RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Swedish wrestler throws down medal, quits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/14/08 12:18 pm    ::: Swedish wrestler throws down medal, quits Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian threw down his greco-roman bronze medal in protest on Thursday after his bid for Olympic gold was ended by a decision denounced by the Swedish coach as “politics.”

Abrahamian took the bronze from around his neck during the medal ceremony, stepped from the podium and dropped it in the middle of the wrestling mat then walked off.

“I don’t care about this medal. I wanted gold,” he said.

“This will be my last match. I wanted to take gold, so I consider this Olympics a failure,” he said.

Neutral

Last edited by bballequalslife on 08/14/08 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
MH122

Location: Bus Town/ The Hall/Cap City...Whatever they call it these days

PostPosted: 08/14/08 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hahahaha...If he was smart he would put it on ebay (If they have one) and see what he can get off of it

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flashing back to the mens' basketball team's silver....

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the article but I'm having trouble getting what the decision was that upset the guy.
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Far far different story. The Americans were cheated out of the medal, there's been plenty of stories documenting that debacle.
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are some pics in there that show him very upset during the match that he played against the dude from Italy that eventually won the gold medal.

It looks like he thinks he should've won that match. (Surprise.) I would assume that's the 'politics' the article talks about.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah it was kinda confusing to me too!!! based on what's on the article, he sounds like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way...STFU asshole!!! I'll glady take a bronze freaking medal at ANYTHING. Of course I'd prefer the gold too, but hot damn, people would KILL for a chance at what he just gave away!

Youth Coach wrote:
I read the article but I'm having trouble getting what the decision was that upset the guy.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He can donate it to the U.S. Twisted Evil We're one medal behind China right now, anyway.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/14/08 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There have been some complaints (as always Rolling Eyes ) about the judging, so I figure that's where this one comes from. I've heard them in boxing. And kage also gave a pretty good play-by-play/reaction shot of the judo and how the points awarded were questionable. I figured it was something similar here.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our government . . . {{cough}} (Bush) has p.o.'d a lot of countries around the world. I would be surprised if there weren't SOME bias somewhere in the judging. I was getting a little suspicious of the officiating of the US/Greece game this morning. But it all "came out in the wash."

I guess the Swedish have p.o.'d some other countries too. Wink
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/14/08 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
RedEqualsLuck wrote:

Far far different story. The Americans were cheated out of the medal, there's been plenty of stories documenting that debacle.

I know -- I have clear memories of watching it....

it's similar in that they didn't show up and this guy got pissy and tossed his medal because of what he called politics.

the us was cheated out of the medal by politics

PostPosted: 08/14/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
There have been some complaints (as always Rolling Eyes ) about the judging, so I figure that's where this one comes from. I've heard them in boxing...

Speaking of boxing, I still remember that South Korean boxer (can't remember his name) who felt that he was "robbed" out of a match during the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. He pouted, and stayed inside the ring, about one full hour after the match ended.

ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/14/08 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

unfortunately, judged events are at the mercy of people who might have an 'axe to grind' for a boxing event, you best best is to take it out of the hands of the judges and just knock you opponent out, lol, easier said than done.

I think this was some kind of wrestling event? if it were up to me all judged events except boxing would be taking out of olympics.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with the boxing is that three judges (out of 5 total I think) have to press a button to score a blow within a second of each other for that blow to count as a point. And in order to qualify as a "blow" a punch is supposed to be struck by the white part of the glove between the knuckles.

Given the fact that these fighters wear headgear, there is every incentive to throw a huge flurry of punches without worrying about protecting yourself...especially if very few punches get scored. You've gotta throw a bunch just to have a chance of getting enough scored to win. I am not suggesting that fighters should not wear headgear. Instead what I am saying is that given the scoring system with the huge volume of punches, a fight is next to impossible to score. Throw in there that body punches almost never get scored. And body punches are the ones most likely to slow a fighter down, but there's no incentive to throw them. So what you have is two fighters whaling away at each others' heads for 4 rounds...boxing under this structure is almost impossible to score.

You can't even tell under these circumstances if there is deliberate injustice being served, or if the scoring system makes it impossible to judge fairly.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 08/14/08 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MH122 wrote:
hahahaha...If he was smart he would put it on ebay (If they have one) and see what he can get off of it

seriously. that's some pretty sweet hardware.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ulynxfan wrote:
unfortunately, judged events are at the mercy of people who might have an 'axe to grind' for a boxing event, you best best is to take it out of the hands of the judges and just knock you opponent out, lol, easier said than done.

I think this was some kind of wrestling event? if it were up to me all judged events except boxing would be taking out of olympics.

With the headgear the odds of that happening in a four round bout are extremely unlikely.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you participate in a sport with judges, it's just a matter of time before you get screwed by them.

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ill translate it better...

"Im a grown up baby who has been brainwashed for 4 years that I would win Gold and only Gold, and no other medal is acceptable, so now I will throw a fit like a baby and not accept this medal...plus the insane amount of testosterone in my body play's into the equation as well. And even though I dont diserve it, if you promise to give me a fake Gold medal, I will happily come back and accept it...please?"

PostPosted: 08/14/08 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Yeah it was kinda confusing to me too!!! based on what's on the article, he sounds like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way...STFU asshole!!! I'll glady take a bronze freaking medal at ANYTHING. Of course I'd prefer the gold too, but hot damn, people would KILL for a chance at what he just gave away!

It would have been so easy to just have the bronze medal gold plated when he got home. Rolling Eyes

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/14/08 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO!!!! Laughing Ain't that the truth!!! Smile

Slovydal wrote:

It would have been so easy to just have the bronze medal gold plated when he got home. Rolling Eyes[/quote]

PostPosted: 08/14/08 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if after a few days, weeks, years he changes his mind and wants the medal.

Will it go to the Swedish federation to hold if he wants it?

Or will the IOC hang on to it and when/if he gets on his knees and apologizes to the IOC, China and the gold and silver medalists will they give it to him?

PostPosted: 08/14/08 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
Ill translate it better...

"Im a grown up baby who has been brainwashed for 4 years that I would win Gold and only Gold, and no other medal is acceptable, so now I will throw a fit like a baby and not accept this medal...plus the insane amount of testosterone in my body play's into the equation as well. And even though I dont diserve it, if you promise to give me a fake Gold medal, I will happily come back and accept it...please?"

Laughing Laughing

That about sums it up.

bludev03

PostPosted: 08/14/08 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
He can donate it to the U.S. Twisted Evil We're one medal behind China right now, anyway.

Track & Field will take place soon....USA's about to rack up!

bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/14/08 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. We finally found a sport that we excel in that China sucks at. That sport is track and field. Razz

Sass

PostPosted: 08/15/08 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish WNBA players had something to throw down when a ref made a shitty call. They would need a lot of them, though.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: