 pm    ::: Re: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-08-14-parker_N.htm

Quote:
Maher, the China coach, thinks Australia's Lauren Jackson, his former pupil, is the best women's basketball player in the world. He also thinks Parker is destined to ascend that throne one day soon.

"She's the whole package," Maher says. "She's smart. She's bloody gorgeous. It's just not fair. God picks and chooses."

Nice quick-hit article. I think she's doing really well actually, playing her role as she said. I would think people would be used to that by now, lol. They said the same thing about her, her first year playing at UT "she should be doing this", "she should be doing that". Parker has always just let the game come to her. If she's in a position and needs to score 20 ppg, she'll do it. If she needs to pass to the hot hand or whoever is in better position, she does that. It's really always been my favorite part of her game.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:24 pm    ::: Re: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

personally, I think she's looked quite uncomfortable..or something's not right...

and she's still putting up great numbers for the minutes she's getting..

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Classic Mia Hamm moment -- post game at Athens she comes down to meet Roy Williams and Larry Brown and ask for a photo. She stretches out her hand and says, "Hi, I'm Mia Hamm."

Like there's a chance in hell they wouldn't know... Smile

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:31 pm    ::: Re: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
personally, I think she's looked quite uncomfortable..or something's not right...

Well to be honest, no one's looked quite comfortable. The only people who look totally free and comfortable are Kara and Catchings and I think that's because both are just thrilled to be playing.

With that being said, the only game Parker didn't look comfortable in, to me was the first one. Since then she looks like she's settled into her role of just giving her all on both ends for 4 minute spurts.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:32 pm    ::: Re: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Well to be honest, no one's looked quite comfortable. The only people who look totally free and comfortable are Kara and Catchings and I think that's because both are just thrilled to be playing.

With that being said, the only game Parker didn't look comfortable in, to me was the first one. Since then she looks like she's settled into her role of just giving her all on both ends for 4 minute spurts.

there's a difference, like Sue looks like Sue..Diana looks like Diana...Tina looks like Tina..

Granted, Leslie hasn't looked right either..maybe they are adjusting too guards who can pass.. Wink

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:
Asked if playing here is a first step to becoming a global icon, like Mia Hamm, she replied, "It is. It's something I have looked forward to forever."

Which is precisely why she is never likely to reach the level of a Mia Hamm, whose genuine humility people found captivating.

How do you equate her response with lacking humility? The girl did play soccer, has always been a big Mia Hamm fan and has dreamed of being in the Olympics.

She won't reach it after this Olympics though, as she nor anyone else is the "star" of a well balanced team. Mia had all the hype going into, during and after her last Olympics outing. Every time the media mentions the women's team, the first person they always reference is Lisa Leslie, sadly. It's like none of the young studs exist and once again the casual fan is relegated to hearing and seeing Lisa Leslie once again with regards to US women's hoops.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

How do you equate her response with lacking humility? The girl did play soccer, has always been a big Mia Hamm fan and has dreamed of being in the Olympics.

She won't reach it after this Olympics though, as she nor anyone else is the "star" of a well balanced team. Mia had all the hype going into, during and after her last Olympics outing. Every time the media mentions the women's team, the first person they always reference is Lisa Leslie, sadly. It's like none of the young studs exist and once again the casual fan is relegated to hearing and seeing Lisa Leslie once again with regards to US women's hoops.

What's wrong w/ Lisa being the face of the team? She is a veteran, and pretty famous too.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:41 pm    ::: Re: Parker's not queen of the world, just yet. Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

there's a difference, like Sue looks like Sue..Diana looks like Diana...Tina looks like Tina..

Granted, Leslie hasn't looked right either..maybe they are adjusting too guards who can pass.. Wink

I disagree about both Diana and Tina. I don't watch enough Sue to know. Candace looks like the Candace I've seen in several UT games throughout her career in which the other players were giving the business to the other team and she wasn't needed as heavily. Grant it, that wasn't a lot of games, but I've seen it.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

What's wrong w/ Lisa being the face of the team? She is a veteran, and pretty famous too.

Nothing, it's just that it seems the casual fan is never introduced to anyone else. We need the sport to grow and the media needs to show the DT's, Seimones, Sylvias and Cappies, not 50 million close ups of Lisa. It's like there are no other players the US has had in the last 10 years. But it's all good. This is likely Lisa's last Olympics, so perhaps all the extra Lisa coverage is for that reason.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so funny 2 me lol, Candace only had a few bad plays in the first game. She's been much better then. I guess people think if she doesn't score 20 points she's not having a good game. Candace will be the biggest Womens B Ball player EVER. Disagree with that if ya want I don't care lol its' true.... Very Happy

And lol @ Candace lacking humility, funniest stuff I have read on here today lol...

Last edited by mikey87 on 08/14/08 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
LT041

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

Nothing, it's just that it seems the casual fan is never introduced to anyone else. We need the sport to grow and the media needs to show the DT's, Seimones, Sylvias and Cappies, not 50 million close ups of Lisa. It's like there are no other players the US has had in the last 10 years. But it's all good. This is likely Lisa's last Olympics, so perhaps all the extra Lisa coverage is for that reason.

So you're saying that Taurasi, Augustus, Fowles, and Pondexter get no attention? And honestly, I don't think Lisa is the one getting the most attention in the sport/WNBA right now.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

So you're saying that Taurasi, Augustus, Fowles, and Pondexter get no attention? And honestly, I don't think Lisa is the one getting the most attention in the sport/WNBA right now.

I'm not talking about the WNBA. I'm strictly talking about the Olympic coverage of the women's team.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've thought Parker's gotten the most attention, personally. Lisa maybe has gotten more...but both are only slightly, for the most part..it's been about the team.

It's some of our opinions that she hasn't played that great (for her.) Tina and Fowles have out played Parker and Lisa..and most wouldn't have expected that.

There's nothing wrong with saying that Parker just doesn't look adjusted yet. I'm sure she will. Heck, Kobe Bryant doesn't really look adjusted yet..it's a different style, and she needs to find her role, and get used to what she needs to do. Her stats are pretty good, but she's getting a lot of minutes at the end of games too..(don't forget that..and I like that she has been..I want her adjusted and comfortable and playing at her best now that I can actually root for her..)

PostPosted: 08/14/08 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

I'm not talking about the WNBA. I'm strictly talking about the Olympic coverage of the women's team.

Well is it really a huge deal then? It's only 1 tournament where she's getting the most attention. After this is over, she along w/ the rest of the team, will go back to the W and things will be back to normal. Don't see what the problem is.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:
Quote:

Well is it really a huge deal then? It's only 1 tournament where she's getting the most attention. After this is over, she along w/ the rest of the team, will go back to the W and things will be back to normal. Don't see what the problem is.

Are you kidding me? As far as exposure both nationally and internationally, this is the biggest stage for athletes and thusly their respective sports and sports leagues. That the casual fan on the biggest sports stage has seen predominantly Lisa Leslie for the past ten years, since the 1996, isn't gonna garner very many new fans to women's basketball.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:

Are you kidding me? As far as exposure both nationally and internationally, this is the biggest stage for athletes and thusly their respective sports and sports leagues. That the casual fan on the biggest sports stage has seen predominantly Lisa Leslie for the past ten years, since the 1996, isn't gonna garner very many new fans to women's basketball.

Uhh...you just said that you were strickly talking about the Olympic coverage of the womens team. Not the WNBA or the sport.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I've thought Parker's gotten the most attention, personally. Lisa maybe has gotten more...but both are only slightly, for the most part..it's been about the team.

It's some of our opinions that she hasn't played that great (for her.) Tina and Fowles have out played Parker and Lisa..and most wouldn't have expected that.

There's nothing wrong with saying that Parker just doesn't look adjusted yet. I'm sure she will. Heck, Kobe Bryant doesn't really look adjusted yet..it's a different style, and she needs to find her role, and get used to what she needs to do. Her stats are pretty good, but she's getting a lot of minutes at the end of games too..(don't forget that..and I like that she has been..I want her adjusted and comfortable and playing at her best now that I can actually root for her..)

I've only seen one Parker interview, other than that, I haven't seen or heard much Parker talk when she wasn't actually playing. When the US marched in during the opening ceremonies and they mentioned women's basketball, they showed Lisa. When they showed the team during the mens game, they focused on Lisa Leslie. If you go to the Olympic site, there are about 5 videos for women's basketball and all of them have something to do with Lisa Leslie. When they show a shot of the bench, they usually find Lisa first and often.

I have nothing against Lisa, it's just like dang, there are 11 other studs playing in a USA uniform, NBC. Like I said, it could be because this is her last Olympics.

I didn't say there was something wrong with saying Parker is still getting adjusted, it's just that imo, she's been adjusted since after the first game. I quite honestly don't know what people are expecting of her. She's averaging around 10 ppg with an All-Star team. Hell when she was with the national team the last time and she got rave reviews she was only averaging 12 ppg. You mean she goes from excellent to "something's wrong" with an overall decrease of 2 points? Shocked

Last edited by luvDhoops on 08/14/08 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
gpark33

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's really more a question that everyone has to adjust their role on this team. Obviously I'd be lying to you if I said I was playing up to my full potential here. I expect to grow as the Games go on. … The most important thing is to win the gold medal.

In other words, it's a team game and she doesn't need to take over the game for the team to win the gold, yet. She's playing her role.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Uhh...you just said that you were strickly talking about the Olympic coverage of the womens team. Not the WNBA or the sport.

Read all of my posts LT041. The exposure the women's team or any sport gets from the Olympics often carries over to their respective leagues. That's why if all the casual observer has seen as far as exposure during the Olympics since 1996 is Lisa Leslie, it's not likely to convert anyone into being a new women's basketball fan overall.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Read all of my posts LT041. The exposure the women's team or any sport gets from the Olympics often carries over to their respective leagues. That's why if all the casual observer has seen as far as exposure during the Olympics since 1996 is Lisa Leslie, it's not likely to convert anyone into being a new women's basketball fan overall.

Uhhh...I did read all your posts. You still don't make sense to me.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I've only seen one Parker interview, other than that, I haven't seen or heard much Parker talk when she wasn't actually playing. When the US marched in during the opening ceremonies and they mentioned women's basketball, they showed Lisa. When they showed the team during the means game, they focused on Lisa Leslie. If you go to the Olympic site, there are about 5 videos for women's basketball and all of them have something to do with Lisa Leslie. When they show a shot of the bench, they usually find Lisa first and often.

I have nothing against Lisa, it's just like dang, there are 11 other studs playing in a USA uniform, NBC. Like I said, it could be because this is her last Olympics.

I didn't say there was something wrong with saying Parker is still getting adjusted, it's just that imo, she's been adjusted since after the first game. I quite honestly don't know what people are expecting of her. She's averaging around 10 ppg with an All-Star team. Hell when she was with the national team the last time and she got rave reviews she was only averaging 12 ppg. You mean she goes from excellent to "something's wrong" with an overall decrease of 2 points? Shocked

You are going by stats, rather than watching.
Don't forget, she's getting the "scrub" minutes as well. So yeah, she's gonna be the odds on favorite to score more. She just hasn't looked right. Lisa's been putting up big stats too (and she's an even bigger example) but she hasn't looked good (with the exception of the last game)

God forbid anyone say anything less than Parker's perfect..

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
LT041 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Uhhh...I did read all your posts. You still don't make sense to me.

I don't know how else to explain it to you.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

God forbid anyone say anything less than Parker's perfect..

Oh, of course if we don't say she's perfect, or even give someone besides her the attention at the Olympics, we're just being "haters". Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: