RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tape Delay by NBC Faces End Run by Online Fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:20 am    ::: Tape Delay by NBC Faces End Run by Online Fans Reply Reply with quote

By BRIAN STELTER
Published: August 8, 2008
NBC, which owns the exclusive rights to broadcast the Olympics in the United States, spent most of Friday trying to keep it that way.

NBC’s decision to delay broadcasting the opening ceremonies by 12 hours sent people across the country to their computers to poke holes in NBC’s technological wall — by finding newsfeeds on foreign broadcasters’ Web sites and by watching clips of the ceremonies on YouTube and other sites.

In response, NBC sent frantic requests to Web sites, asking them to take down the illicit clips and restrict authorized video to host countries. As the four-hour ceremony progressed, a game of digital whack-a-mole took place. Network executives tried to regulate leaks on the Web and shut down unauthorized video, while viewers deftly traded new links on blogs and on the Twitter site, redirecting one another to coverage from, say, Germany, or a site with a grainy Spanish-language video stream.

As the first Summer Games of the broadband age commenced in China, old network habits have never seemed so archaic — or so irrelevant.

“The Olympics to me is a benchmark for how fast we’ve gone with technology,” Brad Adgate, the senior vice president for research at Horizon Media, a media buying firm in New York, said. “Thirty months ago, no one was talking about YouTube. Now, it’s a verb."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/sports/olympics/09nbc.html

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly support the end-around. It's ridiculous how NBC ran it. It would have made more sense to broadcast it live, then re-broadcast in prime time, or do some sort of best moments recap in prime time. Because there's still a large percentage of the population that had to go to work, etc. so it's not like there wouldn't be any viewers.

Bravo, all the broadbanders for putting egg on NBC face. Cool

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
I wholeheartedly support the end-around. It's ridiculous how NBC ran it. It would have made more sense to broadcast it live, then re-broadcast in prime time, or do some sort of best moments recap in prime time. Because there's still a large percentage of the population that had to go to work, etc. so it's not like there wouldn't be any viewers.

except they couldn't sell the notion to advertisers that they'd get full bang for their bucks.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Olympics in Beijing are 12 hours ahead. They have to pre-package some of it.

But, they should at least show it live, and then re-broadcast it or something. To flat out hold it out until 8est is stupid.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
norwester wrote:

except they couldn't sell the notion to advertisers that they'd get full bang for their bucks.

But if you show it twice you can sell twice as many ads and make up the difference. The advertisers need to realise the model has changed as well - defeats the whole point of them buying advertising space if no one is watching because they all found it online already.

It's moronic, frankly. It never made sense to me that so much of your coverage was tape-delayed in the past, but with the development of online streaming (and mass media that means everyone knows the results of things as they happen unless you actively avoid them) it now makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. NBC needs to wake up - show as much as possible live, and put together prime-time highlight shows for the people who can only watch at those times. It's not complicated.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i agree. it should have been live and then replayed at primetime.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Seattle, Comcast carries the Canadian Broadcasting Co's Vancouver, B.C. TV channel. Watching the opening ceremonies live: priceless! Very Happy

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked I'm stunned that you guys didn't have the choice of watching it live. Why pay those huge $$$ for the broadcast rights only to wait 12 hours?? Nuts...

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sambista wrote:
norwester wrote:

But if you show it twice you can sell twice as many ads and make up the difference. The advertisers need to realise the model has changed as well - defeats the whole point of them buying advertising space if no one is watching because they all found it online already.

i agree completely. but if you look at (american) tv as an industry, these guys aren't exactly brainiacs. too many industries continue to underestimate the power of the web and have not kept up with the times. then they give us the web stream, and we have to jump through hoops to find it, initiate it and get a half-decent picture. we should already be streaming straight to our tvs with a perfect picture (well, some do, but not most).

i liken it to solar power. there's nothing keeping us from using it on a grand scale. but they're still trying to figure how to attach a cost to accessing the sun and divvy up the profits.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

I wholeheatedly agree with your take! So stupid.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/09/08 1:10 pm    ::: Re: Tape Delay by NBC Faces End Run by Online Fans Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
By BRIAN STELTER
Published: August 8, 2008
NBC, which owns the exclusive rights to broadcast the Olympics in the United States, spent most of Friday trying to keep it that way.

“The Olympics to me is a benchmark for how fast we’ve gone with technology,” Brad Adgate, the senior vice president for research at Horizon Media, a media buying firm in New York, said. “Thirty months ago, no one was talking about YouTube. Now, it’s a verb."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/sports/olympics/09nbc.html

Oh yea, hopefully the people are able to figure out how to keep poking the holes and make them bigger! It doesn't make sense to keep the USA from seeing the openings live.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: