RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fencing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:01 am    ::: Fencing Reply Reply with quote

If you're waiting for the US wbb game at 5 AM (one hour from now), take a look at fencing! The medal rounds are going on now and we have, I believe, three US fencers in the semi's (women's).

Jacobson vs Velikaya is up first.
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8-5 Velikaya leading atm. They're so fast with those parries. O_O I can't even see who wins half the time.
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jacobson ties it up at 10 and then leads 11-10, before being tied up again, then pulls away to win 15-11!

Great comeback and she's into the final round.

I know I said this already, but they're FAAAAST at parries and hitting.

I hear 12 girls band music...
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, this means US will capture at least two of the three medals. Sada will face either Becca Ward or Zagunis, 2004 Olympic Champion.

Oh and this is for sabre fencing. There's also epee and foil apparently...
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ward loses 11-15 to Zagunis. Ward and Zagunis are on the same team in Oregon and have the same coach. The coach refused to coach either one of them for this match so they're on their own for this match. Laughing And all three Americans will be fighting on the same side for the team competitions after this.

So Velikaya vs. Ward for the third place and Zagunis vs. Sada for the gold.
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ward wins a nail-biter, 15-14. Americans will sweep the individual saber medals!
kage

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zagunis wins gold again 15-8 over Sada.
golden33

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mariel lived next door to me my freshman year of college! pretty awesome for her!

RIP DEEETROIT BAASKETBALL
TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very cool for the US.

Not very familiar with the sport so have to ask...

Is the shrieking a usual thing with the sport or is just the athlete kind of like seles (as an example) in tennis?

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND's Zagunis wins first U.S. gold at Beijing

Quote:
BEIJING — Mariel Zagunis stood proudly atop the podium, the first American to do so at these Olympics.

A former president was in the front row — and three red, white and blue flags were rising to the rafters.

“It was a dream come true,” Zagunis said.

The Notre Dame fencer won the first U.S. gold medal of the Beijing Games, leading an American sweep Saturday in women’s saber fencing. Zagunis took the gold with a 15-8 victory over Sada Jacobson, who won the silver. Becca Ward took the bronze.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
bludev03

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't do shoutouts, but if I did, I'd give a big shoutout to Becca Ward for winning bronze! Duke Blue Devil Class of 2012! Cool Cool Cool

An_nic

PostPosted: 08/09/08 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
very cool for the US.

Not very familiar with the sport so have to ask...

Is the shrieking a usual thing with the sport or is just the athlete kind of like seles (as an example) in tennis?

It's is usually in celebration to throw off the opp.

I wish I was that fast on the parries and the reposts. Surprised

"Our greatest fear is not that we are in adequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - Nelson Mandela
ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/10/08 5:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anymore in depth explanation for this sport.? I never really paid attn to it, was browsing videos, and decided to take a look.

Looks like Jousting without the horses. how are points scored, i mean do you just go out there intending to stab you opponent to death, or is there is particular part of the body you have to hit, and how does the computer record it?

braveniler58

PostPosted: 08/10/08 5:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ulynxfan wrote:
anymore in depth explanation for this sport.? I never really paid attn to it, was browsing videos, and decided to take a look.

Looks like Jousting without the horses. how are points scored, i mean do you just go out there intending to stab you opponent to death, or is there is particular part of the body you have to hit, and how does the computer record it?

I'm not very knowledgable, but here's what I know based on what I've seen

-It's not so much poking with the edge of the saber, it's also hitting them with the sides of the saber that will count also.
-Who hits first, etc is determined by the suits they use -- the suit (I don't know how it works) will react when it's been hit by the saber. I assume there's some kind of chip or something between the two. When the fencer is hit, the lights on their helmet will flash (or it could be that it flashes because the user's saber hits the other, I'm not sure).
-The computer is linked to the suit/helmet/saber.
-Pretty sure you have to hit anywhere above the waist, below the neck.

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
ulynxfan wrote:

I'm not very knowledgable, but here's what I know based on what I've seen

-It's not so much poking with the edge of the saber, it's also hitting them with the sides of the saber that will count also.
-Who hits first, etc is determined by the suits they use -- the suit (I don't know how it works) will react when it's been hit by the saber. I assume there's some kind of chip or something between the two. When the fencer is hit, the lights on their helmet will flash (or it could be that it flashes because the user's saber hits the other, I'm not sure).
-The computer is linked to the suit/helmet/saber.
-Pretty sure you have to hit anywhere above the waist, below the neck.

Interesting thanks.

mmaniac

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ulynxfan, if you go to NBCOlympics.com and go to the fencing section they have all of the rules and scoring info, plus a breakdown of the equipment and the differences in scoring for saber, epee and foil.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm rooting for the chinese-canadian 50 year old woman who's made it to the field of 32 or 16, i think.

jujie luan won china's only ever gold at the 1984 olympics, became a canadian citizen in 1994, represented canada in the 2000 olympics and retired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/08/sports/olympics/08fencing.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: