RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spanish Team Picture Insults Chinese
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/13/08 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I just gave my opinion! Nothing more. There's racism everywhere. It's not exclusive to any one country. Like I said, it's stupid and inappropriate, but I STILL don't think it's racist.

And I gave MY opinion. Yes, there is racism everywhere. No, it's not exclusive to one country. However, this gesture IS racist in my book, and I'm not alone in thinking that. I'm not Chinese or Chinese-American, but I've discussed the issue with those of Chinese descent who do find the gesture to be quite racist. As I said earlier, had the Chinese basketball teams dressed themselves up like matadors and if the Dynasty started calling himself Yao Maria Ming, I'm sure the Spaniards wouldn't take kindly to that jab.

How can you honestly say that slanting one's eyes isn't racist? Shocked My goodness, were you (and mmaniac) born yesterday or something? Poking fun at a facial feature that's common to a particular race is RACIST.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/13/08 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In the photo, all the players are slanting their eyes with both hands. Notably, two NBA players are in the picture: L.A. Lakers forward-center Pau Gasol and his brother Marc Gasol, a center with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Hello David Stern! Guess it's more important to crack down on corn rows and Sean John, huh? Rolling Eyes

Also pictured is the starting point guard for the racists, Jose Manuel Calderon (#8; starting point guard for the NBA's Toronto Raptors). Nice display of leadership. Rolling Eyes Hopefully Chris Bosh (yes, his NBA teammate) sets a dozen bone-jarring screens on this flopping POS.

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=3&ArticleId=2146

Quote:
Sadly, this news isn't surprising, since the Spaniards are well known for their rampant racism. In 2004, Spain's soccer manager, Luis Aragonés, publicly referred to French footballer Thierry Henry as "that black sh*t" while monkey chants greeted Henry and other black soccer players on the field

Anyone who insults Thierry is a certified POS.

Quote:
British race car driver Lewis Hamilton (who is black) experienced similar abuse during a competition in Barcelona, with Spanish fans sporting blackface and T-shirts that read "Hamilton's family." (see picture)

Aren't they a lovely bunch? Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, here's what Jason Kidd has to say regarding the issue:

Quote:
U.S. Olympic basketball player Jason Kidd, a point guard for the Dallas Mavericks, was shocked when he first saw the photo. “We would’ve been already thrown out of the Olympics,” he told Yahoo Sports. “At least, we wouldn’t have been able to come back to the U.S...There would be suspensions.”

Mathies to LA 2013
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/13/08 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, I thought Europeans were supposed to be so much more advanced and sophisticated than the rest of the world. Laughing Rolling Eyes

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/13/08 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I think the simplest way to solve this, is the next time the Spanish teams play at the arena is that someone "accidentally" turn all the lights off and let everyone in there "introduce" Chinese culture to the Spaniards for about ten minutes.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
BTW, I thought Europeans were supposed to be so much more advanced and sophisticated than the rest of the world. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Maybe it is just the Northern Europeans.......

*still trying to figure out how to mock my fellow norweigans*

????

PostPosted: 08/13/08 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one ever said David Stern wasn't a hypocritical Johnny Come Lately. It doesn't impact his bottom line in the States so it doesn't matter. When Middle and Corporate America were "scared" of the big bad braided and blinged thugs, the league had an image problem that had to be corrected at once with borderline discrimination and elitist rhetoric while completely ignoring the glaring on court issues he's supposed to be governing. Team Bronze went over to Greece and acted like assholes and damn near everyone in the world had an opinion that Stern took as an excuse to generalize a whole league. But this gets a pass? Rolling Eyes He can't even chalk it up to this being an incident unrelated to the NBA when a) they're on the payroll and b) if this were Anthony, Boozer and Howard instead of Marc, Pau and Jose, he'd have denounced and rejected before the picture even developed.

Spain's damage control sounds like that of a bunch of mentally underdeveloped assholes and the fact that not one of them had the balls to stand up to the "sponsors" says a lot about the type of men and women we're dealing with here. Then again, the way Pau disappeared against KG, I can't say I'm surprised.
sambista

PostPosted: 08/13/08 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i would allow that this isn't racism, per se - the debate about the word itself is not the point - but it's certainly in the spirit of distasteful things that are attached to the word.

we know what it is, don't even have to give it a word. incredibly, incredibly stupid.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fervent women's basketball fan and senior sportswriter Harvey Araton of the New York Times has an article on-line today about this issue. So far, there are 135 comments: mine is #18.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/sports/olympics/14araton.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/08 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:

Not sure it's that easy to make a sweeping generalisation like that about an entire continent with any accuracy.

eg. If the Borat documentary taught me anything it is that Kazakhstan is not as sophisticated as I had imagined.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than the fact that seems like the claim that Europeans are superior to the rest of the world is BS---and I don't need things like this to take place to convince me---I was just poking fun. Cool

And that 'generalisation' [sic] is no less accurate than said claim, anyway.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/08 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. Either way this was a pretty retarded thing for the Spaniards to have done.
I'd call it stupid more than racist, but whatever you want to call it, you would think that somewhere along the line someone would have known better.
It's the kind of thing you'd be disappointed to see in a schoolyard full of 9 year olds.

Last edited by Luuuc on 08/13/08 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/08 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[sorry, repeat post]

PostPosted: 08/13/08 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
i would allow that this isn't racism, per se - the debate about the word itself is not the point - but it's certainly in the spirit of distasteful things that are attached to the word.

we know what it is, don't even have to give it a word. incredibly, incredibly stupid.

Have to agree - stupid sums it up on every level.

A person can make fun of a stereotypical physical or cultural aspect attributed to a particular race without considering that race to be inferior or having hatred or intolerance for that race.

But stupid to do something totally unnecessary that will be potentially that hurtful or insulting.

And perception is reality in most cases - the only known fact out there for all the world to see is the action with true intent being an assumption...and people usually make assuptions based on their personal experience...and too many people have experienced similar behavior from racist individuals.

Stupid to think you won't be considered racist for acting in a manner that a racist person would...even if you harbor no feelings of hatred, intolerance or racial superiority.

I just can't believe that one person didn't say - not funny won't do it or even funny, but bad idea - don't want to give the wrong impression...to me it's totally such a stupid decision that it can't have any meaning...beyond "hey - we're stupid".

Slovydal

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being so ignorant as to not know that something is racist does not mean that it isn't racist.

Fuck Spain.

mmaniac

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't most racists acts stem from ignorance?

Wasn't born yesterday and have been on the end of racial attacks and have to say most attacks come from ignorance and fear.

To me the worst part is that after if being discovered, Spain has defended what it has done and has no remorse.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
If we "let it die", then these idiots will continue to perpetuate their racist ways. Hello people, they have a recent history of racist behavior. Remember what the Spanish asshole said regarding Thierry Henry, one of the best footballers on the face of the planet? Remember the racing incident involving another famous black athlete? And we should just let those incidents, along with this newest one, go by the wayside? Hell no! I say take a stand against this foolishness and stop letting these assholes off the hook. Say "NO" to Madrid in 2016!

Had this been the USA men's and women's basketball teams, our players would've been crucified worldwide. David Stern would've practically banned all black players from the NBA. Rolling Eyes The Spaniards know what they're doing. They're hiding under the "they don't know better" umbrella that's protected them for CENTURIES. Poor insensitive Euros don't know any better despite being notorious for this behavior. "Let it die?" Like hell I will! The Spaniards are going to do this again because they know they can continue to get away with it.

Excellent.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah! Let's all take a stand against racist stereotyping by judging an entire country based on the actions of a tiny minority of its citizens. That sounds like a rational thing to do.
Fuck Spain.

Rob Riggle not only made the "slant eye" face on The Daily Show a few nights ago, but he also added some voice stereotyping and threw in the word "chink" to top it off.
Fuck America.

Seriously though, I'd be interested to know what the context of the advertisement was.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I wasn't born yesterday and just in case I'm quite intelligent too. But I'm sorry I don't think it's racist. Stupid & inappropriate, YES but not racist.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who think like you and woopeeee for you. I just don't think that it's that big of a deal! PC is WAY overrated!

bballfan2005 wrote:

How can you honestly say that slanting one's eyes isn't racist? Shocked My goodness, were you (and mmaniac) born yesterday or something? Poking fun at a facial feature that's common to a particular race is RACIST.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not necessarily more advanced and/or sophisticated but certainly not as uptight as Americans. It's a different mindset. That's a fact.

bballequalslife wrote:

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Herring jokes??? Laughing Laughing

[quote="shrrew"]

*still trying to figure out how to mock my fellow norweigans*

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.theimproper.com/Template_Article.aspx?IssueId=3&ArticleId=2146

Quote:
Sadly, this news isn't surprising, since the Spaniards are well known for their rampant racism. In 2004, Spain's soccer manager, Luis Aragonés, publicly referred to French footballer Thierry Henry as "that black sh*t" while monkey chants greeted Henry and other black soccer players on the field

Anyone who insults Thierry is a certified POS.

Quote:
British race car driver Lewis Hamilton (who is black) experienced similar abuse during a competition in Barcelona, with Spanish fans sporting blackface and T-shirts that read "Hamilton's family." (see picture)

Aren't they a lovely bunch? Rolling Eyes

"Cute" how they spelled family f-a-m-i-l-l-y. Very sad.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/13/08 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand all this. Some Spaniards make a demeaning gesture to the Chinese and the people most upset about it are the Americans?

It's a not very funny joke presented to people who don't understand the intent of it that's being derided by people with no sense of humor at all. Why is this even worth discussion? Say "shame on you, Spain" and let's move on.

Shame on you, Spain.

PostPosted: 08/13/08 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not sure I understand all this. Some Spaniards make a demeaning gesture to the Chinese and the people most upset about it are the Americans?

It's a not very funny joke presented to people who don't understand the intent of it that's being derided by people with no sense of humor at all. Why is this even worth discussion? Say "shame on you, Spain" and let's move on.

Shame on you, Spain.

So you were elected voice of reason for the day - I knew early this morning it wasn't me Very Happy

I really WANT to discuss the different perspectives on racism - just to better understand the different perspectives.

But Pilight -- you are completely right! Well said and moving on...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/14/08 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Confused Since when are Chinese citizens of China considered to be minorities? They make up 90% of the population in China. They aren't likely to be offended by the gesture because they haven't encountered it from racist whites in the west.

Chinese-Americans, on the other hand, are understandably offended by the act. As direct targets of the "slant eyes" gesture from western whites dating back as far as their early youth, they consider the "slant eyes" gesture to be a put-down with the intent of making Chinese-Americans feel bad about having "different" features (and this "teasing" drives many Asian-Americans, especially those of Chinese descent, to become self-loathers). If Chinese-Americans are, by and large, offended by the gesture and consider it to be racist, then it's racist. End of discussion.

Mathies to LA 2013
shrrew

PostPosted: 08/14/08 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double-post sorry.....

Last edited by shrrew on 08/14/08 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: