RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Women's Gameday: 8/9 vs. Czech Republic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Is Gail the odds on favorite to be the 2012 coach? Or is it Dawn?

If the selection criteria stay anything like what they were for this go-around, it's Thibault. Two of the requirements were: 1) Must have at least three (3) years of coaching experience as a head coach in the WNBA or any professional league at the time of selection. 2) Must have coached two (2) of the last three (3) years in the WNBA at the time of selection. Obviously that rules out college coaches.

Of course, it's practically the same people that create the criteria that select the coach, so if they want Staley or GG, all they have to do is create different criteria.

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI: Every single game in the round robin, will be at 8AM, so set up your TiVo's & DVR's (except the Mali & NZ games, those r gonna be at 10:15am).

My thoughts on today's game:

1) DMJ played like shit!!
2) Dee & Big Syl did FABULOUS!
3) The words "defense" and "Sue Bird" do not belong in the same sentence!! Laughing
4) Who knew Barney (aka Kara Lawson) would be the most effective PG??
5) Nice to see the men sticking it out!!! (the redeem team indeed)
6) Nice to see the moron in chief made his presence known, but I could've lived without seeing his chimp mug so damn early (yes I hate him that much)
7) The Czech girls wouldn't last a week in the W. They're SOFT! But they made some pretty darn good baskets
Cool A shot everytime Ann Meyers mentions the following: Lisa getting married and/or having a baby last year, Lauren's name, Michael Lockwoods's name, Kara got married in April, Phoenix Mercury, back in 1976, silver medal...

Moving on to China on Monday!!!! FYI: the men play tomorrow at 10AM against China.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
FYI: Every single game in the round robin, will be at 8AM, so set up your TiVo's & DVR's (except the Mali & NZ games, those r gonna be at 10:15am).

My thoughts on today's game:

1) DMJ played like shit!!
2) Dee & Big Syl did FABULOUS!
3) The words "defense" and "Sue Bird" do not belong in the same sentence!! Laughing
4) Who knew Barney (aka Kara Lawson) would be the most effective PG??
5) Nice to see the men sticking it out!!! (the redeem team indeed)
6) Nice to see the moron in chief made his presence known, but I could've lived without seeing his chimp mug so damn early (yes I hate him that much)
7) The Czech girls wouldn't last a week in the W. They're SOFT! But they made some pretty darn good baskets
Cool A shot everytime Ann Meyers mentions the following: Lisa getting married and/or having a baby last year, Lauren's name, Michael Lockwoods's name, Kara got married in April, Phoenix Mercury, back in 1976, silver medal...

Moving on to China on Monday!!!! FYI: the men play tomorrow at 10AM
against China.

Laughing tHAT'S sOME fUNNY sTUff!!! Laughing Laughing

"Legends have the privilege of being ageless"- Sia (movie)
ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

edit, nevermind

DetroitIndyGirl

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:

Very geeky to say but it's so cool to be able to cheer for players I ordinarily don't because they play for the "enemy".

I love the olympics!

I don't think it's geeky. I feel the same way. Smile
It's just so cool to see all of them playing together on one team.

Very nice to see Fowles back in action, and she did a great job. It was mentioned that Tamika had skipped the opening ceremonies to receive treatments for her leg, but thankfully she seemed fine today and played very well. I loved that everyone had a chance to contribute. Great game!!

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Sue's defense was terrible. She had some steals and a block. Shocked Her footwork is much improved. I was afraid that people were going to come to that conclusion when we made the defensive adjustment in the same timeout she was subbed out for Kara. I'm not saying she's a defensive stalwart, but she's not the only one who was missing assignments in the first few minutes. Though I think our bigger problem was getting no offensive rebounds; possession after possession of one and done when the other team is shooting lights out, and yeah, you'll dig a hole.

Still kudos to Kara for bringing the energy and effort. In fact, I was pleased with how fully AD used her rotation. Did anyone else notice Sue's taped up wrist? Or was it a wrist band? Or did she get a new tattoo? Wink

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, no...she didn't do poorly, but Kara was WAY better!!! Sue is not known for her D and that's not my opinion either Very Happy

She did good, but I don't think you can run a full court press with Sue at the point...she's just not quick enough...

[quote="norwester"]I don't think Sue's defense was terrible. She had some steals and a block. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
She did good, but I don't think you can run a full court press with Sue at the point...she's just not quick enough...

True. Even she admits that she's not the quickest of players.

Though I'm always surprised on transition defense how quickly she can run backwards. I like how we mixed up the defensive schemes as a team. Can't wait for the next match.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couple of thoughts as you take those annie meyers shots....

1) most of the people watching the game don't know the WNBA exists, barely knows there's such a thing as women's basketball and couldn't pick DT's nose out of a line up if their life depended on it. Smile

2) As you're shooting, keep track of who initiates the flashback. In my experience, AMD is the direct opposite of NLnolongerCline, and rarely pumps up her name (making no judgement on either modes).

That being said, I did notice that America beat the US?

PostPosted: 08/09/08 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:

Moving on to China on Monday!!!! FYI: the men play tomorrow at 10AM against China.

Yay! A time I'll actually be awake, or at least shortly thereafter. Cool

Sorry, but this 8am shit sucks. Evil or Very Mad My ass is in bed at 8am.

Oh well. At least softball is on at midnight (although they're not playing, yet). I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at midnight. Laughing

bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/09/08 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Couple of thoughts as you take those annie meyers shots....

1) most of the people watching the game don't know the WNBA exists, barely knows there's such a thing as women's basketball and couldn't pick DT's nose out of a line up if their life depended on it. Smile

2) As you're shooting, keep track of who initiates the flashback. In my experience, AMD is the direct opposite of NLnolongerCline, and rarely pumps up her name (making no judgement on either modes).

That being said, I did notice that America beat the US?

Any way you slice it, Ann Meyers is still a sucky broadcaster. Laughing

Then again, we could certainly have worse. We should just be glad Carolyn Peck isn't doing the games. Laughing

norwester

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballequalslife wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Yay! A time I'll actually be awake, or at least shortly thereafter. Cool

Sorry, but this 8am shit sucks. Evil or Very Mad My ass is in bed at 8am.

Oh well. At least softball is on at midnight (although they're not playing, yet). I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at midnight. Laughing

8 AM?! Shocked Boo-hoo. I have to get up at 5 AM. Wink

PostPosted: 08/10/08 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those interested, the game replay is now up on NBC Encore with commentary!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0809_HD_BKW_EN007

Enjoy....again Wink

- Diana Taurasi
bballequalslife

PostPosted: 08/10/08 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

8 AM?! Shocked Boo-hoo. I have to get up at 5 AM. Wink

Sucks for you. Razz Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: